There is some wisdom in the old way of doing things: Thailand

webfact

pedro01, on 08 Aug 2014 - 11:10, said:

The kid was born & raised in Thailand - he's Thai.

So all I see in this article is the xenophobic knee jerk reaction of the author.

And did you know the Thai King was born in the US, born 1927, came to Thailand 1928, guess that makes him a yank. So, it goes to show, a foreigner can reach a high status.

This writer is a douche: The kid was born in Thailand so is just as likely to learn the language as his genetically superior Thai peers rolleyes.gif

The only douche is the one that wrote something that shows he has poor comprehension, and also shows how uncouth he is by calling the writer of an opinion piece a "douche".

"Actually, it's not really such a big deal to see a Myanmarese boy winning this competition"

The gist of the article had nothing to do with genetics or the boy.

I have no time for anyone that alludes to a racist way of thinking - this writer included.  I do understand the gist of the article and he raises some valid points, but it does not excuse hi, in my eyes of being another racist douche.

"One item of news shocked me late last month....It was about the 12-year-old son of Myanmar migrant workers....it's not really such a big deal to see a Myanmarese boy winning this competition. After all, as they say, practice makes perfect."

The writer is shocked that someone without "pure blood" could beat the Thais at their own language - my point is that there isn't some special "gene" that gives you the ability to speak Thai...if I were born here, I would be fluent in Thai: No shock there coffee1.gif

Ok, I see your point. I read it as he was shocked that it made news...."it's not really such a big deal...".

iReason, on 08 Aug 2014 - 12:04, said:

"...spelling is taught based on how the word is written..."

Seems logical to me...

Have to admit, I had to read it a few times, I thought I had read it incorrectly

"In my time, two or three decades ago, Thai-language teachers used to be the strictest - demanding that reading, writing and enunciation be perfect in their classes."

Love it when someone who thinks they know all about education, yet have never taught, writes a story like this.

Copy and repeat, copy and repeat ad nauseam. It doesn't develop thinking, innovation, understanding or a child who is capable of problem solving. Yes reading, writing and speaking are important but they should not be seen as the only aspects that decide on whether an educator is developing an independent, thinking, confident and capable student.

Can they problem solve? Can they use previous learning in a new situation? Do they thrive in unfamiliar situations? Can they cooperate with their peers as well as work (learn) independently? Do they relish challenges?

These are as important.

About 5 decades or so I learnt by rote. There were pictures plastered around the nursery school.

A is for Apple, B is for Bat, C is for Cat etc

.I also learnt 1 and 1 is 2 , 1 and 2 is 3, 1 and 3 is 4.

Then I got smart and learnt that 1 times 1 is 1 and 2 times 2 is 4 .

With these basics drummed in to my head I learnt algebra.

Quadratic equations.

Then I used a slide rule to learn logarithms.

Calculus. 

I think in 40 years or so of engineering I have picked up the basics of independent thought and have, on occasions,had  the opportunity to problem solve, have had the odd moment to question accepted practice and even to come up with some ideas of my own. 

Not sure what you are going on about.biggrin.png

"In my time, two or three decades ago, Thai-language teachers used to be the strictest - demanding that reading, writing and enunciation be perfect in their classes."

Love it when someone who thinks they know all about education, yet have never taught, writes a story like this.

Copy and repeat, copy and repeat ad nauseam. It doesn't develop thinking, innovation, understanding or a child who is capable of problem solving. Yes reading, writing and speaking are important but they should not be seen as the only aspects that decide on whether an educator is developing an independent, thinking, confident and capable student.

Can they problem solve? Can they use previous learning in a new situation? Do they thrive in unfamiliar situations? Can they cooperate with their peers as well as work (learn) independently? Do they relish challenges?

These are as important.

About 5 decades or so I learnt by rote. There were pictures plastered around the nursery school.

A is for Apple, B is for Bat, C is for Cat etc

.I also learnt 1 and 1 is 2 , 1 and 2 is 3, 1 and 3 is 4.

Then I got smart and learnt that 1 times 1 is 1 and 2 times 2 is 4 .

With these basics drummed in to my head I learnt algebra.

Quadratic equations.

Then I used a slide rule to learn logarithms.

Calculus. 

I think in 40 years or so of engineering I have picked up the basics of independent thought and have, on occasions,had  the opportunity to problem solve, have had the odd moment to question accepted practice and even to come up with some ideas of my own. 

Not sure what you are going on about.biggrin.png

If you were a primary school teacher you would.
:-)

And yes I agree we need to teach the basics.

However how you teach and the learning skills you encourage are as important as what you teach.

I've been reflecting on this opinion piece for a couple of days now. The author raises some reasonable points about the changing landscape of education, pedagogy, assessment and son. It is a debate raging all around the world. I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak, nor to I subscribe to the notion that if it was good enough for me thirty years ago then why don't we stick to that system. Clearly the world is a different place to what it is was even twenty years ago. Education, or more specifically learning, needs to evolve and adapt to these changing times. We need to keep the good from the past and fold that into new systems of teaching and learning. The rote learning approach has been roundly condemned but in some cases it has its uses, the times table for example. Like many issues we need to move away from polar opposite views to a position somewhere near the middle ground.

One thing also stuck out for me and it was this sentence;

Is Thai history and the very essence of Thainess being instilled in Thai students?

Part of the problem with Thai history is the way it is written ad also the content. It is written in a very xenophobic manner which is designed to elicit feelings of blind nationalism and patriotism rather than allowing the learner to really learn about why Thailand is the way it is and indeed learn also about its neighbors and world events that shaped the rest of the world and their impact on Thailand, for example the spread of communism, the so-called Vietnam War etc. And then of course there is that old chestnut 'Thainess'. So what exactly is it? My problem with these types of questions is that they usually rely on outdated stereotypes. Is a successful Thai businessperson whose great grandparents emigrated here from Yunnan 200 hundred years ago any less Thai than a Lisu hill tribe family, the tailor from Sukhumvit Rd.  or a Muslim fisherman from Pattani? What is Thainess. Is it being a smiley, happy person who is loyal to the Monarchy, looks after their parents, visits the Wat, eats green curry and uses skin whitening cream? If you are an  olive-skinned, somtam eating rice farmer from Sakhon Nakon you may disagree.

So what is the essence of Thainess?

I've been reflecting on this opinion piece for a couple of days now. The author raises some reasonable points about the changing landscape of education, pedagogy, assessment and son. It is a debate raging all around the world. I don't believe in throwing the baby out with the bathwater, so to speak, nor to I subscribe to the notion that if it was good enough for me thirty years ago then why don't we stick to that system. Clearly the world is a different place to what it is was even twenty years ago. Education, or more specifically learning, needs to evolve and adapt to these changing times. We need to keep the good from the past and fold that into new systems of teaching and learning. The rote learning approach has been roundly condemned but in some cases it has its uses, the times table for example. Like many issues we need to move away from polar opposite views to a position somewhere near the middle ground.

Is Thai history and the very essence of Thainess being instilled in Thai students?

Part of the problem with Thai history is the way it is written ad also the content. It is written in a very xenophobic manner which is designed to elicit feelings of blind nationalism and patriotism rather than allowing the learner to really learn about why Thailand is the way it is and indeed learn also about its neighbors and world events that shaped the rest of the world and their impact on Thailand, for example the spread of communism, the so-called Vietnam War etc. And then of course there is that old chestnut 'Thainess'. So what exactly is it? My problem with these types of questions is that they usually rely on outdated stereotypes. Is a successful Thai businessperson whose great grandparents emigrated here from Yunnan 200 hundred years ago any less Thai than a Lisu hill tribe family, the tailor from Sukhumvit Rd.  or a Muslim fisherman from Pattani? What is Thainess. Is it being a smiley, happy person who is loyal to the Monarchy, looks after their parents, visits the Wat, eats green curry and uses skin whitening cream? If you are an  olive-skinned, somtam eating rice farmer from Sakhon Nakon you may disagree.

Its funny about this "essence of thainess".

It didn't exist in the English language press when I first arrived in Thailand and I think it has really increased in importance since the start of the incredibly divisive street protests.

Thailand has become polarised around absolutes of loyalty and this is Thainess now. It is a show of love and loyalty that has a political connotation.

It is of course a false construct and a delusion because to love something also means to acknowledge its faults and be honest about them. Thainess has become a false hysteria that cannot abide the truth.

Lord, I can't believe people are trying to see a symbol in this kid getting acknowledged for his efforts. 

I'll bet the kid can't write in Burmese well at all because his education and studies have been in Thai. He's just like any Thai kid...  

I mentioned this story to a Chinese-Thai friend, who defended the position of Thai people being upset that they were beaten by a "foreign".

So I asked her: "What about you? The folks complaining about this don't consider you Thai either. You're just as much as threat as this kid."

This is really an example of how nationalism gets people thinking screwy. I wish I heard more people in this country point out how silly people are being by making this an issue, but so far I haven't heard that even once.

I'll bet this kid is getting alot of flack for his success. It's really too bad...

I doubt he has Thai citizenship which would not make him like any other Thai kid...

CB

This writer is a douche: The kid was born in Thailand so is just as likely to learn the language as his genetically superior Thai peers rolleyes.gif

The only douche is the one that wrote something that shows he has poor comprehension, and also shows how uncouth he is by calling the writer of an opinion piece a "douche".

"Actually, it's not really such a big deal to see a Myanmarese boy winning this competition"

The gist of the article had nothing to do with genetics or the boy.

I have no time for anyone that alludes to a racist way of thinking - this writer included.  I do understand the gist of the article and he raises some valid points, but it does not excuse hi, in my eyes of being another racist douche.

"One item of news shocked me late last month....It was about the 12-year-old son of Myanmar migrant workers....it's not really such a big deal to see a Myanmarese boy winning this competition. After all, as they say, practice makes perfect."

The writer is shocked that someone without "pure blood" could beat the Thais at their own language - my point is that there isn't some special "gene" that gives you the ability to speak Thai...if I were born here, I would be fluent in Thai: No shock there coffee1.gif
Where did the author talked about pure blood and genes of Thai language? Only in your imagination I suppose. He just points out that his (the young student) background might not help him to be excellent in Thai. Who can answer his questions in Thai at home? His Burmese parents? Do you think his parents are diplomats and they can speak a fluent Thai? Do you think they can afford a tutor? This is what you didn't understand or refused to do so.

These are as important.

My Thai /English Daughter has been taught free thinking by me! she sees shapes and pictures in clouds,and has a good imagination!my Thai wife has a Uni Degree and sees nothing!

Edited by MAJIC
  • Like 1

At least in Thailand they are still teaching the children how to write in the Thai language, in USA

the students don't get cursory writing anymore, They know how to print, and how to use a computer,

but  in a few or several years, you won't see any fancy writings  as so many people will not know

how to write, only how to print their signature. In Canada, I have seen many students that

can not write to save their lives, my niece, who had grade 12, wrote me a letter that was about

a grade 4 standard, any words that were a bit difficult were misspelled. She spelled tho instead of

though, nite instead of night, neybor instead of neighbour, etc, and yet she has a diploma

for her graduation. The world is a sad place.

Glad I have taken up stargazing as a hobb[attachment=278549:phpsAXyvDAM.jpg]y to get my thoughts off this place.

Stargrazer

Edited by Stargrazer9889

The abbreviations used on the internet in messages to each other tend to run into the real life situation.

Say for example the word you, mostly on the the net users put just the "u" to mean that word.

The shortening in english words is apparent to me.

I imagine that it is a similar situation with tHai internet messages shortening words or even worrying about correct spelling.

Its funny about this "essence of thainess".

It didn't exist in the English language press when I first arrived in Thailand and I think it has really increased in importance since the start of the incredibly divisive street protests.

Thailand has become polarised around absolutes of loyalty and this is Thainess now. It is a show of love and loyalty that has a political connotation.

It is of course a false construct and a delusion because to love something also means to acknowledge its faults and be honest about them. Thainess has become a false hysteria that cannot abide the truth.

I have also wondered what Thainess really means. Is it a way to show that Thais are superior to other nationalities or is the widespread "mai pben rai" mentality or that you don't need to admit that you have done something wrong just blame it on someone else or the "me first" and cheating mentality amongst the HiSo Thais? Would be interesting to hear from Thais what Thainess really means.

Just be thankful they have had the good fortune to be in a school with a teacher who, I hope, demands best efforts instead of perfection, My Thai wife was beaten by her father and forced to work the cane fields when she was six, this after she tried to go to school with the other kids. She carries scars on her legs to this day from the bamboo cane the drunken sob used on her.  Her grandmother bought books and helped her learn to read write and do enough math to know if she was being cheated when she bought something., Her sister helped her learn English, her Laotian sister in law helped her with the Lao language, so now at age 43, she speaks Thai, Isssan, lao, and English well enough to be understood in most conversations God Bless all Educators who mentor children all over the world.