No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

Well, why do they "disguise" a 5 year visa with a lot of BS that you end up not getting, because the scheme goes broke? 

Why not simply just say, "Hey, Farang, pay 500k and here's a 5 year visa."

"Now, tell us more about all these foreign criminals signing up..." - I'm based in Phuket, and have knowledge that foreigners who are affiliated with bikie groups are buying the card.  (no - I'm not a bikie)  It's good intel, from a credible source, and these guys aren't retired bikies, they are young, and have been sent to Phuket for a reason.  That reason is, drugs. 

Now, would you like to discuss the Russian Mafia and the Elite Card?  smile.png

What disguise? It is a Thailand investment vehicle that has Immigration privileges attached. Even the US, UK and other countries do that. And once again, it never 'went broke'. It racked up huge, irrecoverable losses and was suspended but it never 'went broke' inasmuch that foreigners lost their investment.

What is the fixation with dodgy people signing up for it? As long as you are street legal and not a bikie, druggie, mafia whatever, then what is the huge concern about the undesirables that are? Social stigma when asked how your long-stay is enabled at the next 'Movers & Shakers' bash maybe?

There will always be someone up for abusing just about any immigration policy anywhere. There will always be people pushing the envelope... like the visa-exempt abusers.

The inference that the Elite 'Easy Access' is only for criminals is disingenuous. If it doesn't fit an individuals financial or personal status then fine, don't buy it. But don't be calling it something it isn't just because it doesn't appeal to you.

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nikkoid66,  it sounds like you and your friends can afford to go where ever you want to.

I seen a great beach in Fiji once, and in Tahiti, I wished I had taken a picture, when I was

at the hotel the beach looked pristine, but when I walked past the beach chairs and umbrella,

I seen nothing but a lot of plastic, cans and bottles, and lots of rags, ropes and other trash.

I have been to Phuket and Hua Hin, Krabi, and some of the islands  where I have seen lots of clean beaches.

Maybe you just went to the wrong beaches on Thailand's coast.

Hawaii is nice, if you can afford the prices, and I know that I can afford about 10 days max

for staying there, or in Australia or NZ.

I have not seen many places in this world where conditions are the same as they were 10 or 20 years ago.

I hope I still have enough money in 3 or 4 more years, so I can spend more time over in

Phuket or Hua Hin areas, I spend too much time in BKK, but that is where my relatives live so I should not complain.

Good luck to you and your friends where ever it is you end up.

Stargrazer

I have 1 million dollars and under 50, what the f... I do now?

Oh I don't know.... maybe start your own thread instead of stirring the pot on this moribund one?

(...but think about the Thailand Easy Access Membership at the Thailand Privilege (formerly Elite) Club as it is only a little over 1.5% of your net worth).

Thailand officialdom has repeatedly stated that its economic priorities are to promote investment in Thailand and to provide jobs for young Thai University graduates in areas of film and music production and online software services.

Then non-Thais come on ThaiVisa and say: I do all my work by myself and I don't need to make investments in Thailand and hire Thai persons or anyone to help me -- my economic contribution is buying condos, etc., so why is there no long term visa for me?

Online work is a level playing field Thai's can freelance through sites like odesk just as easily as westerners, I think you've got a genuine lack of understanding on this subject.

Thank you. You said earlier: " ... there are some helpful and informative posters on here it's just a shame you have to wade through the incendiary and derogatory crap before you find their posts."

I'm guessing you consider your posts to be helpful and informative and not incendiary and derogatory crap.

If you and your friends are "so rich". Why don't you buy the elite card? Then you can stay here with your girlfriends and run your "bakery". Don't come here bragging about how rich you are and slagging Thailand off, if you don't like it, just go quietly and flash your cash somewhere else

Thailand officialdom has repeatedly stated that its economic priorities are to promote investment in Thailand and to provide jobs for young Thai University graduates in areas of film and music production and online software services.

Then non-Thais come on ThaiVisa and say: I do all my work by myself and I don't need to make investments in Thailand and hire Thai persons or anyone to help me -- my economic contribution is buying condos, etc., so why is there no long term visa for me?

Online work is a level playing field Thai's can freelance through sites like odesk just as easily as westerners, I think you've got a genuine lack of understanding on this subject.

A level what now? Going a bit off topic but with hundreds of round-eyed guys competing for peanuts with thousands of local kids who in turn are up against tens of thousands of guys on the Asian sub-continent who WILL work for peanuts, I do not see the users of odesk and things of that ilk being able to afford the Elite Easy Access card making like gangbusters at all.

You know that feeling you get when you've overslept, so grabbing your board you race down to the beach but end up just paddling around...?

I am under 50 years of age, single, and self funded, therefore, I am a "visa runner."

I have followed this thread, and the various arguments and personal attacks.

I will simply say, shouldn't Thailand at least review their visa laws?  They have been the same for so long, yet, the world is changing.  The distribution of wealth is changing.

Why is it such a problem for Thailand to add more visa classes for legitimate people living here?  It appears that the longer Thailand does not review their current visa laws, more and more legitimate foreigners are not represented in those laws.  

Nothing stays the same forever.  They need to review the current system. 

I don't say this as I feel I have a right to live here.  I say it for the benefit of Thailand, and the Thai economy in general.

This visa crack down very well may see thousands of people, and billions of baht, rejected from Thailand, simply because they can not meet a visa criteria that does not exist to represent them.

Yes, they should and probably will, review their visa laws.
Will it give you an option? I doubt it but you can always hope.
I think you are highly exaggerating what you spend in a year and what collectively people like you spend here.
Billions, seriously?
Thousands of people? Most of you are onliners working illegally, something Thailand hasn't wanted.
  • Like 1

Yes, they should and probably will, review their visa laws.

Maybe some here haven't noticed but the Thai Immigration Department via Police Order just revised their regulations regarding extension of stay in the Kingdom for the first time in 6 years going into effect 29 AUG 2014.

No Visa options for the ones who are young and have money?

No.

You have no birth right nor reason to be here.

Good bye.

Birthright? How quaint. Next you'll on about the divine right of kings.

Being White and Western and having to follow little Brown man's rules can be tough for the ego, eh.

Doesn't he know how important and superior we are?!?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Why do people continue to say tourism isn't important ?

It is important to every country in the world.

I'm British, Britian spends millions a year promoting tourism, Yet I have no doubt we rely less on tourism than Thailand does.

So 1 persons million baht a year isn't much, times that by 16 million and all of a sudden it kinda mounts up.

If there were 16 million people living here spending 1 million baht a year as the OP has stated he is doing (lived here for 4 years), then yes, it would make a massive difference.

But there aren't...................wink.png

And of the ones that are living here, the majority of them are abiding with the Thai immigration laws. We need to get the right picture here.

• Like 2

I am replying to this thread because I was in a similar situation to the OP and spent 2009 and 10 in SE Asia primarily in Thailand on tourist Visa's, I spent on average 80k baht per month which was about 10x what the average Thai spends.  All of my spending was on food, lodging, and services all $ coming from the US and staying in Thailand.  This type of tourist spending brings much greater benefit than Chinese who by foreign brands at duty-free shops and bring goods out of the country.  

Most countries would welcome these types of visitors for as long as they wanted to stay.  I don't understand all the hatred against people who choose to live this lifestyle and I believe that the number of people doing this and their contribution to the Thai economy is underestimated.   

Every thousand people spending 1M baht per year in Thailand is generating 1B  baht in annual inflow.  If 100k living this lifestyle take their money elsewhere that is 100B baht/year or $3+B or nearly 1% of Thai GDP.   Additionally these people act as tourist ambassadors for Thailand encouraging friends to come visit them bringing more money to Thailand.  In fact a friends recommendation is what brought me to Thailand for the first time back in 2002.  

If TV posters are representative of the type of foreigners left then I expect Thailand's appeal to diminish further.   Thailand won't be on the itinerary of my upcoming Asia Pacific trip partially because I've spent a lot of time there and it's less interesting but primarily due to the unwelcoming vibe and uncertainty over problems with immigration about the amount of time I had previously spent in Thailand.  

• Like 1

Non-nationals living in Thailand equals about 3.5 million, of which 200,000 are from western Europe/US.

Of that 200,000 let's say 10% are/were visa runners, ergo, impact on the economy equals zip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

I would seriously question that figure. In Phuket they can't even tell you the population of the island let alone the number of expats on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am replying to this thread because I was in a similar situation to the OP and spent 2009 and 10 in SE Asia primarily in Thailand on tourist Visa's, I spent on average 80k baht per month which was about 10x what the average Thai spends.  All of my spending was on food, lodging, and services all $ coming from the US and staying in Thailand.  This type of tourist spending brings much greater benefit than Chinese who by foreign brands at duty-free shops and bring goods out of the country.  

Most countries would welcome these types of visitors for as long as they wanted to stay.  I don't understand all the hatred against people who choose to live this lifestyle and I believe that the number of people doing this and their contribution to the Thai economy is underestimated.   

Every thousand people spending 1M baht per year in Thailand is generating 1B  baht in annual inflow.  If 100k living this lifestyle take their money elsewhere that is 100B baht/year or $3+B or nearly 1% of Thai GDP.   Additionally these people act as tourist ambassadors for Thailand encouraging friends to come visit them bringing more money to Thailand.  In fact a friends recommendation is what brought me to Thailand for the first time back in 2002.  

If TV posters are representative of the type of foreigners left then I expect Thailand's appeal to diminish further.   Thailand won't be on the itinerary of my upcoming Asia Pacific trip partially because I've spent a lot of time there and it's less interesting but primarily due to the unwelcoming vibe and uncertainty over problems with immigration about the amount of time I had previously spent in Thailand.  

Again RUBBISH RUBBISH. Thai bureau of stats estimate between 400 to 500,000 expats living here. Meaning farang.
Last year 2013. 26,000,000 tourists visited Thailand 1.7 million Chinese alone.
Also you say most countries would welcome people to come live in their country. WHICH COUNTRIES. Try Australia, USA etc. Good luck buddy. The thai economy will be fine without the 0P 0ne mill baht per year, and all the others staying here without appropriate visa. Go home!
  • Like 1

How de you guys evaluate the possibility that this kind of visa (so called "elite" thing, of 5 years) get canceled, in the coming months / years ?

Do you think it's possible that, let's say, I take this visa now, and in the next 3 months I'm told by the governement "your visa has been canceled, sorry farang, bye, kop khun krap for money" ?

Why would they do that and lose the opportunity to sell more Elite cards in the future? I thought Thailand SO desperately needs money. Even when the program was suspended, visas weren't canceled. 

But how do you evaluate the possibility that you'll be killed in a bus, van, or motorbike accident during the coming months / years? Do you think it's possible that, let's say, you take this visa now, and in the next 3 months you fall off a balcony?

Remember the ThaiVisa Posters First Laws Of Living In Thailand: Never own more than you can carry with you, never invest more than you can afford to lose, and have a suitcase packed & ready to go at all times!

Edited by JSixpack

you said "Philipines gives you 6 month and unlimited extension"

i don t think so  - the more you can have is 59 days and can renew but to enter phillipines you need a ticket out before the end of your visa

maybe cambodia will get more tourists than they  can handle

i agree that is bit difficult with the new rules to stay in thailand more than 3 months since multiple entry visa were also canceled for some countries

i know many who used to come spend winter in thailand - it looks that is it not possible anymore to stay more than 90 days

Thailand not welcome  tourist as it was and they will pay  high price for this - the economy will go down

there is no solution unless you marry with a local or to stay 3 months with a tourist visa and 3 months in cambodia or phills or vietnam

there will soon be a lack of english teachers (other languages too) cause the end of visa-run and most of the school refuse to provide WP

my english is not perfect ...im french

reading with interest but seems that these people who want to live here cheap don't have sufficient money anyway.. 

Nikkoid66 made one of the silliest comments, singapore is cheaper than thailand.... as a small example, heineken in bar singapore price 250/300 thb depending time of day

and generally rises at nite.... have you sent he cost of rents in singapore... a 150 sqm apartment in signapore to purchase is about thb120 million whereas in BKK or outer

suburbs you can purchase here for anything between thb10/15 mill or less....   so therefore rentals in Singapore are much higher... 

the thai elite card is an option for those that are not 50 yet and can obtain the retirement card,... many friends of mine have bought this when first brought out for thb1 mill for

life now its thb2 mill so what it gives you the benefit of living in another country where you are not from, when you reach 50 yrs old and can obtain he retirement visa you have the option

of apply for this visa (Retirement) and then you can on-sell your thai elite card.... friends of mine who paid thb1 million each about 8 years ago have just sold theirs for thb1.5 mill...nad

gives the new user 30 years....

another friend as wishes to stay here and been living here for 10 years and owns a condo but also cannot get the thai retirement visa yet has purchased the 5 yr thai elite card which shall take

him to 50 yrs and then he can apply for retirement visa... this works out to USD3,000 per year to be allowed to live here... sound cheap to me and it LEGAL...

it seems that those that want to complain are doing it illegally,... correct.... and its an unwanted headache. 

if you have so much money invested then take the thai elite card... i am not a promoter for thai elite but it seems the easiest way to stay if this is what you want....

another comment i read about interest rates in Singapore, definitely correct they pay zero unless you have the aussie dollar then you can still achieve 5 pct it and

maybe the NZ dollar are only currencies paying reasonably well still.... you only risk the currency fluctuation.... 

if you do things legally it is not an issue this will apply in any other company you try to stay in.. i wish you luck with singapore they are very very tough on who

they allow in and for how long....

• Like 2

you said "Philipines gives you 6 month and unlimited extension"

i don t think so  - the more you can have is 59 days and can renew but to enter phillipines you need a ticket out before the end of your visa

maybe cambodia will get more tourists than they  can handle

i agree that is bit difficult with the new rules to stay in thailand more than 3 months since multiple entry visa were also canceled for some countries

i know many who used to come spend winter in thailand - it looks that is it not possible anymore to stay more than 90 days

Thailand not welcome  tourist as it was and they will pay  high price for this - the economy will go down

there is no solution unless you marry with a local or to stay 3 months with a tourist visa and 3 months in cambodia or phills or vietnam

there will soon be a lack of english teachers (other languages too) cause the end of visa-run and most of the school refuse to provide WP

my english is not perfect ...im french

then apply for a multiple entry in a country that offers them

So I will reply to the lengthy post one above:

Thailand has laws regarding visas / extended stay. Maybe they should be different. They aren't. You provide figures of which I assume you think Thai officialdom are unaware. Maybe they are. Most likely they are not.

Thai Immigration just updated its regulations regarding extension of stay for the first time in 6 years. It offers little if any change to those persons in the post one above suggests that Thailand should be welcoming. It may be an interesting debate as to what someone feels should be the regulations regarding visas/extension of stay to Thailand but that's all it would be.

I believe Thailand had basically the same laws when I spent my time there it's uncertain how they will be interpreted in the future.  I don't really care how they are interpreted in terms of myself as there a many other places I can go on a long holiday but forcing $ out of the country will hurt the economy and cost jobs which sucks for the Thais.

I'm not sure what the thinking of the current administration is other than they are concerned with illegal workers but I'm sure previous officials had some understanding of the economic impact and that's why they interpreted the law loosely.  I think the current administration may end up relaxing it's interpretation over time.

Non-nationals living in Thailand equals about 3.5 million, of which 200,000 are from western Europe/US.

Of that 200,000 let's say 10% are/were visa runners, ergo, impact on the economy equals zip.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Thailand

I would seriously question that figure. In Phuket they can't even tell you the population of the island let alone the number of expats on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Yes, maybe the number is wrong, it probably is. It's probably not 200k, it might be 300k or even 400k. But it sure as sh*t aint 16 million!

Again RUBBISH RUBBISH. Thai bureau of stats estimate between 400 to 500,000 expats living here. Meaning farang.
Last year 2013. 26,000,000 tourists visited Thailand 1.7 million Chinese alone.
Also you say most countries would welcome people to come live in their country. WHICH COUNTRIES. Try Australia, USA etc. Good luck buddy. The thai economy will be fine without the 0P 0ne mill baht per year, and all the others staying here without appropriate visa. Go home!

I don't understand your anger and xenophobia.  The US makes it easy for tourists, you get a six month tourist visa when you come  and can extend it by six months without leaving the country.  After one year the tourist does have to leave the US but if they could prove they spent 6x the average gdp on their stay they could go home and and get another visa no problem.  

The tourist numbers are inflated by the expats living as each one is counted 5x per year and the Chinese don't stay long and don't leave much money in the country.  The numbers are down this year and pushing out good spenders isn't going to help.

or depreciation

I'm curious. Let's have an example of a condo that depreciated significantly in price over 10 years. Bonus: You may consider the baht/original currency exchange rate as well.

I'm curious, after the US real estate meltdown, is there REALLY someone left on the planet that believes house prices cant go down???

Certainly can. But I take it then that you actually have no example at all?

you really believe that past history has anything to do with the future of real estate prices? lol

you really believe that past history has anything to do with the future of real estate prices? lol

Still no answer to the question? Just enjoying being Chicken Little, eh.

Seems for the past few decades most condo prices in Thailand have stayed about the same or gone up.

So much in life comes down to betting on the greater probability. Edited by JSixpack

And you believe that Thailand's contracting economy is a direct result of their tourism policies as per the long-term under 50, not married, not work-permitted. etc. crowd?

Having your economy contract sucks for anyone it's not just a Thai thing.  As I wrote I don't know what the current admin thinks.

So you know what sucks for Thais and -- at least for the time being -- the current administration doesn't know what sucks for Thais or doesn't care.

No, the policy hasn't had much of an effect yet.  Thailand' contracting economy is due to many factors including a decline in tourism and domestic consumption.  I expect driving away people who want to spend $ in Thailand will to contribute to continued decline.  

I think you underestimate the number of people who have taken advantage of the old interpretation of the visa rules. Based on the people I knew living in Thailand far more made money from stock options, inheritance, remote employment, rich parents or  good jobs enabling them to save for extended holidays than people working illegally.  

Still no answer to the question? Just enjoying being Chicken Little, eh.

Seems for the past few decades most condo prices in Thailand have stayed about the same or gone up.

So much in life comes down to betting on the greater probability.

the question has nothing to do with the subject at hand. thousands of people bet on the real estate market in america just before the crash. and there are plenty of empty condos in thailand. prices mean nothing till the unit sells. 

Edited by AYJAYDEE