Pics of Lotus Restaurant, Beach Club Demolishment

EBlair48

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When is the last time you went to the beach? When is the last time you rented a lounger? For me it was about two years ago on Kata when I met a friend visiting and he rented the lounger for me. I won't, I refuse and just sit on a towel or beach mat. The beach boy who was serving us was from Burma. He said the Thais are too lazy to do the work, plus they can't speak English. Very true! So your false pretense that the Thais do any work, other than collect ill gotten gains from public lands and most likely illegal aliens working for them won't fly with me. Again, do you know any Thais that were directly affect by the tear downs? I do, they haven't complained a bit.

I was at the beach today, Jimi. [smiley smiley]

The place I go, er went to once or twice a week for lunch gave me a lounger with my meal. He's Thai and very, very upset His place has been there almost 10 years. He had no concrete and had a business license.

I talked to about five others today, all expressed what I have been posting, this was not a smart thing to do and will have negative consequences.

hey have had thier livelihoods ripped out from under them. They were acting with permission from local govt. Yes Local govt was acting illegally, apparently but that doesn't make it OK to now just nuke the working class like what has been done

T

I haven't visited my local beach, Nai Harn, ever since every square inch had been taken up with loungers and the restaurants proliferated on the actual beach, it was an ugly experience, same Laem Sing (went once) et al. When a visiting friend from a cold climate naturally wanted to spend time on the beach, I'd take a beach mat for myself and sit under the trees and tell them to go knock themselves out laugh.png

However, I do remember when it was just two lines of loungers and a handful of restaurants back off on the little slip road, many years ago, before it became the unregulated mess it was before the army performed operation Scorched Earth. Who do I blame? The OrBorJor. Why haven't any of them been investigated?huh.png

• Like 1

It is the Or Bot Tors who should be hung for allowing this to happen. The very people whose job it was to protect the beaches were getting wealthy selling it off. I don't have any empathy for all these illegal businesses. Every one of them knew they were illegal and this could happen some day. Unemployment is very low on Phuket, so I don't buy the sob stories. This is the best thing to ever happen here. It's a miracle. I just hope they stick to their principles. Only thing allowed on the King's beach...sand.

Yes, it's time the NCPO started investigated all these local government officials who allowed all this encroachment and pocketed a huge amount of baht over the years. Yet we hear nothing in local media about any investigation in these folks. Only the mayor of Karon was arrested for taxi related issues.

Everyone and his brother knows how all the illegal things were allowed to happen, so let's hope the Army figures it out also. Maybe that will be phase two of the cleanup operation, cleaning up the blatantly rampant corruption by local politicians.

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

They don't allow any vendors on the beaches in California where I grew up or allow restaurants and loungers all over the beach. Do they allow that on the beaches where you grew up?

Nope. So they came here to enjoy what they couldn't get back home. They said it was part of Thailand's charm.

You mean crappy ugly restaurants built on the beach, lots of garbage, dirty water, jetskis, speedboats, deckchair/umbrellas, etc etc.......give me clean, quite beautiful beaches any day.

Edited by Khun Loong
  • Like 1

I actually found myself regretting my wishing for this to happen. It's really looked like a war zone and that is exactly what it is plus a lot of jobs lost and it really will take away from the beach experience. Will every single beach on Phuket , what about 15 or so ...really be just mile after mile of sand and nothing else?

I really think it was a mistake to do this in such a drastic fashion. Tourism will plummet- further. I have read the arguments," Thailand cannot police itself to allow some vendors..." and yes I have to agree and it why I have always had difficulty respecting a culture that has little civil ethos

I also feel a war coming on, a class war.

"I have always had difficulty respecting a culture that has little civil ethos."

A tad pompous if you can only see what's happening in Thailand in isolation from the rest of the world. Claiming it's happening because of some lack of civility or ethics is undoubtedly a conveniently condescending way to label the local situation, but it's a somewhat simplistic, self-serving way to dismiss the situation here as if it were a primitive outpost just discovered by colonialists.

Since this is a problem you've faced often ..."I have always had difficulty..."... How many other cultures have you written off for this reason?

" I also feel a war coming on, a class war."

You mean like economic immigrants trying to flood into Europe, the US and Australia? What about in Ferguson, Missouri, in the American heartland? Not to mention much of the rhetoric in the last presedential campaign.Class warfare indeed.

The haves and the have-nots everywhere are increasingly in conflict with words and much more.

ferguson-mo-7.jpg

Missouri, USA.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 1

You mean crappy ugly restaurants built on the beach, lots of garbage, dirty water, jetskis, speedboats, deckchair/umbrellas, etc etc.......give me clean, quite beautiful beaches any day.

Khun Loong, That's all very well, but as I said earlier in this thread, I am sad at the demise of the Lotus.

It doesn't matter what you say, you cannot take that away from me. If I feel that way, then so do many others. What makes you think your view is right?

Edited by trd

It is the Or Bot Tors who should be hung for allowing this to happen. The very people whose job it was to protect the beaches were getting wealthy selling it off. I don't have any empathy for all these illegal businesses. Every one of them knew they were illegal and this could happen some day. Unemployment is very low on Phuket, so I don't buy the sob stories. This is the best thing to ever happen here. It's a miracle. I just hope they stick to their principles. Only thing allowed on the King's beach...sand.

Yes, it's time the NCPO started investigated all these local government officials who allowed all this encroachment and pocketed a huge amount of baht over the years. Yet we hear nothing in local media about any investigation in these folks. Only the mayor of Karon was arrested for taxi related issues.

They have to be very careful who they hit with this hammer if they dont want to arrange the next red election victory. So i guess nothing will happen only little bit show like the karon show.

I actually found myself regretting my wishing for this to happen. It's really looked like a war zone and that is exactly what it is plus a lot of jobs lost and it really will take away from the beach experience. Will every single beach on Phuket , what about 15 or so ...really be just mile after mile of sand and nothing else?

I really think it was a mistake to do this in such a drastic fashion. Tourism will plummet- further. I have read the arguments," Thailand cannot police itself to allow some vendors..." and yes I have to agree and it why I have always had difficulty respecting a culture that has little civil ethos

A lot of scammers and opportunists in tourist areas -- a common phenomenon in many countries -- does not equate to an entire culture having little civil ethos.

When you find a lot of scammers in San Francisco, Las Vegas, or Miami Beach do you make the same sweeping generalization about American culture?

I think it more likely that the beaches will be fronted with big ugly condo/resorts, with public access to the beaches severely limited, as in Bali.

There has always been, and will always be, all over the world, class struggle. Unfortunately, the struggle is almost always in vain. The few hold all the cards.

• Like 2

I think it more likely that the beaches will be fronted with big ugly condo/resorts, with public access to the beaches severely limited, as in Bali.

There has always been, and will always be, all over the world, class struggle. Unfortunately, the struggle is almost always in vain. The few hold all the cards.

As in Bali severly limited, the public pay to play on the beach, $$$

Hey Jimi, it seems like you really respect the law. So make sure you don't assemble in groups of five or more, because that's now against the law which it wasn't two months ago. The beach vendors had licences from the Or Bor Tor and that was the law then but not now. Your self righteousness is beginning to grate!

You really think thr Or Bor Tor issued official licences. I think not as local authories have no legal right to rent out public beach land. For sure the local authorities turned a blind eye subject to brown envelope payments. All illegal on both sides.

oh no, this guys had all legal licenses,

even the fees were paid with legal money

under the table

Next stop fronts for prostitution such as bar beers , massage parlours and soapies and beachfront freelancers - way to go army.

LOL! Are you a "Christian" or just a western woman who's delusional in South East Asia? Have you ever been to a Thai Karaoke Bar? Or to Bangkok or Cambodia? How about Pattaya?

• Like 1

Next stop fronts for prostitution such as bar beers , massage parlours and soapies and beachfront freelancers - way to go army.

Never happen.

You do know that the prostitution set-up for foreigners is tiny compared to the locals, right?

Aye but as they seem to be on an anti-corruption crusade at the moment why stop at beach enchroachment. I liked the old live and let live Thailand - anyone got access to a time machine ?

LOL! Are you a "Christian" or just a western woman who's delusional in South East Asia? Have you ever been to a Thai Karaoke Bar? Or to Bangkok or Cambodia? How about Pattaya?

I was being sarcastic ! (I am a Brit - default mode).

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Khun Loong, That's all very well, but as I said earlier in this thread, I am sad at the demise of the Lotus.

It doesn't matter what you say, you cannot take that away from me. If I feel that way, then so do many others. What makes you think your view is right?

Where did I say my view was right? Read my post again......I said "give ME clean, quiet beaches any day" Am I allowed to express my opinion if it is different to yours?

There are still plenty of beaches in Thailand with garbage all over the place......I'm sure you can find another one you like just as much.

Edited by Khun Loong

Really? A class war? You and Bulldozer Dawn are a couple of drama queens. It is about time tourism slowed down around here. How long can they keep building without any expenditure on infrastructure? It has reached it's maximum. Now their sandcastle is crumbling! Most Thai people in Phuket, except the old families and their relatives are from other provinces. There has always been feudal system here in Phuket. My wife has family some here and I have met a few of the local village chiefs. Interesting lot and a very interesting local culture…

Interesting in what way?

Never happen.

You do know that the prostitution set-up for foreigners is tiny compared to the locals, right?

Who cares who is running the illegal businesses. If they are illegal then they are illegal Thai or Falang.

Anyhow the whole thing is a complete Joke..the taxi stands are back, the Samlors are back selling food on public land, where the restaurants used to be there is garbage and dogs, Jetskis are still operating on the beaches...great progress

"I have always had difficulty respecting a culture that has little civil ethos."

A tad pompous if you can only see what's happening in Thailand in isolation from the rest of the world. Claiming it's happening because of some lack of civility or ethics is undoubtedly a conveniently condescending way to label the local situation, but it's a somewhat simplistic, self-serving way to dismiss the situation here as if it were a primitive outpost just discovered by colonialists.

Since this is a problem you've faced often ..."I have always had difficulty..."... How many other cultures have you written off for this reason?

" I also feel a war coming on, a class war."

You mean like economic immigrants trying to flood into Europe, the US and Australia? What about in Ferguson, Missouri, in the American heartland? Not to mention much of the rhetoric in the last presedential campaign.Class warfare indeed.

The haves and the have-nots everywhere are increasingly in conflict with words and much more.

ferguson-mo-7.jpg

Missouri, USA.

You're right my statement was unclear, I'll correct it ;

I've always had a problem respecting THIS culture....

It really isn't even a problem for me as you claim, simply an observation.

There seems to be a consensus, even on this thread that Thais are incapable of following rule of law, I call that a lack of civil ethos. Please tell us how civic minded you find Thais to be if you truly disagree.

As for a class war, since we are speaking of Thailand and the recent actions on Bang Tao particularly, it is unfair for you expect me to enter an argument to include the rest of the world's problems re immigration and elections.

And not sure how bringing up the hyper- militarized US police absolves the newly militarized Bangkok elite? I'm against militarization all over the globe, especially when it is used to evict the working class from jobs such as being done here.