Marry In Thailand Or Uk

Hi guys,

May I start by saying how helpful you guys are, and to me and my TGF in getting her tourist visa last April.

The help I need now is regarding marriage, and new visa

We were together in Thailand for 14 months before applying for a UK tourist visa which was granted and we are in the UK now living together. Her tourist Visa runs out on the 01/10/06

Before marriage we wanted to see that we were OK and that she could cope in the UK.

After 3 months here in the UK I am pleased to say everything is good, and we now want to marry

and then get her a UK settlement visa.

I am thinking that we return to Thailand in October then apply for a visa to marry and for her to settle her.

Or to marry in Thailand then apply for a settlement visa.

Is there a way we can extend her TOURIST visa and marry now while both in the UK

Which would you say is best. She will want to work in the UK when all to paperwork is completed.

Thanking you guys in anticipation

Big Dave

I'm sure Scouse can correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't marry in the UK on a Tourist Visa and if you did that would not be reason to stay as man and wife.

Her visa is for a visit, not settlement.

She'll need to re-apply for a settlement visa in Bangkok, regardless of if you marry in Thailand or the UK.

My advice would be make sure that she first of all complies with the visa she has and returns to Thailand before it expires. Then re-apply of the settlement Visa.

If you plan to marry in the UK then expectation is that you marry within a reasonable time, if you want to end any doubt on that, marry in Thailand before she applies.

Agree with you on your advice Guesthouse and i think for a fiance visa you will have to already have booked the date to marry in the UK (not sure) but you have to marry in 6 months.

Out of curiosity Dave, did the embassy give her the full 6 months on her VV ? I have heard of others who if they ask for the full 6 months, it causes difficulty in persuading the ECO that there is a reason to return. i.e how can your employer keep your job open for 6 months etc.

There is the option of getting a marriage visa in Thailand. It will then give you six months to get married in the UK. You will then get a 2 year visa and if you are still together after that indefinate leave to remain. I did this and it all worked out very smoothly. We have since had the marriage registered in Thailand and my wife's i.d. card, tabian baan and passport changed to her married name.

All of the above advice is sound. The only thing that I would add is that getting married in Thailand and then applying for a settlement visa for the UK is cheaper than going the fiancée route and marrying in the UK. The latter will involve an additional application to the Home Office at a cost of £335.00

Scouse.

Thank's to all, top information as usual, fully appreciate all reply's

Scouser Does the 19,000 plus baht Thai fiance visa not include any amount for settlement is it just for a visa to UK to get married then have to pay again for a settlement visa later when married in the UK.

mrbojangles. My TGF got a full 6 month tourist visa no problems

Does the 19,000 plus baht Thai fiance visa not include any amount for settlement is it just for a visa to UK to get married then have to pay again for a settlement visa later when married in the UK.

Whether you apply for either a fiancée or a spouse visa, the cost is £260.00. However, you then have to pay the Home Office for any applications made to them. If on a fiancé visa, you will have to make an application for the 2-year stamp once married, and then indefinite leave. Should you enter the UK on a spouse visa, you only need apply to the Home Office for indefinite leave and thereby save the cost of one application.

Scouse.

To expand on Scouse's reply.

Marry in UK.

Fiance visa: £260

Further Leave to Remain (After marriage): £335 by post or £500 in person.

Indefinite Leave to Remain (2 years after FLR): £335 by post or £500 in person.

Also, the holder of a fiance visa cannot work until after the marriage and they have been granted FLR.

Marry in Thailand.

Spouse visa: £260.

Indefinite Leave to Remain (2 years after spouse visa): £335 by post or £500 in person.

The holder of a spouse visa can work immediately.

So, unless there are compelling reasons for wanting to marry in the UK, then marrying in Thailand makes financial sense.

However, many couples want to do something for both families, so have the religious ceremony in Thailand, get a fiance visa and then have the legal wedding in the UK. At the end of the day it is your choice.

NB, you cannot have the legal (Ampur) wedding in Thailand and then marry again in the UK as you would be already married.

Edited by GU22

Scouse and GU22. Thank's again for your expert help and responce.

The reason I was thinking along the Fiancee visa and marry in UK was that if there were any problems with obtaining a 2 year settlement visa then at least in the UK I would understand and put our case forward. In Thailand if there were any problems it would be more difficult to understand and put our case forward.

It does make financial sence to marry first in Thailand, but cost is no problem just want things to go the smouthest way.

Dave

BigDave

I think the reason I originally decided to go the UK route was that, at that time, I was more comfortable dealing with thnigs from the UK side and also thought that future dealings would be easier with a UK marriage certificate. But I know peolpe who have done it both ways and not had many problems. We did have two weddings as described above and that was also very nice as not many of the UK relatives could get to Thailand and vice versa. I never had any problems with the immigration people in the UK. As long as you give them the paperwork they want, it will be fine. One thing to bear in mind for the longer term is that once your wife is over in the UK, try to register her with some institutions reasonably quickly. When you apply for indefinate leave to remain, they will want copies of utility bills, NHS cards, bank statements etc to show that you still live together. They want these to cover the two year period you have been together. A list of the documents they will want is on the downloadable form on the immigration website. I know it is some way ahead, but it will save a lot of hassle later if you sort it early.

Scouse and GU22. Thank's again for your expert help and responce.

The reason I was thinking along the Fiancee visa and marry in UK was that if there were any problems with obtaining a 2 year settlement visa then at least in the UK I would understand and put our case forward. In Thailand if there were any problems it would be more difficult to understand and put our case forward.

It does make financial sence to marry first in Thailand, but cost is no problem just want things to go the smouthest way.

Dave

Compare the similar requirements:

13.4 - Fiancé(e)s/proposed civil partners and how they qualify

13.5 - Spouses/civil partners and how they qualify.

I Married in the UK

The only problem I had was at the registrars office

I needed to find an interpreter because in the opinion of

the registrar my wife did not have a good enough understanding of the English language

so it was a mad rush to find someone to help out.

Don't leave the marriage to late towards the end of the visa,

start organising every thing no later than 3 months in to the visa,

IE speak to the register in plenty of time.

what everyou do good luck

As can be seen by looking at

Fiance checklist

Spouse checklist

Guidance - Husbands, wives and partners (INF 4)

and the links provided by Vinny, the requirements are to all intents and purposes the same.

The only real difference is that for a spouse visa you must supply the marriage certificate, whereas for a fiance visa you need to provide evidence of any marriage plans, including where and when the ceremony will take place.

On that last point, you cannot actually book the ceremony until your fiance is here as both partners have to attend the registry office to make a firm booking. So, include in the sponsors letter something like "we intend to marry at X registry office on Y date, and will make a firm booking as soon as possible once my fiance is in the UK.

See Getting Married or registering a civil partnership in the UK. A Guide to the rules Especially Section 4 - Giving notice to marry or register a civil partnership at a designated register office. Or if you intend to have a religious ceremony, Section 5 - Religious ceremonies

See also List of designated offices in England and Wales. All offices in Scotland and Northern Ireland are designated.

If marrying in Thailand, see Guidance for British Nationals Wishing to Marry in Thailand

Edited by GU22

One thing that I should add, as it is very important.

If marrying in Thailand and applying for a spouse visa, it is vital that she enters the UK for the first time with that visa no more than 28 days after the date of the visa. If this is not possible or convenient, then she must ensure that the visa is post-dated (which can be done up to a maximum of 3 months). If she wants the visa post dated she must ask for this when submitting the initial application. There is a question about this on the form, but it can be overlooked, so I would include the request in the covering letter. When collecting the visa she must check that it is all in order, including the commencement date, immediately. Mistakes can be very difficult to rectify afterwards.

The reason?

When she comes to apply for ILR she must

1) have been resident in the UK for at least 2 years,

2) Posses a valid visa.

If her visa expires before she has completed the 2 year qualifying period, then she would have to apply for FLR to cover the gap.

Although, she can apply for ILR up to 28 days before the 2nd anniversary, even if the visa expires before the anniversary, but the visa must be valid when she submits the application. If the visa expires while the ILR application is being processed, don't worry. It will be automatically extended until the ILR decision is made. But it must be valid when the application is submitted.

Fiance visa holders wont have this problem, as the 2 year qualifying period for ILR begins after the marriage when FLR is granted. Even so, don't leave it too long to travel once the visa is granted as you would only have 6 months to get the marriage and FLR sorted. If the marriage hasn't taken place before the fiance visa expires then she'll have to leave the UK and apply again in Bangkok. (It is possible to extend a fiance visa in the UK, but only in the most exceptional of circumstances, e.g the marriage had been postponed due to a serious accident or illness.)

Edited by GU22

Same day, once you've had the marriage certificate translated.

Good thing about getting married in the UK is that you dont need to get the marriage certificate translated.(saves about ...wot...50 bt :o )

The law has of course been changed recently but with me/us it was just a case of nipping down to the local Registry Office (in Enfield) bunging in the "Banns" and waiting 2 weeks.

Wife was on a six months visitors visa but when we went back to LOS a week or 2 later and presented the UK marriage certificate the lassie behind the counter at the Embassy looked up and down at us a couple of times and her new Visa was basically issued there and then.

She (KW)also had a provisional National Insurance No.NHS Medical registration card,a Nationwide bank A/C...and one of those discount things from Boots the Chemist and Tescos:huh: ...all helps...

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys me again.

Well nearly all set to apply for VAF 2 with valuable help from thaivisa members.

Just need help now with letter, I did sponsorship letter OK for tourist visa, but am unsure for letter to obtain VAF 2. Should it be on the lines of being able to support as before, and should I mention that she intends to work in the UK when all paperwork in and approved.

Thank's in anticipation

In your letter you should address the various provisions of the immigration rules as they relate to spouse applications. You should therefore include a statement that:

1. You are married

2. You can financially support yourself and your wife

3. You have sufficent accommodation, and

4. You intend to live together permanently.

Scouse.

Unless the visa officer has reason to doubt you, a simple statement to this effect should suffice; e.g. I live in a 3-bedroomed house which is owned outright. If you want to ice the cake, you could include a letter from either the Land Registry Office or a solicitor.

Scouse.

I would say all documents are important ,because it might just be the one they ask for and you do not have it ,I sent everything i had to get wife sv including a letter from bank stating house ownership.

She went in on the morning and got call same day to come and pick up visa 6 hours in total .

A great moment.

Hi Guys.

I am wondering if there any advantages of having my girl get the TB thing done in the UK while she is still here, before applying for VAF 2 Visa later this year in Bangkok, and if so how long does does it last, and do Embassy accept it done in UK.

Thank's

Dave

Edited by BigDave

I don't know about getting it done in England, but we had the test done on my last visit to Thailand, just to get one more thing off the 'tick list'.

The certificate lasts for 6 months.

For what it is worth, I thought the process in Bangkok was relatively straightforward and comfortably done in a day.

The only slight problem we had was that when we arrived at our appointment time (which we had booked 2 weeks before) my girlfriend was told that it couldn't be done because "Monday's are only for students"

We stood up to them and were insistent, telling them that we were only in Bangkok for the day and it had to be done then. At this point they gave in and agreed to keep the appointment.

The whole process from turning up for the appointment, going to the hospital for the test and then back for the certificate took about 3.5 hours.