Obtaining health insurance for newly arrived retiree in Chiang Mai

vitp4145

Depends on how much you can/want to spend and how much you can self-fund and your risk tolerance. There are very few medical conditions (renal failure and transplant; open heart surgery, hip replacement, etc.) that will cost more than $30,000 (TBT2,000,000). 

The next question is the state of your health and prior health problems (pre-existing conditions.  AIA is a Thai based regional Southeast Asian company that offers multi-level coverage at different prices.  But, they require that you buy their whole life as well, so you pay more.  I pay TBT6,500 a month and the coverage is good to age 80, when they will drop you.  AIA handles pre-existing by not covering you for anything for two years.  Global Cigna handles pre-existing in an American way with a 6 page health history.  Other international firms require a physical.

UK and Australia have rules about maintaining insurance and the amount of time you are out of the country.  If you are American, then you have the Medicare option when you turn 65 and if you maintain residency in the U.S. very good, affordable coverage through state or federal health care exchanges. 

Insurance is not regulated in Thailand and you have no right of appeal.  I went with AIA because the sales person is a 30 year friend of my Thai wife and the hospital prefer it because they pay claims.  They also offer separate health insurance.

Good luck.

Hi,

I have some good news for you, pricewise and for comprehensive cover if you care to contact me at : [email protected].

It is based on the insurance my wife and I have and fully covers In Patient, Day Care and Out Patient in the whole world except USA & Canada.
All internationals are quite expensive due to their worldwide offices and hefty commissions they pay to their re-sellers. The one we have is directly with one of the largest insurance companies in the world.

Adrian

Love to hear you good news but your email bounces :)