Some advice for residing in Chiang Rai

boomerangutang

Again we disagree. We have quite a few pine trees and they have weathered the storms and high winds better that some of our other plants and trees. Besides they are pretty and stay green all year long.

I honk a fair amount to warn dogs instead of running over them. It is also helpful when I notice people putting themselves in danger. I would rather be loud than to bring harm to someone or something.

Bananas are not a problem around here as everyone grows their own and it is customary for people to dispose of their waste as they see fit. Of course that often means burning.

My advise would be to learn the rules of the game before stepping onto the pitch and avoid arguing with the umpire or telling him he is stupid, or telling him things are done differently and better where you come from. You may end up being advised to return to that place.

Those advices in the OP aren't actually my words. They're things which Thai friends of mine said to me.

pine trees: Nui

don't honk: Ae

banana leaf mildew: Manok

I don't agree with them, I just wanted to post those to see what sort of responses they would garner. Responders naturally thought they were my words, and them knowing I'm a middle aged farang (but not knowing me personally), it's natural they would contest what I put forth. However, if responders had known the advice came from Thais (or from a farang friend of theirs), then they would have instead made efforts to avoid saying anything untoward or negative or offensive in response.

My advise would be to learn the rules of the game before stepping onto the pitch and avoid arguing with the umpire or telling him he is stupid, or telling him things are done differently and better where you come from. You may end up being advised to return to that place.

would Villagefarang say those same words to the Thai men who put forth those 3 bits of advice posted in the OP? Answer: no.

A Thai friend did not post those words, you did, so they belong to you on this forum. I am not sure why you feel qualified to tell others how I would respond to hypotheticals?

I guess I mistakenly thought you had posted a topic to elicit “Some advice for residing in Chiang Rai.” I didn’t realize it was a trick question designed for other reasons.

I stick to the advise given and would give it to anyone though obviously it would not pertain to Thais living in Chiangrai.

Edited by villagefarang

A Thai friend did not post those words, you did, so they belong to you on this forum. I am not sure why you feel qualified to tell others how I would respond to hypotheticals?

I guess I mistakenly thought you had posted a topic to elicit Some advice for residing in Chiang Rai. I didnt realize it was a trick question designed for other reasons.

I stick to the advise given and would give it to anyone though obviously it would not pertain to Thais living in Chiangrai.

Again, you show your subjectivity in responding to posts.

Here's the pattern: If it's someone you personally know and like, or a Thai, then your responses (to anything they post) are civil, nice, tolerant.

If it's a response to a post (with same wording) written by someone you have an attitude towards, then it's completely different.

The closing sentence in your above post articulates as much.

Edited by boomerangutang
  • Like 1

That doesn't make any sense because a Thai living in Chiangrai wouldn't need advice about living in Chiang Rai, where as a foreigner very well might. How could someone possibly give the same advice to a local and a foreigner?

Talk about subjective responses.

Edited by villagefarang

The part about not Planting Pine Trees maybe sound advice, I've lost about 3 very large pine trees in the garden over the last 2-3 years to storms. they are very brittle and don't give much, I'm talking about real pine trees though, not the Ornamental Conifers that may be mistaken as Pine Trees and that are so flexible you could use as a catapult smile.png

The Don't Honk your Horn suggestion is probably a bit out of date though , probably from the 1930's or something, never noticed Mildew on Banana leaves but they can become a Fire hazard in the dry Season so I would trim them for that reason wink.png

Actually, 'aggressive' horn usage is not a good idea. It could very well lead to a road rage situation.

It's ironic, because Thai drivers used their horns constantly, 40 years ago.

There were even less traffic rules then. So, drivers used horns to navigate around each other.

It used to crack me up and scare me at the same time.

Edited by rijb

Actually, 'aggressive' horn usage is not a good idea. It could very well lead to a road rage situation.

It's ironic, because Thai drivers used their horns constantly, 40 years ago.

There were even less traffic rules then. So, drivers used horns to navigate around each other.

It used to crack me up and scare me at the same time.

In those days pedestrians used to walk down the middle of the road and were so unaware of cars that you had to blow your horn every time if you did not and someone walked in front of you you got blamed.

I installed a blown horn on my bicycle just to let my Thai neighbords know that I am coming and I am "dangerous"...and better to keep its dogs inside...

They love it!!! I am becoming very popular too!

• Like 2

I will stop honking my horn when people stop trying to kill me or stop trying to involve my car in their attempt to kill themselves.

Your horn is for warning, not for talking. post-4641-1156694005.gif.pagespeed.ce.gy

My horn neither asked for your opinion nor gives a toss about it, so kindly stick to posting about your own horn.

• Like 1

When the Chinese move across the river you have never seen drivers like them. They make Thai's look like licensed drivers. It is now estimated that when the new project is finished there will 2 million Chinese there including family members. When I am walking around the mall and stores I hear a lot of Chinese speaking. The new Chinese airport will connect to all of south asia and western china. The airport is under construction now and is going to be a big one. The first phase of the industrial complex that will employ 1m Chinese is under construction. They will have no respect for Thainess. The drive on any side of the road they can get to. Horns beeping will be the norm. It is estimated that there are already 400,000 Chinese in their new city in Laos. Chiang Rai has been designated as the gateway to China. The train construction will start next year and with the help of the Chinese it will finish fast. The attaching bridge at Chiang Kong is already being designed to meet the Chinese rail road on the other side. The Thainess and quietness of Chiang Rai is going to be infringed on big time.

Pine trees are brittle and get knocked down by storms? Must be Pines incompatible with local soils resulting in poor rooting or parasites/insects. Pines grow in Alpine areas all over the globe and survive both the blasting winds of winter and blistering heat of dry summers.

The Royal Forestry Department planted pine trees on the slopes of Doi Chang - facing Chiang Rai town. If you drive along that area you will notice that the base of the trees are scorched black. That is from the almost annual brush fires. The trees suvive these low intensity fires. A totally different scenario would happen if brush fires were not allowed to occur for several years as debris on the forest floor would accumulate and provide the fire with more fuel - which will kill a mature pine tree stand.

Another thing you will notice is that some of the trees have been wounded. Villagers hack at the tree base where there is a lot of pine resin. These are used as fire starters (kindle) when lighting up a charcoal stove or a bonfire.

But the most damning thing about the pine "forest" is that there are no pine seedlings growing from the forest floor. In other words, there is no pine forest regeneration. So any new pine tree would have to be Planted by someone.

I find Pine Trees a very poor choice in providing forest cover. Furthermore, pine trees in that area is like a desert. Birds have nothing to eat there. And lastly - almost nothing grows on the forest floor - something due to a phenomenon called allelopathy - a survival strategy of plants to prevent other species from competing with it.

• Like 1