Foreign Tourists Complain About Pattaya Traffic Police

Rimmer

Foreign Tourists Complain About Pattaya Traffic Police

422.jpg
PATTAYA – August 14, 2014 [Pattaya Daily News]; late at night, Pol.Col. Supphathee Boonkhrong (Acting Superintendent of Pattaya city police station) had received complaints from some Kuwaiti tourist and United Arab Emirates tourists that they were arrested and made to pay very expensive fines.

The journalists asked Mr. Damis Ali (the Arab tourist) then perceived that the traffic policemen had arrested him with an exaggerated allegation that they had spoken to him impolitely and as Mr. Damis Ali and he didn’t understand why Thai police always spoke impolitely to the tourists. For Mr. Badas (the Kuwaiti tourist and a soldier) he said that it was his first time in Pattaya city and he was arrested while driving a motorbike so he called his friend to come and talk with the police because they said he needed to pay a 2,000 THB fine now or if he went to pay the fine at the Pattaya city police station, the fine may be increased to 3,000 THB. He was extremely suspicious about the fine therefore he went to see the superior police officer about the fine.

The journalists also reported that there was also one more traffic policeman that had arrested a Middle Eastern tourists with the allegation of driving carelessly and talked with him in the police box for over an hour when a woman walked into the room and said something to the police

Full story:--http://www.pattayadailynews.com/pattaya-news/foreign-tourists-complain-pattaya-traffic-police/

pdnews.jpg
-- Pattaya Daily News 2014-08-16

• Like 1

two posts removed under rule 11

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Moreover, previously the traffic policeman had been filmed slapping a female Russian tourist.

What a hero. Time to move him to a inactive position cheesy.gif

About the slapping the Russky, I don't think that was true it just looked like in the video and appeared distorted. Many of this young men drive and behave like young men, what should we expect.?

Some posts have been removed including one posting the entire article and pictures from PDN which is not allowed.

14) You will not post any copyrighted material except as fair use laws apply (as in the case of news articles). Please only post a link, the headline and the first three sentences.

At the beachroad Jomtien (or is it already Na Jomtien?), after Chaiaproek Road, close to Soi Lucky View is a police box. I drove this way often because a friend of mine live there. A police officer pulled me out. I wear a helmet and had all the necessary papers. The officer asked me; Do you support the police? What? You give me money? While he said this, he walked back to his box with my key. So i gave him 100 Baht to get back my key. He asked me for more money. I denied and was close to become angry.

I told this story to my friend. He answered; they do this every day with Russians.

Since this happens, i take another route. Similar scam at the Police Box Skuhumvit crossroad to Hua Yai. He stopped me with my girlfriend on the back. He told me, i was driving to fast. That's nonsense. Because, i had to wait the for the traffic light to get green. I tried to explain him, but he wanted 400 Baht. My girlfriend gave him 1000 Baht and we waited for the change. He came back, but with no money. He forced us to go.

In the city of Pattaya, many years since something like this happened. But in the suburbs, still daily business.

• Like 2

they stopped me there the other day, I had to wait 15 minutes while the police man tried to convince me that I wasnt wearing a helmet, I couldnt figure out if the guy was seriously nuts or if he was trying to provoke violence, there wasnt much I could do but point at the helmet on my head and say its a helmet, anyway it was strange but he eventually had to let me go

I think he was trying to tell you that a sauce pan does not constitute a helmet

they stopped me there the other day, I had to wait 15 minutes while the police man tried to convince me that I wasnt wearing a helmet, I couldnt figure out if the guy was seriously nuts or if he was trying to provoke violence, there wasnt much I could do but point at the helmet on my head and say its a helmet, anyway it was strange but he eventually had to let me go

I think he was trying to tell you that a saucepan does not constitute a helmet

• Like 1

Moreover, previously the traffic policeman had been filmed slapping a female Russian tourist.

About the slapping the Russky, I don't think that was true it just looked like in the video and appeared distorted. Many of this young men drive and behave like young men, what should we expect.?

That video was for real. That cop actually did slap that Russky female tourist in the face, then hurriedly walked away. He got away with it, of course. Intimidating women (with threats of violence) is historically integral with the local culture. Asean womyn "mouth off" to foreigners in ways that they wouldn't dare "think" about doing with an Asean man. Asean men have no fear of penalty payment, or retribution for the act of visiting violence against their women.

Asia is totally male dominated, as are the Thai law enforcement agencies.Have you not noticed that there are no "uniformed" female street cops in this country? That alone speaks monumentally, regarding the basic social structure of Asean societies.. Even up-tight Muslim Malaysia has "pistol totting, uniformed female cops, on the street level of law enforcement. Pay attention. Capiche? whistling.gif

Edited by NativeSon360

OMG ! "Also there is a checkpoint that has been set up to breathalyse drivers at Wat Chai Mongkhon intersection every day."

Did they really do that ?

What about in the night or early morning when ppl come back from a night out a bit drunk ?

Maybe it's only in daytime though ?

Pattaya would not be Pattaya if they started to do like in Europe or USA !

I've not been there since January 2014 but since I went there regularly from 2003, I've never seen any alcohol breathanalyse in Pattaya.

If the young men from the Gulf States drive in Thailand the same way many of them drive in the UAE (and with the same dismissive contempt shown the police there), my sympathy is entirely with the police.

There are certainly a number of comments in several threads wondering aloud why the police don't do more about all the Yahoos racing about on motorbikes ... although as usual, the concern for police action seems to apply only when the miscreants are Thai.

I guess the ideal situation here at TV would be if the police strictly enforced the law for Thais and turned a blind eye to the boyish antics of foreigners. Same Same, but Different.

Whatever defender of Thais.

Please tell me what legal fines there are for motorbikes that cost 2000. There are none.. its a scam.

I guess the new policies (no corruption, etc.)are already too old and everything id getting back to normal and biz as usual

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Careful next time he will say you are not wearing your seatbelt.

So prepare one... when you ride.

I don't understand.....WHO is the hero? The policeman? .......biggrin.png

He was being sarcastic. You must be a native English speaker to get that drift. Cheerswai.gif

• Like 1

I got pulled over in pattaya I did not know why

I had license and helmet

They just gave me a ticket and I had to pay

I showed the ticket to my wife and she laughed

I asked why

She said the section where it says what I am charged with was left blank

So for real I paid a fine for doing nothing ha ha

• Like 1

Got popped going the wrong way midday on Walking Street last week.

I was on a rented bike, and in no mood to stand around in the midday sun, so I offered the officer payment "on the spot."

I was politely declined, told where the police station could be found, and promised my license on return with receipt.

All very straightforward, and a welcome change from the old days.

I had to spend half an hour in the station while waiting to pay, but the policeman was in the same spot when I got back.

Receipt presented, license returned.

If I have a complaint, it's that he tried to nick me for having no tax stamp, when everybody knows rentals usually have those taped into the boot. I ran out to the parking lot and snapped a phone pic of the sticker and showed it to the man at the desk.

He dismissed that charge without further questions.

I give them high marks for professionalism and fairness.

• Like 1

a post breaking rule 11 removed

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

I was at a checkpoint in Hua Yai and the policeman said "Do I give money to police?" First time a policeman had come right out and said he wanted a bribe so I gave him 40 baht! He looked and said "Only small money why?" I told him my Thai girlfriend is the only one who steals big money from me! He laughed and waved me on.

• Like 2

I think he was trying to tell you that a saucepan does not constitute a helmet

oh yeah, a policeman mind reader, I got a job for you