Cheese Popcorn... with a twist

Michaelaway

I love cheese popcorn. But, it's not so easy to find in LOS. Usually, I buy Orville Reddenbacher microwave cheese popcorn because none of the other brands I've found in Thailand taste like cheese; O.R. is the only brand I can find that tastes good! At 7-11, there are 2 or 3 brands of cheese popcorn, but they taste unlike any version that I've ever tried (and liked). They're all weird. Sometimes, I buy caramel popcorn, and that's pretty good. Toro brand caramel popcorn with almonds is my favorite. And then, last night... what did I see? Toro now makes caramel & cheese popcorn, and @ 20 baht a bag, I had to give it a try. Caramel & cheese... didn't see that one comin'! And, you know what? It was (oddly) good! Didn't taste like any popcorn I've ever tried before, but you learn to try new things when you live in LOS, n'est pas? It's the one on the far right.

post-72929-0-49734100-1407906616_thumb.j

Oddly enough, I was reading a story today about a Minneapolis-based company called Candyland which is suing some big food distributors for "copying" their idea and name for a popcorn mix. They started selling their CHICAGO MIX (copywrited) 20 years ago, and which contains regular popcorn, cheese corn, and caramel corn. Seems like the world is re-discovering popcorn.