Leaving the country during 60 days extension with Thai wife

I am married with a Thai and we have a Thai kid. I came to Thailand last month with 30 days tourist exemption, which will expire next week.

I understand I can extend this for 60 days at the local immigration office, which I plan to do next week.

But I plan to go travelling outside Thailand for a few days also next week. Will my 60 days extension be affected by this?

The other option would be to arrange my trip outside Thailand to coincide with the end of the 30 days exemption and come back and get another 30 days exemption. But I heard border runs are now banned. Would this be ok if I went out for a week or so?

You can either get the 60 day extension and apply for a re-entry permit (cost 1,000 baht) or leave at the end of the 30 days and later come back for a new 30 days.

Especially if you already have a ticket out you should be OK. What they are looking for is people staying continuously in Thailand and literally go out of Thailand and come right back in for a new stay.

• Like 1

You will loose the extension when you leave unless you get a re-entry permit at immigration.. A single re-entry permit will cost 1000 baht.

You could get the re-entry permit at the same time you apply for the extension.

• Like 1

If you are traveling outside Thailand for a few days you should not have any problem.

The crackdown is on in-out, leaving and returning immediately.

Why not get a visa while you are abroad.

Bring marriage certificate to be sure.

• Like 1

You can either get the 60 day extension and apply for a re-entry permit (cost 1,000 baht) or leave at the end of the 30 days and later come back for a new 30 days.

Especially if you already have a ticket out you should be OK. What they are looking for is people staying continuously in Thailand and literally go out of Thailand and come right back in for a new stay.

thanks, that sounds easy enough, seems either way will be cool

If you are traveling outside Thailand for a few days you should not have any problem.

The crackdown is on in-out, leaving and returning immediately.

Why not get a visa while you are abroad.

Bring marriage certificate to be sure.

good idea but i don't think i qualify for any visa as i have very little money and no job YET... i will start work next month and for sure will come back to this forum to ask some questions about work permit and working visa, etc

good idea but i don't think i qualify for any visa as i have very little money and no job YET... i will start work next month and for sure will come back to this forum to ask some questions about work permit and working visa, etc

Savanakhet will give you 1 year multiple entry non-O based on marriage without financial proof.
  • Like 2

With your Thai wife with you it should not be a problem at all to get another 30 day visa exempt entry and would save you 2,900 baht fee and trip to immigration.

good idea to save the 2900 baht...

actually will be travelling with another lady, who is not my wife (long story) but sounds from other responses wont be a problem getting back in if i've been out for a few days.

those few days will also be split between 2 countries and coming back to a different city that i exited from, so i assume it doesn't count as a "border run" (but i could be wrong)

Savanakhet will give you 1 year multiple entry non-O based on marriage without financial proof.

that sounds interesting, can i work with that visa (if i get a work permit)...?

also, what would happen with that visa if i get divorced before the end of the 1 year? visa void?

Edited by coolguyishot

It will actually be up to labor if they will provide a work permit but normally they will if the non immigrant O visa entry is for marriage.  The multi entry visa requires an exit/return every 90 days or less but it would not end with divorce.

• Like 1

It will actually be up to labor if they will provide a work permit but normally they will if the non immigrant O visa entry is for marriage.  The multi entry visa requires an exit/return every 90 days or less but it would not end with divorce.

great, thanks for useful info... maybe i go savanaket to get a 1 year visa

i don't think savanaket was top of my travel companion's list of desired destinations but i will try to convince her!

Edited by coolguyishot

A multiple entry non-o visa will cost 5000 baht. At the moment Savannakhet is doing the visa on the same day you apply,

You will need your marriage certificate (plus a copy), signed and dated copies of you wife's house book and ID card.

• Like 1

Any confirmation either way that you now have to be 50+ to get the 60 day extension if married and/or have a child?

There is simply no such rule.

Married to a Thai national or having a child with Thai nationality allows you to apply for a 60 day extension.

• Like 1

Any confirmation either way that you now have to be 50+ to get the 60 day extension if married and/or have a child?

There is simply no such rule.

Married to a Thai national or having a child with Thai nationality allows you to apply for a 60 day extension.

Sure, but there was talk of this on here last week when we saw those changes, although it was all very unclear.

Thanks.

Sure, but there was talk of this on here last week when we saw those changes, although it was all very unclear.

Thanks.

That was a change to 2.18, one year extension.
You can now get one year extension of stay as dependent of your Thai child if you are over 50.
  • Like 1

I am really glad that I joined this forum. smile.png I have a Thai wife whom I married in BKK in April, I am British but we live in Egypt and we're planning to come on an extended visit to LOS in October, maybe for a year or more. Going to Cairo, 400 kls away to get a non O visa is a serious pain in the butt.

But it appears, from reading this thread that we have nothing to worry about. Just arrive, get a 30 day visa exemption stamp and then hop across to Savvankhet, (that's our closest) and get a 1 year non O.

So have I got this right? Go to Savvankhet, look smart, take wife and marriage certificate and a 1 year Non O visa is mine for the asking. Is it really that easy?

I really would appreciate some comments from all you experienced guys.

It is that easy but you do need to provide the required documents.

In addition, there is a chance that without a visa to start with the airline will not let you board if you cannot show a ticket outside of Thailand within 30 days of arrival.

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice. From other comments, it would seem that all that is really needed is a Thai marriage certificate, but I shall go armed with ton of paper, just in case!

It's an interesting comment you make about being denied boarding if I do not have an onward ticket out of Thailand. This is also a possibility at immigration at BKK of course.

In all my years of travelling, (over 40) I've never encountered that situation. But there's always a first time isn't there? Has anyone else had this problem. It occurs to me that buying a cheap onward ticket to a neighbouring country might be a good solution.

• Like 1