Songkhla Town dredging project

phuketsub

I came across this and thought some people might find it interesting. I guess it shows how much they have screwed up the natural drainage in the area through development (eg. covering everything with concrete and bitumen). It doesn't reflect well on public planning when dredging is needed on what is essentially a sand spit. Does anyone know exactly where the referenced community is? Thailand: Dredging to Bring Relief to Songkhla Province

Dredging-to-Bring-Relief-to-Songkhla-Pro

Somchai Janpratin, deputy mayor of Songkhla Province, yesterday examined the Tao-it dredging project in the city municipality.

The drains are the main way to funnel water from the city into Songkhla Lake, and dredging will let the water flow from the city into the lake faster, lessening the flood problem in Tao-it neighborhood that occurs every year.

Workers with a backhoe-loader and a vacuum truck are removing mud and weed from 192 water drains located throughout Songkhla City. The dredging project started yesterday and will continue until September 28.

Janpratin said that every year from October to the beginning of January, Songkhla City and neighboring areas are affected by the Monsoon Trough that causes a regular flood problem.

Clear water drains are an essential way to solve the problem. The dredging project is being acted upon as an expected solution to the problem.

From Dredgingtoday.com

Hi Phuketsub,

That area is on the West-Sth West side of the main Songkhla Shopping area...In the 15yr odd years i have been around here, it's an ongoing happening as the area there is swampy and well below sea level.....All the dredging in the world wont fix the problem, unless they dredge the sand from the lake into the swamp to raise the level. BUT, as the city has expanded, and makeshift houses were built on the original levels, it's going to be very hard to fix......

Hi Phuketsub,

That area is on the West-Sth West side of the main Songkhla Shopping area...In the 15yr odd years i have been around here, it's an ongoing happening as the area there is swampy and well below sea level.....All the dredging in the world wont fix the problem, unless they dredge the sand from the lake into the swamp to raise the level. BUT, as the city has expanded, and makeshift houses were built on the original levels, it's going to be very hard to fix......

Thanks for that; I will go have a look...btw, do you know if there are any good places to workout (like a municipal gym with free weights) or anything like that in Songkhla Town?

No...I get enough exercise here, looking after the lawns....lol.

Call in anytime , and i will put you on a exercise program that ensures you will loose weight and really tone up....It's called a push mower...biggrin.png

No...I get enough exercise here, looking after the lawns....lol.

Call in anytime , and i will put you on a exercise program that ensures you will loose weight and really tone up....It's called a push mower...biggrin.png

Thanks, but I think my lawn-mowing days are over...Anyway, I found one at Thaksin University that has lots of equipment; just hope it doesn't get too crowded

Hi Phuketsub,

Thanks for that; I will go have a look...btw, do you know if there are any good places to workout (like a municipal gym with free weights) or anything like that in Songkhla Town?

Municipal gym at the stadium...under the terraces...west side.

Was free for farangs, not sure now.

Is that the stadium where Songkhla United play? Also interested to know if that team has any sort of expat support...

Is that the stadium where Songkhla United play? Also interested to know if that team has any sort of expat support...

The games we go to, we probably see another half dozen or so farangs. There is a break in the season now until early October ... make the most of the remaining games though - it's likely they'll be playing in the first division next season.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

The games we go to, we probably see another half dozen or so farangs. There is a break in the season now until early October ... make the most of the remaining games though - it's likely they'll be playing in the first division next season.

I'll have to check it out when league play resumes...I went to the stadium late this afternoon and found the gym. It is 10baht for everyone. Looks like a no-nonsense kind of place; mostly free weights. open 3pm-8pm.

What I don't get is that they have a chlorine pool in the same complex and are building a new one, and then you have the entire stadium area restricted access to vehicles and hundreds of people jogging on the road around it -- but not one person running on the beach sand (better for your knees and mind) or swimming along the entire length of Samila, even though the water was pretty clean.

It really got me thinking: "What's going on here? Am I crazy or the only sane one?"

Anyway, if anyone thinks they have spotted a white whale off the coast of Songkhla Town in the weeks to come, that'll be me.