Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun! (inc photos)

canarysun

A few years ago, I travelled to Chiang Mai from Bangkok. As it was so relatvely inexpensive to do so, I travelled First Class.

The food provided was OK (but only OK) and as i was neither expecting nor requiring a meal, I was not unduly disappointed.

The cabin was cosy in size but the aircon was just too cold and with no control switch.

The bunk beds were not particularly comfortable (but that may have been contributed too by my lass insisting on us sharing a bunk designed for one rather, than our taking a bunk each). Not a wink of sleep was snatched. sad.png.pagespeed.ce.5zxzyGiJz0.png

In retrospect, I would probably go Second Class, next time.

The thing is, my daughter will soon be travelling solo from Bangkok to Chiang Mai and has decided to do so by train.

My main concern with the First Class cabins is her security. I met a few people in the corridor when nipping to the loo etc., as we were in the end carriage and people would congregate at the open window of the back door in order to grab a smoke and have a chat, away from those sleeping in the main carriages. The idea arose that it would be easy for a single female, sleeping in a carriage alone, might be targeted for theft from (or worse).

Should I advise her to travel in a Second Class "sleeper-seat" where at least their are other people around and she would not be isolated, in the event of a "problem" arising?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks. Duggsie smile.png

I would fly her there.

Win, done that trip, wife now flies up there and I drive my car. I stop in Tak for the night from BKK or Kan and then wife takes the flight the next day. We meet up and all is well as we have our own wheels to take us around. Coming back, which ever way is easy, I drive, my wife has here choice. wub.png

Win thumbsup.gif

For myself flying to Chiang Mai is now reasonable ( I paid 600 baht with Thai Lion Air a few months back) but flying is not the most exciting way to travel! The train is one of the most " adventurous & exciting ways to travel to Chiang Mai with some stunning scenery on the way! I have traveled First Class a few years ago but to be honest a simple seat in an ordinary carriage would be perfect for me and at just 270 baht you get a " seriously cool adventure " for your money! But in answer to your question Mr Duggsie I think a " Second Class Sleeper would be a better idea as much more comfortable and more sociable too!

Kind Regards,

Casey Jones

I have always loved the trains in Thailand. Strange that Ive never talked to another farang that liked train travel! If not flying, they take the bus. I avoid the bus whenever possible. The bus scares me the way they drive.

Also, I prefer 3rd class. The air con is like a bus seat, wheras on 3rd class you can get up, walk around, change seats and talk to other passengers. Ive met a lot of very nice down to earth people on the train.

Yes, trains are slow and often late. Im sure this is a concern to many people, but Im never in a hurry, Im retired, and the problems we encounter here in Thailand, I like to think of as an adventure.

Im planning a small trip soon from Khon Kaen to Nong Khai. Its only 3 hours, very pleasant scenery and usually friendly fellow passengers. A night or 2 in Nong Khai and then the train back.

I would suggest anyone just try a short trip. You may be surprised.

Been on both the bus and the train Khon Kaen to Nong Khai, better on the train, also went from Nong Khai to BKK on the train.. Hope to do more train trips..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ayutthaya - Kanchanaburi 3 Day Trip ! " All Aboard Viewers " !!

Hello again Viewers! ( thank you for " tuning in " once again.... )

Well due to " serious financial turbulence & a broken Lumix camera " i haven't been able to take part in any Train Adventures recently viewers! So for myself it was " great excitement " when 2 of my good friends arrived at my front door and quite simply said " Pack your bag! - we are off on an adventure.........."

We have visited these places before in previous posts but i thought i would share my adventure with you all!

We took the 08.30 Express Train out of Bangkok's Hua Lampong railway station and made our way to Ayutthaya ( with the " wind in our hair " viewers..) The Train costs a cool 20 Baht and takes about 90 minutes.On arrival in Ayutthaya we found rooms opposite the railway station from 150 Baht for the night but ended up in a lovely room for just 300 Baht ( Fully loaded with all luxuries inc hot water viewers! ) A fabulous day was spent outside in the sun exploring all the great parks and temples ( with some " adult banter " on the way...) Quite a nice selection of places to eat in the evening just opposite the railway station.

The next day it was time to change locations and visit Kanchanaburi ! There is no Train (unfortunately that goes across country so you need to take a bus ( or minibus ) to Suphanburi to get a connecting bus to take you to Kanchanaburi ( 50 Baht ) Fabulous scenery all the way viewers! wonderful colours and everything very clean ( apart from my gags...),

From the bus station in Kanchanaburi its a 30 minute stroll to to the main " tourist drag " with some fabulous rooms on the water.You can find rooms from 150 baht but worth paying the 350 baht for a fabulous room " floating on water " ( it should be noted viewers that if you are staying in these " Water Raft Rooms " and have the pleasure to be staying next door to a " romantic couple " then you must expect that your bed will also be " rockin' on water " - a fabulous experience may i add ( Ladies kind respect where due...)

There are two trains running daily from Kanchanaburi to Bangkok's Thonburi (Bangkok Noi ) Railway station at a cost of 100 Baht. It makes a great 3 day trip and i would recommend it to all of you! I have attached some photos from the trip that i took on my Lenovo Mobile phone i hope you like them!

Until next time viewers!

Farang jaidee ( " on the tracks " ) wai2.gif

Nice to see you out and about again.. Great photos..

• Like 1

Khun canarysun, I enjoy your post very much. Thank you for sharing your holiday by train experience. I will also do so when I am finally done riding my bike around Thailand. I am still exploring the trails less travelled after 2decades and countless thousands of kilometers on tarmac :-) .. cheers.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Love your post OP, Canarysun. I love trins too, the same slow rides u go on. Im gonna use the trains more next time I see Thailand. Theres so many motifs while slow travel. I use very often slow analog film in my cameras, thats fits this way of transport.

keep up!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree OP. The train is very relaxed and has been our choice to travel long distances for years (though I didnt know there was no beer anymore). Only problem I've had with it was the smoke and fires track side from Korat to Bkk during the April -May season....the wife will not put the kids through it again during the dry season.

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

i wonder if you can help me

i have recently joined the forum but i do not know how to post a topic

can you tell me how

thenk you

For questions like this, please go to this forum:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/forum/19-forum-support-desk/

When you get there, there is a button on the right in black that says "start new topic". Click it, add a title and have fun!

Im thinking of doing a train trip to Nong Kai, via Kohn Kaen and Udon. I live in Chaiyaphum and thinking of possibly picking up the train in Chaturat if it stops there.

Does anyone know if there is a time table or somewhere I can find some information in English preferably. Also hoping to get a first class or sleeper if possible.

Can anyone help?

Hi

Does anybody have experience of taking a bicycle on the train?

What is the cost? Procedure? Possible from all stations? All trains or only some?

Also ferries to islands with own bike... possible?

Thanks

Sailbad the sinner

Hello Viewer.....

Yes you can take bicycles on some of the trains! It has always been possible.Recently they have increased the prices on all of these " luxury extras ".I was having a chat with the Station Master ( a bloody nice bloke ) a few weeks ago at Pattaya Railway Station and he was saying that the train from Pattaya to Bangkok was 31 baht ( reasonable price for a 4 hour journey ) but i am sure he said that to take a bicycle would be an extra 190 baht ( approx price as my memory is fading viewers....)

I also enjoy riding a bicycle and have reviewed the situation and i think that if you will be travelling a lot by train then buying one of these " fold away bikes " might be a good idea! They can fold into a bag and some even come with high powered batteries too! ( perfect for the " lazy farang "-There are quite a few..... ) That way you are boarding a train with just an " overnight bag "

a cool idea viewers....?

( a new " super cool 007 style fold away bicycle " (inc battery power for " full throttle " ) will cost you around 25,000 Thai Baht..........)

Do you have a wild imagination Viewers.....?

Farang Jaidee ( " away from the tracks " ) thumbsup.gif x

Always wondered why no water in toilet till I felt the breeze hit my butt while unloading Just hope no one was close to track at the time.cheesy.gif Would be bad time for the daily derailment Which new railroad boss says won't happen again or at least get reported to the news.

• 2 weeks later...

I have looked over the post but wondered if anyone could help me, is there a train from Bangkok to surin isan? Any help would be greatly appreciated

There are 9 trains a day that run out of Bangkok's Hua Lampong Railway Station and the cost is from just a cool 73 baht. I would recommend paying just a little bit more and go for the " Rapid Train " or the " Special Express " Trains for a " smoooooother ride " .........

F.J wai2.gif x

Thank you for your help, could I ask if you know how long it takes from Bangkok to surin by train? I have done the trip by car and bus Etc but thought we would try the train this time

Dear Viewer!

If you take the Special Express Train then it will take just over 6 hours.

enjoy your trip!

F.J wai2.gif x

• Like 1