Most community leaders support Prayuth as next PM: survey

Lite Beer

Gen Prayuth is likely to be the PM Thailand gets.

The NLA will be so full of appointed retired and current military that it really wont matter which political party wins at the polls.

The new constitution will likely close loopholes and maintain the military's tight control over what any future elected government can do. It will prevent political parties and mobs (hopefully) from ever again running amok throughout the streets of Bangkok, occupying airports, obstructing elections, holding government house hostage etc. etc. ever again.

We can see a likely template of the future from looking at how things are set up currently in Republic of the Union of Myanmar. 

I still agree with the OP with an added point that if given a chance people would vote again for PTP.

It would seem it is very likely that you are very sure about your likely vision.

BTW I would like to change your last sentence a wee bit into "if given a chance some people would vote again for PTP". Personally I think that likely wink.png

It would seem it is very likely that you are very sure about your likely vision.

LOL. Quite likely you are right. laugh.png Anything could happen although most in my "vision" is consistent with what has already been said by the junta itself. Do you see otherwise?

"BTW I would like to change your last sentence a wee bit into "if given a chance some people would vote again for PTP". Personally I think that likely."

In my humble opinion I think it likely that enough people would vote PTP to form a government again, if given the chance. It's not very likely that would be allowed to happen, in my opinion... and in all likelihood.

Edited by 96tehtarp

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know a Thai family of relatively highly placed civil servants. Nothing to do with the military, but long-tenured in government service.

When we were talking about politics recently, they expressed dismay at the critical positions the U.S. (my country) and others had taken in response to the coup.

They told me they'd happily be willing to take a step back from Thailand's past version of "democracy" if it meant the country would have peace domestically, people could go outside without fear of being shot or bombed, not having one faction of Thais in a perpetual deadly struggle against another, and the politicians more interested in working to improve the country than their own enrichment.

Like the position of my government, I too believe in democracy. But in Thailand's situation for the past decade or so, it's hard to disagree with my Thai acquaintances.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

Gen Prayuth is likely to be the PM Thailand gets.

The NLA will be so full of appointed retired and current military that it really wont matter which political party wins at the polls.

The new constitution will likely close loopholes and maintain the military's tight control over what any future elected government can do. It will prevent political parties and mobs (hopefully) from ever again running amok throughout the streets of Bangkok, occupying airports, obstructing elections, holding government house hostage etc. etc. ever again.

We can see a likely template of the future from looking at how things are set up currently in Republic of the Union of Myanmar. 

I still agree with the OP with an added point that if given a chance people would vote again for PTP.

BTW I would like to change your last sentence a wee bit into "if given a chance some people would vote again for PTP". Personally I think that likely wink.png

LOL. Quite likely you are right. laugh.png Anything could happen although most in my "vision" is consistent with what has already been said by the junta itself. Do you see otherwise?

"BTW I would like to change your last sentence a wee bit into "if given a chance some people would vote again for PTP". Personally I think that likely."

In my humble opinion I think it likely that enough people would vote PTP to form a government again, if given the chance. It's not very likely that would be allowed to happen, in my opinion... and in all likelihood.

Just change the name again,back to TRT maybe. It is the same with children,mummy smacks them when they are naughty and they behave for a while,but when mummy isn't there..........

Trying asking the people what they want..? Not the people with guns pointed at their heads.

Is it any different from offering 500-1000 Baht to people for vote buying...whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

Yes, because i can take your money and still not vote for you. :)

• Like 1

I would happily see General Prayuth take over my (unnamed) western "democracy". People often assume democracy is somehow wonderful. Well, in theory it is. But the practice? Most western countries are not governed in the interests of the people, but in the interests of the extremely wealthy. It is these rich who decide who will lead our countries. They decide what policies are acceptable. To give them credit, they do allow the little folks to play politics where it doesn't affect their interests too much. USA, UK, Canada, Australia are just as corrupt as anywhere else - it is only that the system of corruption is more subtle than in Thailand. An example - I recall when one law was passed that increased the power of an already powerful media mogul, and his wealth by some billions of dollars. The politician who steered this law through retired from politics a few years later. Now - decades after the event -  he is still paid a hefty annual salary as a "consultant" by the media mogul. For doing nothing. There are many such cases. They prove not only that there is honour amongst thieves, but that our western democracies are riddled with corruption. Admittedly, only the big end of town is allowed to engage in corruption, not the little guy. At least corruption in Thailand is "democratic", in that it can be practiced by every rung of society.

So, for fairness and efficiency, give me an honest, hardworking general who seems to care more for his country than his ego. Bugger the sham of "democracy" practiced in the west.

• Like 1

Well... no one has asked the question here: Just who/what is the "the Mater Poll survey of the Thai Researchers in Community Happiness Association"???

Anytime I see the term "Happiness" bandied about lately, I have my suspicion of who's behind it.

Even so, I don't doubt that many, perhaps even most Thais consider the current circumstance under Prayuth as an improvement over what preceded it.

• Like 1

This country is still under martial law. And as such it is forbidden to speak against the coup or the NCPO, which includes the good general. Need i say more how accurate this poll is?

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Hang on. Both the PTP and the DEM's have been critical of the NCPO and it was widely reported. The NCPO have actually loosened it's media policy due to complaints from them so your narrative is in compliance with my above post.

Watch the excuses fly…..

If the poll showed result that were completely at odds with 'reconciliation' as the army wants it portrayed in the media - i.e.everyone completely behind the general and NCPO and their efforts. Do you think the poll would be published and publicized? Or not? 

I would certainly think NOT!

This poll.has a certain North Korean feel to it

Get real please.

Well, I am not sure anyone is legally allowed to say they wouldn't support him as pm

Its a silly poll

Most polls are silly I agree, but your fear re---your first sentence is OTT. why not leave out this opposition to the army  quote " N.Korean  talk"

Most seemingly are going with the flow---without the polls to try to influence - they are out there to make money, and ask the most stupid questions you or I would not ask.thumbsup.gif

This poll.has a certain North Korean feel to it

Get real please.
Well, I am not sure anyone is legally allowed to say they wouldn't support him as pm

Its a silly poll

Most polls are silly I agree, but your fear re---your first sentence is OTT. why not leave out this opposition to the army  quote " N.Korean  talk"
Most seemingly are going with the flow---without the polls to try to influence - they are out there to make money, and ask the most stupid questions you or I would not ask.thumbsup.gif

I was meaning from the point of view where the kims win elections with 100% of the poll.

Prayuth didn't get 100%, buy neither I suppose did the poll offer too many options or questions.

I was meaning from the point of view where the kims win elections with 100% of the poll.

Prayuth didn't get 100%, buy neither I suppose did the poll offer too many options or questions.

Come on, guys. Why bother about polls where in Thailand no poll seems to be conducted in the correct scientific way based on sound scientific principles.

Admit it, you all look forward to 'respect my vote' elections till Pheu Thai counts out 46% and declared a mandate to do what they want including ignoring the electorate and start working on getting Thaksin home unblemished.

Give me a poll that surprises me.

This tells me 84% of people did not like daily terrorist attacks.

It tells me that Thai's see a brighter future were they will get paid what they were promised. 

It tells me that the voters want a democracy were all the principles are respected.

Of course, like the 2007 constitution referendum results, the 2014 election results and every single other result that has not benefited the PTP it will be ignored or excuses made to suggest the results are not true. My favorite excuse is "Not the people with guns pointed at their heads" not because it is a good excuse, but because when a good excuse can not be produced one is made up in the mystical corners of ones imagination. 

JRR Tolkien would have been proud. 

It tells me that people are observing martial law, the bit where they're not allowed to speak bad of the junta.. If this was really the case the best thing the Junta could do is call an election and let PTP suffer a huge defeat and humiliation which would truly put an end to their plans. I wonder why they don't do it?

Come on, guys. Why bother about polls where in Thailand no poll seems to be conducted in the correct scientific way based on sound scientific principles.

Admit it, you all look forward to 'respect my vote' elections till Pheu Thai counts out 46% and declared a mandate to do what they want including ignoring the electorate and start working on getting Thaksin home unblemished.

I am.waiting for the current bunch to rejig the constituencies to somehow get the dems into power. Every bangkokian vote to count double?
  • Like 2

I am.waiting for the current bunch to rejig the constituencies to somehow get the dems into power. Every bangkokian vote to count double?

but motorbike taxi votes only count 50%

You show your ignorance and prejudice with your post.

The democrats were both accused of rejigging the constitutions and of have let Pheu Thai profit by it.

Furthermore Bangkokians as in those registered and part of BKK electorate are divided like the country. Even in the last BKK governor elections the Democrat candidate got 1.25m votes, the Pheu Thai candidate 1.07m votes.

Please come with more meaningful suggestions which may actually help the country move forward.

The democrats were both accused of rejigging the constitutions and of have let Pheu Thai profit by it.

Furthermore Bangkokians as in those registered and part of BKK electorate are divided like the country. Even in the last BKK governor elections the Democrat candidate got 1.25m votes, the Pheu Thai candidate 1.07m votes.

Please come with more meaningful suggestions which may actually help the country move forward.

Just wait.

There is no way they are going to let PTP win. I should have qualifed my statements. Bear in mind the population of bangkok is very different from the voting population

Half of bangkok votes up country.

Just wait.

There is no way they are going to let PTP win. I should have qualifed my statements. Bear in mind the population of bangkok is very different from the voting population

Why should anyone stand in the way of a blemished party ??-----if they tried to let them win now they couldn't  get the feel of the people now--not a reflection from 3 years ago---times change,  but you haven't.

It tells me that Thai's see a brighter future were they will get paid what they were promised. 

It tells me that the voters want a democracy were all the principles are respected.

Of course, like the 2007 constitution referendum results, the 2014 election results and every single other result that has not benefited the PTP it will be ignored or excuses made to suggest the results are not true. My favorite excuse is "Not the people with guns pointed at their heads" not because it is a good excuse, but because when a good excuse can not be produced one is made up in the mystical corners of ones imagination. 

It tells me that people are observing martial law, the bit where they're not allowed to speak bad of the junta.. If this was really the case the best thing the Junta could do is call an election and let PTP suffer a huge defeat and humiliation which would truly put an end to their plans. I wonder why they don't do it?

And the predictable and endless excuses continue.

Thank you for inadvertently proving me right.

Just wait.

The part of Bangkok electorate that votes in the BKK governor elections also votes here in the general elections.

Your 'no way they are going to let PTP win' only shows your own bias against the reforms and shows why reforms are necessary. Or should should I just quote Ms. Yingluck's "give us some time'?

• Like 1

You've lost me, you seem to contradict yourself with each sentence but hey-ho, each to his own and I respect that.

I would happily see General Prayuth take over my (unnamed) western "democracy". People often assume democracy is somehow wonderful. Well, in theory it is. But the practice? Most western countries are not governed in the interests of the people, but in the interests of the extremely wealthy. It is these rich who decide who will lead our countries. They decide what policies are acceptable. To give them credit, they do allow the little folks to play politics where it doesn't affect their interests too much. USA, UK, Canada, Australia are just as corrupt as anywhere else - it is only that the system of corruption is more subtle than in Thailand. An example - I recall when one law was passed that increased the power of an already powerful media mogul, and his wealth by some billions of dollars. The politician who steered this law through retired from politics a few years later. Now - decades after the event -  he is still paid a hefty annual salary as a "consultant" by the media mogul. For doing nothing. There are many such cases. They prove not only that there is honour amongst thieves, but that our western democracies are riddled with corruption. Admittedly, only the big end of town is allowed to engage in corruption, not the little guy. At least corruption in Thailand is "democratic", in that it can be practiced by every rung of society.

So, for fairness and efficiency, give me an honest, hardworking general who seems to care more for his country than his ego. Bugger the sham of "democracy" practiced in the west.

I could not have put it better myself, well done.

Now that politician who shall remain nameless din't have TB by any chance?

Brill my friend.   This makes the point here about Thai style democracy (PTP)  note all these apologists for the Shins etc.

You've lost me, you seem to contradict yourself with each sentence but hey-ho, each to his own and I respect that.

You've lost me,

Of course I have. You support a group that focuses on uneducated simple folk.

Let me refresh your memory.

Of course, like the 2007 constitution referendum results, the 2014 election results and every single other result that has not benefited the PTP it will be ignored or excuses made to suggest the results are not true.

Your excuse was; It tells me that people are observing martial law, the bit where they're not allowed to speak bad of the junta.

I said; And the predictable and endless excuses continue.

Can you join the dots there or should I extrapolate? (Do you understand the word, extrapolate?) And you wonder why "we" doubt you when you say yingluck is innocent!!!

I don't doubt you. I pity you.

May peace and reconciliation be with you. I sincerely hope you support peace and reconciliation?

This is for djjamie who wrote this:

Of course, like the 2007 constitution referendum results, the 2014 election results and every single other result that has not benefited the PTP it will be ignored or excuses made to suggest the results are not true.

Your excuse was; It tells me that people are observing martial law, the bit where they're not allowed to speak bad of the junta.

Can you join the dots there or should I extrapolate? (Do you understand the word, extrapolate?) And you wonder why "we" doubt you when you say yingluck is innocent!!!

May peace and reconciliation be with you. I sincerely hope you support peace and reconciliation?

and here is my reply Jamie:
You don't need to feel sorry for me and pity? Well I pity people like you that cannot read anything you don't agree with without coming out with a ridiculous assumptions, I don't have to cut and paste stuff for my answers or quotes. It is correct that people are not allowed to criticize the Junta and it's efforts, correct? So bearing this in mind do you not think people will say what the Junta want to hear for some fear (rightly or wrongly) of comeback? By stating this opinion how is it an "excuse"? An excuse about what? Please highlight part where I stated Yingluck is innocent, in fact please highlight Yingluck's name in my post. Please tell me how there are not daily (or at least weekly) terror attacks - or don't you include the south in your infantile rants? Tell me how I support a group that focuses on uneducated simple folk, please highlight that for me, in fact highlight the part where I've written that I support ANY group. I'm not going to say I feel sorry for you, you're the type of person who starts wars because you do not listen before you flap your gums
  • Like 1

You don't need to feel sorry for me and pity? Well I pity people like you that cannot read anything you don't agree with without coming out with a ridiculous assumptions, I don't have to cut and paste stuff for my answers or quotes. It is correct that people are not allowed to criticize the Junta and it's efforts, correct? So bearing this in mind do you not think people will say what the Junta want to hear for some fear (rightly or wrongly) of comeback? By stating this opinion how is it an "excuse"? An excuse about what? Please highlight part where I stated Yingluck is innocent, in fact please highlight Yingluck's name in my post. Please tell me how there are not daily (or at least weekly) terror attacks - or don't you include the south in your infantile rants? Tell me how I support a group that focuses on uneducated simple folk, please highlight that for me, in fact highlight the part where I've written that I support ANY group. I'm not going to say I feel sorry for you, you're the type of person who starts wars because you do not listen before you flap your gums

Constructive criticism is fine, NOT slagging off because they are the army, not shouting about them not doing a decent job, no one is under the cosh UNLESS they have an agenda to either undermine/disrupt for the sake of it. Thinking back criticism of PTP was found to be sound as the aftermath has shown. I have always said had the PTP governed cleanly with ONLY the interest of the people at heart they would have been no street protests, and they would be in control now--True  ???  I think so and that is being honest.   Problem with my post it is ok for persons viewing for what was, but not the ones that have this agenda we talk about.  No hard feelings -I post what I believe I have witnessed over the years.   May I add there are a million other matters that I have disagreed with that were not related to PTP politicians.thumbsup.gif

Constructive criticism is fine, NOT slagging off because they are the army, not shouting about them not doing a decent job, no one is under the cosh UNLESS they have an agenda to either undermine/disrupt for the sake of it. Thinking back criticism of PTP was found to be sound as the aftermath has shown. I have always said had the PTP governed cleanly with ONLY the interest of the people at heart they would have been no street protests, and they would be in control now--True  ???  I think so and that is being honest.   Problem with my post it is ok for persons viewing for what was, but not the ones that have this agenda we talk about.  No hard feelings -I post what I believe I have witnessed over the years.   May I add there are a million other matters that I have disagreed with that were not related to PTP politicians.thumbsup.gif

I don't think many people are interested in "slagging them off because they are the army". The big issue is people criticising them because they seized power undemocratically. Which I think is pretty illegal given what happens if people read 1984, eat sandwiches, make the hunger games salute etc.

Sent from my IS11T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

ginjag, I don't often agree with you and your posts in the same way you don't agree with mine. You know my views about YL well enough. She was a puppet for her brother and the only experience she had in politics was the 6 weeks of campaigning before the election, in my opinion it was a disgrace. I also think it was a disgrace the way the government was taken down but that's another story. What I dislike it posters like this djjamie chap jumping to ridiculous conclusions because he's so busy getting on his high horse he doesn't take the time to read a post properly! There will always be things in life that people disagree on, so what? That's all part of freedom of speech and individualism!  Cheers!

• Like 1