Reaction to Loud Music

luckizuchinni

What you should have done is to just get a Thia to make a phone call to the authorities failing which you should make a call. Why go looking for trouble in your car? When music starts and do not stop it means that the people there are either drunk on booze or high on drugs.

My home sound system is just as loud as any Night Club in Pattaya, so I don't have this problem. Its normally the Thais in my village complaining about my music being too loud. I just tell them to F off, and tell them to stop letting their bananas and coconuts grow over my fence or I will cut them down and eat them. cheesy.gifpartytime2.gif

Knowing the language fairly well has helped me understand that contrary to common belief, noise can indeed bother Thai folks from children to elderly. Don't think the kid on the extra loud motorcycle gunning it through the village isn't chastised by neighbors in private. And you can see in the first post here that other neighbors were annoyed in this instance, but did not complain. That is just their way--everyone does what they want and no one complains. Thai tolerance is deeply cultural. But I would also agree some noises are tuned out. For instance, at an early age the school loudspeakers blaring at kids playing outside everyday is ignored and forgotten. But It teaches impressionable children a lesson they keep for life that is it is appropriate anytime you have a group of people to turn on music to the maximum volume and don't care it disturbs hundreds of others forced to listen to it. I also enjoyed the link khrab posted to articles about noise in SE Asia. How true.

First I'd like to say that there seems to be a lot of people here missing a backbone. Move...go on a trip etc. Really, grow some balls.

Secondly I sympathize with the OP. The kind of behavior (loud noise over many days) he describes may have been OK 200 years ago when Thais lived in small villages of wooden houses on stilts and worked all day in the fields. But it is 2014 and people like the OP live in densely populated urban areas. Thais too live in these areas enjoying the benefits of running water, electricity, jobs, hospitals etc etc. Their attitudes must change also. It is inconsiderate and selfish to behave in the way that the OP describes. If they want to have a party and make loud noise over many days they should be the ones to move away and find somewhere they can behave like that without disturbing others.

First I'd like to say that there seems to be a lot of people here missing a backbone. Move...go on a trip etc. Really, grow some balls.

Secondly I sympathize with the OP. The kind of behavior (loud noise over many days) he describes may have been OK 200 years ago when Thais lived in small villages of wooden houses on stilts and worked all day in the fields. But it is 2014 and people like the OP live in densely populated urban areas. Thais too live in these areas enjoying the benefits of running water, electricity, jobs, hospitals etc etc. Their attitudes must change also. It is inconsiderate and selfish to behave in the way that the OP describes. If they want to have a party and make loud noise over many days they should be the ones to move away and find somewhere they can behave like that without disturbing others.

and do you have a suggestion as to how this will be made to happen?

Make them pay taxes for the above facilities so they have to go to work instead of sitting around drunk all day and night ?

Make them pay taxes for the above facilities so they have to go to work instead of sitting around drunk all day and night ?

you think noisy thais dont work?? lol

Can't beat em, join em. drunk.gifintheclub.gif

Except in this case "joining them" means hanging with them for about 15 minutes until they ask you to buy a case of Chang. This right here is probably the single biggest barrier for me and why I know so few Thais. I am sure they don't care, neither do I to be honest.

Except in this case "joining them" means hanging with them for about 15 minutes until they ask you to buy a case of Chang. This right here is probably the single biggest barrier for me and why I know so few Thais. I am sure they don't care, neither do I to be honest.

nor should you. there are lots of sober thais to hang out with

• Like 1

you think noisy thais dont work?? lol

The all day and night party ones ?

I know what you mean but how many Thais that either earn enough to pay taxes or work 12 hours 6 or seven day a week are up all day and night drinking with loud music ?

Ok then there is their dogs, oh gawd their dogs !

The all day and night party ones ?

I know what you mean but how many Thais that either earn enough to pay taxes or work 12 hours 6 or seven day a week are up all day and night drinking with loud music ?

Ok then there is their dogs, oh gawd their dogs !

farmers, after the harvest or during weddings and funerals.

Education...but then I'd bet there were a few teachers at the party as well as plenty of parents whose children couldn't get to sleep.

Education...but then I'd bet there were a few teachers at the party as well as plenty of parents whose children couldn't get to sleep.

I doubt those folks will attend classes

I doubt those folks will attend classes

There are many other ways of educating than attending classes. Do I need to spell them all out for you?

Update:

After I got home from work yesterday, the wife took me to the police station. One of the officers who had responded told her the lieutenant thought there should be a formal report to give them ammunition should anything more happen. She checked with her cousin who is a police captain in central Bangkok, and he wholeheartedly agreed.

We went down to the station where we were treated quite well. An officer took the report, telling us that they cannot take action on anything like this unless people report it.

At least two neighbors came over during the day to thank my wife for me getting the police there in the first place. They had been driven crazy by all of this, but never called the police themselves. I think most thought it would be over by Saturday when the wedding actually took place, and many people left the mooban until Sunday. When the music started up again on Sunday afternoon, there were some very upset people.

We have a wat at the end of the mooban, and sometimes they play music, such as last weekend when there was a funeral, but that music, while we all can hear it, isn't the bass-pounding kind that shakes things on the walls and drives right though a person. The wat music is easy to tune out or mask with the tv or even aircons.

• Like 1

Update:

After I got home from work yesterday, the wife took me to the police station. One of the officers who had responded told her the lieutenant thought there should be a formal report to give them ammunition should anything more happen. She checked with her cousin who is a police captain in central Bangkok, and he wholeheartedly agreed.

We went down to the station where we were treated quite well. An officer took the report, telling us that they cannot take action on anything like this unless people report it.

At least two neighbors came over during the day to thank my wife for me getting the police there in the first place. They had been driven crazy by all of this, but never called the police themselves. I think most thought it would be over by Saturday when the wedding actually took place, and many people left the mooban until Sunday. When the music started up again on Sunday afternoon, there were some very upset people.

We have a wat at the end of the mooban, and sometimes they play music, such as last weekend when there was a funeral, but that music, while we all can hear it, isn't the bass-pounding kind that shakes things on the walls and drives right though a person. The wat music is easy to tune out or mask with the tv or even aircons.

next time have your wife call the police if the music goes past 1:00 am. we do and it works.

Update:

next time have your wife call the police if the music goes past 1:00 am. we do and it works.

My wife would have. She's a fire-cracker. But she was at another wat doing meditation.

I was given the option to file formal charges on Sunday, but I declined. My wife told me she would have filed charges for assault had she been there.

Update:

My wife would have. She's a fire-cracker. But she was at another wat doing meditation.

I was given the option to file formal charges on Sunday, but I declined. My wife told me she would have filed charges for assault had she been there.

you were smart

You're assuming a case of beer.

Anyhow thats village life, quiet one day, party the next. You could always buy/rent a condo, or go for a holiday away. Usually those weddings and even funerals go for a few days and then peace returns.

You just gotta deal with it.

Dont rock the boat with your Thai neighbours is the key. Buy a stereo and turn up your music or something.

Trust me, there's always worse thing in life than a few Thais enjoying themselves excessively. Go with the flow for your minds sake mate

• Like 1

There are many other ways of educating than attending classes. Do I need to spell them all out for you?

you can spell out for me how you are going to force them to listen to you.

Your posts are becoming far to troll-like to be worth answering. Wherever have I said that people should listen to me? IGNORED. Your baiting will not work with me.