Have I made an error with my Wife & Sons UK VISA application

Hi,

So I put in the online applications for my wife and son, and duly payed with Paypal and set up the document submission appointments for the end of next week. A few days after this, I noticed one of the VISA payments (for my sons application) was reversed - probably my fault as I was moving some cash around, but also i think it was flagged as fraud as my exit IP at the time was Dublin.

So here's my question. I've been frantically mailing the enquiry address to try and get the payment status reset so i can submit the payment again (guaranteed funds this time) and all i am getting back so far are canned mails saying "if i want to change anything, i should submit a whole new application" - which would mean new appointment times etc.

Should i just bin the application now and quickly fire a new one in, or should i persevere with the payment reset ? I've now sent three mails to the contact address - annoyingly the reply address is "no-reply@" so it's not really helpful for following up. Not impossible, just an annoyance.

Cheers in advance.

./P

Just tried that number. No help whatsoever, it's only for processing payment via VISA. No other help or assistance offered, and no upstream phone number. Guess i'll just tear down the old app and re-apply. :(

Have you tried the " View Payment" page on the application website ( where the copy of your application is ) ? That page should show if the application is still ongoing, fee paid, etc. It also has some advice on what to do, but it may not apply to your situation.

Tony M

Yeah, View Payment shows as complete for the old application

I decided not to dodge a bullet and instead just sent a new application over, All payed and monies taken. Luckily I also got an appointment slot that follows the original one, so all if good now.

Now to explain this to the missus...

Cheers

./P

I thought you paid for the visa with a bankers draft when you hand your docs in at the visa centre in bkk?

Why you going to live in England anyway, had enough?

You no longer able to do anything at the BKK offices other than have the biometric details taken and hand the paperwork over. Payment, application and setting appointment date are all done via the webpage. Neat for the processors, as there is zero human interaction, just a paper shuffling game. Bad news for the applicants, as there is no room for the smallest question to be clarified. No chance of explanation. No interview. I had my application filled out exactly as requested. So did a friend of mine with partner and baby girl. Both declined.

My friend, due to his personal circumstances, decided to use an agent. He's paying 500 quid for the service which is expected to go through. The reason for us being declined? "they must have been having a bad day" were the agents words. In reality, I spoke with someone else with 'visa links' who tells me the people paying back handers (agency app's) go to the top of the approved pile, leaving the balance split to either get lucky and not hit the processor on a 'bad day' or get declined due to a pre designated number of declinations needed for the statistics.

Made me puke. Disgusted with the whole thing. Stressful and corrupt.

And it was a simple general vacation request. The reasons for declination were spurious at best.

• Like 2

I thought you paid for the visa with a bankers draft when you hand your docs in at the visa centre in bkk?

You no longer able to do anything at the BKK offices other than have the biometric details taken and hand the paperwork over. Payment, application and setting appointment date are all done via the webpage. Neat for the processors, as there is zero human interaction, just a paper shuffling game. Bad news for the applicants, as there is no room for the smallest question to be clarified. No chance of explanation. No interview. I had my application filled out exactly as requested. So did a friend of mine with partner and baby girl. Both declined.

My friend, due to his personal circumstances, decided to use an agent. He's paying 500 quid for the service which is expected to go through. The reason for us being declined? "they must have been having a bad day" were the agents words. In reality, I spoke with someone else with 'visa links' who tells me the people paying back handers (agency app's) go to the top of the approved pile, leaving the balance split to either get lucky and not hit the processor on a 'bad day' or get declined due to a pre designated number of declinations needed for the statistics.

And it was a simple general vacation request. The reasons for declination were spurious at best.

OK, thanks. Yes. my wifes first tourist visa was refused. My Dad died shortly after the planned holiday, so thanks to these muppets they never got to meet each other.

If you can afford to use an agent then it's probably worthwhile I'd say. I thought it was more expensive than 500 quid though? Thought it was double that.

OK, thanks. Yes. my wifes first tourist visa was refused. My Dad died shortly after the planned holiday, so thanks to these muppets they never got to meet each other.

If you can afford to use an agent then it's probably worthwhile I'd say. I thought it was more expensive than 500 quid though? Thought it was double that.

Similar issues with the decision of my friend to pay an agent. The folks take no mitigating circumstances in to account. They actively seek ways to decline rather than approve which IMO isn't in their remit to do, and if all the paperwork adds up they shouldn't be looking for cracks to celebrate another refusal.

We're talking peoples lives here. But the current method reduces that to just a pile of papers.. Which was obviously the intention.

500 quid but I think you can find for less, he just felt comfortable with the guy he met.

I feel I shouldn't need to pay a 3rd party to pay other parties under the table, to do a process which is part of the British government. I'm considering what action can be taken back in the UK as there is zero recourse possibility with the agency.

• Like 1

Similar issues with the decision of my friend to pay an agent. The folks take no mitigating circumstances in to account. They actively seek ways to decline rather than approve which IMO isn't in their remit to do, and if all the paperwork adds up they shouldn't be looking for cracks to celebrate another refusal.

We're talking peoples lives here. But the current method reduces that to just a pile of papers.. Which was obviously the intention.

500 quid but I think you can find for less, he just felt comfortable with the guy he met.

I feel I shouldn't need to pay a 3rd party to pay other parties under the table, to do a process which is part of the British government. I'm considering what action can be taken back in the UK as there is zero recourse possibility with the agency.

Sounds very cynical, but I would agree with you 100%

I've always believed that they are just looking for a reason to reject you. Scary that your whole life/future is at the mercy of ruthless, faceless, pen pushers filled with hate..

• Like 1

....... In reality, I spoke with someone else with 'visa links' who tells me the people paying back handers (agency app's) go to the top of the approved pile, leaving the balance split to either get lucky and not hit the processor on a 'bad day' or get declined due to a pre designated number of declinations needed for the statistics.

Made me puke. Disgusted with the whole thing. Stressful and corrupt....

Jinners - do I understand you are saying your friend experienced corruption at the British Embassy in Bangkok? That Embassy staff are accepting 'back handers' to process visa applications? I'm shocked to hear that.

That's a serious allegation and I find it difficult to believe anyone working at the British Embassy would behave that way or that it would be tolerated. The Embassy staff are UK civil servants. You should raise your concerns directly with the Embassy - put them in writing in a letter addressed to the ambassador or the deputy head of mission. Their contact details are on the Embassy website. Be prepared to support your claims with evidence, even if it is only anecdotal evidence. I'd be interested to learn how the Embassy replies if you would be kind enough to provide a follow up report on here.

• Like 1

....... In reality, I spoke with someone else with 'visa links' who tells me the people paying back handers (agency app's) go to the top of the approved pile, leaving the balance split to either get lucky and not hit the processor on a 'bad day' or get declined due to a pre designated number of declinations needed for the statistics.

Made me puke. Disgusted with the whole thing. Stressful and corrupt....

Jinners - do I understand you are saying your friend experienced corruption at the British Embassy in Bangkok? That Embassy staff are accepting 'back handers' to process visa applications? I'm shocked to hear that.

That's a serious allegation and I find it difficult to believe anyone working at the British Embassy would behave that way or that it would be tolerated. The Embassy staff are UK civil servants. You should raise your concerns directly with the Embassy - put them in writing in a letter addressed to the ambassador or the deputy head of mission. Their contact details are on the Embassy website. Be prepared to support your claims with evidence, even if it is only anecdotal evidence. I'd be interested to learn how the Embassy replies if you would be kind enough to provide a follow up report on here.

Yes, that's what I am saying. Procedures are completely vetted by Thais so I understand, then pretty much rubber stamped by the UK civil servant. I know it is a serious allegation and I have no interest in contacting the embassy but will pursue whatever means I can find when back in the UK. Having an agency as sole controller of applications is bad in itself with a zero appeal process. That speaks for itself. I received in my letter of declination a link to a note in the law which didn't work and a direction to a complaint or appeals process that doesn't exist.

This is not the place to discuss alleged corruption by UKVI staff, be they locally or centrally employed.

There are procedures in place to investigate alleged corruption, and they must not be discussed on this platform.

So please no more discussion on here.

• Like 1

This is not the place to discuss alleged corruption by UKVI staff, be they locally or centrally employed.

There are procedures in place to investigate alleged corruption, and they must not be discussed on this platform.

I see what you mean and the OP has told us that his problem is now fixed,

but the thread has taken an interesting turn in that applications for a holiday visit to the UK are all processed online.

If there is the slighest error you will be declined and there is no way to follow up and correct the error.

I do not beleive that there is any corruption at any Embassy or Consulate.

I guess that Border Control in the UK actually make the decisions.

My wifes application was turned down because "on the balance of probalities" they felt that she was not sufficiently tied to Spain (my full time address but she has Spanish ID, registered as my wife), that she would overstay and need help from social services. We gave the full details for the five family members we would be staying with, email, phone numbers, addresses etc and for ourselves but they did not contact anyone so what´s that all about?

I´d bet that they are under staffed and over worked and have no time to follow up on any query. Unless your application is perfect, the chances are that it will be refused.

For the 2 to 3 week planned visit, we said we had £5,000 available and if there would be other expenses, "my husband will provide"

A probably stupid thing was to say we hadn´t decided if we would fly or drive over for the visit!

I was last in the UK in 2010 for my daughters wedding!

The UK tax man has my Spanish address and sends everything there..

The real problem is that there is no 30 day visit visa, only 6 month general or family member visa´s.

I would gladly submit a refundable bond of say £5,000 and we would get it back as we left the UK.

The problems of getting a wife into the UK from a country other than a scheduled territory are immense and it does mess with peoples lives.

I was unable to see my first grandson until he came to see me at the age of 18 months (with my daughter and hubby of course).

I feel that the point about the agents success is that they have learned what to present and how to present the application in a way that Border Control understand and accept.

In any new application that we may make, I will be sure to tell them that we own property in Spain as well as Thailand and I will disclose my annual income and saving balances - all things that are not asked on the application - which in our case already had 121 questions.....

It seems that giving tham my national insurance number was not enough.

The UK needs to control it´s borders to keep freeloaders out!

But, Hey, we are talking about our wives and perhaps our human rights as well.

Our refusal was expensive, a 1,400Km round trip + hotel overnight + €114 biometric fee + eating out.

I asked the lady at the Embassy if I could talk to an officer as we had filled in a general visitor application, not a family member.

She said no and that wmy wife would be issued with the appropriate visa and not to worry.

Imagine my supprise when it was refused!

I hope that this post is acceptable, should we start another thread?

Something like;

How to fill in a UK holiday visa application for your Thai wife?

In the body of the post I would ask that people give the detail of their refusal (as I did above), so that we may learn how to present an application that might have a better chance of being accepted..

I would also ask for any ideas that folk have about how to disclose additional detail to help the application.

What does an agent do?

• Like 2

but the thread has taken an interesting turn in that applications for a holiday visit to the UK are all processed online.

If there is the slighest error you will be declined and there is no way to follow up and correct the error.

I do not beleive that there is any corruption at any Embassy or Consulate.

I guess that Border Control in the UK actually make the decisions.

My wifes application was turned down because "on the balance of probalities" they felt that she was not sufficiently tied to Spain (my full time address but she has Spanish ID, registered as my wife), that she would overstay and need help from social services. We gave the full details for the five family members we would be staying with, email, phone numbers, addresses etc and for ourselves but they did not contact anyone so what´s that all about?

I´d bet that they are under staffed and over worked and have no time to follow up on any query. Unless your application is perfect, the chances are that it will be refused.

For the 2 to 3 week planned visit, we said we had £5,000 available and if there would be other expenses, "my husband will provide"

A probably stupid thing was to say we hadn´t decided if we would fly or drive over for the visit!

I was last in the UK in 2010 for my daughters wedding!

The UK tax man has my Spanish address and sends everything there..

The real problem is that there is no 30 day visit visa, only 6 month general or family member visa´s.

I would gladly submit a refundable bond of say £5,000 and we would get it back as we left the UK.

The problems of getting a wife into the UK from a country other than a scheduled territory are immense and it does mess with peoples lives.

I was unable to see my first grandson until he came to see me at the age of 18 months (with my daughter and hubby of course).

I feel that the point about the agents success is that they have learned what to present and how to present the application in a way that Border Control understand and accept.

In any new application that we may make, I will be sure to tell them that we own property in Spain as well as Thailand and I will disclose my annual income and saving balances - all things that are not asked on the application - which in our case already had 121 questions.....

It seems that giving tham my national insurance number was not enough.

The UK needs to control it´s borders to keep freeloaders out!

But, Hey, we are talking about our wives and perhaps our human rights as well.

Our refusal was expensive, a 1,400Km round trip + hotel overnight + €114 biometric fee + eating out.

I asked the lady at the Embassy if I could talk to an officer as we had filled in a general visitor application, not a family member.

She said no and that wmy wife would be issued with the appropriate visa and not to worry.

Imagine my supprise when it was refused!

Something like;

How to fill in a UK holiday visa application for your Thai wife?

In the body of the post I would ask that people give the detail of their refusal (as I did above), so that we may learn how to present an application that might have a better chance of being accepted..

I would also ask for any ideas that folk have about how to disclose additional detail to help the application.

What does an agent do?

You seriously begrudge the fact that you spent some money on 'eating out'? I liked your post but found it very odd that you threw that one in. Very odd.

• Like 1

Something like;

How to fill in a UK holiday visa application for your Thai wife.

This pinned topic is a good place to start http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446602-uk-visit-visa-basics/

However, as you say, this thread is about a problem encountered when paying an application fee, so let's keep any further discussion on that please.

• Like 1

You seriously begrudge the fact that you spent some money on 'eating out'? I liked your post but found it very odd that you threw that one in. Very odd.

It was just a cost, something to be incurred.

If I had wanted to go to visit Madrid at my leisure, that would have been very different.

We were there to do a job, give the biometrics and originals and copies of various documents.

It was not a fun experience, the food was also very expensive too.

Off to see the pinned topic now - Cheers

Something like;

How to fill in a UK holiday visa application for your Thai wife.

This pinned topic is a good place to start http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/446602-uk-visit-visa-basics/

However, as you say, this thread is about a problem encountered when paying an application fee, so let's keep any further discussion on that please.

The first difficulty I have is that the pinned thread suggest writing a supporting letter but how to add that to the online application?

It was just a cost, something to be incurred.

If I had wanted to go to visit Madrid at my leisure, that would have been very different.

We were there to do a job, give the biometrics and originals and copies of various documents.

It was not a fun experience, the food was also very expensive too.

Off to see the pinned topic now - Cheers

I was only breaking ya balls. Best of luck mate.

• Like 1

The first difficulty I have is that the pinned thread suggest writing a supporting letter but how to add that to the online application?

You don't, the online application is just the application form which is submitted electronically.

You have to print that form and the applicant has to submit that hard copy with all the supporting evidence, including any supporting letters, at the visa application centre.

At that stage the biometric details are captured.

If you have any further questions could you please start your own thread.

• Like 1

No UK visa applications are processed online.

The application is submitted online, but the actual processing of same, i.e. the decision making process, is undertaken by an actual human being; an Entry Clearance officer, or above, who is an employee of the British government, not, I believe, locally employed staff and certainly not staff of any visa application centre, who base their decision on all the information submitted by the applicant; not just the online form, but also the supporting documents.

Also, if the applicant makes a mistake on the online form and does not realise until after it has been submitted, they can rectify this mistake on the printout before submitting that and the supporting documents.

It is true that it is virtually impossible to rectify an error made by the applicant once the application has been fully submitted; but, to the best of my knowledge, that has always been the case; certainly for the nearly 15 years I have taken an interest in these matters. Moral; check and check again before submitting the application to make sure it is all correct.

Of course, since the removal of the right of appeal for family visits it is now extremely difficult to have an erroneous refusal by the ECO rectified; but general visits have never had a right of appeal.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1

No UK visa applications are processed online.

The application is submitted online, but the actual processing of same, i.e. the decision making process, is undertaken by an actual human being; an Entry Clearance officer, or above, who is an employee of the British government, not, I believe, locally employed staff and certainly not staff of any visa application centre, who base their decision on all the information submitted by the applicant; not just the online form, but also the supporting documents.

Also, if the applicant makes a mistake on the online form and does not realise until after it has been submitted, they can rectify this mistake on the printout before submitting that and the supporting documents.

It is true that it is virtually impossible to rectify an error made by the applicant once the application has been fully submitted; but, to the best of my knowledge, that has always been the case; certainly for the nearly 15 years I have taken an interest in these matters. Moral; check and check again before submitting the application to make sure it is all correct.

Of course, since the removal of the right of appeal for family visits it is now extremely difficult to have an erroneous refusal by the ECO rectified; but general visits have never had a right of appeal.

That's the problem, check and check but when you don't know what to look for, easy to fail.

They don't have questions like:

Show the monthly income of your husband. It is clearly not good enough to say "husband will provide"

There must be many points like that, if explained would really help to be successful.

These are the vital points.

(I'm so dumb, I need a template LOL)

laislica,

Not all UK visit visa applicants have a husband (or wife) or even a British sponsor; and many supply all the finance for the visit themselves.

There also cannot be a fixed, minimum amount of available money required as every applicant's circumstances are different.

As I say in UK visit visa basics

There is no minimum amount of available money required. Everyone's circumstances are different and the amount of money needed is variable. For example someone touring for 4 weeks and staying in hotels will probably need more than someone staying for 6 months with friends or family. The applicant does, though, need to show that sufficient finances are available to them to cover all the costs of their visit.

Finance can come from the applicant's resources, the sponsor's, a third party's or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the finances should provide evidence of their ability to do so, 6 months bank statements are best, and if a third party say why they are doing so.

There are questions about available finances on the application form, and UKVI do provide guidance on completing the application form and guidance on supporting documents.

Note that the latter is not a definitive list, as it says

It is not a list of documents that you must submit. We do not expect you to provide all of the documents listed below, it is for you to decide which documents are most relevant to your application.

• Like 1

laislica,

Not all UK visit visa applicants have a husband (or wife) or even a British sponsor; and many supply all the finance for the visit themselves.

There also cannot be a fixed, minimum amount of available money required as every applicant's circumstances are different.

As I say in UK visit visa basics

There is no minimum amount of available money required. Everyone's circumstances are different and the amount of money needed is variable. For example someone touring for 4 weeks and staying in hotels will probably need more than someone staying for 6 months with friends or family. The applicant does, though, need to show that sufficient finances are available to them to cover all the costs of their visit.

Finance can come from the applicant's resources, the sponsor's, a third party's or any combination of these. Whoever is contributing to the finances should provide evidence of their ability to do so, 6 months bank statements are best, and if a third party say why they are doing so.

There are questions about available finances on the application form, and UKVI do provide guidance on completing the application form and guidance on supporting documents.

Note that the latter is not a definitive list, as it says

It is not a list of documents that you must submit. We do not expect you to provide all of the documents listed below, it is for you to decide which documents are most relevant to your application.

Thanks very much for your guidance.

The real problem I suppose, was that I thought it would be no problem for a UK citizen to enter the UK with a Thai wife.

I hadn´t done any research at all and fell into all available traps LOL

I mean, I thought it was a basic human right that we should be granted a visa to take a holiday in my country of birth!

I am no longer bothered about visiting the UK now.

My family can visit me and that will do.

We will visit other Schengen countries where my wife has automatic permission to enter for up to 6 months (I think), not that we would stop more than a week or two anyway.

I´d rather spend money in countries that appreciate us.

For most people, obtaining a UK visit visa for their spouse to accompany them to the UK for a visit should be straightforward; especially if the British spouse lives with their foreign spouse in the foreign spouse's home country, e.g. Thailand.

But, unfortunately, abuse of visit visas by some couples using them to by pass the settlement rules and simply stay in the UK once arrived has resulted in a stricter approach.

The removal of the right of appeal for family visits, which this would be, has also resulted, as a recent thread showed, in ECOs being less thorough in their approach and refusing more.

As the spouse of an EEA national your wife can easily obtain a visa to enter any other EEA state, not just the Schengen ones, for up to 90 days with very few requirements provided she can show that she is your wife and is travelling with or to join you. The visa is free, as well.

Unfortunately this EEA freedom of movement regulation for non EEA national family members of an EEA national does not apply, in most circumstances, when entering the state of which the EEA national is a citizen.

So as you are a British citizen your wife needs a UK visa to enter the UK; were you, for example, French she would need a French visa to enter France.

• Like 1

For most people, obtaining a UK visit visa for their spouse to accompany them to the UK for a visit should be straightforward; especially if the British spouse lives with their foreign spouse in the foreign spouse's home country, e.g. Thailand.

But, unfortunately, abuse of visit visas by some couples using them to by pass the settlement rules and simply stay in the UK once arrived has resulted in a stricter approach.

The removal of the right of appeal for family visits, which this would be, has also resulted, as a recent thread showed, in ECOs being less thorough in their approach and refusing more.

As the spouse of an EEA national your wife can easily obtain a visa to enter any other EEA state, not just the Schengen ones, for up to 90 days with very few requirements provided she can show that she is your wife and is travelling with or to join you. The visa is free, as well.

Unfortunately this EEA freedom of movement regulation for non EEA national family members of an EEA national does not apply, in most circumstances, when entering the state of which the EEA national is a citizen.

So as you are a British citizen your wife needs a UK visa to enter the UK; were you, for example, French she would need a French visa to enter France.

Indeed, the few make it hard for the majority.

I have lived in Spain for 14 years as a retiree and am a resident there.

My wife needed a free, EEA Family Member 90 day visa to enter Spain.

Once there She was registered with the Spanish FO as my wife and given an ID Card and Tax number and no further visas or extensions other than a simple renewal every 5 years like all the Spanish have to.

There were quite a few hoops to jump but fairly straightforward, although some of the hoops were expensive.

As an example, we were required to travel in person to Malaga to swear oaths to the British Consul that we were married and living together.

The fee for the sworn, sealed documents was €243 + travel and over night costs.

Prior to this, the certified, approved Spanish translation of the Thai marriage cert had to be sent by courier with a €60 fee to be approved again by the Spanish FO in Madrid.

We applied for the UK general visitor visa in Spain, hence the BC comments that they felt she was not sufficiently tied to Spain.

However, getting her full NHS cover via my S1 form in Spain was a breeze. She has the EHIC card for cover whilst travelling in other European countries too.

A certified copy of the English translation of the marriage cert was all that was required.

All water under the bridge now but I do feel for the poster whose wife was denied and this deprived the meeting between the wife and father-in-law forever because the father-in.law died sometime after. You can´t wind the clock back!

The frustrating thing is that it is all automated,

that there is no person to talk to or ask for guidance,

that there is no appeal,

that the website easily takes you into loops,

that it is expensive.

The biometric data required by the Spanish was taken locally.

For the UK visa, the applicant is required to travel to the Brit Emb in Madrid.

Why can´t they get the data from the Spanish in your local area?

Any foreign office or just about any police station can do it.

A copy of her fingerprint is on the back of her ID Card.

Tha shamefull thing IMO is that there are thousands of illegals in the UK, getting benefits, housing etc

but for those who try to enter legally, it can be very difficult.

I agree with Tony M that there are no quotas for visas and, hopefully, no corruption at the British Embassy.

However I can also understand the frustration of genuine people applying for visas and getting a pretty poor service. I think there are a few good reasons for this :-

1. Everything going through VFS. Visa applicants have zero contact with the Embassy. There used to be an interview where possible problems could be ironed out. This no longer happens. Many people here have posted about how bad the service is at VFS and also that various on-line links and premium phone numbers are a waste of time.

2. There is no appeal process any more. Again this was an opportunity to iron out any problems.

3. Settlement Visa applications are, in my opinion, now very expensive and onerous. Therefore showing a "reason for return" for visit visas has become extremely important. I think ECOs are now very wary that people may try and get a visit visa and overstay. Unfortunately the assessment of "reasons to return" is subjective and given any doubt then nowadays an ECO is more likely to refuse an application.

So given these problems and the fact that embassy staff rarely, if ever, have any direct contact with applicants then it is hardly surprising that rumours start and accusations are made about corruption in the system. As long as embassy staff continue to have an "ivory tower mentality" then I think this state of affairs will just get worse. Meanwhile genuine visa applicants suffer and their only mistake is not submitting a word perfect application in the first instance.

Oh and before some of you "experts" here retort by saying that all applicants have to do is follow the rules and application procedures, sorry but most applicants are not as au fait with the requirements as you may be.

• Like 1