Import duty when entering Thailand with electrical goods.

WayneThompson

It's entirely possible.  Earlier this year, I would have said no.  Right now, all bets are off.  My friends just came back from the UK.  She had a nice purse in her checked bag and they made her pay a fairly hefty import duty.  They've been doing these trips for years and have never had to pay anything.

Times are changing....

It's entirely possible.  Earlier this year, I would have said no.  Right now, all bets are off.  My friends just came back from the UK.  She had a nice purse in her checked bag and they made her pay a fairly hefty import duty.  They've been doing these trips for years and have never had to pay anything.

Times are changing....

So what about every other traveller coming in with laptops ipads etc

• Like 1

Times are changing....

This has been discussed before after they made the announcements regarding duties at Swampy.  I have not seen a member make a report saying he was fined for bringing in items like you discuss.  But I'm only one person....

Times are changing....

This has been discussed before after they made the announcements regarding duties at Swampy.  I have not seen a member make a report saying he was fined for bringing in items like you discuss.  But I'm only one person....

So why was the lady charged import duty on a purse. Surely she had it loose and wasn't "advertising" the fact it was brand new, or maybe she was !

So why was the lady charged import duty on a purse. Surely she had it loose and wasn't "advertising" the fact it was brand new, or maybe she was !

I always think it's a good idea, to remove the packaging & plastic-wrap from any brand-new items, just in case Customs take an interest.

Otherwise they might mistakenly assume that the goods, be it a purse or computer or whatever, is possibly being brought in for resale ?

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

" always think it's a good idea, to remove the packaging & plastic-wrap from any brand-new items, just in case Customs take an interest.

Otherwise they might mistakenly assume that the goods, be it a purse or computer or whatever, is possibly being brought in for resale ? "

Spot on Ricardo....