Cleared 11 year overstay

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also want to know why 11 years.

Were you not privy of the law or did you just chose to ignore it ?

None of your bloody business really is it coffee1.gif

Not an unreasonable question considering the OP has gone public with this. I'd also like to know! LOL

But glad it worked out. I met a guy from the UK who was living in the US with an expired visa. He got caught in an immigration crackdown in his apartment building. I think he said he spent some 3-4 months in jail before being booted out.

I sent for new passport and the stamps were transferred at Suvarnabhumi. It was not a concern of the passport issuing authority.

I take it you are not from the UK?

Their requirements for proof of an address expect people to be 'legit'.

I also want to know why 11 years.

Were you not privy of the law or did you just chose to ignore it ?

None of your bloody business really is it coffee1.gif

Not an unreasonable question considering the OP has gone public with this. I'd also like to know! LOL

But glad it worked out. I met a guy from the UK who was living in the US with an expired visa. He got caught in an immigration crackdown in his apartment building. I think he said he spent some 3-4 months in jail before being booted out.

Glad it worked out too.

Yea, none of my bloody business so why say it to begin with ?

Keep it to yourself or expect responsees.

Simple really....

Not angry just sad that you treated the law here with such contempt. IMO you should have been blacklisted for at least another 11 years.

Guys like you make me laugh.

Here is someone who has had the cojones to overstay 11 years!!

So many who stay here wish they could do the same but life has them scared and trembling

Then just shut your throat to begin with.

Yea, rough, but true.

What did you expect ?

No inquiries ?

Man, you are why all this visa crap is going on.

Duh..........................

Really? How so?

Oh, and 'shut your throat'. Class, real class coffee1.gif

by angering the authorities and causing immigration officials to be overzealous out of fear of losing their jobs

by angering the authorities and causing immigration officials to be overzealous out of fear of losing their jobs

That is funny, overstays did not "anger" authorities for decades before. Actually, it was a quite nice way of earn extra money for them at the borders. Some old dude out there in some Isaan village, living a quiet life, is certainly not angering anybody. He has gone truly native, regardless of his overstay.

Frankly I would have kept all of it to myself.

He would've kept it to himself, but he posted it in the light of the recent crackdown to encourage others to clear their overstay safely before it's too late.

Think what you would think if someone did it in your own.

If he lived in a developing country that gives foreigners no rights, benefits, employment capacity, healthcare, land ownership or automatic citizenship, where foreigners prop up a large % of the economy yet still have to jump through visa hoops every 90 days even supporting a family, he probably wouldn't think too much about it.

11 years of worrying about being caught must have been hellish.

People have posted over and over that after decades here, they were never required to show the visa page of their passport to anyone. The idea that you'd be always looking over your shoulder literally only exists on Thaivisa.

Well I have no idea what you are on about regarding my post. But never mind. But okay one by one:

Posting his experience so that "others clear up their overstays before it is too late" is stretching it a bit. He should not have had an overstay in the first place and one for 11 years is a bit much.

As for your second paragraph, you seem to be suggesting that his 11 year overstay should be permissible given the points you listed. That is beyond ridiculous. If one chooses to live or reside in a country which as you say does not offer a foreigner any rights, employment, benefits, land ownership, yet props up a percentage of that country's economy then that is that person's choice and in no way gives that person any further rights or abilities beyond what is stated in the country's book of rules. Now whether or not those rules should be changed to reflect all the 'good' that foreigners bring into the mix is another question all together.

As far as "jumping through hoops" is concerned... do you know what someone has to do in the UK as an American? I do, and it cost me 2 years of applications and waiting and a good deal of money (in fees alone) just to be told that I had to take and pass the "Being British Test" before I could get that Indefinite Leave to Remain visa.

One more thing, I would have thought that it was difficult for him to have lived in Thai for those 11 years of his overstay without worrying about being found out and so you are not going make me believe that he, as a normal person, would not have felt some trepidation when moving about.

Thailand knows better how to run Thailand than you do, however. And, they disagreed with you - obviously. So, stop disrespecting Thai immigration authorities. If you don't like it here, you can leave.

indeed you can.

you can pay your fine, leave and return as long as you do it by the specified deadlines.

i find it amusing that many here seem for more concerned and offended by over stayers than the thai authorities.

the policy was clear, as is the new policy.

jobsworth's without the jobs.

• Like 2

That is funny, overstays did not "anger" authorities for decades before. Actually, it was a quite nice way of earn extra money for them at the borders. Some old dude out there in some Isaan village, living a quiet life, is certainly not angering anybody. He has gone truly native, regardless of his overstay.

you interviewed the senior immigration officials? mind sharing the transcript?

you interviewed the senior immigration officials? mind sharing the transcript?

You wrote: "by angering the authorities and causing immigration officials to be overzealous out of fear of losing their jobs"

You interviewed the senior immigration officials?

didnt have to, they told us how angry they were in the statements about the crackdown

Having been in trouble with my own immigration status in another country for overstaying more than a year (because of the fault of others), I don't want to judge. I applaud your actions in fixing your own situation and further, I respect your courage in posting it here. It's nobody's business what was the story behind the overstay unless you want to tell it.

I can't wait to read about those overstayers after the crackdown, who didn't sort out their immigration status for whatever reason.... Outstanding warrants of arrest here or back home, lack of funds, apathy... It's going to make interesting banter for some time.

I'm surprised that this discussion is still going but not surprised at some of the comments saying that this guy should get more trouble. Like I said before, I don't understand why people want him banned for life or other bad punishment. The Thai government makes its own laws and decides how or when to use them. They know what the guy did and they decided what to do about. It's that easy.

If the the people who have a lot of bad thing to say about the guy and don't agree with the way immigration took care of it really believe what they say here, they should take some time to tell the immigration people how to do their job the next time they're in the immigration office. I'm sure that would make then very happy. They will probably want to buy you lunch so that you can tell the Thai people how to run their country. People always like foreigners telling them how how to do that.

I'm surprised that this discussion is still going but not surprised at some of the comments saying that this guy should get more trouble. Like I said before, I don't understand why people want him banned for life or other bad punishment. The Thai government makes its own laws and decides how or when to use them. They know what the guy did and they decided what to do about. It's that easy.

If the the people who have a lot of bad thing to say about the guy and don't agree with the way immigration took care of it really believe what they say here, they should take some time to tell the immigration people how to do their job the next time they're in the immigration office. I'm sure that would make then very happy. They will probably want to buy you lunch so that you can tell the Thai people how to run their country. People always like foreigners telling them how how to do that.

do you ever have opinions on thai government actions?

I removed my reply because the question wasn't appropriate.

Edited by waynethor

How could they earn money from it? People that have overstayed for years like this one, and then pay 20k at the border or airport. They would have payed a lot more if they had payed for visas for all those years.

• Like 1

its okay, i already copied it to file

its okay, i already copied it to file

That's nice. good for youclap2.gif It still doesn't make the question appropriate.

Edited by waynethor
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Short update. Got double entry tourist visa at Vientiane consulate and was admitted again back in. No questions either by embassy or I/O on arrival.This post is principally directed to those who are still overstaying, there is still a chance to get it cleared and re-enter. Again this is not gloating in any way but to let those who might be worried about clearing their situation that it is still possible.

• Like 2

I thought humorous you explained the reason for your 11 year overstay. Really no valid reason.

Everyone has different reasons.

I am jumping through high hoops to remain legal with work permit for extension of stay including going back to school to get degree in education when already has master's degree in engineering.

But I like to travel and leave at least twice a year. My style.

Glad you cleared your overstay.

Not sure if allowed to ask-

Do you plan on staying legal?

Curious how many foreign criminals are hiding here. After seeing some of the foreigners in Pattaya, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai my hunch it is in the thousands. Would not break my heart to see that entire lot black listed and jailed. A lot of very scary, dodgy, alcoholic, sex tourists here. Thailand would be a far better place without them. Add the Gap year, FMP idiots to the list.

• Like 1

Curious how many foreign criminals are hiding here. After seeing some of the foreigners in Pattaya, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai my hunch it is in the thousands. Would not break my heart to see that entire lot black listed and jailed. A lot of very scary, dodgy, alcoholic, sex tourists here. Thailand would be a far better place without them. Add the Gap year, FMP idiots to the list.

Thailand would not be the same place without them. We're all here for the lifestyle a cheap developing country offers, part and parcel of that is cheap booze and sex even if you don't partake in it. Can't have a squeaky clean, efficient Germany style country with no unsavoury people that's also cheap to live in.

Edited by jspill

Did any of these people harm you in any way? I still feel very safe in Bangkok.

Thailand has zero tolerance for Foreigners who were convicted of a crime here or back in their home country. If you know of any criminal point them out to Immigration. If not keep your thoughts for yourself.

Short update. Got double entry tourist visa at Vientiane consulate and was admitted again back in. No questions either by embassy or I/O on arrival.This post is principally directed to those who are still overstaying, there is still a chance to get it cleared and re-enter. Again this is not gloating in any way but to let those who might be worried about clearing their situation that it is still possible.

Glad to hear you are well on the way to sorting things out. Hope things all work out for you.

• Like 1