Majority of Thais plan to skip alcohol during Buddhist Lent: DDC Poll

webfact

DDC Poll: Majority of Thais plan to skip alcohol during Lent

BANGKOK, 15 August 2014 (NNT) - Survey results by the Department of Disease Control Poll show that over 70 percent of Thais across the country opt to abstain from alcohol during the Buddhist Lent.

The DDC Poll on the topic of alcohol consumption during the three-month Lent was conducted on 3,245 respondents in Bangkok and 24 other provinces. Over 70 percent of male respondents were found to be more likely to drink alcohol than female respondents.

The survey also found that 70.52 percent of men intended to skip drinking alcoholic beverages during the period.

Results from a recent ABAC Poll indicated that nearly 100 percent of Thais were aware of the alcohol ban during the important religious festivals such as Maka Bucha and Asarnha Bucha Day.

Those surveyed also suggested that alcohol bans be enforced during Buddhist holy days, Songkran Festival and New Year holidays of every year.

[nnt]2014-08-15[/nnt]

• Like 1

My elder sister and her husband have a local restaurant located at Saimai 75. It's a local style, open air. People go there to fish a shrimp. I mean, instead on fish you are fishing a shrimp (not sure if you guys understand)

During Buddhist Lent, their business goes down. Less customers, less order for beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app Edited by Cuddlycat

"The survey also found that 70.52 percent of men intended to skip drinking alcoholic beverages during the period."

70% will fail and 0.52 % will do what they intended.

They ' intend ' to skip alcohol and what % of the their evilly disposed friends will lead them astray ?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

"The survey also found that 70.52 percent of men intended to skip drinking alcoholic beverages during the period."

70% will fail and 0.52 % will do what they intended.

They ' intend ' to skip alcohol and what % of the their evilly disposed friends will lead them astray ?

The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Few take notice of these please do nots--- imagine --please do not smoke on January 1st      people do not stop with habits.

remember at the zoo years ago monkeys having sex--a lady said keeper throw them a bun---he said would you stop for a bun.

• Like 1

This 70% must consist of school children, babies, grannies and women who wouldn't drink anyway! In our village in Chiang Rai only a handful of the men don't drink during the lent. An exception!

maybe they asked just as the school for the smaller children opened 70% of the under 6-10 year old plan to don't drink.

Results from a recent ABAC Poll indicated that nearly less than 100 percent of Thais were aware of the alcohol ban during the important religious festivals such as Maka Bucha and Asarnha Bucha Day.

How can any adult Thai not know about alcohol bans on these two days unless they're living in a cave somewhere?

• Like 1

My elder sister and her husband have a local restaurant located at Saimai 75. It's a local style, open air. People go there to fish a shrimp. I mean, instead on fish you are fishing a shrimp (not sure if you guys understand)

During Buddhist Lent, their business goes down. Less customers, less order for beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes but do their beer sales drop 70%?

I wonder what percentage of population are adult males... 30%? Perhaps survey would be a bit more realistic would be to survey those who normally drink.... are they giving it up? Answer of course would be what they thought surveyor wants to hear. Part of the culture. Maybe get those girls in beer brand dresses to go out and ask the questions....