Expectations?

OP what actually is " leaner studies " ? . Also what was the name of the " accredited university " . Was it a full time in person course of one of those on line gigs.
I love the way one member refers to " I don't know why they are so concerned with the degree THINGY " . Oh he is the chap doing the ONLINE masters degree.
Lets not be shy. I did a full time honours degree from the university of Melbourne. Then later in life in order to teach mathematics, due to family situation, I had to do one full year to obtain a diploma of education. .....etc etc.
Not big noting, I am just so over the standard or rather lack of it of the people here and Vietnam etc referring to themselves as English teachers. Give me a break. You get jobs here because they are desperate.
I believe they would be much better off with non native english teachers from places like the Philippines, where in fact their grammar is so much better.

I've just a few questions and points to make, and if it comes across the wrong way then please feel free to tell me so...

What the heck is a bachelors degree in English langauge learner studies?  Is it attached to something like a linguistics department?  Just professional curiousity!

Also, is the degree you're looking for in specific Masters of Arts in Education?  Do you have an option for an M.Ed instead? I think that *may* be a little easier to fly by...though to be honest you may be better off doing a one year intensive teaching license and masters program if you're still back home. 

I guess what I'm getting at is that Masters of Education in X may look better than Masters of Arts in Education. If your degree reads as "Master of Arts in English Language Learner Studies" then I think it may still not be what TCT is looking for...

An English language learner is a student learning English.  English Language Learner Studies is the study of those learning English.  There are many combinations of words to describe this area of study (TEFL, ESL, etc), and ELL is just one of them.

I'm confused about the "Master's of Education" wording requirement.  In the States, and we all know America is the only place that really matters cheesy.gif , it is referred to as a Master's of Arts in Education.  Some areas of study fall under the sciences (Master's of Science in Such and Such) and some fall under the Arts.  But the reference of "Arts" has nothing to do with finger painting. wink.png

My current degree reads, "Master of Arts in English Language Learner Studies."  The Master's degree will read, "Master of Arts in Education."

Ah gotcha thanks for the info, yeah I've not heard about English Language Learner Studies, but TEFL ESL EFL etc. for sure. I was wondering it the program took a more socio-linguistics approach to it's course.

Well, there are a few major ways of wording it back home in America, hence why I bring it up.  The three that come to mind immediately:

Masters of Education (M.Ed) with some sort of subject.  For example, mine reads as an M.Ed TESOL

Masters of Teaching (M.A.T) with some sort of subject.  For example, MAT Elementary Education

Masters of Arts (MA) with various accompanying subjects.

I'd love to hear someone else chime in, but from what I've heard from others I've worked with unless your degree says "education" it in very specifically it causes a problem for TCT and teaching licenses.  So, if your degree reads "Masters of Arts: Education" you'd probably be ok and not have to jump the exam hoops for a teaching license in Thailand. If it reads "Masters of Arts in English Language Learner Studies" it gets more difficult...

For what it's worth, I've heard that even MAT degrees dont cut it, again I don't knowhow true that is just sort of office talk.

Yes, my Master's will read "Education" so it shouldn't be an issue.  And, like yours, it will specify the area of specialization I choose, such as Reading, Mathematics, etc.

Edited by Jason DPC

OP what actually is " leaner studies " ? . Also what was the name of the " accredited university " . Was it a full time in person course of one of those on line gigs.
I love the way one member refers to " I don't know why they are so concerned with the degree THINGY " . Oh he is the chap doing the ONLINE masters degree.
Lets not be shy. I did a full time honours degree from the university of Melbourne. Then later in life in order to teach mathematics, due to family situation, I had to do one full year to obtain a diploma of education. .....etc etc.
Not big noting, I am just so over the standard or rather lack of it of the people here and Vietnam etc referring to themselves as English teachers. Give me a break. You get jobs here because they are desperate.
I believe they would be much better off with non native english teachers from places like the Philippines, where in fact their grammar is so much better.

You amuse me and bore me at the same time.  It's not "learner studies," but rather English Language Learner Studies.  To dumb it down for you, it's the study of English language learners.  Do I need to dumb it down further and define an English language learner?

Also, my degree is from a regionally accredited university.  I'm not sure why you chose to use quotations around the words accredited university, but it's my guess you did so because you don't believe it is indeed accredited.  Since you're not from the U.S., I don't even know if you know what regional accreditation is or the purpose of such a thing, so why bother getting into it with you?

All that matters is the state of Florida, where I'm currently living, has approved my degree as an acceptable one for teaching, and they are issuing me my teaching certification, so shove that in your pipe and smoke it.  tongue.png  How about not feeling so obviously threatened by every teacher who may pass through Thai immigration control at the airport?

You wrote "You get jobs here because they are desperate."  I'll skip the grammar lesson regarding that sentence.  But, you seem to generalize everyone, so I'm guessing you're one of the desperate people you're referring to.  I'm not desperate.  I lived in Thailand before, was not a teacher during that time, and I can live there without being a teacher if I wanted to.  I don't need to work as a teacher in Thailand to stay in the country because my wife is Thai, so I'll just get another non-O visa.  Go spew your BS on another thread.  You're an idiot for viewing my post count and thinking I don't know anything about this subject matter, Thailand, or your lack of intelligence. whistling.gif

• Like 1

I've just a few questions and points to make, and if it comes across the wrong way then please feel free to tell me so...

What the heck is a bachelors degree in English langauge learner studies?  Is it attached to something like a linguistics department?  Just professional curiousity!

Also, is the degree you're looking for in specific Masters of Arts in Education?  Do you have an option for an M.Ed instead? I think that *may* be a little easier to fly by...though to be honest you may be better off doing a one year intensive teaching license and masters program if you're still back home. 

I guess what I'm getting at is that Masters of Education in X may look better than Masters of Arts in Education. If your degree reads as "Master of Arts in English Language Learner Studies" then I think it may still not be what TCT is looking for...

An English language learner is a student learning English.  English Language Learner Studies is the study of those learning English.  There are many combinations of words to describe this area of study (TEFL, ESL, etc), and ELL is just one of them.

I'm confused about the "Master's of Education" wording requirement.  In the States, and we all know America is the only place that really matters cheesy.gif , it is referred to as a Master's of Arts in Education.  Some areas of study fall under the sciences (Master's of Science in Such and Such) and some fall under the Arts.  But the reference of "Arts" has nothing to do with finger painting. wink.png

My current degree reads, "Master of Arts in English Language Learner Studies."  The Master's degree will read, "Master of Arts in Education."

Ah gotcha thanks for the info, yeah I've not heard about English Language Learner Studies, but TEFL ESL EFL etc. for sure. I was wondering it the program took a more socio-linguistics approach to it's course.

Well, there are a few major ways of wording it back home in America, hence why I bring it up.  The three that come to mind immediately:

Masters of Education (M.Ed) with some sort of subject.  For example, mine reads as an M.Ed TESOL

Masters of Teaching (M.A.T) with some sort of subject.  For example, MAT Elementary Education

Masters of Arts (MA) with various accompanying subjects.

I'd love to hear someone else chime in, but from what I've heard from others I've worked with unless your degree says "education" it in very specifically it causes a problem for TCT and teaching licenses.  So, if your degree reads "Masters of Arts: Education" you'd probably be ok and not have to jump the exam hoops for a teaching license in Thailand. If it reads "Masters of Arts in English Language Learner Studies" it gets more difficult...

For what it's worth, I've heard that even MAT degrees dont cut it, again I don't knowhow true that is just sort of office talk.

Yes, my Master's will read "Education" so it shouldn't be an issue.  And, like yours, it will specify the area of specialization I choose, such as Reading, Mathematics, etc.

Sounds great man, good luck when ya arrive.  Just look around for a variety of gigs think you'll have a lot of interested places =)

Just saw you'll have your license too, golden ticket there don't settle for anything less than 60,000 baht minimum and good work conditions.  Even that's low end but you can get by with it the first year and see how it feels from there.

Edited by aarontendo

The teaching certification may not be as great as it sounds.  Here in Florida, I'll be issued a temporary teaching certificate, which will be valid for three years.  They give new teachers here three years to pass the tests needed for the regular (non-temporary) certification.  I won't be here for three years prior to moving to Thailand, so I'm not sure if I will have time to complete the required tests, but I'm going to do what I can to do so and get my regular certification prior to moving to Thailand.  If I don't though, the certification may read "temporary" on it, and if it does, that may be viewed poorly in the eyes of TCT.  But, I suppose it's better than nothing.

There are thousands of teaching jobs in China and the standards there exceed the standards in Thailand. Many Chinese people can speak English and you can get by without knowing Mandarin. Chinese students are dedicated and their parents have high expectations. This makes teaching there relatively easy. 

I lived and taught there for over a year. If you can get employment in an international school your pay will be better but China is a good place to get acquainted with the teaching profession. Even though I had 12 years of College experience, I saw many teachers who had no degree and were rank beginners. It seems if you are white and your native tongue is English that is really all they want. 

I saw some teachers who faked there credentials and the Chinese do not seem to check. I did not like this as I am a serious teacher. 

There are thousands of teaching jobs in China and the standards there exceed the standards in Thailand. Many Chinese people can speak English and you can get by without knowing Mandarin. Chinese students are dedicated and their parents have high expectations. This makes teaching there relatively easy. 

I lived and taught there for over a year. If you can get employment in an international school your pay will be better but China is a good place to get acquainted with the teaching profession. Even though I had 12 years of College experience, I saw many teachers who had no degree and were rank beginners. It seems if you are white and your native tongue is English that is really all they want. 

I saw some teachers who faked there credentials and the Chinese do not seem to check. I did not like this as I am a serious teacher. 

By the way, the Chinese ladies like foreigners.

Thanks for the tips Greg, but I'm going to Thailand because that is where my wife is from and where are son is born.  That being said, I may teach for two years in Thailand and then a year somewhere in the Middle East or another Southeast Asian country.  It seems as though the requirements to teach in the Middle East are generally higher, but they do a better job regarding visas and accommodations, from what I've read.

"Many Chinese people can speak English and you can get by without knowing Mandarin. Chinese students are dedicated and their parents have high expectations. This makes teaching there relatively easy."

I don't know where you lived in China but in Beijing I was hard pressed to find people that spoke English well. There was only one hospital that people could go to. Most banks were a nightmare to deal with. Even shipping a small package back home was troubling for most of the people I knew there.

parents do have high expectations but the kids are not that dedicated overall especially if they come from new money families.

"By the way, the Chinese ladies like foreigners."

Another racist sexpat comment.

"I did not like this as I am a serious teacher."

yeah, seems so from above comment.

Chinese salaries for EFL jobs aren't much better than Thai jobs but since you get apartment and airfare it is overall better.

However, as you stated he does have opportunity for international schools where he could easily make 18-24,000 RMB (100,000+) a month.

Not likely to get that in Thailand.

By the way, the Chinese ladies like foreigners.

Not just the Chinese ladies......