“Mafia” Motorbike Taxi Driver arrested by District Officials in South Pattaya

Rimmer

“Mafia” Motorbike Taxi Driver arrested by District Officials in South Pattaya
taxi-1.jpg
PATTAYA:--On Friday Morning a 40 year old Motorbike Taxi Driver was arrested following allegations he would extort money from Taxi drivers in the area in exchange for allowing them to work on the Taxi Ranks.

Khun Pratip works from a Rank outside of the LK Royal Suites in Soi Yensabai and a complaint was made against him regarding monthly payments which he would allegedly receive from taxi drivers.

A search of his body uncovered a knife and a search of his Toyota Vios uncovered a book containing amounts paid by taxi drivers in the area. He would allegedly charge new drivers 1,500 per month until they worked a set period of time when the payments would be reduced to 1,000 Baht per month.
- See more at: http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/138256/mafia-motorbike-taxi-driver-arrested-by-district-officials-in-south-pattaya/#sthash.rDbRDro0.dpuf

[pattayaone]2014-08-09[/pattayaone]

Hotels charge stand by fees also

Plus a Thai carrying a knife is pretty normal

Sometimes they charge which also helps large amounts of taxis blocking areas such as ferry ports and stuff

It happens everywhere

He has to have some bigger people behind him. He might have been just the pick up money man lower down the chain

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app ooponxb

A little insight into just how 'jungle' this society really is.

Smiles and wais, beautiful Buddhists.

Yep, Thailand is the only country in the world that has organised crime and extortion/protection rackets.  blink.png

Just arrived eh.

Enjoy your holiday. :)

I never know what to think of these articles because we rarely get the end of the story.

He was arrested.  Did the cops that busted him do it on a nod and a wink?  Did he get busted just because he wasn't sharing the wealth?

Did he get fined 500 baht and go back to the same-ol'-same-ol', or did he actually get punished?

Did he rat out the higher ups, perhaps to save his own bacon?  Is this just a story of a new "higher up" simply making room for a new protection organization?

So many questions.  So little information.

• Like 2

Sometimes they charge which also helps large amounts of taxis blocking areas such as ferry ports and stuff

It happens everywhere

He has to have some bigger people behind him. He might have been just the pick up money man lower down the chain

"He has to have some bigger people behind him. He might have been just the pick up money man lower down the chain"

Didn't read the report properly, did you?

I think you'll find that hotels (if your assertion is correct) charge for operating on their premises.  Nothing wrong with that, just normal business practice.

There's nothing normal about anyone carrying a knife.

It happens everywhere

"He has to have some bigger people behind him. He might have been just the pick up money man lower down the chain"

Didn't read the report properly, did you?

I think you'll find that hotels (if your assertion is correct) charge for operating on their premises.  Nothing wrong with that, just normal business practice.

There's nothing normal about anyone carrying a knife.
There nothing un normally about carrying a knife out here.

Knife is petty it's the amount of un licensed guns that are in play that is a real threat. Doubt 1 could extort money out of taxis with just a knife not in thailand

I know hotels charge for standing by

You seemed to have miss read my post

What I mean is that it doubt that 1 thai man only armed with a knife is able to extort money out of other Thais without help

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app Edited by BigC

I never know what to think of these articles because we rarely get the end of the story.

He was arrested.  Did the cops that busted him do it on a nod and a wink?  Did he get busted just because he wasn't sharing the wealth?

Did he get fined 500 baht and go back to the same-ol'-same-ol', or did he actually get punished?

Did he rat out the higher ups, perhaps to save his own bacon?  Is this just a story of a new "higher up" simply making room for a new protection organization?

I guess you dont know how these motocy win operate.

From the amounts mentioned, thats about the going rate to hire a jacket per month.

The owner of the jacket hires them out each month for a fee.

The purchase price of these jackets based on the above figures would be about 30k baht.

Guess there aint too many Somchais can afford to drop 30k on a jacket, if they are ever offered for sale, if they are, they are usually snapped up by some investor.

These jackets currently provide a better income that the banks offer.

From the amounts mentioned, thats about the going rate to hire a jacket per month.

I know quite well how they operate.  And that's another reason these stories are perplexing, and rather less than complete.

What isn't clear is what happens to these people who are arrested and paraded in front of the cameras, and why they've been arrested at their exact moment in time.

The media never seems to close the loop and follow up on the outcome of these arrests.

Edited by impulse

All very good questions impulse, Sorry but we will never know the TRUE answers.

I know quite well how they operate.  And that's another reason these stories are perplexing, and rather less than complete.

What isn't clear is what happens to these people who are arrested and paraded in front of the cameras, and why they've been arrested at their exact moment in time.

The media never seems to close the loop and follow up on the outcome of these arrests.

Calling Pattaya One and their ilk 'Media' is being somewhat over generous me thinks.

I Always carry a knife , its hard to peel an apple with a baseballbat .

Nah........

mZBIg3y_VE9wrnlnVbs5Iuw.jpg

Hit em or peel em - yeah the right tool for the right job.

Perfect for the low hanging fruit like this moto guy but the bigger ones always seem out of reach.

• Like 1

The police sell the street. It's a well known fact. There is a middle man who sells the jacket. Royal Garden locations are 3000baht a month. The price depends on the location of course. It's just part of the society we live in or visit. This was most likely a case of someone trying to move in on another persons area. Why do you think the motorcycle taxis get the best parking places? and can in fact tell you not to park there??