Fishing Bait/tackle Shop In Chiang Mai?

podge

hi there i have been living here now for 3 weeks, and i love the place, startng to know my way around , and the language a little too!!

i have been looking for a fishing shop here and cant seem to find one. is there any here? i want one that will sell bait etc...

thankyou. also if anyone can give me tips on where to fish, this would be gratefully recieved! :o

hi there i have been living here now for 3 weeks, and i love the place, startng to know my way around , and the language a little too!!

i have been looking for a fishing shop here and cant seem to find one. is there any here? i want one that will sell bait etc...

thankyou. also if anyone can give me tips on where to fish, this would be gratefully recieved! :o

There is a good tackle shop in C M.and i can tell you how to find it, thus:face tha pai gate, then turn right....and keep going until you have to turn right or walk into the water.so, turn right, and the tackle shop is a few yards along the road.the owner speaks very good english, is very obliging,and helpful.

Sorry about the complicated directions, but i hardly know CM,and do not have a map.

i know nothing of fishing in or near CM...I do all mine near Pai.

hope this has been useful.....

thankyou for your reply, i shall try and find it tomorrow, if anyone else can help me with suggestions on where to fish , i would be most grateful. i was going to try the river, but itlooks a bit muddy, dont know if i will catch there, soon find out i suppose! :o

Thers one at the new Rimping at Maejo a couple of doors up from the Siam bank.Also if you leave Chiang mai on the Chiang rai road and turn left at San Sai market there was a really good shop down there on the left but ive not been for 12 months now so not 100% sure hes still there.Also a small one backside of Hangdong Market.Let me know if you find some good spots but im not sure if your allowed to fish the Rivers.

hi , managed to find the shop you told me about, the owner was very helpful, and a great english speaker too, yesterday i went to bo-sang not far away to tohe fishing park, was great got my arm pulled off by huge catfish! was only 100 baht. if you fancy going fishing give me a shout. im going to try the dam sometime soon il let you know how it goes.

p :o

Edited by podge

hi , managed to find the shop you told me about, the owner was very helpful, and a great english speaker too, yesterday i went to bo-sang not far away to tohe fishing park, was great got my arm pulled off by huge catfish! was only 100 baht. if you fancy going fishing give me a shout. im going to try the dam sometime soon il let you know how it goes.

glad to be of assistance.....would love to join you for a spot of piscatorial pleasure......but as i live in Pai, where there is much good fishing, shall take a raincheck.if you are ever up this way, give me a shout.

• 6 months later...

thankyou. also if anyone can give me tips on where to fish, this would be gratefully recieved! :D

There is a good tackle shop in C M.and i can tell you how to find it, thus:face tha pai gate, then turn right....and keep going until you have to turn right or walk into the water.so, turn right, and the tackle shop is a few yards along the road.the owner speaks very good english, is very obliging,and helpful.

Sorry about the complicated directions, but i hardly know CM,and do not have a map.

Thapae Gate has TWO sides. A front and a back side.

These directions are pretty much useless without knowing if you start on the Moonmuang Road side or the Kothchasan Road side of the gate. :o

• Thanks 1

thankyou. also if anyone can give me tips on where to fish, this would be gratefully recieved! :D

These directions are pretty much useless without knowing if you start on the Moonmuang Road side or the Kothchasan Road side of the gate. :o

I would suggest it is from the moon muang side... basically following moon muang the opposite way against the traffic, and to the right, around the corner. I have no idea what is there, but a tackle shop is possible.

The man starts on the Moonmuang side because it is the only way you will encounter the "turn right or walk into the water" unless you want to walk a hel_l of a lot of kilometers out of town by my map anyway.

These directions are pretty much useless without knowing if you start on the Moonmuang Road side or the Kothchasan Road side of the gate. :D

not to Podge as he/she managed to find the shop in question!! perhaps he got wet first before finding the shop! :o

the OP and ronw were on the same wave length so all is good in the galaxy Obewan :D

• 2 years later...

Edited by alfieconn

• 5 months later...

thankyou. also if anyone can give me tips on where to fish, this would be gratefully recieved! :)

I think I know the one you mean - I tried to find it when I was in CM a couple of years back but it was closed. When you say face the Tha Pai gate do you mean from inside the old city walls ie. looking toward the Ping River?

I will be in CM for the New Year - hope to get some fishing in then.

Hi, there are two shops selling fishing gear on Thipanet Road going south away from the moat towards airport central, on the right hand side, the 2nd shop is about 200m before the junction for Airport Central on the right hand side.

There is also another shop on the way to Bo-Sang lake, it is on the San Kamphaeng road, the 1006. As you cross over the super highway, go past the petrol station on the left, about 1km further on the left, just after the place (on the left) that has aquariums for sale. If you have got to the next big junction, you have gone too far. Sells bait as well.

Go to Bo Sang a fair bit, certainly catch big catfish there. Stocked lake so even a complete amateur will almost certainly catch something!

• 1 year later...

Hi, there are two shops selling fishing gear on Thipanet Road going south away from the moat towards airport central, on the right hand side, the 2nd shop is about 200m before the junction for Airport Central on the right hand side.

There is also another shop on the way to Bo-Sang lake, it is on the San Kamphaeng road, the 1006. As you cross over the super highway, go past the petrol station on the left, about 1km further on the left, just after the place (on the left) that has aquariums for sale. If you have got to the next big junction, you have gone too far. Sells bait as well.

Go to Bo Sang a fair bit, certainly catch big catfish there. Stocked lake so even a complete amateur will almost certainly catch something!

Those are the two shops that I most often frequent if I need something. But, I have yet to find a shop that sells fly fishing equipment in Thailand. I bring my own.

Bosan fishing park is okay for catching the big Mekong catfish, but not much else. There are a few common snakeheads and the occasional fish with scales, but I seldom see anyone with anything to bring home. The big catfish must be released unharmed.

Dream Park costs more to fish but it offers a wider variety of species, including Peacock bass and a few Arapaima.

Dream_park_2.jpg

Dream_park_1.jpg

Dream_park_3.jpg

Arapaima_1.jpg

Common_snakehead_7.jpg

Peacock_bass_1.jpg

Two things.

1 I know there is a manufacturing plant in Chiang Mai making fly's so would there not be a shop some where that sells them as well as reel, rod and line.

2 I see people fishing in the ping river off the iron bridge and close by. What is it they catch and is it edible?

Two things.

1 I know there is a manufacturing plant in Chiang Mai making fly's so would there not be a shop some where that sells them as well as reel, rod and line.

2 I see people fishing in the ping river off the iron bridge and close by. What is it they catch and is it edible?

There are 3 or 4 companies in Chiang Mai that have Thai staff tying high quality flies, but the flies are for export to countries where fly fishing is popular. The women who tie the flies don't even fish.

girl_tying_1.jpg

Tying high quality flies on production basis is a difficult and demanding job and it usually takes young eyes. Women tend to be better than men at maintaining high quality at repetitious jobs over a long period of time. It might be genetic, but it seems to be true the world over. I'm a good fly tier and designer of flies, but I couldn't do the job as well as the young ladies I teach.

Realize please that liver fluke cercariae (a parasite whose live cycle involves a certain snail and then fish (though, in a pinch---humans work just fine) infest most waters around Chiang Mai. The moat is absolutely rife with liver fluke cercariae, so much so that if you were to use a bucket to water lettuce that you were growing and then ate the lettuce, there is no doubt that, in time, you would develop liver flukes, which can be quite serious. Many who live along the Ping river routinely show cercariae in fecal testing.

In the North, a common fish delicacy is raw fish that is marinated in a vinegar (Koi Pla) and which the local people believe that the marinating kill any liver fluke cercariae. Well, in fact, if the fish is cut properly and marinated for two days in vinegar of appropriate acetic acid content, they are right. Unfortunately for them and for any adventurous farang many locals believe that a few hours of marinating is sufficient and sadly, it is not.

Outside of the cities, in rural villages (including villages on the Ping river) the rate of infected population often exceed 16%, in the Northeast there are areas where 70% of the entire population are infected with liver flukes.

Though liver flukes generally do not kill you they do put you at risk for certain malignant liver cancers.

Cooked fish, cooked to 160 degrees is safe but be careful to avoid accidental, even very minor, water or fish contamination of food or drink. The cercariae are too tiny to see.

It used to make me cringe a bit to see kids splashing around in SW corner of the moat.

Edited by jsflynn603