Returning to UK - Options

Looking for some enlightenment re returning to live with Family in UK

Been married to a Thai lady for 6 years and we have a 4 year old. Looking to return to UK to live permanently, what I basically want to know is, do I have any chance of making it happen.

Bit of background info, I own a property in the UK which is mortgage free and i'd be looking to return and either set up my own business, or seek gainful employment. Any chance, or is it a no go as I'm not currently working in the UK.

Cheers in advance for constructive input. 

This is a good place to start http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/524561-uk-settlement-visa-basics/ it covers all the basics, have a good read through it and came back if you need any clarification.

The main stumbling block seems to be the financial requirements that need to be met, these apply whether you have a mortgage free home or not.

What have you been living on in Thailand? If a pension or similar and you will continue to receive that once in the UK then you will be able to use that toward the income requirement.

The financial requirement can also be met by cash savings of at least £62,500 or a combination of income and savings (but not self employed income for some reason).

But savings must be in your name, your wife's or both of you jointly and must have been in your possession and compete control for at least 6 months prior to the application.

See the document linked to by theoldgit for more details.

If you do not have sufficient income or sufficient savings, one option is to remortgage your house, bung the money in the bank for 6 months and then apply.

One of the ridiculous aspects of the financial requirement is that only income and/or savings are looked at; outgoings and debts are ignored. A sponsor can be up to their necks in debt and still meet the requirement because they earn £18,600 p.a., but one who earns £18,599 p.a. and has no debts or other significant outgoings will be automatically refused!