Junta earmarks Bt800 million to tackle drought and flooding

Lite Beer

Junta earmarks Bt800 million to tackle drought and flooding
The Sunday Nation 

BANGKOK: -- More than 100 projects approved and NCPO says work well advanced on some

The junta has approved an Bt800-million budget to tackle drought and flooding across the country.

Approval was given at yesterday's meeting of the ruling National Council for Peace and Order's economic team.

General Chatchai Sarikalaya, deputy head of the economic team, said the measure was part of the water management master plan to be revealed later this year. He chaired the meeting at Army headquarters.

Engineering soldiers have been assigned to help carry out 105 projects so far and some 30 per cent of the work has been completed, Chatchai said.

He stressed that the engineers were ready to be mobilised to do more work together with six agencies, which were assigned the work on July 25.

He said the teams undertaking the jobs were fully equipped so the work could be done efficiently.

During the meeting, Chatchai said the issue of flooding in the Northeast and East was raised including how flood water could be channelled out of affected areas. Drought issues were also discussed.

The Ministry of Natural Resources and the Environment is spearheading a project in which underground water will be used to help alleviate drought problems. The ministry will work with local administrative bodies.

"The NCPO chief has stressed that we have to be careful in tackling flood and drought problems and to carry out the work effectively as well as transparently," Chatchai said, adding that surveys are being conducted so reservoirs could be built near dams for consumption and agricultural use.

He said the Bt800 million budget was being used while the water resources management master plan was being prepared by a team of experts in such a way that it would cover all water-related problems.

It would be the most complete water resources management master plan ever.

Another meeting of the economic team has been scheduled for next month.

Chatchai said provincial governors in all 77 provinces would be assigned to inspect the work and report to the economic team in order to ensure that projects proceeded in a systematic fashion.

Areas earmarked for special attention during the meeting include border provinces Ubon Ratchathani and Prachin Buri.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Junta-earmarks-Bt800-million-to-tackle-drought-and-30241089.html

[thenation]2014-08-17[/thenation]

"It would be the most complete water resources management master plan ever."

I though of this guy when I read that!

[attachment=279562:CropperCapture34.jpg]

Cum on folks, he looks a little Thai....yes?

• Like 1

Seems crazy doesn't it,  drought and flooding in the same sentence ?

Flooding and drought are just two sides of the same coin - that is why it is not flood management or drought management but water management.

I am glad to see that they are picking up on the idea of using the underground aquifers as a vast "water tank" storage.- hopefully based on the GISTDA scheme to pump water from the reservoirs int the aquifers during the rainy season and to pump it out in a managed way during the dry season.

75% of fresh water in the reservoirs is lost through precipitation, and so harvesting this natural resource, and protecting the aquifers from just being a source of water pumped out causing subsidence, is a good idea but needs some complex engineering and management.

It is hoped that this new plan will do away with the proposed forecasting and management system by Loxley/AGT at a cost of 4Bn, which, as far as I could tell from a limited review,their system was not adequate in terms of Meteo and GIS input data.

There's clearly a role for army-engineers, to take some of the squaddies doing their national-service, and carry-out construction/improvement-work of many kinds.

Thus helping the poorer parts of the country, and giving the kids useful skills, at the same time ?

Proper budgets will be needed, for any such scheme, since promises & B350-billion from PTP have obviously not solved these problems yet !

But a tropical country, with a monsoon-season, is likely always to suffer from water-management challenges, perhaps more dams/hydro-schemes are also needed, reducing the current dependance on imported-energy ?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Seems crazy doesn't it,  drought and flooding in the same sentence ?

Happens everywhere NKK Australia can have snow , floods , fire and drought all in the same day.

complete water resources management, master plan B

Where did the other billions go that PTP spent ??? on water management./projects/flood prevention

That was the idea but if it was ALL spent on that, why on Earth would you ask me? I have no special drunk friend who "knows these things"

Where did the other billions go that PTP spent ??? on water management./projects/flood prevention

That was the idea but if it was ALL spent on that, why on Earth would you ask me? I have no special drunk friend who "knows these things"

????  don't get your knickers in a knot, Quote "spent on that " ??? general conversation --sorry I spoke.  want to stay alone and not have anyone post to you---fine.

????  don't get your knickers in a knot, Quote "spent on that " ??? general conversation --sorry I spoke.  want to stay alone and not have anyone post to you---fine.

I'm always defensive when responding to you ginjag! I don't mean to be but you're quite regimented in your views and anything you don't like seems to immediately go into political meltdown followed by "red tinted" glasses type of comments. I thought this was going to be the start of one of those conversations! No offence was meant

I'm always defensive when responding to you ginjag! I don't mean to be but you're quite regimented in your views and anything you don't like seems to immediately go into political meltdown followed by "red tinted" glasses type of comments. I thought this was going to be the start of one of those conversations! No offence was meant

Yes my grandfather was a colour sergeant at HM. trooping of the colour, I do not mind having controlled background.

I wish people would get what I am wishing, anything that isn't remotely related to Thaksin----anything that is better for Thais in the future, including this army rule at the minute.

You see I am not really bothered if it is or is not real/proper/Thaistyle/democracy.   Just easier living good governance, less problems.

• Like 1