Is it possible to get a work permit and what paperwork is required?

I am on a retirement extension for 12 months, and have been asked by a UK company to represent them at meetings, and attend trade shows and exhibitions, on shared stands. Before I agree, is it feasible for me to obtain a work permit and still retain my retirement extension? If so, what paperwork do I need and where do I apply? I am resident in Bangna. I will be paid in the UK and pay UK tax.

Thanks in advance

No, you cannot retain your retirement extension. On that a WP would simply not be issued.

You would need to obtain non-B visa broad and travel to Thailand on that and apply for a work permit, which will be difficult as you need a Thai employer. Tradeshows etc for a short time (maximum 15 days) might be exempted from a WP, but in that case would still need a non-B visa and you would not be able to get extensions of stay.

Thank you Mario, I have no intention of leaving Thailand, so will turn the UK company down

There is a special kind of Non-B visa that is intended for business travellers to Thailand and I believe its valid for one year. Technically you are not working but you should be able to attend trade shows as a representative under that visa scheme. I believe these can be obtained at Thai Embassies in Europe. You would need proper paperwork from the company explaining why you need the visa.

I am afraid I don't have an answer for you but it has got me wondering if you can have two visa's running at the same time, so you maintain your retirement extension in parallel to a second visa with the work permit attached.

I have been in this situation in the past, though my second visa was not a retirement one in my case but it may have been more through accident than the correct way to do things.

It might also be worth talking to the UK embassy as they also have schemes to support UK business's in Thailand including part time mentors for new UK business looking to explore Thai opportunities, there may be some exception rules they are aware of where your contribution could result in business gains for Thailand.