Crackdown on Bangkok taxi drivers who refuse to accept passengers

webfact

"The cabbies, he added, must use meters and must not refuse to accept Thai passengers or they will face stern action from the authorities."

So it's ok to reject non-Thai passengers? Got to say prejudice isn't hidden from sight in the LOS

I actually do think cabbies should have a choice in whether or not to accept a fare, but this policy is clearly borne out of paranoia. The perseption being foreigners are never turned down and accept the metre not being used.

They don't say it's OK to reject foreign passengers. Actually they said: "and rejecting passengers in favour of foreign passengers."

As for the right of a cabbie to refuse a fare - they don't have that riigt as they are public transportation meaning belong to the public. I was a cabbie in Melbourne many years ago and as long as we did't display the "not for hire" sign we were obliged to accept all passengers. The only acceptable reasons to refuse a fare was fear to the cabbie's safety.

They don't say it, true. The implication is there though.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

All true, but where else you find taxis for that price? If you don't like the rejections, use Uber or Grab Taxi and it is still a fraction of what you would pay in your home country. Anyway a crack down is not the way to deal with such problems...

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Seeing more Grab Taxis by the day. They're well screened by the company before given the franchise. They're courteous, know the city, and worth the 50THB premium. I've found them to be increasingly available in the last couple months. Easily identified by the Grab Taxi window vinyl graphics.

• Like 1

Saturday evening, Sukhumvit near Soi 7 . . . 5 drivers in a row refused to take me to near On Nut BTS . . . and this was with a Policeman standing right beside me who (even though I told him they were refusing to take me) acted dumb and ignored me and eventually moved away . . . doubt much is going to change.

I live near On Nut BTS too and it's almost impossible to get them to take you in that direction from Nana as they are generally blocked in traffic as far as Asok/Phrom Phong on a busy Saturday and then it's almost impossible for them to get a return fare. Probably a good 40 minute round trip for what is generally 70-80 baht tip. My record for stops was 8 drivers in a row just past the corner of Soi 3.

I have better luck getting a taxi on the opposite side, near McDonalds on the corner of Soi 4, they turn left and then left again along the road that runs parallel to Suk road, then onto Rama 4 and get back on to Sukhumvit around Prakanong. Also offering 100 baht off the meter usually appeases them, if it's going to be 80 anyway what's a 20 baht tip.

"The cabbies, he added, must use meters and must not refuse to accept Thai passengers or they will face stern action from the authorities."

So it's ok to reject non-Thai passengers? Got to say prejudice isn't hidden from sight in the LOS

I actually do think cabbies should have a choice in whether or not to accept a fare, but this policy is clearly borne out of paranoia. The perseption being foreigners are never turned down and accept the metre not being used.

Clearly you are missing the point!! It's obviously NOT 'You must accept Thai passengers over foreigners' as you've apparently taken it (to start off yet another pointless cry of 'prejudice!!!') but the message is 'Don't reject Thais (who also need taxis!) thinking you can rip off foreigners (and probably still even hope you'll get a tip for doing so!!)'... as for meters, its up to you, as you get in a taxi, to ensure he/ she offers the price-to-destination you agree with OR for you to insist on a meter.. personally I lean in, ask, and if the driver offers nothing agreeable, or maybe just gives me needless attitude, I lean straight back out again!!.. funny, the snidey ones (and there's a lot who aren't) always look at you with a laughing contempt as you wave them away and yet don't seem to get it's THEY who just LOST a fare!!! wai.gif

Edited by spectrumisgreen
  • Like 2

All you moaners should be transported back 30 years when there were no meters and no air con..each trip had to be price bargained before leaving. I do occasionally get refused by taxi driver but dont see it as a problem. I have come across 2 taxis in the last 20 years who didnt turn on their meters. Both forgot and suggested i pay whatever i thought was reasonable which i did.

Did you have to walk 10 miles in the snow?

The problem is exacerbated by the habit of passengers opening the front door to tell drivers their destination. This gives drivers the easy option of declining. I don't know why people just don't get in the back and then tell the driver where they want to go ( probably because of fear of being kicked out with menace? ).

The habit you speak of was prompted by cabbies refusing fares after getting into the back seat and then having to get out after being refused service. It became easier to just ask first rather than be denied after sitting.

Saturday evening, Sukhumvit near Soi 7 . . . 5 drivers in a row refused to take me to near On Nut BTS . . . and this was with a Policeman standing right beside me who (even though I told him they were refusing to take me) acted dumb and ignored me and eventually moved away . . . doubt much is going to change.

I live near On Nut BTS too and it's almost impossible to get them to take you in that direction from Nana as they are generally blocked in traffic as far as Asok/Phrom Phong on a busy Saturday and then it's almost impossible for them to get a return fare. Probably a good 40 minute round trip for what is generally 70-80 baht tip. My record for stops was 8 drivers in a row just past the corner of Soi 3.

I have better luck getting a taxi on the opposite side, near McDonalds on the corner of Soi 4, they turn left and then left again along the road that runs parallel to Suk road, then onto Rama 4 and get back on to Sukhumvit around Prakanong. Also offering 100 baht off the meter usually appeases them, if it's going to be 80 anyway what's a 20 baht tip.

Offering 100B off the meter is exactly what they want. By contributing to this, actually in your case promoting it, you are causing problems for everyone else by training cabbies to cheat. Nice work ace!

• Like 2

Clearly you are missing the point!! It's obviously NOT 'You must accept Thai passengers over foreigners' as you've apparently taken it (to start off yet another pointless cry of 'prejudice!!!') but the message is 'Don't reject Thais (who also need taxis!) thinking you can rip off foreigners (and probably still even hope you'll get a tip for doing so!!)'... as for meters, its up to you, as you get in a taxi, to ensure he/ she offers the price-to-destination you agree with OR for you to insist on a meter.. personally I lean in, ask, and if the driver offers nothing agreeable, or maybe just gives me needless attitude, I lean straight back out again!!.. funny, the snidey ones (and there's a lot who aren't) always look at you with a laughing contempt as you wave them away and yet don't seem to get it's THEY who just LOST a fare!!! wai.gif
If there is no prejudice it should say do not reject passengers full stop. No nationality needs be mentioned if all passengers are being judged equally.

Or did that point pass you by?

Edited by Bluespunk

Offering 100B off the meter is exactly what they want. By contributing to this, actually in your case promoting it, you are causing problems for everyone else by training cabbies to cheat. Nice work ace!

9 times out of 10, they refuse to use meter and their flat rate is 300 baht, no negotiation.

I hope that they only accept Thai passengers is a translation error. If it is not the administration has lost a lot of my respect. .

Where does it say that they only accept Thai passengers, anyway? It says that they 'must not refuse' to accept Thai passengers!.. is that really such a difficult concept to comprehend, that they can't turn down Thais, (who need rides too) in favour of a foreigner, where any unscrupulous drivers may be seeing the opportunity to make an extra few baht by overcharging said farang(s), not using their meters to show a fair price, or just not agreeing on a reasonable A to B fare? wai.gif

If there is no prejudice it should say do not reject passengers full stop. No nationality needs be mentioned if all passengers are being judged equally.

I think maybe it's still passing YOU by that the drivers are being told exactly that.. NOT to differentiate by nationality!.. to me, that's the POINT of the story, so how can it NOT mention the particular nationality if taxi drivers are being told NOT to ignore that specific one, even when in this case its their own countrymen which are often CURRENTLY being rejected for fares??? Anyway, enough.. my 'take', your 'take'.. all due respect and have a nice day, ok mai?... wai.gifthumbsup.gif

whistling.gif I live only a block or so in a residence from one of the areas mentioned in the article where I often catch a taxi.

I've had the problem of taxi drivers refusing me often on long trips in Bangkok.

I'm just passing on this info for Farangs who have been refused service.

Sometimes they may be refusing you, but often you are there at the wrong time.

Many taxi drivers do not own the taxi they drive, they RENT the taxi from the owner or owner's company. An 8 hour shift is often how they rent it. Quite often that 8 hour shift they have the taxi for is from 6 a.m. to 2.p.m. .... the peak time for people going to work.

Someone else has the shift after their shift finishes.

Often the OWNERS will fine the divers if they do not return the taxi on time when their shift ends because the next shift driver is waiting for the taxi to be returned for him to start his shift.

That is why between 1 p.m. and 3 p,m. is the WORST time to try to catch a taxi at those choke points the article mentions.

The 50 or 100 Baht fine the owner charges the driver for not returning the taxi on time may be a small matter to you, but to the driver it means a big cut in what he makes in his 8 or 12 hour shift.

Sukhumvit road and the traffic there is one of the places the drivers hate to go ESPECIALLY lower Sukhmvit (the " Farang Ghetto" area).

That is often what you as a "Stupid Farang" just don't understand, and you are the one who often the one who causes the problems.

Instead of waiting at a taxi queue, and getting rejected, walk down the street a block or so and try to flag down a taxi there.

You might be surprised how much easier it goes to do that.

Yes, "Stupid Farang" waiting for a taxi in the taxi queue. Duh, who waits in a taxi queue for a taxi.

"Stupid Farang" expecting to get a service from a driver and his car, whose sole purpose for being on the road is to provide a....what's the word I'm looking for - oh, yeah...service.

"Stupid Farang" looking to get a taxi at the peak time people are going to work, between 6am and 2pm. Should be looking to get a taxi between 2pm and 10pm when, logically, there would be no people finishing work and wanting to go home - by taxi.

Between 1pm and 3pm is the WORST time because the taxi drivers are finishing there 6am to 2pm shift and want to avoid a fine. We "Stupid Farang" just don't understand that finishing a shift at 2pm has some kind of temporal affect on time, that stops the driver who's starting the new shift from functioning normally until after 3pm.

We're so stupid I'm amazed we manage to function and survive in this oasis of mass intelligence.

I'm all for constructive criticism, (though it seems to be lacking in the quoted post) and the observation about rented cars and shift changes probably has some relevance. IMA_FARANG, you're not a taxi driver are you?

• Like 1

I think maybe it's still passing YOU by that the drivers are being told exactly that.. NOT to differentiate by nationality!.. to me, that's the POINT of the story, so how can it NOT mention the particular nationality if taxi drivers are being told NOT to ignore that specific one, even when in this case its their own countrymen which are often CURRENTLY being rejected for fares??? Anyway, enough.. my 'take', your 'take'.. all due respect and have a nice day, ok mai?... wai.gifthumbsup.gif

Yes I see that, but my point is that they refuse everyone, of all nationalities but are only being warned of prosecution if they refuse Thais.

But yes, you're right, we clearly are taking different reads of the same story.

Enjoy the rest of your day :-).

Edited by Bluespunk

They need to look into the taxis on Sukhumvit road. I was refused by at least 8 drivers around 2-00 pm yesterday . I don't know what there game is it's a 120 fare.

Many of the Sukhumvit Sois (examples, 11, 4) are controlled by a long standing taxi mafia. Try hailing a cab on Soi 11. They will never, ever turn on the meter. One driver even told me in December: "I don't use meter, I'm taxi mafia." Those were his exact words. A regular taxi driver told me that he is "not allowed" to pick up passengers on those streets, only drop off and leave. And he also told me that many of the drivers are army people... I have no way to very his statement, but that is what I was told.

It seems these crackdowns are only affecting "mafias" that came to power after Thaksin--like the famed ones in Phuket--and normal taxi drivers (who are mostly red, BTW).

On the other hand, mafias that have been in place before the mid 2000s--like the Sukhumvit taxi mafia--still have free reign. So the question remains. Are they fighting ALL corruption, or just red corruption?

Edited by moto77

TIT...always an excuse for doing wrong or breaking rules. That's why we need to report every move we make to immigration.

They see their own people such as taxi drivers break every rule...SO FARANG must be doing it also. Make us comply daily.

One simple solution...

Make half of the cabs park and take the day off while the other half works and rotate the days. Less traffic...less pollution and better for all.

Edited by IAMSOBAD

The problem is exacerbated by the habit of passengers opening the front door to tell drivers their destination. This gives drivers the easy option of declining. I don't know why people just don't get in the back and then tell the driver where they want to go ( probably because of fear of being kicked out with menace? ).

Actually, you want to give taxi the option to reject the destination. This may be a minor inconvenience, but better for both parties to mutually go in the same desired direction.

in case you have missed it, the Taxi is a service for giving the paying customer a ride to the customers desired destination.

The customer should not have to pay for giving the Taxi driver a ride to the TAXI drivers desired destination.

If the Taxi driver wants to go somewhere without taking a customer, he should switch off the available sign, alternatively, stop driving the taxi

• Like 2

. Anyway a crack down is not the way to deal with such problems...

Criticism can be valid with a viable alternative. Criticism for criticism sake is not helpful to anyone

I have never had a problem with "meter on" but have been turned down sometimes. I guess some drivers live in hope but at the end of the day a fare is a fare! A crackdown to ensure taxi drivers treat locals same as foreigner is ok by me.

Wonder if the taxi drivers have been told about the crackdown?

• Like 1

All you moaners should be transported back 30 years when there were no meters and no air con..each trip had to be price bargained before leaving. I do occasionally get refused by taxi driver but dont see it as a problem. I have come across 2 taxis in the last 20 years who didnt turn on their meters. Both forgot and suggested i pay whatever i thought was reasonable which i did.

Either you´ve never tried to get a cab on lower Sukhumvit or you´re lying.

Don´t get me wrong, I can understand some of them for not taking the fare, but when EVERYTIME you try to get a cab you usually have to hail 5-10 cabs before you get a guy who will take the fare, then it gets a bit tiresome...

• Like 1

On an average your cab ride is about 80 baht Roughly. Here is simple rule cab pulls over hop in back say two things One meter and don bai when close where you want to go joot joot . give him 100 baht and say la goon and go. He make 20 baht you get ride you then walk yourself home get a little excerise.

Anyway a crack down is not the way to deal with such problems...

Criticism without a viable alternative is hardly helpful.

And I wonder if the taxi drivers/owners have been advised of the "crackdown"?

I have never encountered a problem with "meter on" in the last few years, but have some times been refused service. Perhaps some drivers live in hope? At the end of the day a fare is a fare and that has to be a huge improvement over NO fare!

And I do not have a problem with locals being given same consideration as foreigner. Maybe some posters are reading discrimination where perhaps it is not intended.

Anyway a crack down is not the way to deal with such problems...

Criticism without a viable alternative is hardly helpful.

And I wonder if the taxi drivers/owners have been advised of the "crackdown"?

I have never encountered a problem with "meter on" in the last few years, but have some times been refused service. Perhaps some drivers live in hope? At the end of the day a fare is a fare and that has to be a huge improvement over NO fare!

And I do not have a problem with locals being given same consideration as foreigner. Maybe some posters are reading discrimination where perhaps it is not intended.

It's not a case of fare V no fare.....The problem is they get next to nothing when the Taxi is stitting in heavy traffic and for all we know they may have to come all the way back to where they pick you up.

The only way to tackle the problem is to increase the rate for standing still.

As thing are it make no sense economically for a taxi driver to accept a fare than can badly affect his income.

• Like 2