What VPN was I using?

nellyp

I was connecting to iplayer through a VPN but it has disappeared from my browser. I used to have a blue shield showing in the top right corner of my google screen, but it has disappeared cpompletely (it was green when no turned on).Dos anybody know which service this was. I had it for free as as promotionbut I believe it is a pay for service. Any help (or good free alternative) would be appreciated.

Cheers

The best for newbies is Tunnel Bear as they give you 500MB for free then another gig free if you tweet the program, but the best thing about tunnel bear is the speed and the cleverly easy to use software which is well designed.

But today I just signed up with WiTopia which actually I found recommended in Thai Visa forum by google search. I paid $6.99 for the basic which has a 30 day money back deal, I have not used it enough to decide but if I am not happy with it or if ill cancel it and get a refund.

StrongeVPn seem to be a good recommendation from this forum but I have not tried them.

Edited by Killian30

I have been using Hola with Firefox for about 6 weeks now, for watching telly.... it works really well and it is free.... and does not seem to have any limits.thumbsup.gif

None of the others VPN services I tried, that wanted money worked any better! In this case FREE is good! wink.png

• Like 1

Thanks everybody. Zenmate struck a bell, and sure enough I am registered for them. For some reason it has been disabled on both my computers, but as my chrome goes across them both that is probably why that is. Or perhaps because I installed Wise on the both.

I am pretty sure there are no limits on Zenmate as I have it on all of the time (as I use my computer a lot) and have watched hour after hour of TV streaming through my computer. I think it is a great option, try it if you haven't already

Anyway, problem solved and thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

why not use "Anonymo X"

if your useing FireFox,it's free

Be careful with all those free services. Most of them will create a nice database of your surfing habits etc. to sell the info later to big companies!

I use airvpn.org for 5 euro per month on the 3 month package. Good experience. Can choose many different servers in many countries.

They even allow p2p traffic etc. (although I don't use that). You can also set it up in your router if you like and also on Android etc. Works through openvpn.

Zenmate even works on Android phones. But you have to wonder why they are still giving it away for nothing.

blink.png

See my post just above yours:

"Most of them will create a nice database of your surfing habits etc. to sell the info later to big companies!"

Zenmate even works on Android phones. But you have to wonder why they are still giving it away for nothing.

blink.png

"Most of them will create a nice database of your surfing habits etc. to sell the info later to big companies!"

Except mine is tied to what is known as a "throwaway" email address so I don't really see what use it is to them.

I was thinking more the Ed Snowden type uses of the data to be honest. I mean, how do you know who actually owns Zenmate?

biggrin.png

blink.png

Except mine is tied to what is known as a "throwaway" email address so I don't really see what use it is to them.

I was thinking more the Ed Snowden type uses of the data to be honest. I mean, how do you know who actually owns Zenmate?

biggrin.png

Well, they still can track and log all your activities from your IP address and list that up in a database. A 'throwaway' mail address will not hide anything.

Edward Snowden types will use most likely something way better than some free tool. I agree that many people use Zenmate, but still, how do you know that they are not logging all data?

Why would they offer this for free? Maybe for advertisement income?

Anyway, I use a paid service, which they say they don't log anything. I believe them, but of course I can't be 100% sure as well.

Actually I have nothing to hide, but need to use VPN sometimes to login in some sites, that I can't access without VPN (not because they are blocked in Thailand).

Most of the time (like now) I don't even use my VNP connection.

Well, they still can track and log all your activities from your IP address and list that up in a database. A 'throwaway' mail address will not hide anything.

Edward Snowden types will use most likely something way better than some free tool. I agree that many people use Zenmate, but still, how do you know that they are not logging all data?

Why would they offer this for free? Maybe for advertisement income?

Anyway, I use a paid service, which they say they don't log anything. I believe them, but of course I can't be 100% sure as well.

Actually I have nothing to hide, but need to use VPN sometimes to login in some sites, that I can't access without VPN (not because they are blocked in Thailand).

Most of the time (like now) I don't even use my VNP connection.

Zenmate don't do adverts to my knowledge.

They advertise that they will eventually become a paid service, but they don't seem in much of a hurry.

Like you, I only use it to get round Geoblocking.

geo blocking is my use too, and if you believe that anything you use on the net will stop access to those who want access, you are deluded.e

if you use the net you are allowing people (you don't want) into your lives

geo blocking is my use too, and if you believe that anything you use on the net will stop access to those who want access, you are deluded.e

if you use the net you are allowing people (you don't want) into your lives

Well in fairness, a small bit of it.

wink.png

why not use "Anonymo X"

Be careful with all those free services. Most of them will create a nice database of your surfing habits etc. to sell the info later to big companies!

I use airvpn.org for 5 euro per month on the 3 month package. Good experience. Can choose many different servers in many countries.

They even allow p2p traffic etc. (although I don't use that). You can also set it up in your router if you like and also on Android etc. Works through openvpn.

Only when I did the free trails on the useless paid services, did I start getting spam mail....bah.gif so that is not true...

Hola works well !

why not use "Anonymo X"

Only when I did the free trails on the useless paid services, did I start getting spam mail....bah.gif so that is not true...

Hola works well !

Spam? I didn't talk about spam. The point is that with many of the free services (I don't day all) they are tracking your surfing behavior. If you think that many paid vpn services are useless I think you don't have full knowledge about this. Edited by Cheops

why not use "Anonymo X"

Hola works well !

Spam? I didn't talk about spam. The point is that with many of the free services (I don't day all) they are tracking your surfing behavior. If you think that many paid vpn services are useless I think you don't have full knowledge about this.

you said or someone did ..."to sell the info later to big companies!" As I said I only started get rubbish emails / spam after signing up for these "free trails" I tried various options so cannot say which one.

All I know is that I have been using Hola for two months now, to watch television from various countries.... that is all the knowledge I need.... too many people auguring the toss here on this VPN stuff .... wink.png

why not use "Anonymo X"

Hola works well !

Spam? I didn't talk about spam. The point is that with many of the free services (I don't day all) they are tracking your surfing behavior. If you think that many paid vpn services are useless I think you don't have full knowledge about this.

you said or someone did ..."to sell the info later to big companies!" As I said I only started get rubbish emails / spam after signing up for these "free trails" I tried various options so cannot say which one.

All I know is that I have been using Hola for two months now, to watch television from various countries.... that is all the knowledge I need.... too many people auguring the toss here on this VPN stuff .... wink.png

The point is if you would like to anonymously surf the net don't use any of the free services. If you just want avoid geoblocking Hola seems to work fine ( although they did some experiments with injecting ads into your browser).

You guys paying for this are nuts! There are too many free services out there. But why even use the services anyways? Just surf normally dont even need it.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

No problem. You just keep on using those free services.

Anyway I need the service for example to login into some sites, which block the login from some countries based on geographic location. This is just 1 example.

You guys paying for this are nuts! There are too many free services out there. But why even use the services anyways? Just surf normally dont even need it.

Anyway I need the service for example to login into some sites, which block the login from some countries based on geographic location. This is just 1 example.

You do know what we are talking about above when we refer to "Geoblocking" right?

Which you can easily do with several free services.

And personally I wouldn't trust a paid service not to sell usable tracking data any more that I'd expect a free one to do it.

You do know what we are talking about above when we refer to "Geoblocking" right?

Which you can easily do with several free services.

And personally I wouldn't trust a paid service not to sell usable tracking data any more that I'd expect a free one to do it.

smile.png yes I do. Most likely I use the internet long before you did (before there was a WWW! and before there were ISP's for public services).

Anyway, as said earlier you are free to choose whatever you like, but there are a lot of advantages of paid vpn services, which you may not need.

You can check these sites to read more of just Google for it to see the advantages/disadvantages for free vs paid:

free-vpn-vs-paid-vpn

free-vpn-disadvantage

Indeed, some paid services could also track your traffic, but there are some really good ones as the one I use.

Don't believe me? Just search on Google about some reviews for the VPN service that I use (which I mention in some earlier post).

Edited by Cheops

smile.png yes I do. Most likely I use the internet long before you did (before there was a WWW! and before there were ISP's for public services).

Well if you had an email address in 1978, and access to JPL and the likes, then I guess you did.

wink.png

Well if you had an email address in 1978, and access to JPL and the likes, then I guess you did.

wink.png

clap2.gif ok, you win Chicog. I was 10 in 1978.

I have email since about 1990, which is already way before the normal public had access to the internet. w00t.gif

wink.png

clap2.gif ok, you win Chicog. I was 10 in 1978.

I have email since about 1990, which is already way before the normal public had access to the internet. w00t.gif

I may not be up to date with "agile solutions for leveraging granular social media to revolutionise stakeholder community e-strategies" and all that consultant bollyx, but I know my way around the net.

biggrin.png

• Like 1