Two-month fisheries ban in parts of Gulf of Thailand already paying off

webfact

Two-month fisheries ban in parts of the gulf already paying off

BANGKOK, 14 August 2014 (NNT) – The Fisheries Department has reported that its measure banning fishing activities for two months in parts of the Gulf of Thailand has yielded great benefit to fishermen, whose catch rate have increased significantly.

Department director-general Niwat Suthimichaikun spoke on Wednesday of the measure to ban fishing in a stretch of the Gulf that included the seas off Prachuap Khirikhan, Phetchaburi, Samut Songkhram, Samut Sakhon, Samut Prakan, Chachoengsao, Chonburi and Bangkok.

The stretch was determined to be the major spawning site of numerous marine species.

The fisheries ban was in effect from June 1 to July 31. The two-month ban has already begun to pay off; fishermen are now making an average catch of 18 kilograms per hour, compared to the usual rate of 13 kilograms per hour before the ban took effect. Currently, around 10,000 mackerels are being caught per day.

This compared very favorably to the 2,000 mackerels caught per day before the 'closure' of the Gulf. The size of the fish has also increased. According to Mr. Niwat, other marine catches have also increased in quantity and in size.

[nnt]2014-08-14[/nnt]

All in 2 months....the mind boggles.....!

I look forward to the claims by the forums faithful that this is all due to the munificence of the junta. 
Hail the junta may they hunt the reds forever and give the red posters nightmares.

But 2 months is quite a short time for recovery. I wonder if its just good news or real. I hope the latter.

hahahahaha, yes after a 2 month ban the size has increased that much they are no longer able to escape the 1cm meshblink.png , are these idiots for real. All the fish they take are undersize every where else in the world but here everything is a "keeper". They breally need to think about the future and do proper closures but profits come before sustainability, lets see 18 kg an hour for at least 8 to 10 hours a day by how many thousand boats, yes very sustainable........

no it is surprising that even 99% of the fisher didn't follow the ban there is still an improvement of x00%.

It is almost like elections in North Korea

I look forward to the claims by the forums faithful that this is all due to the munificence of the junta. 
Hail the junta may they hunt the reds forever and give the red posters nightmares.

But 2 months is quite a short time for recovery. I wonder if its just good news or real. I hope the latter.

"May they hunt the reds forever"    and  may they force all the ultra corrupt Yellows into the nearest Temple for the next 20 years.

"May they hunt the reds forever"    and  may they force all the ultra corrupt Yellows into the nearest Temple for the next 20 years.

Yes please.. no need for corrupt yellows, but instead of the temple why not put them in jail and do the same for corrupt reds. Sondi is a good example of how it should be done. 

But if you did not understand that this was in a response to a stupid remark of fab4 then you have a problem.

It won't take  the  fishermen long to snap up any  extra  fish. They should put 12 month bans on certain areas and strictly police it.

Agreed, that would help, but i have seen fisherman fishing in nature parks often. Policing is the problem in Thailand it has always been that way. It took a long while before we got it right in Europe (but there are still countries that are not as great with the law there) Its better as it has been but still even there rules are broken and quota not respected.

I remember cases of this in my home country of the Netherlands. But the fines were heavy so at least something has been done. Things are better now.