Visa Card

geoffphuket

Many years ago, before coming to live in the land of smiles, I cancelled all my Uk Visa cards. I now find myself needing one to book airplane tickets over the internet (why don't they accept Electron?).

Can anyone tell me if any Bank in Thailand will issue a Visa card to a non-working, married farang with a Thai wife? My local UOB won't

Cheers for any input, I guess I'm not on my own with this one! :o

Many years ago, before coming to live in the land of smiles, I cancelled all my Uk Visa cards. I now find myself needing one to book airplane tickets over the internet (why don't they accept Electron?).

Can anyone tell me if any Bank in Thailand will issue a Visa card to a non-working, married farang with a Thai wife? My local UOB won't

As far as I know, you need a 1 year visa and work permit. It may be different if you are on a marriage or retirement visa though.

Might be easier for the wife to get the card and then let you use it.

As far as I know, you need a 1 year visa and work permit. It may be different if you are on a marriage or retirement visa though.

Spot on Kerryd,

I'm here on a married visa ("O" type) and you need both the 1 year visa and a current work permit to obtain any form of visa (credit type anyway).

geoffphuket I'd also say that Kerryd's solution would be your only real option mate but I do wish you luck.

Cheers.

Credit card without work permit???Is this possible???

Most banks will give you a Visa if you have a work permit and can prove you have an income of about 50.000 to 70.000 baht a month depending on the bank. For Thais it's only about 15.000 Baht a month!!!

If your wife has a credit card it's easier to get a supplement card in her name.

Thanks for all the advice.

Sounds like the stumbling block is my lack of a work permit. As I never came to Thailand to work, I've never asked for one. Would this mean changing my non-O visa to a B type ?

If so it's all too much trouble :o

I find this interesting, in preperation for my retirement Iopened a savings account with the Bangkok Bank here in Pattaya. I was given an immediate card with my name and the visa logo on it and have been using it for a year now. However, I have not tried to use it other than the atm so not sure if the visa logo actually means anything! perhaps I will try it one day and see what happens!

I find this interesting, in preperation for my retirement Iopened a savings account with the Bangkok Bank here in Pattaya. I was given an immediate card with my name and the visa logo on it and have been using it for a year now. However, I have not tried to use it other than the atm so not sure if the visa logo actually means anything! perhaps I will try it one day and see what happens!

The card you've been issued will be a Visa electron. That's a direct debit card, not a credit card. It's obviously very usefull, as is mine, but try booking an airplane ticket on the internet with it. No problem in Europe but in Thailand it's a differnt story. All the airlines want a Visa/Mastercard etc. I can't understand why. Perhaps there's more fraud with direct debit cards in Thailand than else where.

IMO it's a debit-card only but with the VISA logo (not VISA electron logo) but the writing on the top in the side of the card "ELECTRONIC USE ONLY".

That's the last series from "Be1st". Why they have changed the logo?

I have a MasterCard debit card from SCB freely issued, it also has 'for electronic use only' printed on it and it is good to purchase stuff in stores with except it is issued with a 20,000bht limit, that maybe could be changed.

I do not have a work permit.

I have a retirement visa, and a Visa charge card - not a debit card.

At first no Bank would give me one, no matter what my bank balance as I did not have a real job, and to their way of thinking could not pay the bill.

The solution at Bangkok Bank, was to place 300K in a term deposit, and they would give me a 300K Visa limit.

Their initial position was a 500K TD for a 300K limit, with the logic being that they needed security in the event that I did not pay the bill and intrest racked up to the tune of 200K.

Clearly not a good deal for me, and after a lot of complaning they agreed to a credit limit equal to the term deposit.

Still not a good deal, and not really a "credit" card, but all I could get.

Just went throught the procedure again with Kasakorn Bank to avoid having money tied up in a negatative real growth TD, but no luck as I am deemed unworthy without a job.

I have a MasterCard debit card from SCB freely issued, it also has 'for electronic use only' printed on it and it is good to purchase stuff in stores with except it is issued with a 20,000bht limit, that maybe could be changed.

I do not have a work permit.

Thanks Hog Head. Very usefull info. Looks like I've got to change my bank. I guess my 400k visa money will do as a holding deposit.

Also look in to the fairly new, high interest, term deposits that some banks are offering. Be careful that they don't lock your money into a low/no interest term deposit (while they take your money and re-invest it in a high-interest deposit).

Might as well make your money work for you, as you had to work to get it ! :o

Bangkok Bank did not offer this TD guaranteeing Visa scheme until I pointed out that I had more than enough cash in their bank to be cardworthy.

They then suggested locking a portion into a term deposit specifically to guarantee the Visa card.

Once this was arranged, I took all but the 300K TD to Tanachart Bank as they seem to have the highest rates. Even still it lags behing inflation.

I do not see why your marriage 400K could serve dual duty

Robert

Bangkok Bank did not offer this TD guaranteeing Visa scheme until I pointed out that I had more than enough cash in their bank to be cardworthy.

They then suggested locking a portion into a term deposit specifically to guarantee the Visa card.

Once this was arranged, I took all but the 300K TD to Tanachart Bank as they seem to have the highest rates. Even still it lags behing inflation.

I do not see why your marriage 400K could serve dual duty

Robert

A visit to my UOB bank is on the cards for Wednesday, to see what their response is to this idea. I'll let everyone know the result. Never heard of the Tanachart Bank? I live on Phuket and don't venture to Bangkok unless it absolutely necessary.

I may have the spelling wrong and it might be Tanachart or the like.

I live in Chiangmai and there are two here. I understand that they are one of the smaller banks, but there is government deposit insurance to guarantee bank solvency. This was unlimited on personal acccounts, and is scheduled to creep down to 4 then 1 million per account. Do not know what the limit is now.

Small banks are OK for me as the service is personal, no queue, no take a number to be served, etc. As long as there is sufficent deposit insurance in the event they go TU, it is OK for me.

Check the rates in Bangkok Post every week. You will see a table of who offers what.

robert

Never heard of the Tanachart Bank? I live on Phuket and don't venture to Bangkok unless it absolutely necessary.

I am Canadian, and to claim non-resident status for tax reasons it was necessary to sever all ties to Canada. Having a credit card is a huge red flag the Revenue'rs look for.

Robert

cancelling CCs from your home country is unwise, dont do it. I kept all mine open thank god

For those who want to use credit/debit card for online(internet) transition/purchasing, try Kasikorn e-Web card.

It's virtual visa debit card. Before, they don't have CVV (3-digit secure numbers), now, they have it. You don't need a work permit or marriage creti. or non-immg visa or anything hassling. Open a saving account at Kasikornbank, apply K-cyber banking(internet banking) and then apply e-Web card.

More detail here..

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=75485

I am with Kasikorn too and have the e-web facility which is great for us who are unable to obtain a credit card here. I do recall though that I did produce my work permit when opening the savings accounto which the e-web virtual card is linked.

The OP could always get hsi wife/gf to open the account though and apply for cyberbanking and the e-web facility.

Good luck!

Most banks will give you a Visa if you have a work permit and can prove you have an income of about 50.000 to 70.000 baht a month depending on the bank. For Thais it's only about 15.000 Baht a month!!!

If your wife has a credit card it's easier to get a supplement card in her name.

Monthly NET income can be as high as 100,000 for Farangs (SCB). If you run your own business, you have to be the MD on permanent Worpermit for at least three years (Bank of Asia, now UOB).

I had to "lock" 50kBht in my Bangkok Bank savings account in order to get a real Visa CC with a 50k limit. I have a non-i O (retirement) visa. BTW, I spent lots of time on the phone with a "supervisor" in the credit card dept at BB just to determine whether they issued a Visa CC to someone with my circumstances. (They did.) Don't even bother talking to an underling. However, when I went to my branch office, they told me "not without a work permit." I stood my ground, and then the clerk filled out the application for me (it's in Thai.) It should arrive by Friday in the mail. I hope so... my "be-1st" electron Visa Card is useless on the internet or with airlines as it has no 3 digit security code on the back.

I am Canadian, and to claim non-resident status for tax reasons it was necessary to sever all ties to Canada. Having a credit card is a huge red flag the Revenue'rs look for.

Robert

cancelling CCs from your home country is unwise, dont do it. I kept all mine open thank god

Hmmm, interesting. I kept my dozen or so CCs from US. I never want to sever ties and live like 2nd class citizen in a foreign land. That's too scary for me

The card you've been issued will be a Visa electron. That's a direct debit card, not a credit card. It's obviously very useful, as is mine, but try booking an airplane ticket on the internet with it. No problem in Europe but in Thailand it's a different story. All the airlines want a Visa/Mastercard etc. I can't understand why. Perhaps there's more fraud with direct debit cards in Thailand than else where.

I have a Visa Electron card, (Yes, I know it's a debit card) issued by the Bank of Scotland, and I use it regularly and easily to book flights and hotels, over the Internet, in Thailand. Coincidently, I used it this morning. The card has a 3-digit security code on the back.

According to a survey by Sainsbury's and the Bank of Scotland, although the majority of people believed their card was most at risk in Spain, most overseas fraud on UK cards takes place in the US (19%), followed by France (17%), with Spain third (16%), then Italy (6%) and Turkey (3%). Thailand doesn't come even close.

I used this argument with the Bank of Scotland itself when they wouldn't renew my Visa credit card. They sent me a computer generated letter, with no signature, claiming that Thailand was a major risk country and so I hit them with their own survey. They sent a replacement quickly by registered post to Thailand and all I had to do was to telephone the BoS when it arrived safely so that they could activate it. I have had a third replacement since then.

Thanks Hog Head. Very usefull info. Looks like I've got to change my bank. I guess my 400k visa money will do as a holding deposit.

I would not do that without clearing it with immigration as the account is expected to be a passbook deposit type that you use for ongoing support. They are talking time deposit.

if your income (pension, etc) is paid by a UK organization in sterling simply open a bank account in the UK and pay in the remittances using a UK address if available. I've used First Direct (UK HSBC affiliate) for 15 years as you can do all the transactions on the phone from wherever you are (internet banking not available to customers with overseas IP, I believe). You will be issued an ATM card that you can use in Thailand and with a sufficient balance you will be offered a credit card. All account statements, replacement cards, etc to be sent to the UK address.

I have been with First Direct and Natwest VISA for over 15 years now and my mailing address has followed me all over the world with statements and replacement cards following on. But maybe I'm a special case as I am a long term customer...better to use a UK address if you have one.

Not sure what this would mean in terms of UK taxation, however...

Why don't you apply again for a VISA card in the UK? If you still have one or more bank accounts there, it should be no problem to get a credit card back home. I am from Switzerland and have still a Master Card and a VISA card funded by 2 different Swiss Bank accounts. Here in Thailand I only have a charge card from Siam Commercial Bank. It's ok to pay at any counter or to get cash from ATM machines. At Siam Commercial Bank in Koh Samui, when I asked about a credit card, they told me, that I need a monthly income of at least 1500 TB other wise they would not issue a credit card. Even if I had half a million Baht on the account... TIT!

:D

If you have a visa electron card in Thailand issued from a savings account: and you were to lose it, or be mugged etc. what security measures do you have in place if you savings account is large?

Visa electron is a debit card, and surely in Thailand: purchases from 'bent' stores would quickly accumulate and you could lose the lot?

O.P. I recommend the Thai Farmers Bank e-card with the 3 numbers. Savings account opened in minutes, even on a visit visa. Just take your passport to the bank.

Maybe good news on the horizon for those of us without a WP who can only get a Visa Debit Card from a Thai bank.

Article in Bangkok post last week. Visa are concerned that although there are 12million debit cards in circulation in Thailand they are used almost exclusively as ATM cards, unlike in the west where debit card use for purchases is very high. They are in talks with Thai banks to look to encourage use. Maybe they will put pressure on airlines and hotel booking agencies (my preferences) to accept online use.

I have read elsewhere that some banks will issue a credit card without WP if you provide a security deposit equalling or greater than the credit limit. That rather defeats the point of a credit card, but I suppoes it solves the problem of using plastic online.