Spider!

jagi00

A type of tarantula, can you give us an idea of it's size. It looks too big to big the local version, but it might be smaller than the picture makes it seem.

Body length , not including legs was about 120mm! Not sure how it managed to squeeze into that 50mm hole.

Edited by jagi00

Shoe size looks like size 8 or bigger to me = ruckin great big MF spider!

That was my impression at first too but looked closer and he is holding it above ground a bit giving a perspective of appearing larger than it is. Still a large one and does appear to be a tarantula of sorts.

I believe it's what the Thais call "a snack".

One of these?

Thailand Black Tarantula (Haplopelma minax) by Jon Fouskaris
H-minax_small.jpg

Click Image to Enlarge

The Thailand Black Tarantula is a fast and very aggressive tarantula species. Thailand Black Tarantulas have been regarded to as "evil", "ferocious", and "wicked" by many experienced hobbyists, and trust me from first-hand experience, those are words of wisdom! These tarantulas aren't very colourful or rare, but they still make good challenges for tarantula collectors! Thailand Black Tarantulas can and will make deep burrows. Many Thailand Black Tarantulas that are imported from south-east Asia have parasites which has led to death in many spiders. That is one reason why you should buy a captive-bred tarantula over a wild-caught specimen. Thailand Black Tarantulas are on the less expensive side, when it comes to Asian tarantulas. If you are a hobbyist, and you think you can handle an "evil" tarantula, the Thailand Black Tarantula is a good species for you!

Photo Description: UNSEXED ADULT - Specimen provided by Steven Cheung. - Photo taken by Jon Fouskaris.

Range:

Tropical forests of Malaysia, Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam and Thailand.

Type:

Burrowing.

Diet:

Spiderlings eat pinhead crickets, and other small insects. Adults eat crickets, and other large insects.

Full Grown Size:

4 to 4.5 inches.

Growth Rate:

Fast speed.

Temperature:

80 to 90? F.

Housing:

Spiderlings can live in a clear plastic deli-container with air holes. Adults can live in a 5 to 10-gallon tank. Floor space is as important as height.

Temperament:

Aggressive and nervous

Humidity:

78 to 82%. All tarantulas that have at least a 3" leg span may drink from a shallow, wide water dish.

Substrate:

5 to 6 inches of peat moss, or potting soil.

Decor:

No decorations are really needed. Moss can be added for floor cover, but leave some areas open for burrowing in the substrate.

Other Names:

Thai Black Tarantula, and Asian Bird Eating Spider.

• Like 1

That was my impression at first too but looked closer and he is holding it above ground a bit giving a perspective of appearing larger than it is. Still a large one and does appear to be a tarantula of sorts.

Yes I see now. The wood appears to be used as some sort of tongs to lift it up. Interesting to see if it is the same species that bit (and eventually) killed that poor buggah in Phrae recently.

jagi, that is one big spider! We have a hole that size in our yard and have been trying to figure out what lives in it. Might be giving that hole a wider berth now!

Just squirt in some bug spray and stand well back.......

Yes I see now. The wood appears to be used as some sort of tongs to lift it up. Interesting to see if it is the same species that bit (and eventually) killed that poor buggah in Phrae recently.

If you read a bit deeper into the story of the guy that allegedly died of a spider bite in Phrae recently, you will find he died from Gangrene or similar, because his family called in the witch doctor instead of taking him to hospital.

• Like 1

If you read a bit deeper into the story of the guy that allegedly died of a spider bite in Phrae recently, you will find he died from Gangrene or similar, because his family called in the witch doctor instead of taking him to hospital.

i saw an example on the news of the spider that bit the guy in Phrae. it was a small spider, brown with unusual spots on its body that were not uniform. strange looking spider. never seen another one like it. yes he died of gangrene.

jagi, that is one big spider! We have a hole that size in our yard and have been trying to figure out what lives in it. Might be giving that hole a wider berth now!

We have an outbreak of small scorpions this year and I understand the tarantulas can eat quite a few every evening so we are letting him have his turf.

In the meantime, from Bedlam..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIDNkRW-frw

• Like 1

I thought that the guy was stung and later died by a spider in the black widow family, but brownish color and just as deadly and have heard that if left untreated the toxin can cause gangrene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_widow_spider

Yeah, Its definately photoshopped.

• Like 1

I was thinking more like gasoline and a match!

Blowtorch or rocket launcher even.

If that fails a napalm strike is in order.

I would sh#t bricks if i seen that.

you lucky devil..! i'd give anything to have one of those in my garden.

Can see the "sent from Suan Prung hospital" on your message.

laugh.png ..but seriously, no need to . . . cos' in terms of human threat & compared to the dangerous (at times) nature around us, these gorgeous spiders on steroids rank as lumbering docile puzzys.

you lucky devil..! i'd give anything to have one of those in my garden.

Can see the "sent from Suan Prung hospital" on your message.

laugh.png ..but seriously, no need to . . . cos' in terms of human threat & compared to the dangerous (at times) nature around us, these gorgeous spiders on steroids rank as lumbering docile puzzys.

Sadly very true.