Embassy letter confirming monthly income - what types of income?

I have learned from this forum that you need a proof of income or funds in a Thai Bank if you want to apply for a 1-year extension based on marriage with a Thai citizen.

If you want to go the "monthly income" route you need a letter from your embassy that confirms that your monthly income is 40.000 baht or more.

So far so good ...

But then what types of monthly income can that be?

Early pension, income from renting out property? Anything that has nothing to do with work?

It cannot be a salary statement from an employment in Europe since that would imply that you are working for your money and that would raise suspicion one might continue working while in Thailand?

Or can it?

Do the embassies care about the type of income or are they just confirming the income without stating the type of income on the letter.

I am a little confused here since I wonder what types of income are suitable.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

gross,can be anything as long as its income and you have proof of same,p60s, dividends statements,income statements (sales of shares)tax rebates,winter fuel allowance,lol.almost anything producing income.just itimise everthing and provide documented prove, easy.except for cost of letter.

I know that the embassy is not the thai immigration but in my head I see the following situation coming up when asking for this letter:
Oh, you have a salary statement from your employer in Europe? So you are employed in Europe? Why do you want to apply for a one year extension based on marriage that does not allow you to work in Thailand but at the same time your are employed in Europe? Why should your employer in Europe pay you a monthly salary while you are sitting in Thailand doing nothing because you are not allowed to work in Thailand?
  • Like 1

I know that the embassy is not the thai immigration but in my head I see the following situation coming up when asking for this letter:
Oh, you have a salary statement from your employer in Europe? So you are employed in Europe? Why do you want to apply for a one year extension based on marriage that does not allow you to work in Thailand but at the same time your are employed in Europe? Why should your employer in Europe pay you a monthly salary while you are sitting in Thailand doing nothing because you are not allowed to work in Thailand?

You think too much.

Just produce the required paperwork and enjoy the results.

I think his concerns are valid. Remember that Immigration can ask for additional source proof on top of the Embassy confirmation.

Better to think too much than not enough in these matters.

OP, wait for more opinions and experiences.......

• Like 1

Hello All,

Maybe i can jump on this topic with an extra question....

In case you rent out property in Thailand, can this be used towards the 40.000 Baht monthly income level. ?

Lets say, i bought a condo in my name, or a house via the company route, and rent it out for 60K a month, pay the income tax for the property, and use this as income.

Is this possible, or need the income be from abroad ?

thanks

Alex

You think too much.

Just produce the required paperwork and enjoy the results.

I think his concerns are valid. Remember that Immigration can ask for additional source proof on top of the Embassy confirmation.

Better to think too much than not enough in these matters.

OP, wait for more opinions and experiences.......

No, they're not valid.

Sources of income are irrelevant to immigration, all that matters is the paper.

And working back home is no indication at all of work in Thailand, it might even be better.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 2

The Australian, UK  and European Embassies may supply different document of proof, you will have to find that out from your Embassy.

Australia require you to fill in a Statutory Declaration (STATDEC).

I write down what Pension I receive from the Australian Government twice a month and what monthly interest I receive from my cash in the bank.

Total the gross monthly pension and interest together in Aussie Dollars and sign the Statdec.

This is then stamped and witnessed by the OZ Embassy for a small fee.

The Thai Immigration calculate the OZ $ to Thai Baht on the day you apply for the Visa required.

If the amount covers the required monthly income, that the Thai Immigration want for you to have an Extension of stay/Retirement Stamp in your passport, you do not have to produce a Thai bank book or statement from the bank.

Well for Danish people, we can use monthly salary statement from work, pension and so on 

We can all so use our yearly Tax paper (tax statement).

I know i might not be same on other country Embassy.

Beside that in May this year i did my first Married-Extension at Nonthaburi Immigration, and even so i have my Income letter.

They want to see proof of me transfer 40.000 baht pr more into Thailand, So they want copy on that Thai bank book i use to transfer my money to.

Only a information, as i know many others here in Thailand on Married-Extension at other Immigration, Don´t need to show proof beside income letter.  

And working back home is no indication at all of work in Thailand, it might even be better.

Immigration officers aren't complete morons. They can see if you've been outside of the country or not and if you're having income from employment from outside Thailand during that time, it's pretty obvious you've been working under radar in Thailand. If they care or not .. well it's a nice little one for some tea money at least.

Please can anyone tell me if the British Embassy need to see the original P60 and/or a lettered headed and stamped letter from my employer showing my income?  Would scanned copies actually suffice? I've just tried phoning, but they are closed on Friday afternoons!  Many thanks in advance.

Immigration officers aren't complete morons. They can see if you've been outside of the country or not and if you're having income from employment from outside Thailand during that time, it's pretty obvious you've been working under radar in Thailand. If they care or not .. well it's a nice little one for some tea money at least.

That's what I fear. Although this might be more true for a second 1 year extension.

If you have been in Europe in year 1 and apply for the 1 year extension for year 2 then it should not be a problem (I guess).

I have problems in understanding the sources of income suitable. 

What about others who are going this route? What sources of income are they using when applying for this letter from the embassy?

And what about the nature of this 40.000 baht rule anyway?

As far as I understand Thai immigration would like to see a proof that you can finance your and your wife's stay in Thailand for the duration of the extension.

But then where is the point in showing proof of income from previous months (or maybe even a summary of the last year / last 12 months)?

Either you had income from renting out property for example ... or (and here is my original problem or worry) from an employment in Europe ... what do these "past" statements tell about your finances in the next 12 months to come?

Your property could have burned down ;-) or your contract finished. Maybe there is no more money coming from these income sources.

So, can anyone provide experiences from actually applying for these letters from an Embassy.

What do the want to see?

What do they write in the letter?

I know ... different embassies different processes, but still ...

I am also still interested in my original question about showing proof of income through a salary in Europe and the potential implication of working illegaly in Thailand then.

Thanks a lot to all of you so far

Edited by tfranz

Well for Danish people, we can use monthly salary statement from work, pension and so on 

We can all so use our yearly Tax paper (tax statement).

I know i might not be same on other country Embassy.

Beside that in May this year i did my first Married-Extension at Nonthaburi Immigration, and even so i have my Income letter.

They want to see proof of me transfer 40.000 baht pr more into Thailand, So they want copy on that Thai bank book i use to transfer my money to.

Only a information, as i know many others here in Thailand on Married-Extension at other Immigration, Don´t need to show proof beside income letter.  

It's the same in the Swedish Embassy

For Austrians - the Austrian embassy will issue a proof of income only if your income is derived from the government - e.g. a government pension.

If you have other income, they don't care. They told me they have no way of verifying and so they won't do it.

For Americans (USA), it couldn't be simpler. You fill out a form at the US embassy saying you make a certain amount per month. You sign it. They give you the official confirmation. They don't check - they take your word for it.

• Like 1

Please can anyone tell me if the British Embassy need to see the original P60 and/or a lettered headed and stamped letter from my employer showing my income?  Would scanned copies actually suffice? I've just tried phoning, but they are closed on Friday afternoons!  Many thanks in advance.

Nope, it definitely has to be the originals, I'm afraid. That said, they do accept copies of tenancy agreements as supporting evidence for property rental income given that the originals will most likely be held by managing agents back in the UK.

A word of warning about using the P60 as income evidence, though. This will be based on the previous year's rates and will therefore not reflect any increases in the current year. Not likely to be an issue as regards the State Pension, of course, since we are debarred from receiving the annual increases here in Thailand. But could be one with an occupational pension.

• Like 1

Hello All,
Maybe i can jump on this topic with an extra question....

In case you rent out property in Thailand, can this be used towards the 40.000 Baht monthly income level. ?
Lets say, i bought a condo in my name, or a house via the company route, and rent it out for 60K a month, pay the income tax for the property, and use this as income.
Is this possible, or need the income be from abroad ?
thanks
Alex

If you base your extension based on income in Thailand you will need to show personal corporation income Tax (PND.1) latest 3 months and personal income tax for previous year with receipt (PND.91)

I see here the typical "western" approach to bureaucracy, worrying about substance, and reversal of roles, "if I was the IO"

Well, you are not him/her, you're the applicant. You only have to prepare an application that is spotless, and with that I mean that "it looks good" literally.

Clearly written. dates matching. Forms filled in full, clear copies, "back-up documents" kept separated to not add confusion, and given only if asked. If using a bank account get the letter the same day, make sure you have not  used it at all for the previous three months. Just use a separate account for any other need. Dress nicely, what about skipping the nasty bermuda and sandals for a day. 

And finally why worrying before he fact. First, you get the information. Then you prepare and present the application. If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set.

I agree with you to a certain degree and I started this thread ;-)

But ...

Let's say you are staying with your Thai wife in Europe and plan the next year or more in Thailand.

You apply for a single entry Non O in Europe.

You fly to Thailand and your plan is to apply for a 1 year extension after two months (?) and then you find out that your source of income is not suitable to get a letter - or even worse gets rejected by Thai immigration.

That is a big risk to take.

So ... I don't like it but I have to "worry" before taking the next steps.

"If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set."

Well, what might this plan B be then? A multiple entry Non O based on marriage? With border runs? Border runs is not exactly a save way to stay in Thailand at the moment (how can we know when they crackdown on border runs on an Non O?).

Oh, and on a sidenote: I am always dressed appropriate ... at immigration or in a pub or elsewhere ;-)

I am also keen to see if this can work for me.

Take this as an example: Company setup in the UK with one other partner who is based there, we have 3 employees who work for the company. I take a percentage of the profits every month which is usually around £2k but don't actually do any work. Would i be able to claim dividend income or something based on being a non'exec director or something?

I see here the typical "western" approach to bureaucracy, worrying about substance, and reversal of roles, "if I was the IO"

Well, you are not him/her, you're the applicant. You only have to prepare an application that is spotless, and with that I mean that "it looks good" literally.

Clearly written. dates matching. Forms filled in full, clear copies, "back-up documents" kept separated to not add confusion, and given only if asked. If using a bank account get the letter the same day, make sure you have not  used it at all for the previous three months. Just use a separate account for any other need. Dress nicely, what about skipping the nasty bermuda and sandals for a day. 

And finally why worrying before he fact. First, you get the information. Then you prepare and present the application. If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set.

But ...

Let's say you are staying with your Thai wife in Europe and plan the next year or more in Thailand.

You fly to Thailand and your plan is to apply for a 1 year extension after two months (?) and then you find out that your source of income is not suitable to get a letter - or even worse gets rejected by Thai immigration.

"If it is refused, take exact note of what has to be corrected, fix it and you will be all set."

Well, what might this plan B be then? A multiple entry Non O based on marriage? With border runs? Border runs is not exactly a save way to stay in Thailand at the moment (how can we know when they crackdown on border runs on an Non O?).

Again, you're placing the horses before the cart.

If you have enough income, your yearly extensions application will be granted, period.

Otherwise you can get a 60 days extensions on the basis of visiting Thai wife, no need to show any financials. In that case you would do border runs every 5 months when having a multi-entry non-imm O, for a total of 17 months in country.

There is no crackdown for visa holders. 

This makes no sense. He's talking about sources of income derived/paid in Europe. If the embassy certifies it, that's it. There's nothing that would imply that income from Europe means he's working in Thailand.

"If they care or not .. well it's a nice little one for some tea money at least."

You're suggesting someone in Immigrations is going to take a bribe to accept an embassy statement? Wow the farang fantasy factory is up and running again, blowing smoke 24/7.

stock-footage-smoke-stacks-of-petroleum-

But ...

Oh, and on a sidenote: I am always dressed appropriate ... at immigration or in a pub or elsewhere ;-)

You are making this extremely difficult for yourself and for us to answer.  Please state the real situation rather than theoretical ones.  Everything depends on your embassy's requirements for the proof of income letter. Thai immigrations have been accepting such letters for years in lieu of lots of confusing details in a non-Thai language for them to sort through.

Contact your embassy and ask them what they need.

If you are not yet in Thailand, contact the Thai consulate/embassy you wish to deal with and ask them what proof of income paperwork they need.

As an American, married to a Thai, I just got an affidavit  signed at my Embassy stating I made so much a month. They did not ask from what source, but the bigger issue might be satisfying Immigrations when it comes to getting the married visa, They wanted both the 400,0000 TB in a Thai bank for 2 months PLUS 40,000 TB a month income being deposited into the bank for at least two months prior.  Ultimately, I paid a visa fixer to get it done since I did not have the 400,000 in the bank . Apparently, the either 400,000 OR 40,000 was confusing to me or to Immigrations.  Seven years later, I still pay the visa fixer to get the annual renewals since money in the bank, not monthly income, is still a problem with me.  Good luck

It can be pretty much anything. But you have to check first with you embassy/consulate as there are differencea among countries on what they do and don't.

As an American, married to a Thai, I just got an affidavit  signed at my Embassy stating I made so much a month. They did not ask from what source, but the bigger issue might be satisfying Immigrations when it comes to getting the married visa, They wanted both the 400,0000 TB in a Thai bank for 2 months PLUS 40,000 TB a month income being deposited into the bank for at least two months prior.  Ultimately, I paid a visa fixer to get it done since I did not have the 400,000 in the bank . Apparently, the either 400,000 OR 40,000 was confusing to me or to Immigrations.  Seven years later, I still pay the visa fixer to get the annual renewals since money in the bank, not monthly income, is still a problem with me.  Good luck

Where is this? Some offices like to not apply the rules as they are written, it is useful for members to know and be prepared. 

When I do my letter I always highlight the gross income because that is what I am paid it is not of any interest to the Thai immigration that I pay taxes in another country with the British Embassy you have to show proof of income it could be pension interest from saving income from a property rental at the. End of the day they want to see proof I believe under the USA all you do is swear an affidavit that you have income of x amount every month in other words they count on your honesty