Visa in old passport

Ok, so, I have a question regarding visas and new passports. I currently have a non Imm b visa and a work permit. I am looking to relocate to Phuket, therefore quiting my job, therefore losing my work permit. If I'm right I would have to leave the country in 24 hours.

I have an appointment to renew my passport (only 2 pages left) on Wednesday. My problem is that I have worked legally in Thailand and have had 2 separate non b's and work permits but whilst I was travelling I made over 3 border runs to Cambodia. So in the eyes of immigration when I leave and try to come back on a 30 day I will be refused entry.

Am I right in thinking that if I renew my passport, then once I've received it, quit my job, leave Thailand with both my passports and apply for a tourist visa in Malaysia on my new passport , I will be granted entry no questions asked?

Then once I am in Thailand I can look for work then change my tourist into a non b and start the process again.

if u have a non b VISA it does not expire when your wp is cancelled

if you have an EXTENSION, it does

If your on an extension you will be fined 500 baht/day for overstay while you wait for new passport,

why not go out NOW and come back with a tourist visa, than your good for 60 days, ( just fly down to Penang an than back up to Phuket)

apply for your new passport once your back (you didn't say what nationality )

Move to Phuket and seek work

You don't have 24 hours to leave it is till midnight on the date you extension is cancelled.

You could still get a visa exempt entry your old ones would not be counted.

You can get a tourist visa which would be the best option.

Sorry I forgot to mention. I'm British. My extension doesn't expire until January.

The reason I am renewing my passport is because I don't want to be refused entry when immigration see I have over 3 visa runs.

Would it be possible to re enter on a new passport and start from scratch so to speak.

As I said those old entries do not count. The are only counting new entries back to back. Not a total from the past.

Immigration has a database that will show your past history when you get a new passport because it will have the same name and date as your old one.

As for the passport office in the UK and the backlog and the possibility now of strikes, I think the best solution would be to round them all up very early in the morning from their beds and line the entire lot of them up against a wall and be done with these workshy jobsworths once and for all!

A bit extreme, but something needs doing....

And what about the price difference between the 2 sizes...! GBP13 for an extra 16 pages (read 8 small bits of paper!). When did paper get so expensive???!!!!!

My extension ends in January but will be looking to leave in October? Should I ask for a letter/stamp connecting my 2 passports together or is that not necessary?

You need to cancel your extension before leaving. You could get a 7 day extension when you do that. You could get the stamps transferred to you new passport when you do this.

Where do I cancel my extension? What stamps would I transfer? Can I transfer stamps into new passport so I can stay until january?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm not up to scratch with this topic ("o)

If you are going to continue working till January you can go to immigration and they will transfer your extension stamp to your new passport. You can then get a re-entry permit for your trip out.

If you are going to stop working you go to immigration with a letter from you employer stating the date you job will end and they will cancel your extension,

No problem but once you get to Thailand go to Immigration and they will move your visa into your new passport but don't bother if there's just a short stay left on it.

Visas are never moved from one passport to another. You carry both passports until the visa in the old passport expires.

Only the visa number is written next to your entry stamp with type of visa in your new passport

You are generally asked to show the the visa in the old passport when you enter Thailand.

Don't know about extensions

Wrong, I moved mine with no problem at Chiang Mai. A total of two plus pages of stamps.

They stamp the new passport to show information about your extensions, your last entry into the country and information about the original visa. They DO NOT move the visa.

If you are here for a short time on a tourist visa, you just carry both passports. If you are here on extensions of stay they will stamp the new passport with all relevant information from the old passport. They DO NOT move/transfer visas.

Stamps are not visas. Extensions of stay are not visas.

Edited by Suradit69

No problem but once you get to Thailand go to Immigration and they will move your visa into your new passport but don't bother if there's just a short stay left on it.

Visas are never moved from one passport to another. You carry both passports until the visa in the old passport expires.

Only the visa number is written next to your entry stamp with type of visa in your new passport

You are generally asked to show the the visa in the old passport when you enter Thailand.

Well, perhaps things have changed, but every time in the past when I got a new (U.S.A.) passport, Immigration put a stamp with the old visa info in my new passport. My case may differ from yours in that I've been on non-imm visas since 1982 and my new passports have all been obtained in Bangkok. The embassy always gave me a letter for Immigration requesting the service. Guess it would depend on what kind of visa you have and whether or not you keep extending it. If you're on a retirement or support of Thai national visa which is renewed year after year they would pretty much have to "move" it. Unless things have changed since 2006, when I last got a new passport, of course.

Well, perhaps things have changed, but every time in the past when I got a new (U.S.A.) passport, Immigration put a stamp with the old visa info in my new passport. My case may differ from yours in that I've been on non-imm visas since 1982 and my new passports have all been obtained in Bangkok. The embassy always gave me a letter for Immigration requesting the service. Guess it would depend on what kind of visa you have and whether or not you keep extending it. If you're on a retirement or support of Thai national visa which is renewed year after year they would pretty much have to "move" it. Unless things have changed since 2006, when I last got a new passport, of course.

When you get a new passport, on request, and often on the required presentation of the pro forma transfer letter from your Embassy Thai immigration will transfer any valid admission/extension/re-entry stamps (all of which will have been issued within Thailand).

You almost certainly do not now have a non immigrant visa, which would have been issued at a Thai Consular Facility out side of Thailand.

Visas are never transferred and if still valid need to be shown in their original passport when you enter the country that visa remains valid for..

However the details of the last visa you had been issued with prior to your extension (or continuous series of extensions) will be noted, along with the associated entry stamp details, on the transfer of your current extension stamps, but do not constitute a valid visa per se.

To save this topic going on forever if you get a new passport just go to the appropriate Immigration office and they will transfer the old details into your new passport.

For example the is no such thing as a Retirement Visa it is an Extension of Stay but everyone calls it a Retirement Visa.

smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

"New passport sent to me by post from UK, Samui immigration insisted I needed a letter from British Embassy confirming legitimacy of passport and then immigration transferred my retirement extension along with stamps that referenced my original O visa and my old passprt details."

I just noticed this comment....why on earth would you have to get a letter from the embassy saying the passport is legitimate, it would be much easier to forge a bloody letter than a complete passport.

Is this stupid idea only at one immigration office or have they all taken leave of their senses??

"New passport sent to me by post from UK, Samui immigration insisted I needed a letter from British Embassy confirming legitimacy of passport and then immigration transferred my retirement extension along with stamps that referenced my original O visa and my old passprt details."

I just noticed this comment....why on earth would you have to get a letter from the embassy saying the passport is legitimate, it would be much easier to forge a bloody letter than a complete passport.

Is this stupid idea only at one immigration office or have they all taken leave of their senses??

A significant number of Thai Immigration Departments require the same Embassy Passport transfer Pro Forma.

Yes it's stupid, but most countries do provide the document as standard for their citizens on passport renewal and we all know how Thai officials love their paper - so there you go.

Only good bit is that the British Embassy do this letter for free.

Your problem however may be this, I note that you said that the new passport was 'sent to you by post from the UK', which means you have somehow bypassed the system and fudged a UK based application, so you may have problems getting said pro forma from the Embassy in BKK.

Edited by digitalchromakey