Denied entry at airport on ED visa - myth or truth ?

I am on my last extension until November when I understand under the new rules I will have to go to Laos and get a new ED visa for 1 Year. That part I understand now that we can't stay for more than 1 year. I've done more than 3 years on extensions

My school has recommended nobody leaves the country at this time for personal trips as apparently the IO's at the airports are denying entry and people are being asked to prove they can read and write, or prove they have sufficient funds , or just denied because they have back to back visas. Apparently there are people being refused entry even with valid re-entry permits or extensions or visas.

I understand this is also happening to tourist visas too. Anyone heard or experienced any of this ??? and what would be the implications of a refused stamp in someone's passport. I was planning a trip back to the UK to visit family before the new law deadline of the 29th but the school have recommended not going and say they cannot guarantee I will be allowed back !

There have been some reports of entry being denied. But there was not enough information to say with any certainty why.

Having the equivalent of 20k baht with you and some additional financial proof to prove you are not working here would help on entry.

The new rules should not effect you until you do your next extension. The 29th is only when the rules for the extensions go info effect.

Thank you, that's what I was thinking, Speak some Thai, have 20,000 THB and be polite but the school is scaring people by saying that the IOs are denying people and that it's 50:50 if you are allowed to enter and do not recommend travel at this point. I mean I have a valid extension, I have a re-entry permit and can speak adequate Thai . Something about a crackdown on back to back visas and "pot luck" at the airport doesn't fill oneself with confidence ...

I think we all need more information, as this is affecting honest genuine visa holders .

You have been getting extensions not visas. There is only a "crack down" visa exempt entries.

I think some or many that had problem on entry with a re-entry permit had been out of the country for an a long time.

• Like 1

There must be thousands of people coming through Immigration at the airport right now but there are hardly any posts about what is going on.

It would be really helpful to hear people's experiences and what they are seeing at the moment. Not to scare us but to keep us informed

• Like 1

I've been watching this closely too... and there doesn't seem to be many posts. I know of a few people that have had to make other plans due to the changes in the visa rules. There were some reports but some where erroneous like the one that the title stated denied entry but in the end it was an issue with not getting the visa at the consulate that was known to be a problem for that ED visas in the first place. I think there is a lot of fear and uncertainty when people first started to learn about the new rules, especially when they were sitting at the border or in the airport when it happened. Everything happening so sudden and seemingly without notice. It's good that Thaivisa has been seeking out information form the relevant authorities.

Everything seems fair but it has been a rather sudden change, that I'm sure some would say a little heavy handed (just for the lack of warning).

Edited by horsewell

the school are offering free paperwork if you have to change now ..... I am considering moving onto a retirement visa after this one . I am just curious as to what has been said to the schools to say it's at your own risk to leave the country etc etc when I hold a valid extension, a valid re-entry permit, can speak some Thai and can have 20k in my pocket .... why would the IO refuse someone entry ? and I have 3 years of extensions in my passport what is wrong with that ? I think there is confusion, panic and not enough information that can cause some of the honest people here some real issues. Thankfully we have Thaivisa to air these things..

I just received this email, not an official email, from the school, so it is only the opinion of them but I thought I would share it

"There has been a case of one student from our school who was denied to re-enter Thailand because he couldn't speak Thai (he was learning Thai language according to the documents). There are unfortunately other cases of people from other schools who couldn't re-enter Thailand for various reasons. So far, if our students have to leave Thailand we prepare an official letter that states that they take a vacation from their studies, which they need to bring with them (along with the student card and 20000 baht in cash) on the way back to Thailand. Students should show the letter, student card and money only if they are asked questions. Those who learn Thai language at school should also attempt to speak Thai. And also don't forget that things may largely depend on the way you speak with the officers (politely, with a smile, calmly, etc.)

The reason we advise our students not to leave Thailand is because we are waiting for the new rules to come into effect and we simply do not know how harsh the rules are going to be (you cannot find any specific information on the topic in the internet for the same reason - the situation is unclear at the moment)."

Why would they deny you entry indeed.

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Also I don't get the 20,000 baht bit. Do they assume if you have *SO MUCH CASH* you can afford to live for a whole year on that amount ?

Including accomadation....

Edited by bertty

Many people bought Yearly extensions based on ED, clause2.9, through Agents for THB xxxx.-.

These extensions are real, but not correctly obtained, hence Thai Immigration will deny you entry.

You will have no problem in leaving, even getting a Re-Entry is OK, but upon return you will be denied and asked to return to your home country. No exception.

• Like 1

Many people bought Yearly extensions based on ED, clause2.9, through Agents for THB xxxx.-.

These extensions are real, but not correctly obtained, hence Thai Immigration will deny you entry.

You will have no problem in leaving, even getting a Re-Entry is OK, but upon return you will be denied and asked to return to your home country. No exception.

Tell us, how immigration would know if an extension has been obtain illegally, or not?

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Also I don't get the 20,000 baht bit. Do they assume if you have *SO MUCH CASH* you can afford to live for a whole year on that amount ?

I've also heard the 20,000 baht bit from a separate source. You may need to show 20,000 in cash if you attempt to re-enter the country on an ED visa.

And there were other reports in this forum of people being heavily questioned upon their return on an ED visa.

My guess is that if someone leaves for 3 days or so, it won't be much of an issue, but if you leave for 2 or 3 weeks, the immigration officer may suspect you are not really studying.

That's very interesting and might explain some of the panic. I have a 90 extension I got at the Immigration Office so I assume I am ok, is that right Thai Visa Services ?????

That's very interesting and might explain some of the panic. I have a 90 extension I got at the Immigration Office so I assume I am ok, is that right Thai Visa Services ?????

You will be OK

• Like 1

I'm sure they wouldn't.

I've also heard the 20,000 baht bit from a separate source. You may need to show 20,000 in cash if you attempt to re-enter the country on an ED visa.

And there were other reports in this forum of people being heavily questioned upon their return on an ED visa.

My guess is that if someone leaves for 3 days or so, it won't be much of an issue, but if you leave for 2 or 3 weeks, the immigration officer may suspect you are not really studying.

Have you got the link for the report in this forum of people being heavily questioned it would really help ....

I'm actually leaving with a letter from the school for 12 days only my 2nd exit in 3 years hoping that will be ok

You will be OK

Thanks, I hope you are right :-)

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Have you got the link for the report in this forum of people being heavily questioned it would really help ....

I'm actually leaving with a letter from the school for 12 days only my 2nd exit in 3 years hoping that will be ok

Here's the first one I found: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747598-my-friend-almost-denied-entry-at-suvarnabhum-yesterday-with-non-imm-ed-visa/

There was another one somewhere...

I'm sure they wouldn't.

Here's the first one I found: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/747598-my-friend-almost-denied-entry-at-suvarnabhum-yesterday-with-non-imm-ed-visa/

There was another one somewhere...

Thanks, it almost seems like it's a lottery and pot luck, and I understand new rules also come into play this month .... not very reassuring , but I have to go back for 2 weeks ...

20k is for visas exempt. If they ask for it with visa in passport i think thats abuse...

It is 10k baht for visa exempt entries and 20k for any visa.

But an entry on a re-entry permit has no written financial requirements.

• Like 1

Thanks, it almost seems like it's a lottery and pot luck, and I understand new rules also come into play this month .... not very reassuring , but I have to go back for 2 weeks ...

You should ask your school to give you a letter stating that there are no courses during the period you are out of the country (or something along those lines). If I had to take a guess, I would think that's the big red flag for immigration officers (long stay abroad = not attending classes = not a student).

Also, take your student ID with you. That's required as well.

• Like 1

I don't get why just because someone takes a 2 week holiday he is considered to be 'not serious' is there any other job/hobby, call it what you will, where by people are not allowed a holiday ?

If the officer asks you why you have taken 2 weeks off for the first time in 3 years, ask how many days holiday he has had in that time. if more than 2 weeks you can tell him he doesn't warrant his job as many people on TV reckon he isn't taking it serious enough.

• Like 1

You should ask your school to give you a letter stating that there are no courses during the period you are out of the country (or something along those lines). If I had to take a guess, I would think that's the big red flag for immigration officers (long stay abroad = not attending classes = not a student).

Also, take your student ID with you. That's required as well.

Good advice ..... the school say they will write a letter giving me permission to miss class for the dates I am away due to a family commitment. I will take my student card too. The red flag you mention makes a lot of sense . Well the date the new rules come in are the 29th so fingers crossed what I have will suffice when I come back after that date