Getting a 14 days extension on retirement visa vs 12 month retirement extension

What are the possibility of obtaining a 7 or 14 or 30 day extension to my current retirement visa (rather than extending by the normal 12 months as I normally do).

And then at the end of this shorter extension I will (confusingly) extend this by a normal 12 months extension retirement period- Hence I do not want to do any short extension period if this then prohibits the 12 moth extension

I understand what is required for the extension 12 months and the conditions since I regularly do this.

The bottom line is that even though It does sound like a crazy move - I do have a good reason to get the few week extension prior to the 12 moths extension - I look forward to clear intelligent answers. 

You can only get 7 additional days. I am not sure how that would help.

Thanks Ubonjoe

I am glad you were online to catch this. I was hoping that you would reply - Since your info is always rock solid.

7 Days if fine.

Q1.- What do I need to do to get the 7 days?

Q2. -  Then when I arrive 7 days latter with my 12 month extension (Bangkok) what do I need to do differently?

Thanks

Q1. Apply for an extension of stay at the end of your current extension. Without the proper documents it will be denied and you get 7 days to leave the country.

Q2. At the end of the 7 days apply for a 1 year extension of stay as usual with all required documents. You get a 1 year extension of stay.

Note that if you have financial problems, you can always make use of the combo option of money in the bank plus yearly income totaling 800,000. No seasoning of money is required in that case.

• Like 1

What are the possibility of obtaining a 7 or 14 or 30 day extension to my current retirement visa ...

You can't extend a visa. Presumably you no longer have a valid visa, but an extension of stay based on retirement.

Q1. Apply for an extension of stay at the end of your current extension. Without the proper documents it will be denied and you get 7 days to leave the country.

Q2. At the end of the 7 days apply for a 1 year extension of stay as usual with all required documents. You get a 1 year extension of stay.

Note that if you have financial problems, you can always make use of the combo option of money in the bank plus yearly income totaling 800,000. No seasoning of money is required in that case.

I imagine that 7 days to leave the country would still cost him Baht 1900 and would only be granted if he went in to apply for the annual extension with very little time left.

If he went in 30 days before, for example, they wouldn't give him a 7 day extension since he had more than that time on his existing extension.

And, if he went in say 3 days before the extension expired, wouldn't they just tell him to get whatever he needed and come back tomorrow if it was something he claimed he forgot at home?

Not saying he couldn't manage it, but he's not leaving himself much leeway in case they refuse the 7 day extension or they tell him to start over with a new visa if he does get the 7 days (which is really not an extension but an extension denied)?

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

Hi Mario - Good info

Long story short - If I end up transferring funds from my UK deposit vehicle early it means a very sizable loss - I need 6 days to stop the loss.

Actually you open a new thought - Since I was planning on immediately after my extension going to Vietnam for 6 weeks. I could bring that forward and if I was to actually leave Thailand a few days prior to  my last date of current extension - I could then return with a tourist visa or a visa exempt. Then once back with either visa (exempt or tourist) - I could then apply to convert to Retirement - Then apply for an extension.

- Can you confirm that there is nothing I have missed here and this should work.

- Can you also confirm my figures? Since obviously there is no point creating an elaborate plan without hitting my objective which is to transition to retirement extension at much lower cost (compared with loss on early transfer out of UK):

Costs for conversion = 1900 Baht - Extension = 1900 Baht - Total = 3,800.

If these are right (or loosely near) - I can then save a lot of money by doing it this way.

Thanks in advance

What are the possibility of obtaining a 7 or 14 or 30 day extension to my current retirement visa ...

You can't extend a visa. Presumably you no longer have a valid visa, but an extension of stay based on retirement.

I imagine that 7 days to leave the country would still cost him Baht 1900 and would only be granted if he went in to apply for the annual extension with very little time left.

If he went in 30 days before, for example, they wouldn't give him a 7 day extension since he had more than that time on his existing extension.

And, if he went in say 3 days before the extension expired, wouldn't they just tell him to get whatever he needed and come back tomorrow if it was something he claimed he forgot at home?

Not saying he couldn't manage it, but he's not leaving himself much leeway in case they refuse the 7 day extension or they tell him to start over with a new visa if he does get the 7 days (which is really not an extension but an extension denied)?

Yup - You make some good points - And yes It is an extension of stay based on retirement. My apologies I was sloppy with the wording

The dates are tight and you are right difficult operationally to play out in front of the immigration officer - Might even create a tension that generated a visibility that was unhealthy.

I have rethought the situation and leaving the country early and returning with Tourist or Visa exempt and then applying for conversion and then for an extension (see my response above) might work better.

- Good call you made here on the details of managing this and I like that.