I'm new

jfpro

Welcome to Chiang Mai.  You might want to start by attending an informal coffee meeting of the Chiang Mai Expats Club.  The next one is - if I'm not mistaken - on Friday, 15 August.  If you google Chiang Mai Expats Club you should find the information re: when the club meets and where.  Again, welcome aboard!  Or is that "welcome abroad"?

• Like 1

Welcome to Chiang Mai.  You might want to start by attending an informal coffee meeting of the Chiang Mai Expats Club.  The next one is - if I'm not mistaken - on Friday, 15 August.  If you google Chiang Mai Expats Club you should find the information re: when the club meets and where.  Again, welcome aboard!  Or is that "welcome abroad"?

You are correct it is at the River Market on the first and third Friday of every month. It has a buffet for westerner's with a little bit of stirred fried rice. Starts at 10:00 until about noon. The cost is 220 baht for a  member and 270 baht for a non member. Or you can just come and meet people.

The expat club meets at 10:30 on the 4th Saturday of the month at the LaMeridian hotel on the 4th floor. come at 10:00 for early seating and a cup of coffee.

There are other organizations in the area I am sure people will tell you about.

I might add an address with all kinds of information as to events in Chiang Mai. He puts out a list of events regularly.

Welcome to Chiang Mai

steve yarnold

Edited by Boo
email removed as per forum rules
  • Like 1

Age?

Nationality?

Interests?

What you're doing in Chiang Mai?

would be a good start. 

OP, what he meant to say was, "Hi, welcome aboard.  There are plenty of diverse people with diverse interests here so I'm sure you'll be able to find friends with common interests.  Stick around and get to know people, it's a nice community."  

Not all members here post overwhelmingly negative and/or confrontational messages.  You'll learn to discern amongst the crowd.  

• Like 1

I have visited Chiang Mai twice this year. I am a member of CouchSurfing.org they have a dinner meet every Wednesday and on Fridays, people meet at the Focus Gallery & Bar near Maya shopping center in Nimmenheim. The Wednesday dinners are held in various places, the food is quite inexpensive, usually 30-40 people show up. 

A few expat bars around - good places to make friends (even if you don't drink) - though none as good as the old Guitarman, Olde Bell and original Tuskers :( (try (Un)Irish, The Pub, Dog and Bone, Geckos, O'Malleys, Red Lion, John Place, Mad Dogs (if geriatric), and so on ). Plenty of clubs too (check out Chiang Mai Mail or Citylife (latter is free - but disappears very quickly - found in bars/coffee places/and UG's 2nd hand bookshops around town) - they have lists of clubs (photography, hashers, cycle club, bridge club, and so on). Even some of the bars down Loi Kroh (towards the middle of the road, not the moat end, are full of expats). Yummie Pizza (music on Wednesday - owner is Toni) - has a facebook page, do a search, many expats there at weekends and Wed (may need to book a seat on Wed). Good luck. 

• Like 1

Hey Wolf 5370
And the Irish, o'malleys, gecko, and the pub are young men's bars. And john's place. You would send a newbie to get ripped off by middle age "waitresses". How about NUMBER 1? Young men there too?
So next time you in MADDOG's ask for mr. Chow.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Age?

Nationality?

Interests?

would be a good start. 

OP, what he meant to say was, "Hi, welcome aboard.  There are plenty of diverse people with diverse interests here so I'm sure you'll be able to find friends with common interests.  Stick around and get to know people, it's a nice community."  

Not all members here post overwhelmingly negative and/or confrontational messages.  You'll learn to discern amongst the crowd.  

Tip: Sometimes the photo they use tells you something.

Hi! Everyone!

I'm totally new to this I'm bill aka Mr. Bill.... need about a ton of info on moving to Thailand im a disabled navy vet (not service connected) have a bad ankle that makes me use a cane on bad days etc. looking for a thai wife when I move there and need visa info etc. and know a lot of girls on facebook that all agree chiang mai is a good place and Phuket pattaya and Bangkok are more expensive etc.  I ONLY GET 900.00  per month.. the main reason I want (NEED)  to live in a third world country. PLUS I love THAI GIRLS LOL! I went to the realestate site recommended by this  site and living in Thailand on facebook and have already talked to "SIMON". very nice guy from a very legitimate company and told him my situation. he agrees that I could get A BEAUTIFUL  studio apt fully furnished for  150-170.00 USD per month. SAW THEM AT http://perfecthomes.co.th/property/pp-condominium-inexpensive-modern-studio-room-to-rent/ I WOULD BE IN HEAVEN LOL!! I saw a bill estimate and I would be around 215.00-300 per month in something like this....I would be waaay better off there than here. so im going to sell all my stuff and raise about 10k to do it after I pay my bills off I would have about 3-4 k to make the move. IS THIS A GOOD PLAN?  im up against the wall... I figure any move I make will be f-o-r-w-a-r-d!... haha.... any advice will be taken with much appreciation!!

thanks!

BILL

P.S. I COULDN'T FIND THE NEWGUY FORUM...AM I IN THE RIGHT PLACE? HAHA

Edited by ITSMRBILL

Age?

Nationality?

Interests?

would be a good start. 

speaking of photos how do I put up a profile pic lol.. it says its too large how do I make it smaller? thanks

Age?

Nationality?

Interests?

would be a good start. 

speaking of photos how do I put up a profile pic lol.. it says its too large how do I make it smaller? thanks

sorry lol new to posting on forums too hahaha thought all that was on my profile. BILL 54 YRS old building a webstore (will need good internet btw) was just told that chiang mai region was a good place to live with a better blend of cheap vs. expensive unlike Bangkok with the touristy problems etc. and any beach town would be much costlyier etc. im in sacamento ca. now but moving back to florida at the end of this month where I will start selling off my stuff to get money to make the move. us citizen but could leave and never look back at this point haha.

Chiang Mai is a wonderful place to meet new people. As many have said, the bars at night are filled with people. But if you're not a bar person, consider the fact that there are hundreds of lovely guest house restaurants serving delicious, inexpensive meals in delightful settings. Many expats eat all their meals in guest house restaurants, often have regular breakfast, dinner, or lunch venues where they can eat while chatting with others. Better ambiance than the typical shop house eateries, often garden settings.

But consider THIS venue... ThaiVisa! You have already 'met' several people with whom you probably share many interests. You can message them and arrange meetings too. Often someone will "LIKE" something that you've posted and contact you. You always get a notification when someone "LIKES" your post... even if they remove the like afterwards. No hiding allowed on ThaiVisa, which I am finding is frequently very good for a laugh!

Edited by FolkGuitar
  • Like 1

Hi! Everyone!

I'm totally new to this I'm bill aka Mr. Bill.... need about a ton of info on moving to Thailand im a disabled navy vet (not service connected) have a bad ankle that makes me use a cane on bad days etc. looking for a thai wife when I move there and need visa info etc. and know a lot of girls on facebook that all agree chiang mai is a good place and Phuket pattaya and Bangkok are more expensive etc.  I ONLY GET 900.00  per month.. the main reason I want (NEED)  to live in a third world country. PLUS I love THAI GIRLS LOL! I went to the realestate site recommended by this  site and living in Thailand on facebook and have already talked to "SIMON". very nice guy from a very legitimate company and told him my situation. he agrees that I could get A BEAUTIFUL  studio apt fully furnished for  150-170.00 USD per month. SAW THEM AT http://perfecthomes.co.th/property/pp-condominium-inexpensive-modern-studio-room-to-rent/ I WOULD BE IN HEAVEN LOL!! I saw a bill estimate and I would be around 215.00-300 per month in something like this....I would be waaay better off there than here. so im going to sell all my stuff and raise about 10k to do it after I pay my bills off I would have about 3-4 k to make the move. IS THIS A GOOD PLAN?  im up against the wall... I figure any move I make will be f-o-r-w-a-r-d!... haha.... any advice will be taken with much appreciation!!

thanks!

BILL

you will need at least 25.000 Dollar on the bank to get a retirement visa.

You can read on this forum that back to back tourist visa's are not allowed any more.

Good luck.

• Like 1

sorry lol new to posting on forums too hahaha thought all that was on my profile. BILL 54 YRS old building a webstore (will need good internet btw) was just told that chiang mai region was a good place to live with a better blend of cheap vs. expensive unlike Bangkok with the touristy problems etc. and any beach town would be much costlyier etc. im in sacamento ca. now but moving back to florida at the end of this month where I will start selling off my stuff to get money to make the move. us citizen but could leave and never look back at this point haha.

You should seriously think of staying where you are.
Thailand is not a good place for illegal workers at the moment.

Florida is great, if I were living there, I wouldn't be moving to a 3rd world banana republic under an increasingly repressive military junta.

Hi! Everyone!

thanks!

BILL

Welcome to the ThaiVisa forum, Mr Bill.  This forum (and I don't mean just the Chiang Mai section) is a great resource for information on moving to/living in Thailand.

My suggestion would be to begin first by reading the Thai Visa section - as you probably already know, you can't just "move" to Thailand.  You'll need some sort of visa to stay here (legally) over the long term so finding out what type of visa you might qualify for is a good start.

You should probably also do a search for one of the many "how much does it cost to live in Chiang Mai" threads that are stored in the database here.  You'll get several different perspectives on how much money one would need to live here and those perspectives are provided by members who've either been here or live here now.  

If you are primarily reliant upon VA or military sponsored health care, you should probably also research as to whether that can be used in Thailand.  

Good luck with you information gathering and the impending move to Florida.  

Edited by Diplomatico

Hi! Everyone!

thanks!

BILL

you will need at least 25.000 Dollar on the bank to get a retirement visa.

You can read on this forum that back to back tourist visa's are not allowed any more.

Good luck.

Agreed I was thinking while he can live here on $900 a month the visa situation has to be faced. No longer going to be able to game the situation. At least they are putting an end to it. Need 800,000 baht in the bank prior to applying for a retirement visa or a guaranteed income of 65,000 baht a month for retirement. Can maybe get ed visa. Not sure of the details on that one.

If you are getting disability from the Navy can you not get a disability from SS?

Bill,

NancyL is a well respected figure in Chiang Mai and, if I were you, I would heed her advice particularly in regard to the cost of local health services. There are many elderly people here that are caught in the 'poverty/ill health' trap. Sure, its a great place to live if you have sufficient funds, good health insurance and be lucky or wise enough to find a good Thai lady.

Anyway, please consider all aspects [lots of topics on this Forum] before you make a final decision.

Good luck,

• Like 1

Age?

Nationality?

Interests?

would be a good start. 

Talk about reading between the lines. Good grief.

rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

First of all, drop the lols and hahas, they make you sound childish. Secondly, forget about moving to Thailand, the chances are you'll lose what little money you have and live to regret it. You have nowhere near the amount of money you need to live here and you come across as being ripe for being ripped off. Anyone that's been here a while has seen guys like you come and go and lose everything in the process. Don't do it. You have been warned..... again. Edited by Chiengmaijoe
  • Like 1

Age?
Nationality?
Interests?

would be a good start. 

How do you know what he meant to say and why are you speaking on his behalf? There is nothing negative or confrontational about his post, just a simple request for relevant information. Diplomatico?! In what way?