Assange to leave embassy 'when UK agrees'

webfact

If he is wanted by the UK for skipping bail, would that charge automatically go away if the law is changed?

Good point. You would have to assume that it has already been agreed the arrest warrant will be revoked if the revised law is legislated , plus funds returned to his bail guarantors. Then what can of worms will be opened for people previously extradited to European jurisdictions, some lawyers will be rubbing their hands in delight

Edited by simple1

What a disgraceful waste of £7 million ($12.6 million) that could have been spent for the benefit of UK taxpayers not simply kow towing to the needs of another countrybah.gif

Julian Assange plans to leave Ecuadorian embassy a free man after changes to UK laws

In an exclusive subsequent interview with Fairfax Media however, Mr Assange clarified his remarks by referring to what he described as “a range of important legal developments in the United Kingdom,” especially the British government’s decision to opt out of the European Arrest Warrant system under which Sweden sought his extradition to be questioned about sexual assault and rape allegations first raised in August 2010. clap2.gif

http://www.smh.com.au/world/julian-assange-plans-to-leave-ecuadorian-embassy-a-free-man-after-changes-to-uk-laws-20140818-105kqu.html

They're not kow towing, I would like to see the response of British people if the boot was on the other foot and we were trying to extradite someone from Sweden with the same result. He's wasted enough taxpayer money, we should hand him over either to Sweden or his own Australian government and let them waste their tax payers money.

I think the British government would be very happy to do so if could get their hands on that slimy individual, as for 7 million yes it is a lot of money, but how much would they have spent in normal circumstances on diplomatic protection? not forgetting the £220 million just squandered by the Home Office. http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/aug/18/uk-bill-eborders-contract-termination-raytheon

If he even got to a Swedish jail, it would only be a holding cell until the US came and got him. The weird part is he is not even wanted on a criminal charge, just for "questioning". I imagine the US has a different set of questions for him that have nothing what so ever to do with not using a condom.

The world has moved on and Wikileaks has moved on. He's yesterdays news and all he will be able to do is write his memoirs and keep looking over his shoulder because they will get it. 1 year, 10 years, 20 years, but they will get him.

Like they infected Philip Agee with perforated ulcers and bribed Cuban doctors to kill him during the operation. When he was 72.
You watch a lot of spy movies, do you? Those Hollywood people sure know what they're talking about!

The world has moved on and Wikileaks has moved on. He's yesterdays news and all he will be able to do is write his memoirs and keep looking over his shoulder because they will get it. 1 year, 10 years, 20 years, but they will get him.

Like they infected Philip Agee with perforated ulcers and bribed Cuban doctors to kill him during the operation. When he was 72.
You watch a lot of spy movies, do you? Those Hollywood people sure know what they're talking about!

Just been reading up on Philip Agee whom I knew nothing about. Seems that Edward Snowden has learned from that case.

But are you being sarcastic about Cuban doctors being bribed to kill him? Nothing about it in the articles (including Wikipedia) I looked at.

If he is wanted by the UK for skipping bail, would that charge automatically go away if the law is changed?

Good point. You would have to assume that it has already been agreed the arrest warrant will be revoked if the revised law is legislated , plus funds returned to his bail guarantors. Then what can of worms will be opened for people previously extradited to European jurisdictions, some lawyers will be rubbing their hands in delight

Got that wrong, legislation has been passed, but a news report I listened to stated (if it was accurate) will not be retroactive so Assange will not benefit

If he even got to a Swedish jail, it would only be a holding cell until the US came and got him. The weird part is he is not even wanted on a criminal charge, just for "questioning". I imagine the US has a different set of questions for him that have nothing what so ever to do with not using a condom.

I think Julian will wish his father had used a condom.

I know I wish he had.

• Like 2

What is he in trouble for anyway? He published information supplied to him by an American serviceman (at the time he was) who had disgracefully easy access to classified information. If he changed his name by deed poll to New York times, they would not lay a hand on him. Land of the Free (if you agree).

What is he in trouble for anyway? He published information supplied to him by an American serviceman (at the time he was) who had disgracefully easy access to classified information. If he changed his name by deed poll to New York times, they would not lay a hand on him. Land of the Free (if you agree).

He's in trouble for jumping bail.