Cleared 11 year overstay

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think the Thai people and authorities have opinions about the foreigners living here that nothing will change. Some will always hate us, some will always like us and some don't care if we are here. When our actions don't have a real effect on them, they won't care if somebody overstays their welcome. And if you do everything within Thai laws, how can it matter what other expats or foreigners do? maybe their bad actions even make you look better for being good and doing everything the Thai government tells you to do.

nonsense. people always judge all by the actions of the few

We can disagree. I think to say that all people will be any way in any situation must be wrong but I will not make more comments.

I read in this forum before i signed up to ask 1 question and I could see that many people love only to insult and make bad remarks here. I said to myself that I would not post comments here because almost all topics here turn into just silly remarks and nasty behaviour. So i guess I should thank you for reminding me to only get information here. It seems there are very many angry people on this forum who need reactions from other people. It's strange.

What the Hell are you talking about?

That because someone disagreed with you, you have then taken offense to this?

Maybe grow tougher skin before you replied to him first.

AYJAYDEE does say a lot of really mean things to people, actually.

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think the Thai people and authorities have opinions about the foreigners living here that nothing will change. Some will always hate us, some will always like us and some don't care if we are here. When our actions don't have a real effect on them, they won't care if somebody overstays their welcome. And if you do everything within Thai laws, how can it matter what other expats or foreigners do? maybe their bad actions even make you look better for being good and doing everything the Thai government tells you to do.

nonsense. people always judge all by the actions of the few

We can disagree. I think to say that all people will be any way in any situation must be wrong but I will not make more comments.

I read in this forum before i signed up to ask 1 question and I could see that many people love only to insult and make bad remarks here. I said to myself that I would not post comments here because almost all topics here turn into just silly remarks and nasty behaviour. So i guess I should thank you for reminding me to only get information here. It seems there are very many angry people on this forum who need reactions from other people. It's strange.

What the Hell are you talking about?

That because someone disagreed with you, you have then taken offense to this?

Maybe grow tougher skin before you replied to him first.

AYJAYDEE does say a lot of really mean things to people, actually.

Well i won't do the pat on the back thing to the OP and others almost boasting that they have overstayed to the extreme. Wish you would have got your just deserts and been banned for life. We are all guests in this very accommodating country and far too many flaunt it. Fact is you, the op may have been alerted to you window of opportunity by this very forum. I hope many like you run out of time and be shown the exit one way door

11 years for 20,000 baht, at 1818 baht per year you even got a better deal than the retirement extension folks alt=clap2.gif>

Are you forgetting something here ?

He had to remain permanently in the oven without a break for 11 years with nothing to do except drink alcohol and talk silly rubbish to unintelligent, uninterest-ing/ed tarts and things sitting in bars.

What a waste of 11 years, cheap yes, but what a waste of a life ! alt=bah.gif>

Agree, wasting 11 years of your life to save a couple of thousend dollars. You have to be desperate or insane to do it.........

Me thinks he had fun doing it!

Do you regret the last 11 years of you life wasted working for the Man 9 to 5 and only a foot ahead of last year? Perhaps now facing a Divorce which will take the other 50% of your life and hard work anyway?

Maybe you should?

Well i won't do the pat on the back thing to the OP and others almost boasting that they have overstayed to the extreme. Wish you would have got your just deserts and been banned for life. We are all guests in this very accommodating country and far too many flaunt it. Fact is you, the op may have been alerted to you window of opportunity by this very forum. I hope many like you run out of time and be shown the exit one way door

So basically, you're saying that you don't respect Thai immigration. How rude you are, to say you know better how to run Thailand.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

Frankly I would have kept all of it to myself.

He would've kept it to himself, but he posted it in the light of the recent crackdown to encourage others to clear their overstay safely before it's too late.

Think what you would think if someone did it in your own.

If he lived in a developing country that gives foreigners no rights, benefits, employment capacity, healthcare, land ownership or automatic citizenship, where foreigners prop up a large % of the economy yet still have to jump through visa hoops every 90 days even supporting a family, he probably wouldn't think too much about it.

11 years of worrying about being caught must have been hellish.

People have posted over and over that after decades here, they were never required to show the visa page of their passport to anyone. The idea that you'd be always looking over your shoulder literally only exists on Thaivisa.

Well I have no idea what you are on about regarding my post. But never mind. But okay one by one:

Posting his experience so that "others clear up their overstays before it is too late" is stretching it a bit. He should not have had an overstay in the first place and one for 11 years is a bit much.

As for your second paragraph, you seem to be suggesting that his 11 year overstay should be permissible given the points you listed. That is beyond ridiculous. If one chooses to live or reside in a country which as you say does not offer a foreigner any rights, employment, benefits, land ownership, yet props up a percentage of that country's economy then that is that person's choice and in no way gives that person any further rights or abilities beyond what is stated in the country's book of rules. Now whether or not those rules should be changed to reflect all the 'good' that foreigners bring into the mix is another question all together.

As far as "jumping through hoops" is concerned... do you know what someone has to do in the UK as an American? I do, and it cost me 2 years of applications and waiting and a good deal of money (in fees alone) just to be told that I had to take and pass the "Being British Test" before I could get that Indefinite Leave to Remain visa.

One more thing, I would have thought that it was difficult for him to have lived in Thai for those 11 years of his overstay without worrying about being found out and so you are not going make me believe that he, as a normal person, would not have felt some trepidation when moving about.

If I ever was in that situation I would rush to My Embassy for help! I wouldn't expect any, but once inside the doors this would be my home until they got me home.

After all,as a previous Tax Payer, I paid for that place.

I think you will find that your'e very wrong in believing that your embassy is "your home". So your President is your uncle, etc. ?

Nope!

Any Embassy on anyone's soil belongs to that country.

Like I do!

He would've kept it to himself, but he posted it in the light of the recent crackdown to encourage others to clear their overstay safely before it's too late.

If he lived in a developing country that gives foreigners no rights, benefits, employment capacity, healthcare, land ownership or automatic citizenship, where foreigners prop up a large % of the economy yet still have to jump through visa hoops every 90 days even supporting a family, he probably wouldn't think too much about it.

People have posted over and over that after decades here, they were never required to show the visa page of their passport to anyone. The idea that you'd be always looking over your shoulder literally only exists on Thaivisa.

Well I have no idea what you are on about regarding my post. But never mind. But okay one by one:

Posting his experience so that "others clear up their overstays before it is too late" is stretching it a bit. He should not have had an overstay in the first place and one for 11 years is a bit much.

As for your second paragraph, you seem to be suggesting that his 11 year overstay should be permissible given the points you listed. That is beyond ridiculous. If one chooses to live or reside in a country which as you say does not offer a foreigner any rights, employment, benefits, land ownership, yet props up a percentage of that country's economy then that is that person's choice and in no way gives that person any further rights or abilities beyond what is stated in the country's book of rules. Now whether or not those rules should be changed to reflect all the 'good' that foreigners bring into the mix is another question all together.

As far as "jumping through hoops" is concerned... do you know what someone has to do in the UK as an American? I do, and it cost me 2 years of applications and waiting and a good deal of money (in fees alone) just to be told that I had to take and pass the "Being British Test" before I could get that Indefinite Leave to Remain visa.

One more thing, I would have thought that it was difficult for him to have lived in Thai for those 11 years of his overstay without worrying about being found out and so you are not going make me believe that he, as a normal person, would not have felt some trepidation when moving about.

Thailand knows better how to run Thailand than you do, however. And, they disagreed with you - obviously. So, stop disrespecting Thai immigration authorities. If you don't like it here, you can leave.

• Like 1

Well you're being honest sorry.gif and want to follow the Visa rules for Thailand now, thats commendable. clap2.gif But how many more cases as such will convince Thai immigrations to tighten the noose even tighter with such disregard for there laws? post-4641-1156693976.gif I'am sure there are going to be stiffer penalties, expulsions and tighter control of all expats who wish and continue to make Thailand their home. Time will tell.

Edited by Holiday Kojak

think what you would think if someone did it in your own.

I couldn't care less if someone lives illegally in the U.S. And, in the U.S. people are eventually given an opportunity to become real citizens. And I say good for them, too!

I agree with you. But you cannot get away from the fact that those in a country without the correct visa can be a burden upon said country. We see it here in the US and across the EU quite clearly. Whether or not you " care less" is neither here nor there and is just your opinion. Fare enough. But that does not mean that every country acts or behaves like the US where immigration or visitation are concerned. The bottom line is that there are rules and regulations (right or wrong in our own eyes) that exist and so have to be followed if one wants to abide by the laws of that country... just as we would want other 'visitors' in our own countries to do.

Just keep you execution impeccable - 11 years overstay, 1 post count, that can be sort of a TV record.

There are a lot of guys who just sit back and relax here. The guy I knew who cleared his 10 year overstay has been in Thailand since the 1960s. He's in his mid 80s and virtually never leaves home. He wouldn't have even bothered with clearing his overstay had not his bank refused to give him a new bank book unless he had a valid visa. He has some ancient bank account where he only gets his social security routed through to a Thai bank and can only withdraw it with a bank book. He uses the book once a month. This new book will probably last him the rest of his life. So, he may go back on overstay.

Yah! Exactly the kind of Hardened Criminal and Riff Raft we want to get out of this country with this Crack Down.

Imagine the Crime!

Some Old Foggy just sitting back and relaxing when he comes here, and not worrying about his next Visa and Report Period, and yet still trying to take his money out of his Bank Account without a Proper Visa. So he could be spending it here Illegally, because he Overstayed.

I hope they find 20,000 more just like him in Pattaya, so they can take away there Condos, and put it up for sale, so when the housing market crashes, and no investor wants to invest anymore, I can find much cheaper place to buy or rent. There is already too many places for sale but still very overpriced here. .

Please remember and use the irony button before a lot of replies go right off the edge.

Thanks!

I couldn't care less if someone lives illegally in the U.S. And, in the U.S. people are eventually given an opportunity to become real citizens. And I say good for them, too!

I agree with you. But you cannot get away from the fact that those in a country without the correct visa can be a burden upon said country. We see it here in the US and across the EU quite clearly. Whether or not you " care less" is neither here nor there and is just your opinion. Fare enough. But that does not mean that every country acts or behaves like the US where immigration or visitation are concerned. The bottom line is that there are rules and regulations (right or wrong in our own eyes) that exist and so have to be followed if one wants to abide by the laws of that country... just as we would want other 'visitors' in our own countries to do.

I'm sorry, I just think you're forgetting something very important about this. Thai AUTHORITIES told the man he was fine, and could re-enter. Even after an 11 year overstay. You are actually the one disagreeing with Thai authorities. Think about that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is the reality. You are saying you know better than the Thai people.

• Like 1

If one chooses to live or reside in a country which as you say does not offer a foreigner any rights, employment, benefits, land ownership, yet props up a percentage of that country's economy then that is that person's choice and in no way gives that person any further rights or abilities beyond what is stated in the country's book of rules.

It means no one should find overstaying reprehensible.

I'm familiar with that test, friends in London passed it easily. I'd love to take a 'being Thai' equivalent in return for indefinite leave to remain, high income employment, free healthcare etc. you know the list by now.

I would have thought that it was difficult for him to have lived in Thai for those 11 years of his overstay without worrying about being found out and so you are not going make me believe that he, as a normal person, would not have felt some trepidation when moving about.

The guy who overstayed 37 years felt no trepidation, it was posted in one of these threads.

Edited by jspill
  • Like 1

Thailand knows better how to run Thailand than you do, however. And, they disagreed with you - obviously. So, stop disrespecting Thai immigration authorities. If you don't like it here, you can leave.

You are right. Thailand is better at running Thailand that anyone else. But to suggest that I was saying otherwise is nonsense! I have never disrespected Thailand immigration authorities nor do I find that the new rules are in anyway beyond the real scope regarding the laws that have been on the books for quite sometime now or the new ones that are now coming online. So perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying as a follow up of your post. For I was referring to what you had said, which I found to be more you "disagreeing with" and your "disrespecting" of Thai immigration. So if "you don't like it here", well, maybe you should take a closer look at what I wrote and your own position within the regulations as they stand at the moment in LOS. Enough said.

• Like 1

You are right. Thailand is better at running Thailand that anyone else. But to suggest that I was saying otherwise is nonsense! I have never disrespected Thailand immigration authorities nor do I find that the new rules are in anyway beyond the real scope regarding the laws that have been on the books for quite sometime now or the new ones that are now coming online. So perhaps you misunderstood what I was saying as a follow up of your post. For I was referring to what you had said, which I found to be more you "disagreeing with" and your "disrespecting" of Thai immigration. So if "you don't like it here", well, maybe you should take a closer look at what I wrote and your own position within the regulations as they stand at the moment in LOS. Enough said.

Look, I'm just being a little sarcastic about it. A lot of people here completely freak out about it, and I think they're hysterical about it, honestly. You're not totally irrational to that extent, I realize. I love Thailand, dearly. I just honestly wish people were much more concerned about the real problems here - like crushing poverty for example.

Edited by John1thru10
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, I just think you're forgetting something very important about this. Thai AUTHORITIES told the man he was fine, and could re-enter. Even after an 11 year overstay. You are actually the one disagreeing with Thai authorities. Think about that. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but this is the reality. You are saying you know better than the Thai people.

Where on Earth did you get that from!? But to be fare, we all know that it depends upon who one talks to at immigration and even what office you go to. One can get different responses from different people and there is no guarantee that the answer one person gives you will be the same that somebody else will give you even within the same office on the same day or even an hour later. This seems to have been the case here with this guy. But this is more the fault of the system as it is up to the "discretion" of the individual immigration officer at the time.. Furthermore, I never said that it was a bad thing that they said he could come back in. But I do think that an 11 year overstay is enough to warrant the implantation of the 'new rules'. I mean... come on an 11 year overstay?! How in God's name did he manage that! Now, whether or not they impose them is up to the authorities though I am not suggesting that they be levied as it is not in my place to do so as I am not a member of Thai immigration nor do we know the entire story I am sure. But again, an 11 year overstay is a bit much. 1 or 2 or even 3 year overstays I can sort of understand (especially if they do not own a calender on which to mark their required departure date on), but 11 years I feel needs questioning. For that is certainly an abuse of the Thai system as well as a neglect of respect.

For the record, I do not know "better than the Thai people". Frankly I am still trying, after 3 years on the proper visas, to figure it all out. But I do all I can to respect the customs and the rules as best as I can and am being expected to by the country in which I am a guest.

uummmmm how does this work as a passport is only valid for 10 years? Did you get a new one sent to thailand with on overstay on it already?

Should have been a better troll post this, i'd have gone for 9 years and 7 months.

I sent for new passport and the stamps were transferred at Suvarnabhumi. It was not a concern of the passport issuing authority.

My Passport was full with stamps and Visa stickers, got a Emergency Passport at my Embassy in Bangkok,

for some month valid, now running out of date.

I will in next days apply for a new Emergency Passport, make a "Normal" Passport next year in my country.

The Passport comes from my authorities empty in my hands, they only check, if I qualify for a Passport, they check that with the old Passport or some other documents I can provide, Driving license, ect, or use the Internet to check my Identity.

All that has nothing to do, with a possible Overstay in TH.

They could also not easy check that, if I report my Passport as missing or stolen, cannot show my old Passport.

• Like 1

Where on Earth did you get that from!? But to be fare, we all know that it depends upon who one talks to at immigration and even what office you go to. One can get different responses from different people and there is no guarantee that the answer one person gives you will be the same that somebody else will give you even within the same office on the same day or even an hour later. This seems to have been the case here with this guy. But this is more the fault of the system as it is up to the "discretion" of the individual immigration officer at the time.. Furthermore, I never said that it was a bad thing that they said he could come back in. But I do think that an 11 year overstay is enough to warrant the implantation of the 'new rules'. I mean... come on an 11 year overstay?! How in God's name did he manage that! Now, whether or not they impose them is up to the authorities though I am not suggesting that they be levied as it is not in my place to do so as I am not a member of Thai immigration nor do we know the entire story I am sure. But again, an 11 year overstay is a bit much. 1 or 2 or even 3 year overstays I can sort of understand (especially if they do not own a calender on which to mark their required departure date on), but 11 years I feel needs questioning. For that is certainly an abuse of the Thai system as well as a neglect of respect.

For the record, I do not know "better than the Thai people". Frankly I am still trying, after 3 years on the proper visas, to figure it all out. But I do all I can to respect the customs and the rules as best as I can and am being expected to by the country in which I am a guest.

ps - I recognize an 11 year overstay is pretty ridiculous. I'm sorry we've started arguing here. My problem is not really with you. I've been reading people write some pretty darn extreme things here this month, and it upsets me. Unfortunately you and I have started arguing a little, and we don't really disagree with each other all that much. I wish you a good evening smile.png

Edited by John1thru10

Look, I'm just being a little sarcastic about it. A lot of people here completely freak out about it, and I think they're hysterical about it, honestly. You're not totally irrational to that extent, I realize. I love Thailand, dearly. I just honestly wish people were much more concerned about the real problems here - like crushing poverty for example. Like rampant prostitution and lack of education. i NEVER see those things being addressed.

There are a great many things that Thailand is having to face on a daily basis and you are right on that score. The panic here in TV regarding the 'new' immigration rules is palpable. The trouble is in my opinion is that we are still working from the POV of what was the norm and now that the norm has changed we are trying to figure out exactly where we stand within the new system we have to follow. The rules are not really as clear as they could be and that is a Western POV for sure. But that does not make it any less important for the authorities to address, if they wish to maintain the tourist trade and the funds that travelers to Thailand bring in. Now, I am NOT suggesting that Thailand owes us travelers anything. As a matter of fact we owe them to follow the rules they set out. But there is something to be said for clarification and for the consistent application of said regulations.

I could not agree with you more about the sex trade issues not being addressed. Certainly they are not here in TV for the most part. But perhaps that is because the media has quantified Thailand as a place where the sex trade and sex tourism is rampant. The fact is that there is nothing found in Thailand cannot be found in Vegas, Berlin, Holland, London, Paris or New York. Okay it might take a bit more looking and the cost will be far more, but the fact remains that Thailand has a bad reputation (thanks Hangover 2... just 1 example). The poverty is just as much an issue. But that is being overshadowed by the state of Burma's poverty level and the global interest that has been levied upon them. For they are the focus right now. So why worry about Thailand is their POV.

So I am with you. There should be more talked about and addressed herein than the worry about visas and slipping through the cracks with an 11 year overstay that no one should have had in the first place.

ps - I recognize an 11 year overstay is pretty ridiculous. I'm sorry we've started arguing here. My problem is not really with you. I've been reading people write some pretty darn extreme things here this month, and it upsets me. Unfortunately you and I have started arguing a little, and we don't really disagree with each other all that much. I wish you a good evening smile.png

No one is arguing here! Certainly not you and I. Actually I liked having to think again like a Farang... LOL! No disrespect to anyone. I agree that there has been some really "extreme" things being written here in TV, especially on this subject. But such is the nature of things I guess. But it is good to have discussions. So there was never any arguing. I liked what you said and also do not think that we are totally off from one another. So sleep well and I look forward to reading more posts from you in the future. You can always IM me here.

• Like 1

Syria ... Gaza ... a plane shot down over Ukraine ... Boko Haram ... corruption, neglect and venality in Thai society ........ ...

If some of you guys get hysterically upset over a guy with an overstay and you won't stop bickering, then your life's priorities need sorting out.

But none of these are done by a guy of approximately same age, ethnic and cultural background, and same preference for living in Thailand. Plus, he exposed himself for public flagellation on a forum. Too good to pass on !

Edited by paz

I was at Immigration today doing a 90 day. Everyone reporting had to sign a book indicating that they read and understand the new rules for Overstays. I don't think you'll be clearing them much longer.

Edited by connda

Not angry just sad that you treated the law here with such contempt. IMO you should have been blacklisted for at least another 11 years.

Why do you feel that way? I don't understand why there are so many people at this forum angry at other people who take chances with the laws. If the person (op) was in the country for 11 years with no trouble, I think he hasn't made problems for anybody or broke laws, so how did he do harm to you? Please don't say it is because he makes all western foreigners look bad because I am sure Thai population doesn't care if he breaks that law. The Thai population is probably happy that he was here spending his money for the 11 years.

It's people like him that caused the crackdown.

How do you feel about that?

If you're legit, you should have nothing to worry.

Or you preferred leniency to continue ?

Decide, it can't be both.

• Like 1

IMO it took guts to own-up to the overstay the way you did -- I'd have thought for 11 years they'd throw you in the lockup.

I probably would have come up with some way to exit the country under the radar.

And then you not only had the brass to try to re-enter the country, but they allowed you in! Bravo!

I think you should make a visit to a nearby country and get yourself a clean, new passport.

For those who are so put-off at the terrible terrible thing the OP did, well, if Thailand thought what he did was so egregious then they would have punished him more severely, no?

• Like 2

That comment probably sounded good in your head - work it out yourself.

That comment probably sounded good in your head - work it out yourself.

Thanks for confirming!

Speculation. The military is arresting Thais left right and centre and cracking down on pretty much everything from unmetered taxis to reading Orwell in public. They publicly stated they want Thailand to become 'more Thai' and blamed civil unrest on the 'influence of Western movies'. I could speculate that they'd have added blacklisting laws even if not a single foreigner had ever overstayed.

Edit: made my post more objective as it's prohibited to criticize the junta.

Edited by jspill