Buy a car in T'land

jobin

Thinking of wheels but am only on 90 day O visa, waiting for 'retirement extension'. What are the rules about buying a car here, either new or used? Have only USA, state of GA, license. What about car insurance? Where to register car? How to buy in distant locale and drive to home place, which may be 1K km?

Almost certain to buy a used car as cannot handle the cost or depreciation of new, and i'm not totally ignorant of fixing cars. Any help or comments welcome. Do not recommend any 2 wheeled machine as already have bicycle.

Almost certain to buy a used car as cannot handle the cost or depreciation of new, and i'm not totally ignorant of fixing cars.

Just a friendly suggestion, so please don't take it the wrong way. But if buying a car in Thailand, don't think the same way that you think in the USA. In the USA cars drop significantly once you take it off the new car lot. Doesn't work that way in Thailand. Because of duties and taxes cars are significantly more expensive in Thailand and there is not THAT much of a depreciation (perhaps not at all) for used cars.People often list used cars as much as new cars. In Thailand, unlike the USA, the cost of a mechanic's labor is inexpensive. Take to Somchai, pay a couple hundred baht. This contributes to the fact that the car doesn't depreciate as fast as USA. In USA people don't want to buy old cars because it will be expensive to fix. Not so much a problem in Thailand. In USA, people regularly do routine maintenance such as oil change. In Thailand, not so much. In USA, fairly easy to get a car loan. In Thailand, very difficult for people to qualify for a new car loan. Used car loans at higher interest rates are more prevalent. I.E. people have to buy used cars because that is only loan which they qualify for. This also contributes to the fact that used cars aren't as dirt cheap as they are in the USA.

So it may be in your best interest to buy a new car if it costs the same as a used one. There are really cheap cars available, but they are very very old.

Edited by submaniac
  • Like 1

Your first problem will be getting a "certificate of residence".

Next will be insurance, why would you buy a car and take it elsewhere, who will pay transfer costs, get the seller to bring it to where you live and sort it out.

My first advice, get a proper visa then get a Thai drivers license, then get an address in Thailand, it will make your life so much easier.

As for second hand, read the advice above, that being said, there are some sweet deals around if you take your time and arent too particular about choice of vehicle.

• Like 1

Next will be insurance, why would you buy a car and take it elsewhere, who will pay transfer costs, get the seller to bring it to where you live and sort it out.

My first advice, get a proper visa then get a Thai drivers license, then get an address in Thailand, it will make your life so much easier.

As for second hand, read the advice above, that being said, there are some sweet deals around if you take your time and arent too particular about choice of vehicle.

Actually, he has a proper visa, and getting a Residence Certificate isn't a problem. The U.S. Embassy has a couple of different types, one they issue for applying for Drivers Licenses and another for car purchases, etc. Costs a bit of money, but should take less than an hour, and the necessary appointment with ACS Services.

Agree with getting the Thai DL and your other points.

Thai driving license is a must, for insurance purposes, it's the first thing they ask for in case of an accident, you don't have one, I'm sure they will not cover you.

I may be wrong, but knowing insurance companies, I doubt I am.

It's probably in small print, a valid Thai driving license, not a US or UK license, check it out and make sure you get First Insurance, I case of an accident, you'll be glad you have it. Bail bond etc.....

Thai driving license is a must, for insurance purposes, it's the first thing they ask for in case of an accident, you don't have one, I'm sure they will not cover you.

It's probably in small print, a valid Thai driving license, not a US or UK license, check it out and make sure you get First Insurance, I case of an accident, you'll be glad you have it. Bail bond etc.....

So what happens when you hire a car? There are plenty of people driving, validly, in Thailand with a foreign licence and an International driving permit. My understanding was that the rules say you should get a Thai Licence if you are resident for more than 3 months, and I would certainly advise the OP to get one as he will be resident long term in Thailand, but you cannot be expected to have a Thai Licence on day one of your arrival in Thailand

And in answer to his original question a Non Immigrant O should qualify you to get a letter from Immigration or the Embassy in order to be able to register ownership

As 'Submaniac' says, but depends what you want size wise and how often used, make and model...

For bargains don't look at Toyota or Honda, look at say Ford... a top of the line Focus 2011 model will cost 1/2 new price, 2012 top model Everest will cost 1/2 new price.. Chevy do not hold there price, a 2013 Sonic cost 1/2 the new price for a car 1 year old !! most model Proton's the same.

No idea why as it is a fine looking car Mitsubishi Lancer EX 2012 will cost 1/2 the new price..

Take a Honda Accord 2009 or a 2009 Hyundai Sonata that looks almost the same but cost almost 1/2 of the 2nd hand priced Accord.

If you want a cheap reasonable quality car then look at the Protons. 2nd hand, 2008-9 start at about 140k baht. http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/TbSch3F_40.aspx#mk:52

They are cheap for a reason. Get a new car, they start at around $12,000.

Yep. They are cheap because Thais don't know what they are, and they are from Malaysia not Japan (many Thais bizarrely think the cars are from Japan)

They are decent low cost cars. Are they as good as Toyota or Honda probably not. Are they decent cars for the money. Yes. But buying ANY car requires a test drive and check over!

If you want a cheap reasonable quality car then look at the Protons. 2nd hand, 2008-9 start at about 140k baht. http://www.taladrod.com/w20/Search/TbSch3F_40.aspx#mk:52

They are cheap for a reason. Get a new car, they start at around $12,000.

Yep. They are cheap because Thais don't know what they are, and they are from Malaysia not Japan (many Thais bizarrely think the cars are from Japan)

They are decent low cost cars. Are they as good as Toyota or Honda probably not. Are they decent cars for the money. Yes. But buying ANY car requires a test drive and check over!

Thai friend had a Toyota Wish, did very high KM, needed to change for another new car, not a lot of options for Estate type cars, Bought a new Proton Exora over 3 years ago, yep also done now high KM but its never missed a beat, says may well get the new Turbo model next year as he cannot fault the Proton..

As for the bigger saloon 'Preve' even has 10 Airbags + loads of other extras you do not find on other at this price.... around 500,000 baht for a less than a year old, top model..

They are Malaysian made cars and made out of tinfoil, even in Malaysia everybody with a bit of money and safety concerns avoids them like the plague. I have seen several smallish accidents here where the Proton was a total loss and the other vehicle got away with some scratches.

They are Malaysian made cars and made out of tinfoil, even in Malaysia everybody with a bit of money and safety concerns avoids them like the plague. I have seen several smallish accidents here where the Proton was a total loss and the other vehicle got away with some scratches.
Maybe with the early one's you are correct. Some of the later one's are sold in many western countries and meet all safety requirements. Actually the Preve is one of the few cars under 800k sold here with 10 airbags etc.

I have a few questions concerning your post and some extras.

Certificate or residence : How does this work for someone renting a house ?

Is there a difference between Thai and farang when it comes to a certificate of residence ?

I know I had to get a certificate of residence from immigration in order to get a license but what about a Thai, where would they get such a thing, if they need it ?

Following on from that, what documentation must a Thai produce in order to be registered as the owner of a car ?

buy a car and take it elsewhere, who will pay transfer costs

Does this mean that a (used) car must be registered in the place of residence of the owner ?

Must the owner of the car have a driving license even though they will definitely not be the one doing the driving ?

I see elsewhere that insurance of a used car is transferable to a new owner so that should not be a problem.

• Like 1

So what happens when you hire a car? There are plenty of people driving, validly, in Thailand with a foreign licence and an International driving permit. My understanding was that the rules say you should get a Thai Licence if you are resident for more than 3 months, and I would certainly advise the OP to get one as he will be resident long term in Thailand, but you cannot be expected to have a Thai Licence on day one of your arrival in Thailand

And in answer to his original question a Non Immigrant O should qualify you to get a letter from Immigration or the Embassy in order to be able to register ownership

They will have Insurance that caters to their customers, and covers them in case of accidents, it will be a different policy.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't buy a new Ford Ranger "High Rider" in Thailand...

1. Can't get parts for repair. I did some damage with a concrete post 7 weeks ago that damaged the fuel door, the left rear door handle and the rail that you need to step on to get into the car if you're normal height. Made the insurance claim 2 days later and sent to a body shop. The body shop ordered the necessary parts and they still haven't arrived. That's piss poor customer support. I get the impression that they don't want to give up any of those parts because they can use them to produce another vehicle and make a lot more money. They simply don't give a shit about taking care of the people who've already bought.

2. Too big. They are too wide, too high, and too long. The vehicle is fine on the expressways but when you have to negotiate narrow sois with parked cars, motorbikes coming towards you or even something simple like negotiating through a narrow gate, it's very easy to damage because they are too damned wide and visibility is extremely poor due to the large rearview mirrors on the side, the massibe post for the windshield, tinted windows, etc. If I could go back in time, I would not consider the Ford Ranger.

If you want to buy a new pickup, Toyota has the largest dealer network and I doubt you have to wait half your lifetime for the repair facility to receive the necessary parts.

Would not surprise me at all if Ford has the parts in stock and is willing to deliver, but the repairshop has to wait for the same parts parallel imported by the insurance company to save a few dime.

They are hardly wider than a standard sedan BTW.

Edited by stevenl

Don't buy a new Ford Ranger "High Rider" in Thailand...

1. Can't get parts for repair. I did some damage with a concrete post 7 weeks ago that damaged the fuel door, the left rear door handle and the rail that you need to step on to get into the car if you're normal height. Made the insurance claim 2 days later and sent to a body shop. The body shop ordered the necessary parts and they still haven't arrived. That's piss poor customer support. I get the impression that they don't want to give up any of those parts because they can use them to produce another vehicle and make a lot more money. They simply don't give a shit about taking care of the people who've already bought.

2. Too big. They are too wide, too high, and too long. The vehicle is fine on the expressways but when you have to negotiate narrow sois with parked cars, motorbikes coming towards you or even something simple like negotiating through a narrow gate, it's very easy to damage because they are too damned wide and visibility is extremely poor due to the large rearview mirrors on the side, the massibe post for the windshield, tinted windows, etc. If I could go back in time, I would not consider the Ford Ranger.

If you want to buy a new pickup, Toyota has the largest dealer network and I doubt you have to wait half your lifetime for the repair facility to receive the necessary parts.

Did you or the repair company order the parts?

Have you tried ordering the parts yourself?

Would not surprise me at all if Ford has the parts in stock and is willing to deliver, but the dealer has to wait for the same parts parallel imported by the insurance company to save a few dime.

They are hardly wider than a standard sedan BTW.

I don't reckon they will be buying cheap knock off parts from China for the Ranger.

I sell parts (genuine) for the Ranger back into Aus. Took 5 weeks to get Left Hand Headlights yet Right hand ones were available the next day..... Makes it hard to keep delivery promises on my end.

Yesterday I ordered Left Hand Drive steering column and pedal assemblies, they will be delivered to me on Monday. I guess parts that are not in demand are more readily available.

Edited by Spoonman