Phuket Airport immigration boss denies ‘tax’ on departures

Lite Beer

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the moment you step off the plane to the moment just before you step back on the plane...scam scam scam. The Thais are relentless.
And it goes on in the high security area at the airport for Christ's sake.
If I was in charge I would be down there pronto with a poloygraph machine  and would run the entire airport staff thru the wringer.

Next time I hear someone giving sympathy to 'all the poor Thais losing work' I will puke.

BEST POST of the DECADE!
Very well written and so true.

From the moment you step off the plane to the moment just before you step back on the plane...scam scam scam. The Thais are relentless.
And it goes on in the high security area at the airport for Christ's sake.
If I was in charge I would be down there pronto with a poloygraph machine  and would run the entire airport staff thru the wringer.

Next time I hear someone giving sympathy to 'all the poor Thais losing work' I will puke.

BEST POST of the DECADE!
Very well written and so true.

Maybe this is what the Chinese deserve, and we should be happy to just leave them to it.

(In all honesty though, I don't have the impression that the Chinese are quite as gullible & naive as many farangs.  Some Thais already mourning the departure of their wide-eyed farang gringos, I'll bet.)

Take out phone or camera and record all (unusual) contact with government officials. 

I'm sure many would, except for the "no photos allowed" signs. This is perfect to perpetuate the scam, and if anyone is caught taking a photo, that's going to be trouble.

Well, the Google Glass concept might work - as soon as they get around to downsizing the camera component so that's it's not so obvious.    ...which I don't actually expect will take very long.  Alternatives proliferating already.

Take out phone or camera and record all (unusual) contact with government officials. 

I'm sure many would, except for the "no photos allowed" signs. This is perfect to perpetuate the scam, and if anyone is caught taking a photo, that's going to be trouble.

Well, the Google Glass concept might work - as soon as they get around to downsizing the camera component so that's it's not so obvious.    ...which I don't actually expect will take very long.  Alternatives proliferating already.

Phone audio recorders could suffice for now, just tuck the phone into the front shirt pocket or bag and record away.

• Like 1

A month ago my nephew paid 300 baht to be taken to the diplomatic counter at Phuket immigration on his way into the country, thereby avoiding very long queues. The guy who asked him if he wanted to avoid the queue was careful to check that he had a passport eligible for VOA.

The nephew was ok with it as he regarded it as a VIP service. But of course he had a choice whether to pay or not.

Cheap at the price - I would happily pay this in BKK to avoid the very long immigration queues

Various airlines offer their business class or better pax the ticket to the VIP lane. eg Thai Airways and code share partners.

I am amazed by the number of people who seem to actively condone corruption for their own convenience.

To actively participate in criminality is to be a criminal accomplice, from my perspective anyway.

Things will never get better whilst this happens.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Inbound there are usually many "go slow" queues and 2/3 express VIP lines for THB 100 - you just need to know how to and who to ask but its quite open. The same for the Outbound queue at THB 100. It was THB 50.00 but the rate seems to have gone up. I don't mind an express service given the long queues (but that is the point) ........ My guess is that these folks got in the wrong line and were asked to pay ..... if it was every counter .....well that's another thing altogether. They should just legitimize the VIP desks.

'Legitimise the VIP desks' - that isn't going to happen - as then the proceeds would go the the bosses in Bangkok and not into the local Immigration Plods pocket.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

'Legitimise the VIP desks' - that isn't going to happen - as then the proceeds would go the the bosses in Bangkok and not into the local Immigration Plods pocket.

Do you really think that the 'proceeds' does not already find it's way up the chain. The local plods are not allowed to pocket it all. They only get a cut.