Blood Sugar High, Why?

Boo

I am due to have a surgery tomorrow & in the process of the pre op tests the hospital dicovered my blood sugar level was 20. The UK average is between 3 & 8 so 20 is very high. I hadn't eaten for about 4hrs before blood was taken so wondered if anyone knew of any other reasons why it could be so high (apart from the obvious diebetes of course) :o

Cheers

I think when we want to check blood sugar , It's necessary to withdrawn food/drink 10- 12 hrs.

from your result , I think it was from food . Your blood sugar is at its highest an hour or two after you eat, and then it starts to fall. What you eat, how much you eat and when you eat all affect blood sugar.

other cause is Steriod /Hormone

Bambina is right, also stress (like worry about upcoming surgery) can elevate BS. Since the whole point of a pre-op BS is to screen for diabetes (important to know about since it affects wound healing) I am very surprised they didn't do a fasting blood sugar which is what is required. Anyhow, I trust the hosp will re-test it pre-op first thing tomorrow after you have fasted. If they don't -- ask them to. (They can get the resukts back in minutes if they put a rush on it, and your surgeon really does need to know if you are at all diabetic).

And good luck on your surgery.

I am actually going in tonight for this overnight screening as apposed to tomorrow morning so they will chek this but I am unconvinced it is diebetes as I had extensive gynie surgery at the end of last year & it wasn't an issue then. Just wanted confirmation that it could be the food.

Cheers

I am actually going in tonight for this overnight screening as apposed to tomorrow morning so they will chek this but I am unconvinced it is diebetes as I had extensive gynie surgery at the end of last year & it wasn't an issue then. Just wanted confirmation that it could be the food.

Cheers

Hi There and good luck!

I have been a diabetic on insulin for many years and I would guess from what you say it probably was the food. I take it you have no other symptoms such as being very thirsty, weight loss, and at a reading of 20 very irratable. At least after the screening they should be able to advise you.

Cheers

thanks rawdonlad, no, no extra irratability other than normal (I am a girl after all) :o & no weight loss sadly or extra thirst. Hopefully the results of tonights checks will come out clear. I can imagine how restrictive insulin controlled diabetes can be so my best wishes to you.

Boo