34 year old Brit wants to move to Thailand ... which VISA to go for?

I tried a quick search, but though it may be easier just to create a new topic for my specific scenario ...

. . .

What does "Thai Elite Card" mean? Could you help explain please.

Yeah, you're a real IT superstar - don't know how to use Google, don't know how to search forums for topics which have been covered endlessly, too lazy to look for yourself and instead expecting others to do your work for you.  You claim you're comfortable financially and don't have to work for 3-6 months, yet you can't shell out ~$15.5K USD.

You should fit right into the Thai IT scene - you have the skillset, the probity, and the work ethic down pat.

Come off it. There's nothing as good as getting info live from horses mouths. Things change quickly. Why would comeone spend $15.5k on the bloody idiot card? Just to prove to you that he has that level of comfort? I think not. Might I also bring your attention to the fact that one could be a senior systems admin for cisco and still not have $15k to splurge on a visa?

Since you are a self appointed expert on the "Thai IT scene" perhaps you would like to share with your own net worth and skillset so we can pointlessly pick it apart while offering disparaging comments about your character? All the while via an anonymous internet forum? Oh, please, sounds like such fun! smile.png

OP- speaking as someone in your position but who has been here a long time, I suggest as others have done- get a tourist visa for 6 months and reassess your options after. At that time, you have the option to study here or to open a business. Unless you see exactly how the locals can benefit your business, do not bother, because this is an expensive and time consuming exercise that is only worthwhile if your business will profit. Forget any hope of consulting freelance or selling services to Thai companies unless you are especially niche and relevant.

Edited by OxfordWill
  • Like 2

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the typical TV poster who has nothing helpful to say, why do you even bother to reply to the topic ? What is wrong with you people ? pretty girl ripped you off ???

To infer someone is an idiot because he has asked a question on a forum instead of using Google (by the way there are other search engines) is so typical of a number of TV posters. Actually why have forums if google has all the up to date answers...well it doesnt, it also has a lot of mis information

I recall the same reponse to someone who asked about visa agents in Vientiane, I was interested & did indeed go to Google which had so little to offer...one of those cases where it is easier to find the info on a forum as Google had only 3 listed.

I thought the idea of this forum was to offer helpful advice to newbies, for OP there is so much out of date info on Google re the visa situation due to this current shake up that he is likely to be more confused if he did use Google.

Thank goodness for those contributors who are willing to help.

To the OP, it seems if you stay in Thailand too long you run the risk of getting all bitter and twisted, proof, read this forum smile.png

Edited by axact
  • Like 1

I've just come back from a 17 day holiday in Thailand and completely fell in love with the country and everything about it.

No surprise there, the initial appeal is irresistible, but whatever you do, don't burn your bridges.

And I'm not ruling out marriage either xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

You should - for at least a year or two.

Edited by laobali
  • Like 1

And at 34, with all his vast experience running these various businesses, he comes to Thailand for something like 2 weeks and decides he wants to move there, despite all the readily-available horror stories about people who've done just that, to their everlasting regret.

Does it rile you that some people just wont follow the rules of society like you do?

Who cares if he came here for 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. He's decided he wants to live here. He's got an online business bringing in income. Several months funds in the bank and seemingly no commitments.

If he doesn't like it he can leave and go back home or somewhere else.

What's the big deal?#

I don't know why some of you get so upset about what other people want to do. It's their lives and they want to live it. 

P.S.

Assuming the OP is actually real because I suspect a troll. His opening post read like a windup to me.

• Like 1

And at 34, with all his vast experience running these various businesses, he comes to Thailand for something like 2 weeks and decides he wants to move there, despite all the readily-available horror stories about people who've done just that, to their everlasting regret.

Does it rile you that some people just wont follow the rules of society like you do?

Who cares if he came here for 2 weeks, 2 months, or 2 years. He's decided he wants to live here. He's got an online business bringing in income. Several months funds in the bank and seemingly no commitments.

If he doesn't like it he can leave and go back home or somewhere else.

What's the big deal?#

I don't know why some of you get so upset about what other people want to do. It's their lives and they want to live it. 

P.S.

Assuming the OP is actually real because I suspect a troll. His opening post read like a windup to me.

I would ask why you get so upset at people getting upset at people?

Haha, well I certainly seem to have divided opinion on this one, and attracted quite a bit of criticism which I'll happily take on the chin.

Could I have spent half a day googling for a solution to my problem. Yes I could have. Does a website and forum exist to help people like me with questions like this. Yes. Have people responded and helped point me in the right direction. Yes. Am I grateful for that. Yes. Have other people felt the need to read this and add their own post to criticize it saying I'm wasting their time. Yes. Did those last lots of people criticizing me have to read the post. No they didn't. Do I judge them? No I don't.

So thanks to all the helpful advise people have given. To the not so helpful advise, thanks for making me chuckle.

I really did have an amazing time in Thailand. And you make think that as a 34 year old bloke from Britain that maybe I slept with Thai hookers every night, got stupid drunk on cocktails in buckets and made a fool of myself. I don't blame people for thinking that. Some people do, and it's given a bad stereotype for lots of people.

I didn't sleep with a single hooker. I didn't get stupid drunk every night. What I loved about the country was the culture, the Buddhist way of life, the respect, the discipline, the integrity, the kindness. The amazing food, the welcome ness of the locals. The way you feel amazingly safe in a foreign speaking country. The climate, the scenery. The way the locals make you feel welcome in foreign paradise. How arrogance and greed isn't welcome. How respect and dignity will get your friends, and money doesn't rule everything like it does in the western world. How most people have being able to discover who they really are from the spirituality and culture of the country.

The most amazing people I met on my trip were both the the local Thai people who I tried my best to speak in their language ... and the westerners who have decided to make this paradise their home.

So I will be coming back to Thailand. I'm happy to do my bit and preserve their way of life, because that is what is amazing. If you're one of the ones who would prefer that "my sort" don't come, then fair enough. That is your opinion and you're entitled to it. But don't try and force your opinions upon other people. Welcome everyone. That is one of the fundamental beliefs of Buddhism, and that is what 95% of the Thai population practice. 95% will welcome me, and I'll be grateful for that and I'll respect everything about their paradise, and I'll do my bit to protect it. For the other 5% I'll accept that whatever you do in life ... good or bad ... there will always be people that will criticize you ... that try to knock you down. That's part of life and you get on with it. But if you want to live life, then you take risks and you follow your heart.

Now that may all sound a bit deep, but what can I say. I'm a part time screenwriter, and that's what I plan on doing more of.

Reply with whatever you want. I don't mind. I won't be offended. I respect everyone's opinions.
Thanks again to all the people who have given me useful advise, I really appreciate it.

And my comment about not ruling out marriage. I said that a little bit tongue in cheek. But truth be told, we never know who we are going to meet in life. I'll assume nothing, and I'll depend on nothing. Destiny will take it's own course and I'll embrace what it sets out for me. It's not impossible that I could meet someone amazing in Thailand who could become a life partner. I won't force that, I won't seek for that, and I certainly wouldn't marry anyone purely for VISA reasons. When I marry someone, that will be for he true meaning of marriage and nothing else. Just thought I'd clear that up before he forthcoming backlash!

And my comment about not ruling out marriage. I said that a little bit tongue in cheek. But truth be told, we never know who we are going to meet in life. I'll assume nothing, and I'll depend on nothing. Destiny will take it's own course and I'll embrace what it sets out for me. It's not impossible that I could meet someone amazing in Thailand who could become a life partner. I won't force that, I won't seek for that, and I certainly wouldn't marry anyone purely for VISA reasons. When I marry someone, that will be for he true meaning of marriage and nothing else. Just thought I'd clear that up before he forthcoming backlash!

there is no one true meaning of marriage

James, some of the naysayers are simply pointing out work permit issues with on liners. Without being judgmental, it is "technically illegal"  to work.

No one will catch you of course but you need a visa. At your age the options are limited.

I would get tourist visas or ED visa to stay a year before deciding on shipping all your stuff here.

And I would go to the Thai classes. They can be useful.

I would also consider living outside the Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya circle. There's a lot more to Thailand.

You may find the visa rules for Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, or Vietnam easier. They also have a similar lifestyle to Thailand.

Cheers.

• Like 1

. ..What I loved about the country was the culture, the Buddhist way of life, the respect, the discipline, the integrity, the kindness. The amazing food, the welcome ness of the locals. The way you feel amazingly safe in a foreign speaking country. The climate, the scenery. The way the locals make you feel welcome in foreign paradise. How arrogance and greed isn't welcome. How respect and dignity will get your friends, and money doesn't rule everything like it does in the western world. How most people have being able to discover who they really are from the spirituality and culture of the country. . . .

Pursue your dream and have fun.  But as others have said, don't ship everything over yet.  Spend a little more than two weeks before committing to "paradise."  Get some firsthand experience with the bureaucracy, police, landlords, and, especially the taxi drivers.  You are in the first stage of culture shock.  Read up on the subsequent stages.  All this doesn't mean that you cannot eventually move here and enjoy elements of what you describe, above.  One last piece of advice: follow all the rules, laws, and regulations.  It's easy enough to trip up over them unintentionally.  But the people who come here and think Thailand is some free-for-all devoid of personal responsibility and an obligation to follow the country's rules are the ones that eventually find themselves in a mess.

• Like 1

I'm a 34 year old British male who own my own Ltd company in the UK as a sole director doing IT contract work and running a few online businesses. I've just come back from a 17 day holiday in Thailand and completely fell in love with the country and everything about it.

I've decided I want to live and work out in Thailand. -----james007lamb

The Brain is a wonderful organ, its starts working from the minute you are born-----and just doesn't stop for a second......until you get to Thailand..............coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Thanks again for the replies. I'm certainly not going to "ship" everything over. I'm not a materialistic person. I'll have a bag of clothes and a laptop and that's all I'll need.

And if worst comes to worst, and things don't quite work out then sure I'll move on to somewhere else. However I spent a vast majority of my life living and working in different counties around the world.

No where has appeared more "livable" for "me" than what I have seen in Thailand. And yes, that may seem like a rash decision on my short visit. But I saw enough to make me want to see more.

I have a friend who has lived in Bangkok for other 5 years and runs a successfully business (he actually pointed me to this forum to get tips, knowing that the rules have changed a little from when he first arrived). I have another friend of friend who has been in Koh Samui for 12 years. Another who has been in Koh Tao for 17 years. And I met them all on my recent trip, and they told me about their way of life and why they have settled here and how they will probably never ever leave and I can see why. They all convinced me to just have a go and do the same.

So that's what I'm doing, just having a go. And maybe I'll be the one who is still there in 17 years time, or maybe I'll have moved on somewhere else. Either way it's the start of a great adventure, and it's more exciting than taking no risks and staying in London!!
  • Like 1

I didn't sleep with a single hooker. I didn't get stupid drunk every night. What I loved about the country was the culture, the Buddhist way of life, the respect, the discipline, the integrity, the kindness. The amazing food, the welcome ness of the locals. The way you feel amazingly safe in a foreign speaking country. The climate, the scenery. The way the locals make you feel welcome in foreign paradise. How arrogance and greed isn't welcome. How respect and dignity will get your friends, and money doesn't rule everything like it does in the western world. How most people have being able to discover who they really are from the spirituality and culture of the country.

The most amazing people I met on my trip were both the the local Thai people who I tried my best to speak in their language ... and the westerners who have decided to make this paradise their home.

Some of this seems tongue-in-cheek too. Tell us what you actually did apart from wandering round temples, chatting with monks and lapping up Thai love and current "Buddhism". Maybe you fell in love with someone and/or stayed in a rural village for a while. What you describe doesn't sound much like the everyday "Thainess" a first time tourist would experience in a couple of weeks.

Be smart about this...do not make a permanent move...until you have visited Thailand several times...visit several cities...and get over the phenomenon of easy availability of Thai puzzy...I know this is a strong draw for a young man...but take your time...and enjoy your adventure....

After 17 days the OP is ready to pack up and move, just like that. Really, is that all it took?? 17 days??

Ask yourself, what really did you fall in love with ??  I wager it was the climate, culture and cuisine.

Feel free to tells us if you want or keep it to yourself, but there is some sound advice here.

I don't believe the OP is for real.  Anyway he is living in a dream world. When the reality starts to hit him in a few months time he will learn the hard way. 

and money doesn't rule everything like it does in the western world.

cheesy.gif

Maybe the OP would like to get back to us on this after he's been in Thailand a bit longer than 2 weeks. 

Money is ten times as important in Thailand, as in the west

and money doesn't rule everything like it does in the western world.

cheesy.gif

Maybe the OP would like to get back to us on this after he's been in Thailand a bit longer than 2 weeks. 

Money is ten times as important in Thailand, as in the west

Thanks again for the replies. I'm certainly not going to "ship" everything over. I'm not a materialistic person. I'll have a bag of clothes and a laptop and that's all I'll need.

And if worst comes to worst, and things don't quite work out then sure I'll move on to somewhere else. However I spent a vast majority of my life living and working in different counties around the world.

Sounds like you have just the right attitude my friend. I think that open-minded, determined people following their own path in life are great for Asia. Too many foreigners around here seem closed-minded and extremely limited in their reasoning.

I also moved here after several weeks holiday. During those several weeks I spent some time getting to know the city centre, I met some young 'professional' expats who were really encouraging, and I spent a week with a lovely Spanish girl staying in khao san (hardly my favourite place in the world, but it was a good time that we had, and I was on holiday). Like you I didn't get sucked into the Nana/Cowboy/whatever world of bar girls and sleaze, and after 18 months of living here have still not been to most of these places. That so many people assume your 17 days must've been like that only says something about their own experiences.

Upon arrival here, sure things were different. I was now looking at how I could earn a living and use my time effectively. I spent much less time drinking and enjoying myself, but the hunch that Thailand would be a great place to live proved right. It is. Most of my friends are among that young expat professional demographic, and they're great people. All doing exciting things, all ambitious, all welcoming and unprejudiced.

As far as visas go, as I said before somewhere, just get a tourist visa, come over and see what you think. You and I both know that this doesn't have to be 'permanent', it's just a case of packing a bag and boarding a plane. And that's what's great when you have your head open to all possibilities in life. You realise that you don't have to pick a girl off the Internet to marry, get some complicated visa and 'migrate' here etc etc. Moving country can be as easy as moving house back home. All the issues which you might think of surrounding visas, apartment rental and banking will melt away. For the strong-willed there's always a way.

Wow, thanks for all the advice and tips people. That is really helpful. Unfortunately I'm not quite that comfortable financially that I can afford 500,000 bart!

I think my best route is to initially get the double entry tourist VISA for 180 days (and maybe the triple entry, but i've heard that is very hard to come by). That way I can see the lay of the land, and get local advise.

Setting up the business in Hong Kong for tax efficiency may also be the way to go longer term, so I will look into that to.

And I'm not ruling out marriage either wink.png

Triple Entry Tourist Visa is easy to get from Embassy in London. You can also get a Triple Entry Visa from Bali, last time I checked. The best advice in my opinion given so far is to get a triple entry tourist visa. Spend 260 days here. (You always loose a few days due to flying and not leaving it to the last minute to get your original visa and doing visa runs) Keep your company as a LTD Company in the UK. See if you like living here. After 260 days you will be a good position to decide you next move. Opening a company here seems a big headache. Also you have got to employ locals. One thing to note, its not as cheap as you think it will be.

Edited by CFC

Depends if you want nominee shareholder(s)/director(s) or not, as that costs a little more.

You're probably looking at around USD 2000 to setup, and maybe half that per year maintenance, i.e. accounting, book keeping, secretarial fees etc. You can get an HSBC Business Premier account over there though, which is a fully functioning bank account with cards you can use worldwide. HK non-resident owned companies like that usually (I'm pretty sure) only tax income which originates inside the country, and anything from outside is not taxed. Check that yourself to be sure though.

Depends if you want nominee shareholder(s)/director(s) or not, as that costs a little more.

You're probably looking at around USD 2000 to setup, and maybe half that per year maintenance, i.e. accounting, book keeping, secretarial fees etc. You can get an HSBC Business Premier account over there though, which is a fully functioning bank account with cards you can use worldwide. HK non-resident owned companies like that usually (I'm pretty sure) only tax income which originates inside the country, and anything from outside is not taxed. Check that yourself to be sure though.

Darkian, Thanks for the info. I looked into setting up a company in Dubai and the running costs were about $15,000 USD a year. if I set up the company in HK and all the profits were generated in the USA and wages were paid into the HSBC Bank Account and then transfered to Thailand to live off, would I not be taxed on the wages in HK.  

Edited by CFC

What I loved about the country was the culture, the Buddhist way of life, the respect, the discipline, the integrity, the kindness. The amazing food, the welcome ness of the locals. The way you feel amazingly safe in a foreign speaking country. The climate, the scenery. The way the locals make you feel welcome in foreign paradise. How arrogance and greed isn't welcome. How respect and dignity will get your friends, and money doesn't rule everything like it does in the western world. How most people have being able to discover who they really are from the spirituality and culture of the country.

I don't think you were in Thailand mate. :D

Even though there's a good chance you're a troll on a wind up I'll assume for a moment you're not.

These things you think you experienced and seen aren't actually reality in some cases. 

When you move here you'll realize that.

Many of these things you claim you liked aren't all that true.

Many don't take Buddhism seriously other than a token visit to the temple at Songkran and a wai when passing a shrine as other people are looking.

The discipline and respect is debatable as is the integrity personally had very few problems with Thai's but many claim they are dishonest, disrespectful and don't keep their word especially when you're "just a farang"

The Thai's aren't overly kind or outwardly friendly and most prefer to keep themselves to themselves. Sure they smile a lot but that's just the Thai way. They don't tend to strike up conversations with strangers.

There's plenty of greed here just like there is everywhere. Money talks and is what makes Thailand tick.

You came here on holiday, probably hung around in some popular tourist destinations where people are forced to smile a lot and act helpful, misunderstood many things including the smile and politness for 'friendliness' and got a bit of a skewed picture about what Thailand is like.

But don't worry I think it happens to many of us. I remember when I first properly visited Thailand I felt the same. Thought everyone was happy, friendly and smiley and that it was a wonderful place.

Then I moved there and realized a lot of that was just my holiday honeymoon period, I was sugar coating things, I started to see that all was not as it seems.

I still think it's a great place to live especially Bangkok. Still rate it in my top 3 cities in the world.

But it's not this paradise you think it is and you will see that eventually.

HOWEVER

I still think you should come. Don't really know why so many on here are against the idea.

You have an online business, regular income, and back up funds and what seems like little commitments so there's nothing lost by coming here and you can always go home again if it's not for you.

No harm done.

Seems some guys are just bitter they had to work hard their whole life just to get the opportunity to retire in Thailand often on meager pensions or saving and others are swanning over here with money to spend when they're young.

I guess I just got trolled.