Overnight Transit at Suvarnabhumi

tpazzi

I might have to do an overnight transit on my way back to the US next month (6AM departure). Looks like between 6 and 9 hours, depending on which in-bound flight I decide to book.

I tried to check out the transit facilities when I came thru Suvarnabhumi a couple of weeks ago but they wouldn't let me in the Transit Area without an onward boarding pass (understandably).

Can anyone give me an idea on what to expect regarding availability of WiFi, food options/lounges, areas to stretch out or sleep, showers, etc.?

thanks in advance,

-tom

Another recommendation for an airport area hotel.

I've used Silver Gold Garden well over a dozen times and have always been satisfied. They have a free shuttle to/from the airport, as well. Probably takes less than ten minutes. I usually book through sawasdee.com and the rate is normally around THB700. There was another site I found with a THB500 rate for "day rate" for 12 (?) hours but that was only during daylight hours, and I can't recall the site name/URL right now.

If you're flush with cash there's a Novotel hotel connected directly to the airport terminal via a tunnel in the lowest (train station) level.

spend a second more before posting and tell if you want the cheap-cheep budget or dont care too much about cost.

LANDside there is-unpaid-nothing, except maybe, buddha willing, some free WiFi. Check the site for all that: sleepinginairports.org. 7 and Fam.mart as Always-open 24/365.

Depending on airline and how you book, it may be possible to stay AIrside-for that you do not give the proper details.
most people are willing to spend like 600-1000 THB and book some budgethotel with pickup, a 10-15 min ride along Lard krabang rd.

spend a second more before posting and tell if you want the cheap-cheep budget or dont care too much about cost.

LANDside there is-unpaid-nothing, except maybe, buddha willing, some free WiFi. Check the site for all that: sleepinginairports.org. 7 and Fam.mart as Always-open 24/365.

Depending on airline and how you book, it may be possible to stay AIrside-for that you do not give the proper details.

most people are willing to spend like 600-1000 THB and book some budgethotel with pickup, a 10-15 min ride along Lard krabang rd.

Thanks, I was really only asking about what the Air side transit facilities are like.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for in regards to "the proper details".

I slept on the passenger seats provided by the airport...on one of the upper floors...along with about two dozen Japanese and Chinese...you should be in good company...many travelers opt to just wing it in the airport....saves time and money...

• Like 2

There are plenty of hotels nearby at Lat Krabang.

Around 10 minutes by taxi.

You can get a decent room for around 800 baht and a good nights sleep.

They all have wifi etc

And if you adventurous I highly recommend a walk about around Sukhumvit.

Check out the talent.

Your call thumbsup.gif

I mean you did say overnight.........

• Like 1

Thanks, I was really only asking about what the Air side transit facilities are like.

Not sure what exactly you are looking for in regards to "the proper details".

What he is looking for is a chance to be insulting. He is just like that. Pay no attention.

You should find a place to bed down there for the night quite easily. But next to a plug-in I am not so sure. I did hear they have free WIFI but I never tried it as I have my own that works great their to.

Some smoking rooms closer to your gate. Since you are leaving so early (6 am) shops may not be open yet. Not sure if one stays open all night, but would not be surprised if there wasn't. I used to leave at midnight and already many shops were closed.

• Like 1

I think some of the lounges are 24hr. If you happen to be flying on a ticket that gives you access to the emirates lounge I think that is open but there are pay as you go options that may be open.

• Like 1

Thanks for the good info folks! I'll check with Delta (my airline) to see if they have a 24/7 lounge available.

Or I may take SouthernMan's advice and go into Sukhumvit for one last night. I was originally worried about not being granted another visa exemption entry since I've have 13 of them over the past two & half years. Given the early post-Aug 12th reports, sounds like it isn't going to be as big a problem as some feared.)

I slept on the passenger seats provided by the airport...on one of the upper floors...along with about two dozen Japanese and Chinese...you should be in good company...many travelers opt to just wing it in the airport....saves time and money...

My son & I crashed in the seating-area, next to Burger King, for a night last summer. All part of the adventure of travelling !

There were quite a few other people, including some airport-workers, doing the same thing.

The airport stays quite active throughout the night, it felt almost like the 'good old days' of real travel ! rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

My Thai family and I went to the airport at midnight to leave on a 8 AM departure.

Everyone but me managed to sleep about 5 or 6 hours, and I will never do that again.

It is much smarter to get a room at one of the near by Hotels and take their shuttle

in the morning at 5:30.

Hopefully I can find a better flight schedule for my next trip to Thailand and

back home.

Stargeezer

• 2 weeks later...

My Thai family and I went to the airport at midnight to leave on a 8 AM departure.

Everyone but me managed to sleep about 5 or 6 hours, and I will never do that again.

It is much smarter to get a room at one of the near by Hotels and take their shuttle

in the morning at 5:30.

Hopefully I can find a better flight schedule for my next trip to Thailand and

back home.

Stargeezer

An 8.00 am departure is one of my favourites as it allows for a good nights sleep in a nearby hotel.

For the sake of saving a thousand baht the red eye experience you suffered is not worth it.