My friend almost denied entry at Suvarnabhum yesterday with Non Imm ED visa.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Immigration officers have been occasionally taking a closer look at non-imm visa holders passport details for many years.

I had a similar experience at Hat Lek 10+ years ago when returning from Koh Kong, Cambodia with a non-imm "B". When they decide to give someone a lot of extra scrutiny and go through every page, visa, and stamp in one's passport it's nothing to worry about. It's nothing even close to being denied entry, although it can be a little unnerving. Just relax and accept that it is going to take longer than usual, and answer their questions carefully and politely.

Under the current situation with the military regime's prioritization on routing out illegal Aliens and workers I would expect to be given extra scrutiny more often now than previously. The ED visa is also well known to have many people abusing it.

• Like 2

Another factor might be how long he was outside of Thailand, after all he is suposed to study.

by that logic, could we get denied for not looking after wife on non-o supporting spouse re-entry smile.png

A study implies you study, thus not go on long vacations and missing lessons.

How long is too long? 3 Months? 2 Weeks? 3 Days? Nobody knows. The rules aren't clear. Hence the immigration officer will decide depend on his current mood. I guess, many foreigners would like to follow the rules. But there is a huge uncertainty. And every day it becomes worse.

Edited by alocacoc
  • Like 2

Another factor might be how long he was outside of Thailand, after all he is suposed to study.

by that logic, could we get denied for not looking after wife on non-o supporting spouse re-entry smile.png

A study implies you study, thus not go on long vacations and missing lessons.

Marriage does not imply you continuosly stay with your wife. You migth for example need to travel abroad regularly for work or business so you can provide for your family.

Yet when I asked if I could go get a marriage extension.. Say for example my wife was working overseas or something.. I was told thats not accepted.. That it was for cohabitation and she had to be present ??? 

Immigration officers have been occasionally taking a closer look at non-imm visa holders passport details for many years.

I had a similar experience at Hat Lek 10+ years ago when returning from Koh Kong, Cambodia with a non-imm "B". When they decide to give someone a lot of extra scrutiny and go through every page, visa, and stamp in one's passport it's nothing to worry about. It's nothing even close to being denied entry, although it can be a little unnerving. Just relax and accept that it is going to take longer than usual, and answer their questions carefully and politely.

Under the current situation with the military regime's prioritization on routing out illegal Aliens and workers I would expect to be given extra scrutiny more often now than previously. The ED visa is also well known to have many people abusing it.

Koh Kong is my preferred entry/exit point into Thailand from Cambodia. I went through passport control 4 times there recently. Two exits into Cambodia and two re-entries into Thailand. Except on the first exit, all other entries/exits were handled by the same immigration officer, a polite 40ish man who wears glasses. He asked a few questions but that was about it. Nothing to worry about. On the first re-entry he even joked with me a bit, as we talked about my trip to Vietnam etc. Both of these trips were in June and earlier this month. BTW I hold a double entry TV.

And so it goes on.. 

The "just get a real visa" crowd must be starting to feel a little less sure of themselves. 

They may be asking questions of those that are staying here on ED visas and extensions. It is well known by immigration that there is abuse of this type visa and extensions.

It does not mean there is any planned crackdown on other types of visas or extensions of stay.

Are you saying that other types of visas (marriage/work/retirement) and extensions are not abused?

This looks like they are going to assume anyone with a valid visa is abusing the permission to stay

• Like 1

He was outside Thailand for 6 weeks. What I don't understand is why the immigration people ask if you speak Thai when there's hundreds of different ED courses available. Not only languages but you can study art. culture. muay thai etc.
When you do have a valid visa they should just accept it and understand that not everyone on a ED visa wants to learn Thai.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I'm under retirement age so can't get a retirement visa, have no interest in studying Thai or anything else in Thailand, and I have income coming in from a business I own in the UK (around 200,000 baht a month).

Isn't this what the Elite Card system is for?

Do you pay any tax in Thailand?

And so it goes on.. 

The "just get a real visa" crowd must be starting to feel a little less sure of themselves. 

Retirement visas are next according to a Thai I know at Thai immigration.

Wonder what the 'get rid of the scumbags' crowd are going to say then when they suddenly can't get a retirement visa anymore?

None of this is surprising though. The last time the military junta were in power the Thai economy was disastrous. Same thing happening again.

The "GET LEGAL" idiots with be culled in one swift swoop when they increase the deposit amount from 800K to 1.5million and require it remain in the Thai Military Bank for full 12 months of the extension.

That's what I'm expecting to see in the next few months. A massive increase in the amount of money needed for a retirement visa, which will eliminate a huge number of people on the ThaiVisa forum.

Personally, I'm glad I'm leaving Thailand over the weekend as it's no longer 'foreigner friendly'. And yes, permanently.

I'm under retirement age so can't get a retirement visa, have no interest in studying Thai or anything else in Thailand, and I have income coming in from a business I own in the UK (around 200,000 baht a month). After I stopped teaching here two years ago when UK business income suddenly went through the roof and I no longer needed to work, I have been living here on and off LEGALLY on tourist visas as I am a tourist (don't work here or anywhere else for that matter).

Now the Thai military junta has decided they don't want people like me and, so obviously, don't want my money either. No problem smile.png I'm moving back to Europe and plan on living various months of the year in Germany and Spain, as I know for sure they have no problem me living in either place 6 months of the year or bringing in my 5,000 euros a month smile.png

Bye bye Thailand. It's been nice, but I don't intend to spend any more of my hard earned money in a country this unfriendly to foreigners.

"I have been living here on and off LEGALLY on tourist visas"

A small point - tourist visa does not grant you right of residence - only a non immigrant visa allows stays of longer than 90 days.

Not about to lecture you on visa abuse but if you skirt around the rules knowing fully well you do not comply with regulations then you can hardly cry foul when prevented from re-entering the country...

Both you and your money are very welcome - just choose one of the many legal options available. And please stop complaining about options that do not exist.

Why don't you just buy an elite card as you are so flush? Sounds like 500k is not a lot to you?

• Like 2

The OP reports that an immigration officer questioned him regarding his visa. Once the officer was satisfied he was allowed to proceed.

Hardly even worth a mention. Except perhaps for the fact the officer expected him to be learning Thai which is a slight worry, but it was resolved...

I fully expect holders of multiple entry non-immigrant visas to be questioned, especially if married and not working.

Apart from PR, the only true right of abode here for a foreigner is a 12 month extension, for marriage, work or retirement. If you cannot earn 40k legally, or place 400k (800k for retirement) in the bank then you are not 'entitled' to live here.

A re-entry permit allows you to breeze through immigration - expect anything else to be questioned if the officer thinks you may be 'living' here.

Edited by ParadiseLost
  • Like 2