American beaten by Ladyboy in Central Pattaya

Rimmer

Maybe if he had simply politely declined the offer, smiled and walked away this wouldn't have happened. It seems he tried to give it the big I am and ended up losing to a ladyboy. Must make him very proud whistling.gif

You are probably right. But sometimes getting away from these people is tough! Some are quite big....

Yes they are but just telling them you are not attracted to them usually helps. Telling them off is just stupid but some people will never learn.

The lady-boy was of course the aggressor here and the one most in the wrong, words to violence is never good. But the other party could have told them no without getting offensive.

I believe the USA and UK are well known for their offensive language (meaning its quite normal to put offensive words in the language not everyone of course because many of the people i know dont but there is a group that puts f..icking between each sentence). Here that is far less the case and people do take offence when talked to in that matter.

I believe the USA and UK are well known for their offensive language (meaning its quite normal to put offensive words in the language not everyone of course because many of the people i know dont but there is a group that puts f..icking between each sentence). Here that is far less the case and people do take offence when talked to in that matter.

Amazing what you can learn about the people in your home country on here. I will pass this along back home so people will understand each other better.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea.. another moralious from the bible belt.laugh.png

Perhaps you are to quick to jump to conclusions.

I walk past those bars almost every night and the Ladyboy's do get physical at times. If you have been here a while it is not a problem. But I can understand some people especially the inexperienced not reacting well for many reasons perhaps including moral ones. Someone needs to get these Ladyboy's to become a little more reserved. Perhaps they should stay inside their bar and massage palour and not come into the street and physically prevent you from walking along the street.

• Like 1

''Mr. Bowsher was offended by the encounter and entered into a verbal altercation with the Ladyboy'' - therein lies the whole story. American diplomacy in action once again....................

I was accosted by 2 ladyboys in Pattaya without any provocation what so ever. One grabbed me by the nutz (which became my center of attention) while trying to remove my wallet from my rear pocket. While struggling for my wallet and trying to flee both of them, the other one stole my camera which was slung over my shoulder and a 200 dollar pair of sun glasses which was in my shirt pocket. I managed to flee without loosing my wallet and reported the incident to the police but I never got my camera and sun glasses back. That little encounter cost me about a grand.

Those jumping to the conclusion of blaming the American have obviously never had a violent encounter with Ladyboys. Making broad generalizations by implying a single characteristic on a group of approximately 300 million people isn't really very brilliant either.

Let's see ... a grand in obvious bling and a wallet in back pocket. You're lucky you weren't attacked by a couple of armed dudes on a motorbike that might have cost you your wallet and maybe more. Learn anything?

It's absolutely amazing how many are pretty much blaming the victim of a physical attack,, by a type of person, that NUMEROUS times, have been posted about of this forum over and over,, as ALWAYS being the aggressor,, Please show me a post on here along the lines of, "American tourist, attacks ladyboy for no reason", "Russian tourist pick-pockets ladyboy",,,, "German tourist blamed in ladyboy neckless theft"...... LOLOLOLOL...... I agree, simply smile, No, keep moving,, but that's in the, "normal" tourist laden areas of Sukhumvit in BKK,,, NONE of us were there, and KNOW the story,,, I've seen them in the, "seedier" areas,, get down right PHYSICALLY abusive for VERY little cause,, Sometimes it's only that someone just doesn't acknowledge them,,, BIG FREAKING DEAL!,, So I don't want a SINGLE thing to do with you,, BUT!,, I'm, "required" to smile, acknowledge you, treat you politely, give you and your buddies a chance to get closer, grab, fondle, pick pockets?... REALLY?,,,,, SOOO sorry I wasn't aware I was, "REQUIRED" to treat you differently, than say and Indian tailor, street vendor, etc, etc,,, HEAVEN FORBID if I get aggressive with you because you WON'T BACK OFF!.., I'm not ALLOWED to voice my displeasure, and cause a chick with a dick, to POSSIBLY lose, "face",,,, SOOO sorry,, I wasn't aware,,, From the gist of the responses here,,, (cow down, don't offend, treat this thief with respect, any deviation from these can get your arse kicked,,) I'd bet the ladyboys in question, have bigger balls than most posting here,,, lololol

You are absolutely right.

However a person has to be thinking ahead ...because the way it works here in Thailand basically works against the foreigners in cases such as this.

Of course you should not let a person ( man or women ) accost you and do bodily harm to you without putting up a fight or at least resisting in some way.

But here in Thailand usually no good comes of it for the foreigner and seldom does a foreigner receive the justice they should.

So knowing this, it is simply far more prudent to avoid any confrontation at all with Thai people because the odds are against you.

In other words....you can be the man who is right and sitting in jail or be the man who is wrong and free to carry on and enjoy yourself.

Having said all of that there are plenty of cases where a foreigner does receive a degree of justice.

I will tell you a story that will amuse you.

A friend of mine and his Indian client went to Pat Pong one time and while walking around they were solicited to go up into one of the upstairs bars, a smaller affair and not so obvious.

My friend should have known better because he had already lived here for several years and was aware that some ( repeat ) some upstairs bars are rip off bars.

After watching "The Show" they were presented with their bill for their drinks that included an extra 1000 Baht for the special show.

My friend just laughed and told his client that they are trying to cheat us so just pay for the 2 beers and lets be on our way.

Of course when they paid only for the cost of the 2 drinks and tried to leave they were surrounded by the Thai bar thugs that work the bar and intimidate the patrons and force them to pay.

My friend considers himself somewhat of a fighter and he told the client: we either pay or fight our way out.

So the client agreed not to pay and they basically barged their way out of the bar while being hit and kicked and screamed at and when they passed the door the Thai bar thugs were still hitting them and kicking at them and on the way down the stairs they threw a bottle at them along with all the usual insults and threats.

So my friend says he is laughing at this, all in good fun, and ready to move on but his Indian friend / client is really pissed off and outraged by the altercation.

The Indian says: Where is a police station around here and my friend informs him there is the one station on Suriwong Road..........but never mind, lets move on.

The client heads for the police station with my friend telling him not to make matter worse and just let it be, but the client is off to the police station with my friend following.

He tells me how his friend walks into the police station and in a very loud and angry voice starts to demand to know who is in charge here and starts pointing at one police officer and says : You, are you in charge here ...who is in charge here?

The one police officer says: Yes...what problem.

The Indian client whips out his wallet and pulls out a wad of money from his wallet and waves it in the officers face and loudly tells the officer: You want to make some money...do you ..you want this money, then come with me.

My friend tells me he is telling the Indian client to settle down and take it easy but the Indian guy tells my friend to shut up while saying: "I know how it works in this country...it is all about the money.... so ..just don't say anything"

He says his client keeps on waving the wad of money at the officer ( about 10,000 Baht or more ) and now walks out the door still waving the money saying : You want this money, follow me"

The client is going back to the bar with my friend running along side of him telling him to just settle down ........but the Indian guys says to my friend : You just watch, because it is all about the money .... but for me it is not about the money , I have plenty of money and I am going to teach these <deleted> a lesson.

My friend told me 2 officers where putting on their caps and gear and running after his client.

When they got to the steps leading to the upstairs bar while the 2 police offers were now there he said the client starts waving the money in front of them again and loudly telling them : I want this Bar shut down ..they tried to cheat us and they assaulted us and I want this bar shut down.

You understand...this bar...and stormed up the steps and confronted the Thai guys and the Thai guy who looked to be the <deleted> manager of the place...saying: Hey... remember me, I brought some friends of mine.

He called the police officers up and right in front of everyone started to put 500 baht notes into the hand of the senior officer saying..."how much..is this enough...no???... how about some more, while my friend was watching him count out 5000 , 6000 ..7000 baht and started to protest saying: whoaaa, hold on ...but the Indian guy said: Stay out of this, while screaming at everyone and telling the 2 officers : I want this bar closed .....Now

My friend told me the Indian client easily gave the officer 10,000 baht or more and the officers started grabbing ahold of the Thai bar thugs and telling them: Out, everyone out and sure enough the police rounded everyone up , including the girls and they shut the place down.

Now of course the Thai thugs were all apologetic and trying to reason with the police but the Indian guy kept on giving more money to the police officer telling them he wanted the bar shut down for 2 days.

He told me the Indian guy told the officers : "We are going to sit here at this beer bar , at the bottom of the stairs, leading up to the rip off bar and make sure no one gets in for 2 evenings" and had one of the officers stay there while buying him drinks and giving him another 500 baht note every so often...right in front of the Thai thugs...some of them still hanging around trying to apologize.

I came along on the second evening while seeing my friend and his Indian client sitting there, laughing and talking to the bar girls with this young police officer sitting with them with a big grin on his face and a drink in his hand while the Indian guy kept on looking up at 2 Thai guys, just sitting there on the stairs and waving at them and giving them the finger.

When I asked my friend what was going on he introduced me to his Indian friend and the young Police officer and had me sit down for a drink and proceeded to tell me what had happened and what was going on.

I heard the basic details and every time I looked up at the 2 Thai guys sitting on the stairs they were eyeing me with daggers in their eyes so I figured it would be best to move on soon as maybe the 2 Thai thugs would remember me at a later date and make trouble for me.

Next week I went around to my friends office and the Indian client was there and I listened to the full story of what happened while we all had a good laugh about justice served in a unusual way.

I said: If you don't mind me asking......about how much did it all cost you for 2 evenings and everything included to keep the bar shut down;

The Indian guy first said: It is not about the money for me...I have plenty of money...it is about showing them who is in charge and money talks ..right......money is in charge...right.

It turned out he figured he spent about 25,000 to maybe 30,000 baht...just for the satisfaction of showing them who is in charge

Anyhow....justice can prevail...but it usually costs you money......some how or someway

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe if he had simply politely declined the offer, smiled and walked away this wouldn't have happened. It seems he tried to give it the big I am and ended up losing to a ladyboy. Must make him very proud alt=whistling.gif>

You obviously like the ladyboys. There is nothing lady about them though.

I do believe the story as it has happened to me. Not the altercation but the aggressive creeps don't give up easily. Politely declining and smiling just don't do it anymore. I don't walk around Pattaya Soi Buakoa area any more. Thailand is just becoming to crappy.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe if he had simply politely declined the offer, smiled and walked away this wouldn't have happened. It seems he tried to give it the big I am and ended up losing to a ladyboy. Must make him very proud alt=whistling.gif>

You obviously like the ladyboys. There is nothing lady about them though.

I do believe the story as it has happened to me. Not the altercation but the aggressive creeps don't give up easily. Politely declining and smiling just don't do it anymore. I don't walk around Pattaya Soi Buakoa area any more. Thailand is just becoming to crappy.

Diddums. Yes, they are persistant and some can get violent, but in that environment they are very uinlikely to start violence. Too many witnesses. I think he probably had a smart mouth or worse. You gotta go into that environment that he was (I expect) voluntarilly in, with a good attitude & a smile. The money to pay the rent or buy the next lipstick (or worse) can seem pretty important to all the working girls & boys, sometimes. Hang loose.

Is it now time to introduce a new term for guys who are attacked viciously by Lady Boys,

if so I suggest being " Bowshered"

in honour of Mr Shawn Bowsher, the named and photographed recipient of this attack.

Lets all agree that being "Bowshered" is just plain wrong.

• Like 1

If some guy was hitting on me I would tell him to bugger off also.

Telling someone to 'bugger off' is some what different to being aggressively abusive, don't you think? This guy had probably already had a few beers, most likely been rejected by a few bar girls because of his aggressive natural, and then mouthed off at the wrong time with the wrong person, no sympathy from me, he got all he deserved, som nam naa sucker!

They are very aggressive and very obnoxious.

That aggressiveness is often a result of their proclivity for mehamphetamine use.

Always treat ladyboys with respect, or run away. Public disrespect and confrontation causes a loss of face and we can see from the photo in the OP what often happens next.

I thought he was talking about the American...

Don't be embarrassed. Use google for help with the big words.

Whoosh... Satire is not your strong suit, is it?

PiPiFFS, on 16 Aug 2014 - 10:46, said:

Maybe if he had simply politely declined the offer, smiled and walked away this wouldn't have happened. It seems he tried to give it the big I am and ended up losing to a ladyboy. Must make him very proud whistling.gif

Are you seriously suggesting the aggressive assault was justified?.... if so then you are a very strange fellow. Besides, you make an assumption, that he was not polite, an assumption because you weren't there seems to make you a fool.

You are probably right. But sometimes getting away from these people is tough! Some are quite big....

Yes they are but just telling them you are not attracted to them usually helps. Telling them off is just stupid but some people will never learn.

The lady-boy was of course the aggressor here and the one most in the wrong, words to violence is never good. But the other party could have told them no without getting offensive.

I have a German friend who is very well educated but puts the "F" word in normal conversational sentences. He even posts it on facebook, He's not overly aggressive but has heard it that often, he thinks it's normal. It isn't. I also know a Spaniard who uses it in almost every sentence when speaking English, yet never in Spanish.

American, Australians and now also a large portion of British people use this word freely in their constant speech without thinking about it or taking offence, Used to be heavily frowned on in the UK and you would be in trouble if a policeman heard you swear in public. TV "dramas" and films have made it seem almost fashionable.

Thais, and many other Asian people observe politeness in their language and will react to profanities directed at them and consider you low class and poorly educated. That is until their own temper goes.

Aggressive language, body language and actions will provoke reactions from Thais as we know. Although wrong, the punishments for attacking foreigners, as we read often, are not too severe,

A few Thai words were all that you needed.

If you are a visitor to Thailand alway carry your ID,

You should carry and an English-Thai phrase book.

And Always be polite to EVERYBODY.

Follow this simple advice to have a good holiday.

A few derogatory posts have been removed from view, and one suggesting violence. Please abide by forum rules:

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Let's put this into a different, but ABSOLUTELY TRUE scenerio,,, Many here are somewhat laughing, that a man got beaten up by a woman/lady,, make NO mistake, they are NOT, NOT WOMEN!, they are Thai MEN!,, So lets say you're walking along, a Thai man, bar tout, tries to pressure you into a bar,, you politely say, "No thanks" and continue walking, they follow you, step in front of you, AGAIN try, you side-step, try to continue, they then grab your arm, your crotch, reach a hand in your pocket,, Do you STILL remain calm/polite?,,, or firmly, voice your disspleasure?,, YA,, you tell them to F-OFF!,, they then argue with you, and pull out a pointed weapon and smash you in the head with it,,, Sooo STILL your fault?... Many are assuming, tits means, woman,, How diluted is THAT?... I gotta laugh myself at the many here, OBVIOUSLY not American,, "Oh dear, when will these stupid Americans learn that when confronted, you simply tuck ones tail between ones legs, cow down, appologuise for doing nothing wrong, and simply slink away?,, Lolololol These same posters, seem to have NO problem with us, "stupid" Americans, standing up for what's right, taking a stand, and NOT cowing down to a bully back in the 40's,, WHY are these posters so passive now?,, or have they ALWAYS been?,,,

Edited by Adeeos
  • Like 2

There are hundreds of ex pats and tourists who walk past those bars in exactly that same spot everday and I am one of them. I get acosted by the lady boys all the time, all I do is smile and say "mai ow krap" and keep walking. Non of us have had any problems using this method. Then this guy comes along and bad mouths this ladyboy and gets whacked for it. If he didn't bad mouth them then nothing would have happened to him just like the rest of us, again wrong choices by a fool.

• Like 2

It would appear that the police report failed to mention that the American 'victim' was drinking with the ladyboy inside the bar, and that they left together before the attack. So while the attack is inexcusable and the ladyboy has rightly been fired by the bar, Mr Bowsher is far from a random victim of a meth-crazed ladyboy prostitute.

ahhhhhhhh! It reveals then smile.png

It hasn't been revealed where that 'information' came from... no source.

I have been googling it and can't find anywhere that says he was in the bar and the two guys left together.

To clarify, that information came from the bar-owner and a customer who was present at the time of the attack. There are places on the internet that Google does not track.

That the attack was, in the eyes of the perpetrator, provoked, does not detract from the fact that it was wrong, but that the Thai police appear unwilling to press charges suggests that they consider the 'victim' not entirely innocent. Perhaps the lesson to be learned is not to expect to get a 'fumble' or more in a bar, be it ladyboy, lady or boy, without tipping and leaving graciously.

As a side-note, assuming that the majority of contributors here either live in Thailand or visit regularly, I am surprised by the ignorance and prejudice expressed about ladyboys and how to safely counter unwanted advances from Thais in general.

thats gotta hurt, a stiletto to the head.

ladyboys can be absolutely bonkers, for pharmaceutical or lifestyle reasons, but i have never seen violence from a thai against a farang without some form of perceived antagonism, even if its so slight as embarrassment in front of their peers, so im guessing that whatever was said to miss three-legs maybe carried or caused this sentiment to be felt.

again however they can still be totally nuts (no pun intended) and one should just be a bit bashful and shy when it comes to rejecting the ones with the balls (again no pun) to approach u and even lay hands on u in the street. this can be too much for a lot of guys and i think also a lot of kathoeys enjoy provoking this reaction from tourists. bit of a dangerous combo sometimes.