Crackdown on Bangkok taxi drivers who refuse to accept passengers

webfact

The problem is exacerbated by the habit of passengers opening the front door to tell drivers their destination. This gives drivers the easy option of declining. I don't know why people just don't get in the back and then tell the driver where they want to go ( probably because of fear of being kicked out with menace? ).

That doesn't work at all. If you don't accept their offer they just stop and ask you to get out. I have no interest in arguing with a taxi driver over a small fare and just get out - that's just a waste of time and energy.

Edited by tropo
  • Like 1

Maybe if they introduced 'standing time' to the ticking meter it might help with drivers willing to take fares they know will cause them to be in traffic.

Meters in cabs in many countries around the world still tick over when standing still. With such low per km rates a little extra for being in traffic might encourage use of the meter by more drivers.

A few years back I caught a cab on Rajadamri to go a km or two to the Pan Pacific (now Crown Plaza). Was with some friends from abroad so we looked like a group of tourists. Driver was happy to go by meter, and the reason became obvious after we'd left. The meter was ticking every 30m or so, starting from the very first 30m. There was no stopping in traffic. I quickly told the driver to stop and we got out. Driver got out as well and insisted I pay what was showing on the meter. I refused and suggested we talk to the police. After a bit of arguing he grabbed my shirt so I grabbed his arm and warned him to be careful without being overly aggressive. Guess he thought his scare tactic wasn't working and left.

This was, however, an isolated incident in the many years I have lived here. Sure there have been other dishonest cabbies, but in truth nearly all I have dealt with have been decent, and some have been very kind. These people (the non mafia type) are just eking out a living, and we should cut them some slack. As for getting refused, think of it as basic economics. Most of the time it's economics, not greed, that dictates. Who cares what the law says if the fare structure does not match economic reality. Unless of course pregnant or disabled people etc are being refused.

Overcharging and using rigged meters are another story. As far as the mafia (they're in my soi too) and cheaters go, karma will take care of them.

Edit: @Absolut, there actually is a standing charge here in Bangkok. It's 1.25 baht/min (75 bt/hr), and obviously the main reason cabbies are refusing certain destinations. For those of you thinking that this charge is fair vis-à-vis the 300 bt/day minimum wage, please don't forget about vehicle rent and fuel.

Edited by puuchaibaa

And how about on Silom and Suriwongse roads - the taxi drivers there will not only refuse you but also will not use the meters if you are lucky enough to get one that will take you where you want to go.. They will demand exhorbitant fees and, oh yes, God forbid it is raining - bring along a portable ATM machine!!

First, there are not enough "foreigners" in Bangkok (even during the peak tourist season) to make a significant "availability" impact on the local Thai passenger market. So the "cry-baby" complaints are, as usual, quite ludicrous. Besides, a taxi driver (world-wide), is a self-employed person, and has "the right" to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. A Police crackdown on taxi drivers for determining their own market demographic, is a blatant human rights violation.

Thai passengers don't tip. Foreigners do. Its simple math, especially when you consider that the 35 baht meter start fee, is the exact same fee from 25-years ago. Has anyone (of the powers-that-be) considered the 25-year rate of inflation? Huh? I suppose taxi drivers are not considered to be a significant part of the Thai society "pecking whistling.gifrder".

The comment, re: the 20% illegal taxi drivers issue, was totally off-topic. Chow, wai2.gif

The 35bht meter start fee MAY BE the same as 25yrs ago,but what has definitely changed is the initial distance to cover that fee, has been reduced on more than one occasion, therefore the cost has gone up.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

Any taxi driver that rolls down the window and tries to interview the customer is a scammer.

Any taxi parked outside your hotel is a scammer.

Taxi drivers agree to take all fares when they sign up for the job.

Get in and inform the driver of your destination and pay what the meter says. Simple.

Just be sure to watch the meter.

Drivers have a secret button that can run the meter up. If you see this, change your destination to the police department.

I disagree with the first part.

I often feel like walking away as soon as they roll down the window, but I think about 50% of that type will take me to my destination and some of the drivers are very pleasant and friendly.

Edited by petedk

Maybe if they introduced 'standing time' to the ticking meter it might help with drivers willing to take fares they know will cause them to be in traffic.

Meters in cabs in many countries around the world still tick over when standing still. With such low per km rates a little extra for being in traffic might encourage use of the meter by more drivers.

They have this is Thailand. Just look at the price list which usually hangs on the back of the front seat.

That is not the reason they refuse customers. I have tried to take a taxi from Asoke to Esplanade on Ratchada 10 am on a public holiday. I had two taxis refuse. The third took me and it took about 7 or 8 minutes and cost about 50 baht. I have no idea why the others refused.

A few years back I caught a cab on Rajadamri to go a km or two to the Pan Pacific (now Crown Plaza). Was with some friends from abroad so we looked like a group of tourists. Driver was happy to go by meter, and the reason became obvious after we'd left. The meter was ticking every 30m or so, starting from the very first 30m. There was no stopping in traffic. I quickly told the driver to stop and we got out. Driver got out as well and insisted I pay what was showing on the meter. I refused and suggested we talk to the police. After a bit of arguing he grabbed my shirt so I grabbed his arm and warned him to be careful without being overly aggressive. Guess he thought his scare tactic wasn't working and left.

This was, however, an isolated incident in the many years I have lived here.

It may have been an isolated incident, but you handled it very badly. How much did the scrap save you?

First, there are not enough "foreigners" in Bangkok (even during the peak tourist season) to make a significant "availability" impact on the local Thai passenger market. So the "cry-baby" complaints are, as usual, quite ludicrous. Besides, a taxi driver (world-wide), is a self-employed person, and has "the right" to refuse service to anyone, for any reason. A Police crackdown on taxi drivers for determining their own market demographic, is a blatant human rights violation.

Thai passengers don't tip. Foreigners do. Its simple math, especially when you consider that the 35 baht meter start fee, is the exact same fee from 25-years ago. Has anyone (of the powers-that-be) considered the 25-year rate of inflation? Huh? I suppose taxi drivers are not considered to be a significant part of the Thai society "pecking whistling.gifrder".

The comment, re: the 20% illegal taxi drivers issue, was totally off-topic. Chow, wai2.gif

The 35bht meter start fee MAY BE the same as 25yrs ago,but what has definitely changed is the initial distance to cover that fee, has been reduced on more than one occasion, therefore the cost has gone up.

Not to mention that Thai law makes it clear they can't refuse fares, else there would be no crackdown no fines and such. That is something Native son is forgetting.

an unruly bunch just like in the days before meters were standard ,when you had to haggle . the old days are back

at each end of patpong are the worst shysters asking enormous fees and soi4 near the grace hotel

Edited by 3NUMBAS

Regardless, Its still the cheapest taxi fare structure in Asia.

Regardless, Its still the cheapest taxi fare structure in Asia.

Not really, because no matter how cheap the "taxi fare structure" is, if you can't get it, it's of no practical value to us. In Manila you can go about the same distance or even further on the meters, but good luck getting any drivers to use them.

Unless they start introducing large fines which hurt (10k and up), these clampdowns are just a waste of time.

I prefer both the taxi drivers and the fares in Bangkok compared to the ones in my home country. And it's not often they refuse to drive me or don't turn on the meter

LOL. They refuse me about once a year, when I make my yearly trip to Bangkok.

How often they refuse you will depend on your location and time.

Any taxi driver that rolls down the window and tries to interview the customer is a scammer.

Any taxi parked outside your hotel is a scammer.

Taxi drivers agree to take all fares when they sign up for the job.

Get in and inform the driver of your destination and pay what the meter says. Simple.

Just be sure to watch the meter.

Drivers have a secret button that can run the meter up. If you see this, change your destination to the police department.

Taxi drivers agree to take all fares when they sign up for the job, you say? Wrong, wrong and wrong again. I don't know what planet you've been living on, but welcome to the planet called "Earth". Taxi drivers (world-wide) are NOT company employees. They are (in fact) "independent" contractors. Its a hustling person's business, and a taxi driver waiting for "prospective" passengers, from outside of a busy hotel, is not a scam artist. He's a wise businessman. Taxi drivers (world-wide) will first interview prospective passengers, agree upon the rate (meter or flat fee, if the driver is also the taxi owner) prior to beginning the livery service trip. That standard holds true for London, New York, Paris, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Berlin, Rio de Janeiro, Rome, Budapest, Bucharest, Tel Aviv, etc. Capiche?. Even if the Thai drivers do "cheat" a bit, so what? The Bangkok taxi fares are some of the lowest fares on the planet. If you were an experienced traveler, you would have already known the facts, and probably would not have posted those absurd remarks. Thailand is real easy, in that regard. Don't believe it? Then take a taxi (Teksi) trip in the city of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Then compare the differences, especially with regards to the secret meter button. For heaven sake, lighten up, sir! Have a nice one. wai2.gif

What are you talking about? The law states they must accept fares.

These "wise businessmen" you speak of are breaking the law refusing passengers.

(that's why there is a crackdownwhistling.gif )

They are not businessmen of course. They are not taxies.

They are criminals, posing as taxi drivers to get close to their victims, first time tourists.

These criminals pay the scamming police to lease the scam turf in from of hotels. This is a fact.

The parking area is leased out by the police. Honest drivers are attacked and chased away.

Every scamming taxi in the tourist areas are paying off the police! That is why it is impossible to get a taxi in the hotel district and tourist centers.

Now you know.

• Like 1

Criminals posing as taxi drivers waiting for first time tourists to scam on Sukhumvit Soi 6 outside the Dynasty and Sofitel Hotels.

For years, people in the neighborhood have complained about these criminals. They will never give a regular passenger a ride. Hotels guests are forced to use the criminal services or walk!

Depending on the location, they each pay the police 1,000bt. - 3,000bt. a month.

Notice how they park close to hide their license plate numbers and the final guy in the row raises his trunk lid to hide the license plate.

post-204729-0-92399200-1408146663_thumb. post-204729-0-49413300-1408146675_thumb.

This scene is repeated in front of EVERY tourist hotel. Very good earner for the police.

Lets see. I roughly estimate 100 hotels in the Lumpini district with about 6 criminal taxis drivers per hotel payong 3,000bt each to the police.

That's 1,800,000Bt per month going into the police pockets for protection. Just in one district.

Edited by ZigZagMan
  • Like 2

Criminals posing as taxi drivers waiting for first time tourists to scam on Sukhumvit Soi 6 outside the Dynasty and Sofitel Hotels.

For years, people in the neighborhood have complained about these criminals. They will never give a regular passenger a ride. Hotels guests are forced to use the criminal services or walk!

Depending on the location, they each pay the police 1,000bt. - 3,000bt. a month.

Notice how they park close to hide their license plate numbers and the final guy in the row raises his trunk lid to hide the license plate.

attachicon.gifTaxi mafia Dynasty.jpg attachicon.gifTaxi Mafia Sofietel.jpg

This scene is repeated in front of EVERY tourist hotel. Very good earner for the police.

Lets see. I roughly estimate 100 hotels in the Lumpini district with about 6 criminal taxis drivers per hotel payong 3,000bt each to the police.

That's 1,800,000Bt per month going into the police pockets for protection. Just in one district.

live in sathorn and I can support what you say. these criminal "taxi driver gangs" are only interested in naive tourist punters ,easy rip off material .Police are often 100 meters down the road directing traffic. Nothing is done.Free rein and something that could easily be dealt with but never is.
  • Like 1

I prefer both the taxi drivers and the fares in Bangkok compared to the ones in my home country. And it's not often they refuse to drive me or don't turn on the meter

I have been living in Bangkok for 14+ years :) and been here since they started with taxi meter Edited by larsjohnsson

This differs from my experience recently. The ONLY taxis that would use their meters were the taxis parked at the Baiyoke Sky Hotel rank. All others tried to negotiate fares.

last month i have two friend coming from france in vacation, i told theme told the taxi driver to turn the meter on , no one want to do that,for 3 week in bangkok whit different taxi every days! they charge theme about 300 bt even for short distance,so yes, this is going to be hard to make this taxi driver to change the bad habit...

Since taxis have been forced to use meters i have never had the above problem.Sometimes i tell them,no meter.

Some journeys seem to be popular with drivers, others not. I've more or less given up getting a cab from Din Daeng into Sukhumvit on a Friday afternoon around 4 -6pm in favour of the BTS. -6,7,8 cabs will refuse to take me and it really pisses me off after a hard weeks work and can't get a ride into town for the meter price. On the way back, after a few beverages at midnight, I rarely have any problem getting a cab to take me to Victory Monument on the meter. Must be a popular run.

If you really need a cab: state your destination and state the fare you are prepared to offer - 200 Baht, 4 Quid, US$7, will take you more or less anywhere in Bangkok, anytime. I know it encourages 'overcharging' but it gets you where you want to go. Job done!

whistling.gif I live only a block or so in a residence from one of the areas mentioned in the article where I often catch a taxi.

I've had the problem of taxi drivers refusing me often on long trips in Bangkok.

I'm just passing on this info for Farangs who have been refused service.

Sometimes they may be refusing you, but often you are there at the wrong time.

Many taxi drivers do not own the taxi they drive, they RENT the taxi from the owner or owner's company. An 8 hour shift is often how they rent it. Quite often that 8 hour shift they have the taxi for is from 6 a.m. to 2.p.m. .... the peak time for people going to work.

Someone else has the shift after their shift finishes.

Often the OWNERS will fine the divers if they do not return the taxi on time when their shift ends because the next shift driver is waiting for the taxi to be returned for him to start his shift.

That is why between 1 p.m. and 3 p,m. is the WORST time to try to catch a taxi at those choke points the article mentions.

The 50 or 100 Baht fine the owner charges the driver for not returning the taxi on time may be a small matter to you, but to the driver it means a big cut in what he makes in his 8 or 12 hour shift.

Sukhumvit road and the traffic there is one of the places the drivers hate to go ESPECIALLY lower Sukhmvit (the " Farang Ghetto" area).

That is often what you as a "Stupid Farang" just don't understand, and you are the one who often the one who causes the problems.

Instead of waiting at a taxi queue, and getting rejected, walk down the street a block or so and try to flag down a taxi there.

You might be surprised how much easier it goes to do that.

Then they need to turn off the "available " sign. They can pull over and negotiate then if they want. There is no excuse for not taking you where you want to go. Not even "i wanted to go to bpradtoo nam" . Well i didn't tell you to pull over and pick me up! Quit whining!

Any particular reason why I can't get information on you when I click on your avatar?

They have this is Thailand. Just look at the price list which usually hangs on the back of the front seat.

That is not the reason they refuse customers. I have tried to take a taxi from Asoke to Esplanade on Ratchada 10 am on a public holiday. I had two taxis refuse. The third took me and it took about 7 or 8 minutes and cost about 50 baht. I have no idea why the others refused.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed as the fares have always been so low, last night we went from Asoke / Sukhumvit intersection up to Thonglor Soi 13 and return, each trip the first guy who pulled up had no problem with the trip nor using the meter. 49 baht each way, as a foreigner it just seems so cheap.

I have been living in Bangkok for 14+ years smile.png and been here since they started with taxi meter

As I said, it would depend on the time and location. I can't believe you have some kind of magic that immediately convinces taxi drivers to use their meters.

Try hanging out at the main tourist locations during peak traffic times and see how often you will be refused