Stubborn virus !

Tao Diver

Hi. A few days ago my computer just wasn't behaving as it normally does. I have been running Windows 7 Ultimate with the MS updates running and using Spybot search and destroy, antimalwaresbytes and a paid for Eset smart security. I run them all on a regular basis. I first ran spybot and it came back clear, then eset and again clear so tried to run antimalwaresbytes. Firstly it wasn't already running like it normally is and when I tried to start it it refused to open. 

My next attempt was to try a system restore. It went through the motions of doing a restore but upon the restart it said it was unable to complete the restore. That tells me there is something there for sure.

The next thing was to try it from safe mode but when I pressed the F8 button to get into the safe mode menu I was just shown a screen with a prompt that said " Grub " None of the commands I tried worked. My internet was also very unstable and wouldn't connect to networks it normally would. I finally got into safe mode from the msconfig prompt and did a restore but it is still not allowing the antimalware to start. I tried the Chameleon download from their site and that also failed to get it running. 

Anyone have any other ideas ? Are there any good online malware scanners I can try ? 

The final option is the format and reinstall but want this only as a real last option. Any help or tips hugely appreciated Cheers guys thumbsup.gif

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this a machine You set up, a 'shop' set up, or it came set up this way from the factory?

GRUB is a Unix/Linux drive-based boot loader. Normally you'll only find it on drives that have Unix/Linux, or systems that need to boot into multiple OSes.

Also, did you see if other dates were available for System Restore?  Earlier backups might not be corrupted.  

If you have a "copy" W7 you will always have a prob.

Try Malwarebytes free and  SuperAntiSpyeware free for starters....

PS, download adw cleaner.......That works to get rid of crap..

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Is this a machine You set up, a 'shop' set up, or it came set up this way from the factory?

GRUB is a Unix/Linux drive-based boot loader. Normally you'll only find it on drives that have Unix/Linux, or systems that need to boot into multiple OSes.

Also, did you see if other dates were available for System Restore?  Earlier backups might not be corrupted.  

Hi Yes I tried several of the back up dates and on each one they restored everything but antimalwarebyte. Even their own Chameleon software failed to bypass it and start the program It is certainly a stubborn one whatever it is. Cheers again guys

You'll also find it on 'iffy' copies of Windows 7.  wink.png

• Like 2

That wouldn't surprise me rolleyes.gif I did though pay supposedly for a proper copy. Has worked great up to the last few days. There was a small partition so maybe it was pre loaded with Unix ? 

I have that T-shirt. try the stuff I mentioned, if it don't work then you will have to pay for "genuine" W7. I did and all OK.

Downloaded and ready to try tonight. Cheers chaps thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

That wouldn't surprise me rolleyes.gif I did though pay supposedly for a proper copy. Has worked great up to the last few days. There was a small partition so maybe it was pre loaded with Unix ? 

I have that T-shirt. try the stuff I mentioned, if it don't work then you will have to pay for "genuine" W7. I did and all OK.

Pay for a genuine W7!?   I thought that was frowned upon in Thailand...a person could get in trouble. laugh.png   Don't  tell nobody, as I don't want to get in trouble, but I paid for my genuine W7 and W8.1.

I am always surprised folks buy a non genuine W7 when you can download a genuine W7 from Microsoft themsleves

Of course you need to burn the image to CD etc & come up with a valid product key when installing it.

But it is genuine W7 any version you need in any language

http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/page-2#post-124821

YAC is good http://www.yac.mx/ its malware cleaner is superb and I have replaced ccleaner with it  .. 

CCleaner don't remove malware.......

Re-read my note again .. I never said ccleaner was anything to do with malware or the cleaning of malware .... 

Edited by joncl
  • Like 1

Norton (Symantec) has a virus and malware killer that you can download from their website and burn to a DVD. You then start the machine from the DVD and run the utility. That's the only way to remove some stubborn types of malware. If you decide to reinstall, why not move up to Windows 8.1? You could reformat your drive from a Linux OS such as Ubuntu on a DVD and delete that Linux partition, then create one single partition for your entire drive space. Actually, if you just delete the Linux partition, Win 8.1 will offer to format the drive before it installs. Good luck.

YAC is good http://www.yac.mx/ its malware cleaner is superb and I have replaced ccleaner with it  .. 

CCleaner don't remove malware.......

Re-read my note again .. I never said ccleaner was anything to do with malware or the cleaning of malware .... 

Sorry chum but thats how it reads to me. smile.png But we ccleaned it up eh... thumbsup.gif

Avast and AVG all have plugins to help prevent malware.
Run it along side ABP plugin.

Pirated copies of Windows have no effect on virus/malware security..

Avast and AVG all have plugins to help prevent malware.
Run it along side ABP plugin.

Pirated copies of Windows have no effect on virus/malware security..

For sure I am noooooooooo PC expert, my desktop is now about 3 years old and kept being attacked even with the anti this and that programs, I had another two (copies) Windows fitted, similar problems cos the programs came with embedded crap. Soooooooooo.

One of our eminent PC guru's here on Tv installed a 100% Windows 7 for me, never a problem since using anti thingy stuff l mentioned above, for a year now... thumbsup.gif

D/L avast free edition then run the boot time anti virus scanner, schedule it & restart, that scans before windows kicks in & normally fools the anti-virus, however if you are running a dodgy copy of windows it may well delete the "crack" that prevents microsoft declaring it an illegal copy which is a hassle...

• Like 1

Personally I would just format it. Fixes everything, every time! I keep all my data / programs on a separate partition / hdd so if I need to reformat it's as painless as possible. Only takes an hour to reinstall windows and system drivers etc then I'm good to go.  :D

• Like 1

Tao: I posted this earlier:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/bootable-antivirus-rescue-cd-windows-free-download

DID YOU READ IT?

Stop running some rubbish that some casual PC user tells you about.

BOOT OFF A CD OR USB STICK AS DESCRIBED IN THAT ARTICLE

That way, whatever there is that is bad on your system will not load, and the programs described can do their work

If you have problems after that, run Combofix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

If you still have problems, IM me... I have been in IT since 1984.

• Like 1

Tao: I posted this earlier:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/bootable-antivirus-rescue-cd-windows-free-download

DID YOU READ IT?

Stop running some rubbish that some casual PC user tells you about.

BOOT OFF A CD OR USB STICK AS DESCRIBED IN THAT ARTICLE

That way, whatever there is that is bad on your system will not load, and the programs described can do their work

If you have problems after that, run Combofix.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/combofix/

If you still have problems, IM me... I have been in IT since 1984.

Then you shouldn't allow a novice to run ComboFix unsupervised. Will you be analysing the log produced?

Please note that running this program without supervision can cause your computer to not operate correctly. Therefore only run this program at the request of an experienced helper.

If not, the exercise is likely a waste of time. Do the job properly from the beginning. If you are in IT, you would likely have an clean and up to date image available that you could apply. 

Backup and start from a clean slate(that includes a clean and properly installed OS). Install updates and applications and then create an image that can be applied in the event of failure. Macrium Free can create such an image.

Right now you have no idea as to the provenance of the Operating System installed to the machine. First things first. You are just propagating the idea of the one click software fix....no different from the advice of the 'casual user'.

The evidence of a GRUB Bootloader likely points  to the existence of a Loader being used to activate the system. 

This system needs an overhaul from the initial install going forwards.

The OP cannot even answer a simple question about the PC, yet you are sending them to ComboFix without even the most cursory instruction.

Edited by Jiu-Jitsu