Best new pickup 6-700000?

Bung

Just checked out Mitsubishi Triton. They are willing to drop 50k baht off the price. That makes a 2.5 mega cab manual 650k. Not bad as it comes as a higher rider, leather seats good audio (I reckon you could get the alpine set up out of the pjs) no passenger air bag is a bit of a deal breaker though. It's nice as it is more compact than some of the others and is 178hp and 400 nm in manual. The mazda for sure is too big. Incidentally, they will drop 30k off the price. Not a bad deal.

I'm also interested in a pickup, but it must be a 4x4 ext cab. do you guys have any explaination why there is no ford 4wd ext cab available and no auto gear available in this configuration on any brand?!?

maybe because the demand is too low to justify it?

and it is so difficult to add that as an option like in the "standard" world?

engine would be exactly the same of the 4doors counterpart, and same is the understructure.

I understand we are not in the usa (where my previous truck came from: a silverado k1500 ext cab long bed) and cannot have ALL the possible wheelbase/cab/bed options available, but thailand is still the second producer and seller of pickup in the world.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If you can afford it, buy a Ford.

Yeah....buy a Ford if you want to cry every time your drive it and curse and swear every week you need to have service done on it....the frustration and heart ache are well worth owning a ford.....

Yeah....do it.....I want you too so badly.....

You'll be sorry.....but I assume that's what you are looking for

Ford is your choice.

• Like 1

I have to say, after reading a lot about pickups on here that I wouldn't buy a ford, just heard too many bad stories from Ranger owners. Ironically, I think the older models are great and very reliable.

Owning a Fiesta I was also disappointed in their quality of service.

Edited by Bung
  • Like 1

I have to say, after reading a lot about pickups on here that I wouldn't buy a ford, just heard too many bad stories from Ranger owners. Ironically, I think the older models are great and very reliable.

ironically, I was hoping to buy a ranger ext cab 4x4 (before knowing that it doesn't exist in thailand) because all the reviews on the net put the ranger on top of the list of best trucks...

but maybe because they are talking about non-thai-made pickup trucks

ironically, I was hoping to buy a ranger ext cab 4x4 (before knowing that it doesn't exist in thailand) because all the reviews on the net put the ranger on top of the list of best trucks...

but maybe because they are talking about non-thai-made pickup trucks

These reviews are done by non owners based on 1 or 2 days of driving

Sent from my LG-P970 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Just checked out Mitsubishi Triton. They are willing to drop 50k baht off the price. That makes a 2.5 mega cab manual 650k. Not bad as it comes as a higher rider, leather seats good audio (I reckon you could get the alpine set up out of the pjs) no passenger air bag is a bit of a deal breaker though. It's nice as it is more compact than some of the others and is 178hp and 400 nm in manual. The mazda for sure is too big. Incidentally, they will drop 30k off the price. Not a bad deal.

I managed to get them to take 80,000 baht off the Triton, plus a heap of extras, free insurance road tax, bed liner, etc, etc. Then I cancelled my order as the salesman told me the 4 door had twin airbags, when it did not.

Isuzu website is a joke, no English option at all and little info anyway. Makes it hard to find dealers.

I see in the UK the dmax is offered with a twn turbo motor bit still only puts out 160 hp and 400nm. It's about what chefs 2.5 does now. I wonder how long before that engine s offered here? Hey do need to play catch up a bit.

I'm off to check out a chev colarado sport edition. On the web site it shows it with projector headlights but web pictures of actual cars show standard halogen units

Well, looks like I am buying a pickup tomorrow.

Chev Colarado 2.5 LTZ.

Has the projector lights, Media Link audio setup with steering wheel controls, leather wrapped steering wheel and gear knob, better LTZ fabrics inside, rear bumper with reversing sensors.

Can trade my Fiesta for 10 maybe 20,000 less than I probably would have got for it and spent months trying and they are taking 60,000 off the price as is, no insurance extras nothing. Suits me as I will just insure it (not top class so 10-15k baht?) and put a bed liner in B5000, maybe tint later.

That makes it 654,000 plus the extras, maybe another 20k. I like it as the LTZ extras it has are the ones I want without going into the 7-800k Baht range high riders.

I had a look at the similar model Isuzu which I really like but at 696k baht, no decent trade in, only 5k discount, crap audio, 5 speed and a substantially less powerful engine just doesn't cut it for me. I am sure they sell dmax and vigos without trying to the herd but for me they just don't offer anything extra like the smaller players are doing. I had a Vigo for 7 years and it was a great car. Replacement is 900k so it should feel good.

So with the Chev, the only unknown is the long term reliability of the engine. I think it will be ok. Just my opinion. It has the wick turned up to get more power out of it and that would place more stress on components but it is nice to have the power when you need it. I am pretty ordinary driver mostly. Added 6 speed is a bonus. Apart from the engine, gearbox, front end and tail lights it is all isuzu.

I realise the Chev's are not that popular but I believe it to be a solid truck, depreciation will be a factor but it will be in the family long term, it is not my primary car.

Dealer servicing may not be as good as isuzu but 20,000 klm service intervals and the fact I am in Chiang Mai so have a big main dealer should be ok. If it is crap I can take it elsewhere or do things myself after warranty ends.

Had a look at the new Nissans coming but into mid 700's for similar spec.

Mitsubishi Trion Plus is a pretty good deal but I just don't like the looks. It is about the same deal as the Chev.

I also have a set of new 18" wheels and tyres lined up from a trailblazer to swap out if I like (The owner put 20"s on) that'll make it look great I reckon.

Still, the deal has to be done yet. I think they might come up with new figures tomorrow on the trade in but if thats the case they can keep it. I realise that trading in isn't ideal here but if they give me what they say I'll go for it.

At the end of the day personal preference plays a big part and I am sure others will prefer other brands. I think for me and my budget it is a good deal for me. I honestly think there isn't much between the manufacturers, pickups play such a big role here and they are simple vehicles, you cant go wrong really. Just get something you like and a deal you like.

post-22617-0-56999300-1408024682_thumb.j

post-22617-0-66409200-1408024788_thumb.j

post-22617-0-88686100-1408024863_thumb.j

• Like 1

Possibly of note:

This is a low riding 2.5 LTZ. It isn't listed on their website, only LT's

They have one in the dealer out of probably 50 Colarado's, it is a 2 month wait to order a different colour to get built (probably BS. I like the white anyway)

Offer was for this car only to get it off the showroom floor (again, probably BS)

The next model listed as an LTZ is the Z71 (high rider) 2.8 2wd

My one does not have the circular automatic airconditioner controls that the other LTZ has.

Kind of a parts bin special? Suits me though. Probably they are just slack in updating their website.

post-22617-0-27979800-1408026822_thumb.j

not sure, but... all the LTZ 2wd and 4wd I have seen don't have that (IMHO horrible) auto ac knob, so I think that all ext cab don't have it.

I have seen LT and LTZ and (IMHO) LT seat fabric is much better.

isuzu right now has only 5k discount, but few days ago had a special promotion up to 30/40k discount on the 3.0 model I was looking for...

maybe if you take a look at other dealers you can have better luck.

oh, forgot! chev dealer offered me a 60k discount too on a 2.5 model without any extra and without insurance, but (if I'm not wrong) you have to do all the registration process by yourself!!! and if I am not wrong it's quite a long painful journey!

Thanks for the info mr blue. I was sure I replied earlier but it's not there.

Anyway, I was only interested in the 2.5's so didn't hear about any discount for the 3 litres.

You may be right about the upholstery come to think of it lol!

I hadn't considered having to do the registration myself and yes, not keen either. I think they will handle the paperwork if I pay.

Tomorrow all the numbers will be crunched and who knows it may not work out.

This is seriously the worst piece of advice I've came across in a long time.

You'd be foolish if you didn't checkout the Tata Xtra cab pick-up. With 700k to spend you would be driving out of the dealership with lots of accessories fitted to your new ride.

It's his choice, his money. Let him know what's available and he can decide for himself.

Looks like he already has!

Edited by BSJ

since I'm not going to carry a huge/heavy load on my pickup, if I have to opt for the chevy, I would go with the 2.5L lt (IMHO better interiors than the 2.8L ltz), if I have to go with the isuzu I am forced to get the 3.0L because the 2.5L has no airbags (and I will never understand why they are not yet a standard here) and, anyway, it has a far better interior than any chevy.

please, keep us informed about your decision and follow up, I'm interested in that 60k discount and if the vehicle registration process is included or not.

about the tata, I really cannot understand how can someone suggest that truck?!? no airbags, no abs, no safety features at all, awful interiors, but still a relative high price. if it was at 500k compared to 7/800k of the competitors can be reasonable... maybe he works for tata?

Edited by mrblue

Ok so just got back from Chev. Had guys from the "tent" car yards to look at my trade in and not surprisingly they offered 20k less than they initially said the day before. It's all the game, get your interest up, think you have a new ride then try and get you to lose 20k in all the excitement.

No worries, I have the car on all the classifieds and am prepared to drop the price to a point where it will be a very good buy and I still get that 20-30k in my pocket that the tent men wanted.

I put the deposit down on the truck so it is ready and waiting. I have another car to use so not in any huge rush.

Mr blue, the Chev and Isuzu are identical apart from the upholstery and gauges binnacle. Really not much in it. The chev has two airbags.

I paid for a bed liner 5000, 1000 for a "back seat" and registration and red plate 6500. That cam off the discount.

I think M/Y 15 all of them will get them. 2014 and so many of these cars don't have abs or airbags. Worth remembering these are the things you see overloaded everywhere screaming along the roads!

Trying to understand this model, I went to another dealers and the also said they don't make them as an LTZ but will if you want to wait 2 months while they build one like that. Not much demand for a low riding extra cab with the "luxury" spec I guess. Mostly just workhorses.

this is the spirit! we don't have, but can have in x time... this is my point and what I expect from the 2nd country for production of pickup in the world!

but again, I'm quite sure that if you order it, you will never get one, just because too many people have mouth just to steal fresh air.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, had the Chev a week now and pretty happy with it. I exchanged the 16" wheels and tyres for trailblazer 18" ones. I think it looks better, it definitely rides better and was pretty cheap being "only" Chev wheels.

All up it cost 720,000.

post-22617-0-72505300-1409154790_thumb.jpost-22617-0-62355900-1409155195_thumb.j

Edited by Bung
  • Like 1