Malaysian Airlines, would you?

ryanhull

Although, If I did take them I'm sure I would be thinking.... thinking...

Thats just it mate, I would fly with them I guess but its just the mind games before getting on, I guess what happended was a freak accident but its always the what if.

I am sure they are a good airline especially by what some have said.

Anyway ended up getting a flight with Air India for 235 so went with that instead mainly on price.

Thanks for the replies all appreciated.

How (bad) was the Air India flight? I'm genuinely curious.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would. I took them a year or so ago BKK-KUL-PAR on an unbelievably good deal.

They were very good and the airport in KL was nice.

Although, If I did take them I'm sure I would be thinking.... thinking...

There is nothing wrong with Malaysian , the problems they have had still doesn't alter the number 1 rule of all airlines, that the safety of the aircraft is not compromised, that then covers passengers

Well the earlier problem may have had something to do with an unbalanced captain - and that says something about vetting cockpit crew. And that is sort of a safety issue.

I've just booked a one way with MA for 14,715 (BKK-KL-LHR) as the other cheap choices were Air India (bad reviews) or JetKonnect (the budget arm of Jet Airways).

I have zero problems with an airline that has two very unfortunate incidents not caused by mechanical failure.

I've just booked a one way with MA for 14,715 (BKK-KL-LHR) as the other cheap choices were Air India (bad reviews) or JetKonnect (the budget arm of Jet Airways).

I have zero problems with an airline that has two very unfortunate incidents not caused by mechanical failure.

Just to point out that JetKonnect don't operate international flights, so you'd have been on Jet Airways, for a cheap ticket from BKK to LHR via DEL or BOM.

Admittedly still cheap-and-cheerful, but with 30 kgs hold-luggage allowance, compared to 20/23 kgs on some supposedly-better airlines. whistling.gif

Have a good trip ! smile.png

Why not? Just because they had an incident a while ago it doesn't mean that every single Malaysian flight is doomed to disappear.

And if you are doomed to disappear then it doesn't matter which flight you book. Your ass is going to disappear.

The 30 kg luggage allowance is the worst thing about MAS. I get a shopping list as long as a haggis' Grace.

Posted from Swampie, waiting to board MH0783

hahaha... first time i saw people complain of getting extra baggage allowance. I suggest you charge service fees from whoever giving you the shopping list. I believe MAS is among the few premium airlines that is offering 30kg baggage allowance. Enjoy the shopping trip buddy... i'm flying back to BKK next week on MAS.

I'm a bad flyer and would consider malaysian airways - just bad luck imo, Thai Airways are more risky by far, they have been V lucky recently not to have a major accident and wd steer well clear if I were on anything other than the A380

THAI hasn't suffered a fatal accident since 1998 but Malaysian has suffered 2 this year alone. Malaysian (though it wasn't the only carrier to do so) decided to fly through an active war zone in eastern Ukraine and unfortunately suffered the consequences of that on July 17, while airlines such as Qantas, JAL, British Airways and others decided to avoid flying through there back in March when tensions started to escalate. I realize that THAI also flew through that area prior to the MAS incident, but so too did many other airlines who have since altered their flight paths.

Only 3 days later on July 20, Malaysian Airlines flight 4 from KL to London flew over eastern Syrian airspace, the only airline to do so as far as I'm aware. Seems like they'll never learn.

So what makes you think THAI has been lucky? THAI's safety record is as good as any other major airline and they handled an emergency on flight TG476 from Sydney to Bangkok on Aug 13, where the cockpit windscreen appeared to be cracked very well by landing safely in Bali as a precaution.

Sounds to me like you are just a misinformed THAI hater.

I'd be much more worried about flying with MAS - their track record this year hasn't been good and I'm not just talking about the July 17 shootdown or the March 8 disappearance, but the fact that they used the same excuse for flying over Syrian airspace as they used for flying over eastern Ukraine and other incidents in the past. Frankly, that's not good enough.

Incase you don't read the news TA have had several worrying runway accidents recently including their budget airline - the cockpit crack was handled because the window didn't blow out, altho it was bad enough for entire aircraft to have a decompression. If the window had blown out, different story

Apart from a handful of modern planes, Thai Airways run a very, very old fleet. Few to no international carriers have a fleet as old. What ever way you look at the incidents, you can see that these would be less likely to happen if the planes were less aged and better maintained.

The 30 kg luggage allowance is the worst thing about MAS. I get a shopping list as long as a haggis' Grace.

Posted from Swampie, waiting to board MH0783

hahaha... first time i saw people complain of getting extra baggage allowance. I suggest you charge service fees from whoever giving you the shopping list. I believe MAS is among the few premium airlines that is offering 30kg baggage allowance. Enjoy the shopping trip buddy... i'm flying back to BKK next week on MAS.
Yep, most other airlines are only offering or so 20kg. Upgrade and MAS give you 40kg.

Flew MAS a bunch of times this year, most recently business class on the Syd - KL - BKK route and return and it was fantastic value for the service and class. Few people in the cabin, attentive stewards, express lanes through immigration at both ends both in and out and lounge access at all airports.

Wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Edited by Absolut

I just booked Malaysia Airlines to London in September, great price, even better airline.

How much if you don't mind me asking? British airways are doing 420 direct ATM which seems a good price im looking to book tomorrow cheers

Since you mention Pounds I guess you're buying your ticket in the UK? That's always much cheaper than buying it in Asia. I paid THB 32,000 which is a good price for this neck of the woods.

Flew with MH last saturday all the way from Jakarta. As usual great service on board except that i saw none of their ground staff at the boarding gate until the very last minute. Usually there is always someone checking the boarding pass after the security. Will be flying again with them next week to Singapore.