One dead, two badly hurt in meth-fueled Phuket rampage

webfact

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

... and still there are people on here who suggest that there is nothing wrong with "soft" drug usage.

Such soft drugs usage can easily lead addicts to more potent alternatives, ultimately ending in incidents like this.

I firmly believe that all "recreational" drugs, and more dangerous alternatives should remain banned and pushers jailed for long periods for supplying such dangerous substances...!

Nothing soft about Meth

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Glad to see Thai police are starting to use less-than lethal devices and techniques. I can't say I have ever seen a Thai policeman carrying a stun gun. "Grabbing" at a man waving a meat clever, who has just killed or tried to kill two people, is not a wise course of action. The officers are very lucky not to have sustained major injuries themselves. In America he would most likely have been shot. Surprisingly, Thai police are very gun shy for some reason.

RIP Mr Chalermpol, and I hope Ms. Rariya makes a full recovery.

I don't know if it was a myth/joke or not but they were supposed to have to pay for their own bullets , which is why there were gun shy, funny either way

Yes I drink but not to much anymore as getting old. I agree most drug taking does normally happen at parties where alcohol is available. The venture I had in life was drinking alcohol at maybe 13 so you are correct on that point. I can also see the point made someone high on weed will be mellow and do no harm but some one drunk will fight and use a knife. But alcohol weed can be controlled by some to others its the start to a life long problem.

That is the whole point.. in general give me alcohol and i get tired and fall asleep.. but some people get violent and aggressive. Same goes for almost anything there are always people responding badly to drugs. 

I never stated drugs (alcohol included) are not harmful, i believe they are but alcohol is underestimated and if you read the research posted in this form you will open your eyes. It did mine.. i always believed steroids to be quite harmful, now i see them as less harmful as weed. Though I still believe that really high doses are harmful. 

But I do believe this study as a lot of it rings true. Anyway do we have to ban everything because some people can't handle it ? On the other hand do you want to have people who can't handle it use them. Nice discussing freedom vs risk ect.

I don't think i got the awnser but I do think the hate against drugs is crazy as they are not as bad as they look compared to alcohol. Personally I did xtc in the past (but stopped when it influenced work) and know many people who did all had good lives and work next to it. Weed almost everyone tried it and held jobs next to it.. only a real small percentage could not handle it. Same goes for alcohol, not everyone turns into an alcoholic. 

But yes you read here often about meth killings but often I also read about killings that happen without anything.  The stuff would not be my choice for long term use .

... and still there are people on here who suggest that there is nothing wrong with "soft" drug usage.

Such soft drugs usage can easily lead addicts to more potent alternatives, ultimately ending in incidents like this.

I firmly believe that all "recreational" drugs, and more dangerous alternatives should remain banned and pushers jailed for long periods for supplying such dangerous substances...!

Lets start with alcohol as its a hard drug and has caused its fair share of deaths by fighting.

Guess you wont like that as its your drug. Weed is far less damaging.

Weed causes paranoia, if you can live with that, and upset those around you, go for it.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested Crystal Meth is a soft drug ?

Lets start with alcohol as its a hard drug and has caused its fair share of deaths by fighting.

Weed causes paranoia, if you can live with that, and upset those around you, go for it.

Can cause in certain individuals .. If i need to list all the things that alcohol can do I might clog the server with data. But google korsakoff id take paranoia every day.

... the world would be a better place without any of them...!

Reality check, the world has all these substances. Wishing that it didn't will not change the facts thus is a waste of words. 

But when people talk about drugs and the harm they do is not a waste of words. I am no holy Joe but I have seen what drugs do to people and there is always a payback. Taking recreational drugs is FUN but after a while the fun becomes a nightmare I have seen many people badly effected but mentally and socially. But the social fabric of Thailand is been ruined by Yaba when you live in a farang area it might not be apparently obvious but in the sticks its rampant all the kids are using its like having a beer to them. Maybe our friends in the military will do some thing against this disease as it is only people like them that have the power to fight these people. I think way more important than illegal taxis or buildings etc. so keep talking maybe someone will listen.

true, but the people smoked weed for thousands of years prior to the chemically altered crap round these days.remember the land of smiles? Cambodians still do

• Like 1

LOL! Really?

Are you suggesting Meth (ice) is a soft drug ??. I have never done any drugs except booze ( and yes that causes great problems for many) . Point is I knew a youngish bloke that prety much had been on everything. He is now drinking very heavily in an attempt to get off meth. He said it is the worst most addictive drug he has ever been on .

Impressed that the police were calm enough to use a stun gun to control situation. Not wish is fuel current issues in the USA....
But do the police there have stun guns at their disposal.
Australia had a period of a LOT of deaths by police attempting to arrest and yet there was great debate about stun gun usage. I don't get if.

Sorry about multiple posts. At this very minute watching an Australian tv show, 60 minutes.
Anyway two time world surfing world champ, now 51. Tom Carrol. Confesses he is hooked on Meth. Life is out of control.
Thats not what I call a soft drug.

This incident could easily have happened if they were drinking ethanol. Would you then call for the banning of ethanol, like back in the days of 1920 to 1933?

Mathamphetamine is not a "soft" drug. Stating so shows ignorance and discredits you in any debate on the topic of drugs.

Though ethanol could be considered a "hard" drug based on the extreme effects it can have on one's body and mind and on society.

I don't think anybody has said that "there is nothing wrong with "soft" drug usage", but instead that there are fewer problems with soft drugs like cannabis, MDMA and psilocybin mushrooms. If they were made legally available as alternatives to more harmful drugs like ethanol and methamphetamine then incidents like this may occur less frequently.

I assume that you are aware that Ethanol is in fact the alcohol component of all alcoholic beverages.

Ban everything since anything in excess could cause a problem.  Too much sugar causes kids to become hyperactive, too much alcohol and what have you, too much good food and what have you..poor health and obesity, too much sex........., too much soda pop, too much TV, too many video games, too much internet, too much talking, too much sleeping, too much working...Just friggin ban everything since people are no longer taking full responsibility for their crazy actions.  

• Like 1

To those of you stating that I suggested that methamphetamine is a soft drug, I made no such statement ... so please read my post again...!

I suggested that most "users" start with "soft" or "recreational" drugs and ultimately lead on to more dangerous alternatives leading to incidents such as we have seen here.

You may wish to offer reasons for your personal decision to do drugs, but you will not change my attitude towards the use of any drugs for non-essential purposes ... the world would be a better place without any of them...!

You (and others here) need to distinguish between association and causation. Just because meth users are more likely that average to have used marijuana before (let's assume this is the case for the sake of argument), does not mean that use of marijuana leads to the use of meth, which is what terms like 'gateway drug' suggest. For example, it's also probably the case that hard drug users are more likely to have tattoos than the average person, but this does not mean that getting a tattoo is a 'gateway' to using hard drugs any more than me getting a tattoo will turn me into a skilled guitar player.

• Like 2

GeorgeO .... r u on downers?

Crystal Meth is not a soft drug , speed drugs of all Amphetamine type are well know to cause Paranoia & psychotic reactions . Please stop  putting , what you are calling a soft drug , into a category that contains something you do not take for recreational purposes like pot ! People who take amphetamines , take it to stay awake & keep going on without sleeping for days on end! This leads them to paranoia & behavior like this guy exhibited.

Just keep in mind , using a drug even prescription ones , can fall into the category of ABUSE ! 

Or do you think Alcohol should be put back into illegal days of the USA's Prohibition era too ?

The only way to Control Drugs , are to educate , legalize , decriminalize & take the money out of the Pushers hands.

If criminals can't make money off of them , they might have to go find a real job....if not , then lock them up , if they remain bent on committing criminal acts against society !

[attachment=279367:1_good_joint.jpg]

• Like 2

To those of you stating that I suggested that methamphetamine is a soft drug, I made no such statement ... so please read my post again...!

I suggested that most "users" start with "soft" or "recreational" drugs and ultimately lead on to more dangerous alternatives leading to incidents such as we have seen here.

You may wish to offer reasons for your personal decision to do drugs, but you will not change my attitude towards the use of any drugs for non-essential purposes ... the world would be a better place without any of them...!

Your post seemed to suggest that you think methamphetamine is a soft drug simply because there was no mention of soft drugs anywhere in the thread before you introduced it. I think many readers, myself included, read into your statement that you thought meth was a soft drug. However, as you have been told, that is not the case. It is a horrible drug that is far worse than many of the so called hard drugs most people are familiar with.

Actually I nearly agree with GeorgeO... ILLEGAL soft drugs do sometimes lead to usage of harder drugs. However the reason for some ending up going onto harder drugs is because they question the sense of harder drug Laws due to the non-sense of soft drug Laws. In other words, the "Gateway Drugs" are "Gateway Drugs" because they are illegal - if they weren't fewer people would question the sense of the Laws on harder drugs.

Also, dealers may offer a number of different drugs, e.g. cannabis, MDMA, methamphetamine, cocaine. Some cannabis consumers who use such dealers may then consider trying methamphetamine and cocaine due to ready availability. If cannabis was legally available e.g. from shops, whereas other more harmful drugs were not, then there would be no such "gateway" from cannabis to harder drugs.

"GATEWAY DRUG " such innovative crap on here.

It's been my experience that weed "dealers" only sell weed and people who enjoy cannabis tend not to want anything to do with meth or hard drug users. The biggest gateway drug in my opinion is alcohol.

This incident could easily have happened if they were drinking ethanol. Would you then call for the banning of ethanol, like back in the days of 1920 to 1933?

Mathamphetamine is not a "soft" drug. Stating so shows ignorance and discredits you in any debate on the topic of drugs.

Though ethanol could be considered a "hard" drug based on the extreme effects it can have on one's body and mind and on society.

I don't think anybody has said that "there is nothing wrong with "soft" drug usage", but instead that there are fewer problems with soft drugs like cannabis, MDMA and psilocybin mushrooms. If they were made legally available as alternatives to more harmful drugs like ethanol and methamphetamine then incidents like this may occur less frequently.

I assume that you are aware that Ethanol is in fact the alcohol component of all alcoholic beverages.

Brilliant! facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gifclap2.gif

In the early 2000, the PM(now in exile) successfully eradicated drugs in Thailand. With his downfall drugs started making a comeback.

He also got rid of a lot of enemies. I don't think anyone would condone a shoot to kill policy even on drug dealers. Give them their day in court and if found guilty than eradicate them as you would with a rabid dog.

Most of the Yaba comes in from Thailand's neighbor Burma and it protect by the military  junta there. So you won't be stopping that too fast. I read a book not too long ago called" the hunt for Khun Sa" about a Burmese drug lord who was funded and backed by the CIA during the Vietnam war. It would surprise you what goes on with governments. Sorry I digress .

Stupid!!! Meth are not a soft drug!!! And alcohol is harder than pott.

How you can compare this. It's like you compare sex with a woman or SEX with a DONKEY!!! Sure for some People it don't make a different!!!