Travelling by train in Thailand - It's so much fun! (inc photos)

canarysun

• 2 weeks later...

hi there

i wonder if you can help me

i have recently joined the forum but i do not know how to post a topic

can you tell me how

thenk you

Go to the index page of the topics

go to the index page of the topic you want to post in.

then on thetop right there is a button post new topic.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sukhothai : ( historical park ) " All Aboard viewers! "

Hello Viewers and greetings to you all !

Here is another fab trip i went on last year i thought i would share it with you all !

From Bangkok's Hua Lampong station i caught the 07.00 train ( Rapid ) to Phitsanulok at a cool 179 baht ( ordinary trains from just 69 baht ) I chose the Rapid train as it is a long 6 hour journey!

A long train ride with some great scenery as always with some great buddha temples and interesting things all hidden away in the mountains so keep your eyes on the scenery!

On my arrival at Phitsanulok ( a big train station with friendly Railway Staff ) i then headed to the bus station and caught a nice old cheap bus to Sukhothai ( about a 1 hour journey ) which took me to " The end of the world " ( well it felt like it! ) I found a nice new room for 200 baht, a 7 eleven and a restaurant ( shack style ) offering delicious Thai meals for around 30 baht ( standard prices in Thailand ) I booked in for 2 nights ( zzzzzzzzzz )

The next morning up " with the lark " at 05.00 and caught the bus to the " Historical Park " about 35 minutes away. Sukhothai itself didn't excite me but the Historical Park was " absolutely fabulous " infact it was " stunning " free entrance and you will need at least 4 hours of walking about or you can rent a " cool bicycle " for a few baht from close by.Take a picnic lunch and enjoy this delightful location ! Don't you just love picnics viewers???

All in all it was well worth the long journey and i came back with some nice photos too! Here are just a few of my photos from my adventure! i hope you like them !

see you on another train adventure soon viewers.......

Farang Jaidee ( " on the tracks " )wub.png

A few years ago I attended an Asian festival here in the USA that turned out to be mostly Thai in Reston, Virginia, at a lake and some sort of tennis club. Great outdoor show of several cultures. Thai Tourist bureau had a booth and I saw a brochure about Sukhothai. So on my next trip to Thailand I went to Bangkok, and took a bus up to Sukhothai. Very pleasant 6 hour ride with a stop for lunch in the middle of the trip. I stayed in a fine little place not far from the "night market". 250 baht a night as I recall. Plain Jane but all I needed. Sukhothai park ruins were great. Very serene, peaceful. I walked all over but one could rent a bike. Sukhothai city didn't get explored much. There was an internet cafe around the corner from the little night market and that sufficed my short check in, email etc. Tried a restaurant or two and they were fine. Nothing special and I am sure there were better ones that I did not see. Great bus ride looking out the window. I went in December and the nights were quite cool needing a blanket to stay warm at night (no GF with me at the time). Day time was perfect for walking around with shorts on.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Today(21/05/14), I expect to finish my dental treatment in Bkk…., I'll be able to get out and about…, I've always loved a train journey and like the OP, I believe my enjoyment is magnified if I converse and hopefully connect with fellow travelers…., best way to learn.
I have 4/5 days. I like a soft seat and a bed….., and enjoy seeing mountains and a splash under(a relatively unpolluted) waterfall or 2.
All non smart arse suggestions welcome !

Edited by Sandy Freckle

I want to be able to use the train in Chaturat (near Chaiyaphum) but have been unable to find somewhere to leave my car. Even offered local BIB some tea money to leave at the station but no go. Too hard to get there by taxi too

Today(21/05/14), I expect to finish my dental treatment in Bkk…., I'll be able to get out and about…, I've always loved a train journey and like the OP, I believe my enjoyment is magnified if I converse and hopefully connect with fellow travelers…., best way to learn.

I have 4/5 days. I like a soft seat and a bed….., and enjoy seeing mountains and a splash under(a relatively unpolluted) waterfall or 2.

All non smart arse suggestions welcome !

A name like 'Sandy Freckle' and you're hoping not to get any smart arse replies. biggrin.png

Sandy Arse replies are OK then I suppose? smile.png

Edit: Speeling

Edited by moojar

OK this ain't Thailand but I would hum this music by Ravi Shankar when I frequently took the 3rd class train from Khon Kaen to Nong Kha for multiple-entry visa (cross into PDR Lao for 30 minutes then return). Ben Kingsley won Best Actor 'Oscar' for his role as Gandhi in 1983.

Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Viewers!

Travelling by train is not for everybody! but for sure it is for " adventurers " If you want to explore Thailand then its the best way.Nobody is in a rush and you will meet " some of life's characters " on the way.... I very often used to take the afternoon train from Pattaya to Bangkok ( 31 baht ) it really didn't matter that it took 4 hours because i was on there for the love and excitement of it all! fabulous scenery,lovely old train stations and you really do get the wind in your hair.I have met most of the Station Masters at so many of the railway stations in Thailand and have all been " most polite to the highest order "

why don't some of you come along and give it a go?

and if you do see an Eccentric Englishman wearing a panama hat then it's probably me.......

Greetings!

wai2.gif

If i do see you, i will speak to you, as you sound an interesting chap, and you seem always happy go lucky, which is nice to see and hear.. Enjoy your train journeys.... i agree its a great way to travel and see Thailand and its Beauty..

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

1st class trains or air conditioning & durians don't go well together: Traveled Bangkok to Singapore by day trains to see the wonderful green malay archipelago. In Penang Malaysia bought 1 expensive small uncut spiky Durian. We were traveling 1st class. Several minutes out of train station the 1st class car started to really stink. We decided to take our back packs into the non-air conditioned section for rest of the trip & the foul smell went away. Craved Japanese food upon arrival in Singapore so we found restaurant. After sitting down the staff told us we had to leave our durian outside, oh.. ok... seemed weird, but no problem...staff took the bag, we ordered our food

Checked into hotel that had cold air conditioned rooms... wow.. that same terrible stink started right up as we unpacked & my wife & I laughed about our stupidity of trying to avoid the stench of 1st class train... we/the durian were the cause of that stink.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

You are joking of course. Usually an hour late getting into the station and another hour late if you are lucky at your destination. A 5 hour journey usually turns into an 8 hour trip. Sellers of various foods, usually the smelly variation, getting on and off ,shouting as they go and don't get me started on the state of the toilets. Everything is old and tacky,but you are right, it's cheap, and it needs to be.

I am counting on the train arriving late at Bkk next month. If it arrived on time I'd have to pay extra for an hotel room for an early check in.

Hi.we will be traveling to Pattaya this coming October..I was wondering what is the easiest way to travel by land from Pattaya to phonm phen..

I would gladly appreciate an information for safe way because will be travelibg with my daughter's and not expensive to travel by land..

Hi.we will be traveling to Pattaya this coming October..I was wondering what is the easiest way to travel by land from Pattaya to phonm phen..

I would gladly appreciate an information for safe way because will be travelibg with my daughter's and not expensive to travel by land..

I would take the bus to Trat. Spend a night there. From there you can cross into Cambodia and go onwards to Phnom Penh by bus or take the boat to Sinoukville and visit the beach before going to PP.

Easiest and fastest way is a flight from DMK and if you have a cheap airfare on Air Asia it might be the cheapest way also.

• 2 months later...

I would try it if they could stay on the rails! I think last year there was around 200 derailments (maybe more) and I saw the Orient Express just "fell" of the rails a few weeks back.

And of course those nice luxurious aircon busses are just sooooooo good at staying on the roads. Better a derailment at 30kmh than a tyre blown or a truck on the wrong side of the road on a blind corner at 110kph.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I will be arriveing at Don Mueng at 1905 on the 27/04 2016. Will I be able to get a train from Don Mueng train station to Chiang Mai? Do the trains going north pick up at this station? According to the train info they all drop off here.

Yes, I believe all CM bound trains stop at DM. Google "train don muang to chiang mai" and look at the 1st result from TripAdvisor. Lots of useful info there. You would be well advised to book your tickets in advance.

• 1 month later...