Koh Mak (Maak) nr Cambodia - what's it like nowadays?

fish fingers

Need some 'time out' and I've just been reading up on this island - it looks great (bar the sand flies), relatively unspoiled ..like Lipe used to be perhaps?

Wd love some travel tips if anyone has visited recently or lives there now. I've also read its the largest privately owned island in thailand(altho its not a big island) - is this true?

Many thanks

Never been but have read reports. Some love it, some had issues with the heavy influx of Russian tourists...and sand flies. Right now it's the rainy season. Not sure about this island, but Koh Chang nearby gets pounded this time of year. Though we've had a really dry "wet" season so far!

Koh Mak is still relatively quiet, although the last few years there has been quite an increase in new buildings. Very few cars, no 7/11,no ATM. Sandflies to me were not a problem, my wife however could not go to the beach without protection (try 50/50 insectrepellent and strong sunscreenlotion, the "aussie solution"). We had a VIP bungalow directly on the beach, it was paradise.... There is, apart from diving, very little to do but relax. So be prepared to bring a good book!

Friend stayed there last year with his GF and both really liked it. Stayed in a beachside bungalow resort where each unit had been hand made by the owner and each was unique. I remember he told me he paid less than B800 p/n. Very quiet and good snorkeling. I forget which month they went.

Thanks guys. I know this area has a longer rainy season, I suppose that has its benefits with more 'greenery' inside the island.

Apparently Koh Mak is privately owned (altho land is for sale everywhere) I wish and hope that the 'owner' will protect the island from mass development

I visit there every year for a week to 2 week. Was there in June n was lovely. Out of season so only the wife and I and 3 other tourist.

People are lovely with no real anti-farang rudeness and if it's peace n quiet you want it's perfect.

Nothing much too do but sit, swim n pop out to Makathanee which is just a row of restaurants and a couple of souvenir shops for a meal and couple of drinks.

No cars, just the resorts songthaew to pick up guests from the pier.

A week just about does it then ฿550 for speedboat over to Koh Chang to up the heart rate a little.

Never no problems with sand flies.

Worth a visit if you don't get bored easily.

Weather at present has been great for this time of year. Generally we get rain up until November, and lots of it, but it's been fairly dry so far. Koh Mak is a nice island, and a good place to get away from the hustle and bustle.

Thanks guys. I know this area has a longer rainy season, I suppose that has its benefits with more 'greenery' inside the island.

Apparently Koh Mak is privately owned (altho land is for sale everywhere) I wish and hope that the 'owner' will protect the island from mass development

"Privately owned" to good part I think.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ko_Mak

"The first settler on the island was Chao Sua Seng, a Chinese Affairs Officer during the reign of King Rama V, who established a coconut plantation.

He then sold the plantation to Luang Prompakdii, also a Chinese Affairs Officer whose descendants still own the land to this day.

Luang Prompakdii and his children are known to have established more coconut and rubber plantations, effectively covering most of the arable land in these two sought after exports at the time."

Never been but have read reports. Some love it, some had issues with the heavy influx of Russian tourists...and sand flies. Right now it's the rainy season. Not sure about this island, but Koh Chang nearby gets pounded this time of year. Though we've had a really dry "wet" season so far!

Russians have invaded already ? If so, I'll scratch that one off the list.

Koh Maak is indeed very laid-back. I didn't see any Russian tourists there, or many tourists at all for that matter. Five families own pretty much the whole island and have blocked the so-called development that's ruined many of the islands--like no 7-11s if you can believe that. So not much to do, just slow down and experience a Thai island like it was back in the day. You do have to watch out for sand flies around dusk and at dawn as there's unfortunately a fair amount of garbage from boats washed up on some of the beaches.

I disagree about the Snorkelling offshore, it's not that great, the island is unusually flat so the water's very shallow a long way out, and it's too close to the mainland for there to be good visibility. You have to go to Koh Kuud for good snorkelling. But you can take a snorkelling trip out to the national park and other islands from there, for which I highly recommend Koh Maak divers, they've been operating there for close to 20 years.

I'll def spend some time on all 3 islands - interesting to read that Koh Mak really hasn't much in the way of snorkeling, or many other activities.. its a tiny island so it really only suits chilling.

Koh Kood looks to be a good mix, and with waterfalls and a few other hidden gems

• 1 year later...