One dead, two badly hurt in meth-fueled Phuket rampage

webfact

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

... and still there are people on here who suggest that there is nothing wrong with "soft" drug usage.

Such soft drugs usage can easily lead addicts to more potent alternatives, ultimately ending in incidents like this.

I firmly believe that all "recreational" drugs, and more dangerous alternatives should remain banned and pushers jailed for long periods for supplying such dangerous substances...!

Meth isn't a soft drug.  Not many people advocating legalising that stuff.

Read the whole post before replying, geret.

Actually I nearly agree with GeorgeO... ILLEGAL soft drugs do sometimes lead to usage of harder drugs. However the reason for some ending up going onto harder drugs is because they question the sense of harder drug Laws due to the non-sense of soft drug Laws. In other words, the "Gateway Drugs" are "Gateway Drugs" because they are illegal - if they weren't fewer people would question the sense of the Laws on harder drugs.

Aside from review of drug Laws, the other option is to keep trying this "War on Drugs" business. Personally I cannot see a good outcome to the "War on Drugs" but if anyone wants to make an intelligent & candid statement to support its continuance, I'm all ears.

Why the hell are you all ya king about what drugs are good or not good, a tragic incident is posted but all you are interested inis spouting your own views on drugs and Their effects. No medics amongst you.

... and still there are people on here who suggest that there is nothing wrong with "soft" drug usage.

Such soft drugs usage can easily lead addicts to more potent alternatives, ultimately ending in incidents like this.

I firmly believe that all "recreational" drugs, and more dangerous alternatives should remain banned and pushers jailed for long periods for supplying such dangerous substances...!

You have an opinion, but you don't have a clue what you're talking about.  But I'll use your analogy and play devil's advocate.  The primary 'entrance drug' that leads to 'harder' drugs and eventual addiction is the recreational drug: alcohol.  Alcohol should be banned. 

Lets start with alcohol as its a hard drug and has caused its fair share of deaths by fighting.

Guess you wont like that as its your drug. Weed is far less damaging.

Weed causes paranoia, if you can live with that, and upset those around you, go for it.

If weed causes you paranoia I would suggest that has more to do with your psyche than weed.

Each and everyone who is cooking up these crap drugs should be shot point blank, execution style, on the spot without a trial - worldwide. Full stop!

Sure...but the TV series 'Breaking Bad' made it look so Cool.

To those of you stating that I suggested that methamphetamine is a soft drug, I made no such statement ... so please read my post again...!

I suggested that most "users" start with "soft" or "recreational" drugs and ultimately lead on to more dangerous alternatives leading to incidents such as we have seen here.

You may wish to offer reasons for your personal decision to do drugs, but you will not change my attitude towards the use of any drugs for non-essential purposes ... the world would be a better place without any of them...!

The most dangerous aspect of marijuana use is you may end up in prison. The war on drugs has been an outstanding failure worldwide. The USA to it's credit is starting to do a uturn, Countries where marijauna is legal or decriminalised have a lower crime rate and also less hard drug use. New studies show it is not a gateway to harder drugs.. http://www.cliffsidemalibu.com/blog/new-studies-indicate-marijuana-gateway-drug/

Glad to see Thai police are starting to use less-than lethal devices and techniques. I can't say I have ever seen a Thai policeman carrying a stun gun. "Grabbing" at a man waving a meat clever, who has just killed or tried to kill two people, is not a wise course of action. The officers are very lucky not to have sustained major injuries themselves. In America he would most likely have been shot. Surprisingly, Thai police are very gun shy for some reason.

RIP Mr Chalermpol, and I hope Ms. Rariya makes a full recovery.

The police are not "gun shy" they are merely taking all actions to avoid injuring or killing the suspect unlike in America where it is the police pumped up on roids and carrying army style gear with a quick finger on the trigger.

This post sparked an interesting debate about drugs. What strikes me though is that most of this discussion focuses on which ones are legal and which are not, which are lethal and which are not... Banning or not banning...

But the question that always nags me when I see how universal drug usage has become is : why ? And then : is there any way to address the urge itself ?

Addressing it would require deep understanding though, extremely difficult because that in turn would demand real and thorough knowledge in a great many fields : sociological, political, medical, psychological and even metaphysical (the latter because for many drug users, the goal is to soften the pain caused by existential fear). But we live in a world where humanists and their all-encompassing approach are just a memory. Now we specialize, and by specializing we lose the big picture.

I totally understand all the 'hard stance'  posts which refuse the subtle (and most of the time, intellectually dishonest) distinctions between dangerous and recreational drugs and suggest to just ban everything, but i'm afraid this approach is a good example of failing to see the 'bigger picture'. Most drugs are already banned in most countries. Has that solved the problem ? Obviously not, all it does is generate mafia money and crime. If drugs are first and foremost an 'answer' to our difficulty facing the harshness of life, how do you set about banning the harshness of life ?

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

I suggested that most "users" start with "soft" or "recreational" drugs and ultimately lead on to more dangerous alternatives leading to incidents such as we have seen here.

You make such broad statements without any scientific or statistical basis. You also have a problem with understanding logic. Just because one event happens after some other event, it doesn't mean that there is a direct "cause and effect" link. What level of education did you attain?

You may wish to offer reasons for your personal decision to do drugs, but you will not change my attitude towards the use of any drugs for non-essential purposes ... the world would be a better place without any of them...!

I wonder how much support there is (other than from yourself) for the banning of beer, wine, coffee, tea and chocolate, and sending people to prison for the possession and consumption of these.

You already made your stance clear on this issue, and it is clear that we differ markedly; however, you do not see me lowering the tone of the thread and questioning your level of education, do you? 

FYI, after a full military career, I studied for an LLB (Law and Psychology) followed by a Master of Science Degree in Human Resource Development. Is that sufficient for you?

To those of you stating that I suggested that methamphetamine is a soft drug, I made no such statement ... so please read my post again...!

Do you drink alcohol or coffee, smoke?

ALL drugs should be legal or illegal. Total hypocrisy having some legal and others not. They are all readily available.

I've taken all drugs and been addicted and recovered. The worst IMHO are benzodiazepines for addiction and withdrawal. In fact the withdrawal for these legal (over the counter still in many stores) is by far worse than heroin or alcohol The only worse one is methadone withdrawal which is another prescription drug.

For aggression and crime, alcohol comes out miles ahead. I've been in incidents with mat cleavers when drunk and thank God I'm still  alive. RIP the dead guy.

Off topic but how many died yesterday because of alcohol related deaths on the roads. A lot more than 1.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Like 1

Lets start with alcohol as its a hard drug and has caused its fair share of deaths by fighting.

Guess you wont like that as its your drug. Weed is far less damaging.

Weed causes paranoia, if you can live with that, and upset those around you, go for it.

If weed causes you paranoia I would suggest that has more to do with your psyche than weed.

Weed causes me to seek harder drugs because of the paranoia.

I hope you group alcohol in that statement. Worst drug for violence of the lot.

And before making such sweeping statements, you should do some research. Not all illegal 'drugs' are the same, and should not be treated so.

Most people who drink alcohol or smoke marijuana don't become meth users.

Most people who drink alcohol or smoke marijuana don't become meth users.

True. But alcohol consumption is responsible for far more serious crime than crystal meth or any other drug you care to mention (for example, a large proportion of the rapes which occur every 15 minutes or so in Thailand).

great, start with alcohol unless you want to appear a hypocrite. 

if you are going to embrace "gateway drug" theory might as well at least be honest with yourself.

rubbish

Edited by Nowisee

Read the whole post before replying, geret.

Actually I nearly agree with GeorgeO... ILLEGAL soft drugs do sometimes lead to usage of harder drugs. However the reason for some ending up going onto harder drugs is because they question the sense of harder drug Laws due to the non-sense of soft drug Laws. In other words, the "Gateway Drugs" are "Gateway Drugs" because they are illegal - if they weren't fewer people would question the sense of the Laws on harder drugs.

Aside from review of drug Laws, the other option is to keep trying this "War on Drugs" business. Personally I cannot see a good outcome to the "War on Drugs" but if anyone wants to make an intelligent & candid statement to support its continuance, I'm all ears.

Drug wars...seem the Big Pharma will soon have its own legal perscription: ..soon to view like condoms were not comercialized but now seen

on TV ADS...do not be surprized the Beer ads will be replaced/added to Cannabus ads.

The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937 effectively made possession or transfer of cannabis illegal throughout the United States under federal law, excluding medical and industrial uses, through imposition of an excise tax on all sales of hemp.

In 1973 President Richard Nixon's "Reorganization Plan Number Two" proposed the creation of a single federal agency to enforce federal drug laws and Congress accepted the proposal, as there was concern regarding the growing availability of drugs.[62] As a result, on July 1, 1973, the Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs (BNDD) and the Office of Drug Abuse Law Enforcement (ODALE) merged to create the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).[33] On December 1, 1975, the Supreme Court ruled that it was "not cruel or unusual for Ohio to sentence someone to 20 years for having or selling cannabis."[63]

Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act

On February 5, 2013 Colorado representative Jared Polis introduced Ending Federal Marijuana Prohibition Act of 2013 (H.R. 499; 113th Congress), a bill that would decriminalize marijuana on the federal level, instead treating it as a substance to be regulated in a similar manner to alcohol. The act has not been approved by the Congress.[101]

And how has this been working up to this point in time, I would say not so good

great, start with alcohol unless you want to appear a hypocrite. 

if you are going to embrace "gateway drug" theory might as well at least be honest with yourself.

Have to agree with this the death and destruction from alcohol is momentous

Addiction is a disease that is not cured by tougher laws. Alcoholism is not cured or stopped by banning alcohol. Most people manage it just fine, a little wine, a beer or drink at a club. The same is true for soft drugs. People have a right to make their own decisions about this. Yet, addiction is a serious problem. Somehow the addictive personality and mentally ill need to be identified and dealt with. I don't have an easy solution for this but we need to start with recognizing the real problem....

Edited by arend